PDA

View Full Version : Weird Mouse Problem

Miaow
06-08-2009, 4:53pm
Today all of a sudden the mouse has been freezing then it would work for a second and then stop again and work again etc - It's wireless so I was thinking maybe the batteries - then (after numerous reboots and tests) I realised it's only happening in one specific program I have, some board games software that has been on here for ages and never had a problem with :confused:

Even after the program is shut down this freeze- small move -freeze -small move etc continues so I end up having to reboot it to fix it

It's not happening unless I run that games software - I've un-installed that and reinstalled it and still it's happening?

Im a bit confused here lol Anything I can do?

Edited to add there was no problem this morning with the game (play it numerous times a day) but since lunch time has started it?

Miaow
06-08-2009, 5:43pm
Hmm i'll try one more install - notice it left a bit of stuff there so maybe thats a cause :/

brindyman
06-08-2009, 5:45pm
is their anything that is going on in the background maybe? like a virus scan or something that may be using the cpu?.....i dont think its a mouse problem i think its got something more to do with cpu or memory bandwidth and available space left.....if the cpu/memory is jumping up to 100% while your playing your game then you know thats the prob.

their is one way it might be doing this The default power setting in the "Power Saver" plan limits the CPU to 50 percent. Open the Power Options in control panel and change it to "High Performance" to give it full throttle.

you may also have too many services running that you dont need this can be done by:

2. To stop services at start up..

• Click Start then Control Panel
• Select Program Features
• On the left panel, select Turn Windows Features on or off
• You can safely deselect:
o Indexing Service
o Remote Differential Compression
o Tablet PC Optional Components
o Windows DFS Replication Service
o Windows Fax & Scan (unless you use a modem for faxing)
o Windows Meeting Space (unless you use the Live Meeting Service

you can also take off programs from starting up so you get a faster boot time

this is done from the boot file but can be done either two ways the first is to

To stop programmes from start up.
Start>control panel>administrative tools>system configuration> then the start up tab.
Untick anything you don't need to load at start up.

the other way is to go start > run msconfig and go to the startup tab.

Hope that helps....let me know if any of that helped

Miaow
06-08-2009, 6:04pm
Thanks Ben, That's great on stopping things running at start up as I do need that I think (other reasons though) :)

But good news - must have been something screwy in the user data (that was left on the original uninstal - now I've deleted everything out of the dir and then reinstalled - it seems to be working fine - before would only last 2-3 mins before the mouse would die - managed 2 games then - just have lost all the user data for my stats lol

DAdeGroot
06-08-2009, 6:50pm
Thanks Ben, That's great on stopping things running at start up as I do need that I think (other reasons though) :)

But good news - must have been something screwy in the user data (that was left on the original uninstal - now I've deleted everything out of the dir and then reinstalled - it seems to be working fine - before would only last 2-3 mins before the mouse would die - managed 2 games then - just have lost all the user data for my stats lol

Are you sure it wasn't just a hair over the optical mouse's sensor ? That tends to make them do screwy things, sometimes stopping altogether. Might have saved yourself a lot of reinstalling ;-)

Miaow
06-08-2009, 6:56pm
no i tried everything Dave - did clean it also - as i said it was only that program - cant see if was something over the sensor that it would only affect one program?

Miaow
07-08-2009, 1:28pm
ARGH I give up :( it started happening again with it today :/ All i can think of it has another sub program (which i did access from it) and maybe was something in there :/ One more install and see what happens :/

Edit4ed new install working again but for how long :confused:

brindyman
07-08-2009, 2:15pm
i still say try the stuff i mentioned :P it cant hurt can it

Miaow
07-08-2009, 3:07pm
Yeah might have to try that Ben and see if helps - just cant see how all of a sudden I'd have this problem :confused:

And it stopped working again after about 20 mins (the games) so i have no uninstalled it permanently at this stage

brindyman
07-08-2009, 3:18pm
just cant see how all of a sudden I'd have this problem :confused:

one of the many joys operating systems throw at you :) computers are like cars......to keep them working in good working order you need to clean and service them to make sure they run reliabilty and effectively

Miaow
07-08-2009, 4:37pm
True lol though I do keep a good eye on it :)

Hmm starting to think actually it is the batteries in the mouse and maybe just coincdence its doing it on that one prog mainly - just happened emptying the recycle bin ....

Have swapped the batteries from tv remote and the mouse to see if much difference

I @ M
07-08-2009, 4:45pm
Mouse problem that is hard to solve, hmmm, get a cat. :D

Miaow
07-08-2009, 5:01pm
LOL well I have 2 of those plus me lol So should be solvable at some stage (I hope lol) :D

Miaow
07-08-2009, 5:07pm
BTW Ben had a look around as you were saying and cant seem to find things exactly like it? hmm are you talking Vista or XP? This is XP?

Another update now brand new batteries in the mouse

Miaow
08-08-2009, 9:47pm
hmm update since the new batteries all seems ok - Trevs dad though, who had the mouse/keyboard combo before, had never had that happen though even if going flat :confused: