PDA

View Full Version : Craftright - Safe Case

MarkChap
08-08-2009, 11:56am
I picked up this Hard Case - Pelican knock off up from Bunnings for $69.00.
There were a range of colours to chose from as long as you wanted Yellow.

The outside dimensions are 465mmx360mmx170mm making it roughly about the same size as the 1500 Pelican case.
The case is made from a 3-5mm thick Poly / plastic material which appears similar to that of the pelicans.

The inside dimensions are approx 425mmx290mmx160mm. (120mm base & 40mm lid)
The case comes with 40mm convoluted Foam for the lid and 30mm for the base and pick and pluck foam, the pick and pluck foam is in 2 layers of about 30mm thick, which will allow you store both thinner and thicker items by only removing one layer of the foam.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/Bay_Firey/Camera/IMG_1758.jpg

The lid has a rubber seal all round to provide the advertised water resistance and is also stated to be air tight and dust proof.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/Bay_Firey/Camera/IMG_1751.jpg

The lid has a positive detent on opening that requires a deliberate action to close, this stops the lid falling closed when it is wanted to stay open.
The hinges appear to be a stainless steel pin although I think that would actually only be a chrome / zinc plated steel
There is provision for padlocks to make the case secure
The latches whilst not a double action as on the Pelican are very sturdy and positive
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/Bay_Firey/Camera/IMG_1752.jpg

The handle is a one piece moulded arrangement with a very positive hinge
There is also a threaded knob with an o'ring that seems similar to the Pressure Equalisation Valve advertised on the Pelicans
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/Bay_Firey/Camera/IMG_1759.jpg

Whilst I am unable to comment first hand on the Pelican cases, this case provides good value for money for the average user.

yummymummy
08-08-2009, 10:23pm
awesome Mark, these look great!! Might have to grab one for my gear :) :th3:

Darn
11-08-2009, 10:23am
For tassie people...
Found these in the rosny bunnings store (across the road from macca's) very happy with my purchase think i might even go back and get another for future camera gear! :)

Read somewhere the launceston bunnings had them in stock also.

Bear Dale
11-08-2009, 10:33am
A much better review than I did -

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=29801

And they've dropped in price!

pgbphotographytas
11-08-2009, 10:53am
For tassie people...
Found these in the rosny bunnings store (across the road from macca's) very happy with my purchase think i might even go back and get another for future camera gear! :)

Read somewhere the launceston bunnings had them in stock also.

Launceston didn't have last time I checked :( I was tempted to get one but with my current set up by bag suits me well.

Miaow
11-08-2009, 5:59pm
Just got one today from Bunnings heaps of room:)

Here's the setup at pres (at least onbe more peice of pick and pack foam left in case i change things lol)

Darn
12-08-2009, 3:07pm
Launceston didn't have last time I checked :( I was tempted to get one but with my current set up by bag suits me well.

Be sure to have a look around the store yourself most of the people working at the stores have no idea about most of there stock :)

pgbphotographytas
12-08-2009, 3:23pm
Be sure to have a look around the store yourself most of the people working at the stores have no idea about most of there stock :)

Well after a very quick change of my plans yesterday after spotting a second body + lens cheap for Sabrina to use I went and got one last night :)

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z11/tanger32au/12082009_Cwork1.jpg

I am going to cut out a bit of the empty space in the middle to put spares batteries, SD cards and cables tonight :)

Bear Dale
12-08-2009, 5:07pm
Looks good......even though it's Nikon stuff :angel6:

Miaow
12-08-2009, 6:36pm

Paul/Sabrina's is Pentax :)

Bear Dale
12-08-2009, 6:57pm
Paul/Sabrina's is Pentax :)

:o :o :o :o

:eek: :eek:

<joke>

Prang
12-08-2009, 8:59pm
Great find, the big question is what is the screw in the front for?:confused013

These are one off stock I was told, so they wont be replaced.

pgbphotographytas
12-08-2009, 9:30pm

Sorry but it is Pentax gear :th3:

Darn
14-08-2009, 5:10pm

no idea what that does either :confused013

pgbphotographytas
14-08-2009, 8:31pm

It is a pressure release screw, you undo it after air travel so the case will open easily.

Dawixe
17-08-2009, 7:00pm
Nice find must pay bunnings a visit

pgbphotographytas
19-08-2009, 8:37am
Has anybody found an easy way to carry these while out and about?

Mine will be spending most of it's time just being used to transport the gear in the car and then I grab what I need and leave the rest in the car but I will have times when I wants to carry the case, I have found an idea that I think will work and will have some photos up later on hopefully showing it.

Paul

Bear Dale
19-08-2009, 9:17am
Mine are just for transport. I wouldn't like to carry them to far.

kiwi
19-08-2009, 10:02am
carry it inside a backpack :eek:

No charge.

My local Bunnings had none. :rolleyes:

MarkChap
19-08-2009, 10:08am
Paul,
If you have a look at the images above you will notice a smallish U shaped device on the front - it is called a handle, to the best of mine they are provided for carrying :th3: :D

pgbphotographytas
19-08-2009, 11:09am
Paul,
If you have a look at the images above you will notice a smallish U shaped device on the front - it is called a handle, to the best of mine they are provided for carrying :th3: :D

Thanks, my idea was more "hands free" :th3:

pgbphotographytas
19-08-2009, 1:19pm
For those of you with these cases, here are some photos of how I have attached a strap to it for carrying around on my shoulder.
The strap you can see in the last one is from an old laptop bag.

I purchased some screw in eyelets and have mounted these to the front corners in about the middle of the case so it is balanced to carry with the lid towards me.

Paul

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z11/tanger32au/190820096.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z11/tanger32au/190820093.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z11/tanger32au/190820092.jpg

Tricky
20-08-2009, 5:01pm
Thanks for the review. So cheap that I couldn't resist picking one up myself - had to call a few Bunnies until I found one with stock.

However, bit disappointed that they're aren't just a little bit bigger... 10cm extra in each direction would mean I could fit all my kit in one box... as it is, no chance. Nevertheless, will be useful for transporting on those occasions when the going might get rough.

umajo
20-08-2009, 6:51pm
i got mine today in the toolbox section of bunnings, i rang them they said they had none went in and looked in the toolbox section and they had about 12 of them!!!! so better to look yourself now i just need to mark it out and cut out. i wanted mine so i can have my large lens on my camera and as it is always in the dual cab on the red dust farm it will keep some dust out of my camera

trigger
21-08-2009, 1:27pm
I went to bunnings today was about to get a few of these cases and found a ton of them at Ashfield Bunnings. There is a whole pallet load of them in front of the power tools section.

About the item. I was disappointed at the size of it though. I thought it was bigger and deeper. I mistook it for another yellow case I used before and thought it was the same thing. Turns out that was actually a branded Storm case. Very Very similar including the colour as well!.

pgbphotographytas
21-08-2009, 1:46pm
About the item. I was disappointed at the size of it though. I thought it was bigger and deeper. I mistook it for another yellow case I used before and thought it was the same thing. Turns out that was actually a branded Storm case. Very Very similar including the colour as well!.

I think a lot of people are disappointed by the size, if it was 3cm biger each way it would be so much more usable.

umajo
21-08-2009, 3:06pm
i use mainly two lenses on the farm so all is good for me as often my large lens needs to be on the camera so mine is all good and a lot better than just sitting on the seat:th3:

trigger
21-08-2009, 3:56pm
damn it... i couldnt resist i came home with two....:(

I think a lot of people are disappointed by the size, if it was 3cm biger each way it would be so much more usable.

trigger
21-08-2009, 7:04pm
and after an hour of tetris...

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7995/p1020075m.jpg

Tricky
22-08-2009, 8:25pm
damn it... i couldnt resist i came home with two....:(

and after an hour of tetris...

:D:D:D

I'm holding off with my own game of tetris until I take receipt of a Siggy 30mm next week. I want to pack as much as possible in just one case, though starting to think I'm gonna need a second one...

Paul G
22-08-2009, 11:17pm
Hmmm I think I might check out the local Bunnings tomorrow too!

Although I can just see everyone turning up at some of the AP meets....hmmm now which one of those is mine?

Q97
23-08-2009, 2:48am
Hmmm I think I might check out the local Bunnings tomorrow too!

They had some when I was there a few days ago. Up the front, past the hire equipment. No spare money though...:(

Tricky
23-08-2009, 12:45pm
Although I can just see everyone turning up at some of the AP meets....hmmm now which one of those is mine?

:D Hmmm, I'm wondering whether an option would be to spray paint mine a nice shade of matt black?? Suspect the first time it gets a knock, there would be a big yellow scratch showing through!

bigdazzler
23-08-2009, 1:32pm
I picked up the last one from my local Bunnings this morning .. think ill use mine for my lenses.

Tricky
23-08-2009, 3:52pm
Jaycar do an aluminium case in similar dimensions (maybe a little smaller?), also with pick/pluck foam, for $79 - see here (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HB6356&keywords=case&form=KEYWORD).

They also do an ABS plastic case similar to Bunning's yellow one, except that its in black... however, Jaycar want $159 for it! See here (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HB6386&keywords=case&form=KEYWORD).

Seesee
23-08-2009, 11:08pm
Has anybody found an easy way to carry these while out and about?

Mine will be spending most of it's time just being used to transport the gear in the car and then I grab what I need and leave the rest in the car but I will have times when I wants to carry the case, I have found an idea that I think will work and will have some photos up later on hopefully showing it.

Paul

Exactly....I dont think they serve any purpose except if travelling to avoid damage by rough baggage handlers. Leaving the kit in the car is not someting I'd advise...unless you want your car broken into and gear stolen. Better idea to take only what you want on any one day and carry it with you....never leave it in the car.

pgbphotographytas
24-08-2009, 7:30am
Exactly....I dont think they serve any purpose except if travelling to avoid damage by rough baggage handlers. Leaving the kit in the car is not someting I'd advise...unless you want your car broken into and gear stolen. Better idea to take only what you want on any one day and carry it with you....never leave it in the car.

I 100% agree, I have now split up mine and Sabrina's gear in to a bag each and we carry this.

jgtsai
24-08-2009, 5:06pm
I picked up the last one from my local Bunnings this morning .. think ill use mine for my lenses.

Ditto.

For those interested, there seem to be plenty at Mascot Bunnings (NSW). 7 "loose" ones sitting on top of a crate which was full of more of these.

umajo
24-08-2009, 5:22pm
i thought maybe stickers on mine and i use mine to stop dust in the 4wd on the farm with my bird lens on

Tricky
26-08-2009, 10:42pm
Well, much to my surprise, I managed to fit pretty much my entire kit into the Craftright... :th3:

Bit of shoe-horning required, but managed to fit:
1 x body
6 x lenses plus lens hoods, including a 70-200
1 x 1.4 teleconverter
1 x 580EX2 flash
2 x spare batteries for body and 4 x spare rechargeable AA eneloops for flash
1 x silica humidity absorber

Anyone manage to fit in more kit?! Maybe we can have a 'weigh-off' :D:rolleyes:

Trying to decide whether to use the second pick&pluck layer. Probably doesn't need it, everything is pretty snug and clamped when the lid goes down. Maybe just save it for future use, should I require some re-arranging.

Oh, btw, did anyone else's craftright sticker fall off after about 3 secs...? Looks better without...:p

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/Tricky999/Craftright_sm.jpg

Miaow
27-08-2009, 5:31pm
Trying to decide whether to use the second pick&pluck layer. Probably doesn't need it, everything is pretty snug and clamped when the lid goes down. Maybe just save it for future use, should I require some re-arranging.

Oh, btw, did anyone else's craftright sticker fall off after about 3 secs...? Looks better without...:p

Yeah i havent used the 2nd as yet in case i decide to re-arrange? agree seems safe and wont move only using one

And yep the sticker came off - im going to superglue my ap patch i have in the place :) i think 3yo was cause of sticker coming off in ways lol

Tricky
27-08-2009, 5:48pm
And yep the sticker came off - im going to superglue my ap patch i have in the place :)

Ahh, that's a good idea :)

As to a weigh-off, I've just seen Analog's case on this thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=384610#post384610)- I'm soundly beaten!

Miaow
27-08-2009, 6:07pm
ooh wonder on the weigh of if i can get the 350D and 75-300 in same case :) dont think it would add much though :)

Seesee
02-09-2009, 2:10pm
For the southern Adelaideans..........Bunnings at Noarlunga has some in stock as I seem some a few days ago...not sure on price.

Must say here is something one of the mods...Spacejunk said once that I think is a wise idea, never leave what is obviously special gear in your car like one of these boxes, place it inside and esky so it just looks like someones lunch and less chance of theft.

AzzA
03-09-2009, 11:01pm
Thanks for posting this info up, especially the pics. Been hearing about these cases but hadnt seen them yet. These look pretty decent, so does the price.
The Pelican's are probably overkill for me (and alot of other people)
Cheers

Whisky_Mac
04-09-2009, 1:21pm
Well, I just picked up my Bunnings case, there are still some up on the top shelf at Wodonga store. Do you guys have any other suggestions for arranging it, I would like a 90mm Macro at some stage and would love a 24-70mm.

Pictured is quick and dirt shot of my first suggestion of fitting things, but hard to make room for upgrades.

Tricky
06-09-2009, 10:16am
Well, I just picked up my Bunnings case, there are still some up on the top shelf at Wodonga store. Do you guys have any other suggestions for arranging it, I would like a 90mm Macro at some stage and would love a 24-70mm.

Pictured is quick and dirt shot of my first suggestion of fitting things, but hard to make room for upgrades.

Well, you probably only need to use one of the two supplied pick & pluck layers, allowing you a second go at a layout sometime down the road if the equipment line-up changes.

As principle, to leave open as many options as possible, consider filling the box outwards from a corner, staying as close as possible to the edge (one row of foam I think is enough; two rows really eats into the available space). I would probably also choose a bottom corner to start from and then stay along the bottom: to keep the centre of gravity low if your case is only half-full, so its less likely to topple over if stood up vertically (which is pretty much how you've got it, now that I look at your picture!).

Tricky
03-03-2010, 10:37pm
Contacted Bunnings today to find out if any Brissy stores had any Craftright cases left. They told me Carseldine had eight. I called up the store and they went to look for them... no luck, they had no idea where the cases were located.

On my way back from work I stopped off myself to have a look and enlisted a small army of Bunnings staff to search the store with me (it was pretty empty and they seemed happy to have a mission!)... still no luck. I give up. Should have bought two first time round.

41jas
03-03-2010, 10:56pm
Mark, sounds like you made some sales for Bunnings. It's good to share good deals like this. I've only just seen the thread.

cupic
04-03-2010, 10:46pm
I have heard good reports on these cheap knock-off to Pelicans(As I bought 3 of these but returned them)bit wasn't prepared to commit to them and trust them,ah well my loss someone's gain

cheers

Tricky
17-08-2011, 10:59pm
Well, much to my surprise, I managed to fit pretty much my entire kit into the Craftright... :th3:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/Tricky999/Craftright_sm.jpg

Resurrecting a long-buried thread here, but thought it was amusing to see how the contents of my yellow Bunnings marvel has developed over the years... I saw them in stock recently and picked up another one as a spare (also have a geniune Pelican 1500). Still a tight fit. Macro kit lives in the Pelican...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/Tricky999/Bunningscasev2.jpg

pgbphotographytas
06-08-2012, 10:13am
Jaycar are now also stocking cases like this, a little bit more expensive for the given sizes but still work quite well.

wderiggs
28-10-2013, 6:21pm

The screw at the front is for significant altitude changes, if you go up to(or come down from) a high mountain when skiing/boarding/hiking, you can loosen the screw on the front for a moment and release the air :cool6:

I @ M
28-10-2013, 8:37pm
The screw at the front is for significant altitude changes, if you go up to(or come down from) a high mountain when skiing/boarding/hiking, you can loosen the screw on the front for a moment and release the air :cool6:

The biggest problem with selling that theory is that Oz doesn't have anything much over 2000 metres and that is pretty well irrelevant in altitude change.

Australia simply doesn't have mountains.

Mind you, taking the case 20 metres under the sea introduces a whole new fettle of kish when it comes to pressure but who wants to trust their gear to dodgy cases?

paulheath
28-10-2013, 8:52pm
just looking on bunnings website...... now only $39.98 for black only

wderiggs
03-11-2013, 12:57pm
The biggest problem with selling that theory is that Oz doesn't have anything much over 2000 metres and that is pretty well irrelevant in altitude change.

Australia simply doesn't have mountains.

Unfortunately you are correct Andrew, but good for traveling!