PDA

View Full Version : Manual control or Automatic for Canon Speedlite 430 EX II

David
28-07-2009, 10:52am
I have a question relating to my Canon 400D and the new speedlite 430 EX II I recently acquired.

According to the Canon 400D Manual there is is customer function (page 105) called

Custom Function C. Fn8 for E- TTL II

The 2 options are

0: Evaluative : This provides fully automatic flash photography in all light conditions including automatic exposure compensation. The camera is integrated with the Speedlite and all you do with the Speedlite is turn the thing on, thats it, apparently.

1: Average: Geared for users who want to control the Speedlite. It averages the entire flash metering area (as opposed to what ?). Also in this custom mode the camera will not execute automatic Exposure Compensation, so it may need to be adjusted.

QUESTIONS

A. What does the evaluative mode measure for flash exposure if not the entire flash metering areas (option 1) ?

B. Do I have to have this custom function set to 1 not 0 to be able to manually manipulate the settings etc on the Speedlite ?

C. What are the advantages (if any) of having 'control over the speedlite' ? cf just leaving it as it is, automated via the camera ?

I guess the simple answer for a newbie to all this would be leave it in the default mode (0) and get more experience before you try going away from the automatic Speedlite via camera controls option, then think about changing to self control of the speedlite and manual setting/manipulations when you know more about Strobism.

If I did switch to the control the Speedlite option, I dont mind having to adjust the Exposure Compensation and have actioned a custom function that gets me direct quick access to EC by simply pushing the SET button after the shot if necessary to adjust the EC for the next shot. Im getting my head around FEL thingo too.

Comments and suggestions most welcome from anyone with more than my level of Strobism experience, which would be 0.
:)

Miaow
28-07-2009, 2:24pm
I cant help as yet on the questions but I'll be watching this since I just got one also :)

lloydy
29-07-2009, 7:43pm
Really complex stuff... and lots more to know, believe me... I found a really great article on the Canon EOS flash system that explains how this all works in easy to understand terms.

see here

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

hope this helps
Pete

David
29-07-2009, 10:11pm
Really complex stuff... and lots more to know, believe me... I found a really great article on the Canon EOS flash system that explains how this all works in easy to understand terms.

see here

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

hope this helps
Pete

Thanks Pete for the great link: Looks like Ive got some serious homework to do now :)

Dawixe
17-08-2009, 2:09pm
Nice..... been looking into this for ages. Thanks

pollen
20-08-2009, 2:08am
Average averages the scene when the camera meters

Evaluative uses a complex algorithm to do the metering

The biggest difference i have seen is that basically average will give you more predictable results, whereas Evaluative will strongly bias towards underexposure when there is a bright object close to you (e.g. if you are photographing a group of people from one end of a restaurant table with white cloth, the white cloth will cause the camera to underexpose the flash exposure under evaluative, whereas it will be blown out in average metering)

If you ride your FEC when using Evaluative you should be fine, but otherwise Average is decent but make sure you use RAW so you can rescue the inevitable over exposures

David
20-08-2009, 6:45am
Thanks Pollen: Im very very new to flash light work and have sooo much to learn.