PDA

View Full Version : Photography gloves!!!

stoogest
08-08-2009, 5:51pm
It's taken me a long time but I've finally found some gloves for when I'm taking photos in winter!

My requirements were:

1) to keep my hands/fingers warm before, during and after a winter photography session
2) to not necessarily be 'toasty', but to simply stave off the cold enough to allow flexibility in the fingers
3) to be thin enough to allow me to still feel the camera buttons/dials through the material
4) to be grippy enough that my fingers weren't sliding over buttons/dials when changing settings

Most gloves I had come across met the first two criteria, and a few met the third or fourth criteria. However none at all met all four....until today!!

I was down at one of the local camping stores and found these Brooks gloves. I thnk they are actually designed for runners, but they suit my needs perfectly.

If you look closely at the underside of the tip of the thumb and index finger you will see a white and a black dot respectively. Both dots are actually made of a thin rubber compund and are designed for operating ipods or other MP3 players. It's so simple, but really really effective as they still allow you to feel the camera controls through the material and are really grippy.

The other fantastic option is that the thumb has a 'fold over' type arrangement where you can actually peel the glove back over your thumb so that you can get full sensation if required.

About the only down side is the price. But as I hadn't seen anything that even came close to these I was happy to fork out the extra $10-20 or so.

Stoked!!! :th3: :D :D :D :efelant:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc263/andrewstrikis/DSC_4255.jpg

BigEyedBeans
08-08-2009, 6:30pm
I saw these the other day.. you got them from my fave shop in Hobart!!! :P
Great find.. it's always a really important item to have in your camera bag when shooting in Tassie! Sunrise shoots on Mt Wellington in winter is impossible without something to protect your hands!!

DAdeGroot
08-08-2009, 6:45pm
Apparently Lowepro also make "Photography Gloves".

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Photo-Gloves,1990.htm

ricktas
08-08-2009, 7:16pm
I got mine from Anaconda, similar style and even though I rarely notice the cold weather, they have come in handy a few times. Amy has worn them as well.

AmPhot
08-08-2009, 7:48pm
I put my pair of Kathmandu Windstoppers to good use last week when I got up for some dawn shots at North Narrabeen. Not sure if these are the same ones but they look very similiar :
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Mens/Accessories/11914/Windfleece_Gloves_v3.html

Mine have leather pads on 3 of the finger tips which makes them perfect to operate the camera. :)

R1titan
09-08-2009, 12:48pm
Nice one...
A few weeks ago i was also in need of gloves as i took my camera up to the snow.
Mine a a little thicker but along the same lines, its a Mountain Designs Mission glove.
Yours was cheap for that price!! i think i paid about $75 for the pair!!

pgbphotographytas
09-08-2009, 5:51pm
I used to have a pair of the Lowepro ones, I quite liked them.

JM Tran
09-08-2009, 8:04pm
I recommend NOMEX Flight Gloves used by western military and special forces the world over

originally made for airman and crew, they are warm and thin enough to operate weapons, consoles, radio, GPS and tiny little fiddly things but provide protection against the elements and is fire retardant etc

stoogest
09-08-2009, 8:13pm
Wow, they look hard core!!

jeb
12-08-2009, 4:43pm
Thanks for the tip - might need to check these out as we're heading to Tassie for 2 weeks holiday this weekend and my nice warm gloves that keep my hands from freezing in Canberra in winter are a bit too bulky to be using a camera. Will have to check them out. :)

Debra Faulkner
12-08-2009, 6:23pm
Thanks for sharing that Andrew - glad you are happy with them. I've been thinking about getting a pair of useful gloves so now I have a shop to go to :D

makro
12-05-2010, 7:31pm
Hi,

I am in the market for a pair of gloves for winter photography and came across this thread. I am interested in the Brooks and NOMEX flight gloves any ideas where I can get them in Melbourne.

Thanks in advance.
Mak

Jeanette
12-05-2010, 7:45pm
oh gorgous do they come in Pink :)
just kidding :) they look super

Paul G
12-05-2010, 8:44pm
Saw a doco today on ABC just before lunch about an Aussie photog who shoots for National Geographic or Aus Geographic and he was shooting in Antarctica. I'd like to know what gloves he was using....