PDA

View Full Version : RAW to JPEG??

Bohiemeth
03-08-2009, 4:45pm
Help lol

I have taken some photos at a wedding and want to post some of them (here and facebook)
What programs do you use to convert raw to jpeg?
I have a canon camera with the canon programs - it might be one of these- any recommendations?

(i started photographing in jpeg then switched to raw - i have been told raw is better for editing etc as it doesn't compress)

ricktas
03-08-2009, 4:59pm
Canon DPP software will let you convert from RAW to JPG if understand it correctly (hopefully a DPP user will be able to advise more fully).

You dont actually edit your RAW file, you make your edits to a viewable version and then have to save as TIFF / JPG etc, your RAW file is like 'negative' and will always be the same, so you can edit the same RAW file in several different ways if you want to.

jev
03-08-2009, 5:11pm
Yep, Rick is right - DPP (Digital Photo Professional) is the way to go. Setup parameters, convert to JPEG and/or TIFF (if you want to do further editing in other software).

Nicholas N
03-08-2009, 5:26pm
Keep in mind if you just convert from RAW direct to JPEG with no PP they are probably going to be a little lacklutre.

RAW does not do any in-camera sharpening or tonal corections and I find every RAW file needs PP no matter what.

Best thing to do is set up a batch processing system and whack them all with the unsharp mask or some other sharpeneing tools and whack them with +10 Saturation and +10 Contrast.

Bohiemeth
03-08-2009, 8:55pm
Thank you all, just finished converting them! had a play with the program as well (DPP) lots of cool stuff you can do with raw images.

Cheers!