PDA

View Full Version : Skin softening techniques ??

bigdazzler
27-07-2009, 7:37am
For all the portrait photographers, what skin softening techniques/software do you use ??

Im having some trouble with this in PP and need some help ..

ricktas
27-07-2009, 7:58am
what software Daz?

If PS, head over to www.atncentral.com and check out some of the actions, glamour glow etc. Just a trick, run your action, then place over original photo as a layer and mask out the glow/soften layer around the eyes and lips, and even some of the hair, and any jewellery, to bring back the sharpness to those areas of your portrait.

bigdazzler
27-07-2009, 8:22am
Yea im kinda doing something similar with guassian blurs but its not working out too well :(

Ive been using GIMP (casue i ran out of money after buying a couple of Apple computers :o ) and i guess its a little bit limited .. maybe its time I coughed up for some decent software

I @ M
27-07-2009, 9:26am
Nik Software make a set of filters that include skin softeners, glamour glows etc. There are 52 filters that intergrate with PhotoShop, Lightroom, Aperture and Capture NX that have a great deal of "adjustability" incorporated.
Reasonably pricey but I find I use many of them very regularly.

Link to a page that lists them and provides sample shots by hovering your mouse over the particular filter.

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/en/entry.php?info=colorefexpro/intro/cep3_filters.shtml&re=

kiwi
27-07-2009, 9:36am
Very simple answer here, makeup

No, seriously, I am now just using the "skin soften" brush in Lightroom, works an unexpected treat actually

Bill44
27-07-2009, 10:08am
Very simple answer here, makeup

No, seriously, I am now just using the "skin soften" brush in Lightroom, works an unexpected treat actually

Yep works a treat, especially if you use the normal sharpening functions in Lightroom for the edges and then use the mask to remove the sharpening from the facial surfaces.

Kiwi, are you familiar with the use of the Alt key while dragging the three sharpening sliders?

kiwi
27-07-2009, 10:12am
umm, Bill, no, not sure that I am

Another tip, get Gavin Seim's brushes too, extra goodness

ving
27-07-2009, 10:30am
PSP12 has a bunch of brushes and tool for this sort of thing built in... dont know how they compare but they work for me.

Bill44
27-07-2009, 10:33am
umm, Bill, no, not sure that I am

Try it, you'll be very surprised.
Tip, for portraits get the mask slider up around 70, it masks the sharpening on the facial surfaces. Hold the Alt key down and play around with the slider, it shows the amount of masking. Try holding down the Alt key with the other two sliders as well, at 1:1 you can really see what is happening.

Jimbo
27-07-2009, 10:55am
I'm interested in this subject too, especially any general techniques that don't resort to pre-fab actions. At the moment I just do a gaussian blur at 0-5pixels and mask it in with a soft brush. Maybe play with the opacity too. Clone stamp/healing brush for blemishes.

TOM
27-07-2009, 1:34pm
Dazza, I expose 400h @ ASA200 and this works fantastically well. But if you shoot digital, then not sure, probably hours in PS ;)

bigdazzler
28-07-2009, 8:20am
Nik Software make a set of filters that include skin softeners, glamour glows etc. There are 52 filters that intergrate with PhotoShop, Lightroom, Aperture and Capture NX that have a great deal of "adjustability" incorporated.
Reasonably pricey but I find I use many of them very regularly.

Link to a page that lists them and provides sample shots by hovering your mouse over the particular filter.

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/en/entry.php?info=colorefexpro/intro/cep3_filters.shtml&re=

^^^^^^^ Bought it. Love it. Nearly $400 poorer but who cares :D

But if you shoot digital, then not sure, probably hours in PS ;)

^^^^^^^^ not anymore :efelant: :D

ricktas
28-07-2009, 8:29am
Yep, the Nik Software series are great, you will get hours of fun out of using them. Watch the video tutorials on the Nik site, there are some features that are not obvious when playing, but are really valuable for your PP work

I @ M
28-07-2009, 8:35am
Bought it. Love it. Nearly $400 poorer but who cares :D

Exactly, never let $$ stand between you and photographic nirvana :D
Now if I can only convince someone else around here to see my way of thinking ------------------------:aaa:

bigdazzler
28-07-2009, 8:35am
yea i downloaded and played with a trial version a while back (when i had even less of an idea than i do now) and had some fun with it. I see myself heading in the posed portraiture/glamour direction hopefully so it will be an excellent tool for me for sure. Now just gotta learn to use it. :D

bigdazzler
28-07-2009, 8:37am
Exactly, never let $$ stand between you and photographic nirvana :D
Now if I can only convince someone else around here to see my way of thinking ------------------------:aaa:

seriously its killing me .. i may need to gigolo myslef out soon .. :D ... im supposed to be saving for a trip to Europe ... my missus hates me .. i even have to get my online receipts sent to a secret gmail account .. hehehe :p :D