PDA

View Full Version : DVDs as a storage option??

philmud
25-07-2009, 6:52pm
Is there any reason DVDs are not a good option for storing large RAW files? (multiple DVDs of course!!)

There are some obvious issues once you start amassing hundreds of discs, but I'm talking about whether there is any loss of data or quality in the burn process. How do people here archive their photos?

phild
25-07-2009, 7:02pm
No loss of quality, it's just that the dyes used on these disks aren't forever, they have a finite life, I can't remember how long but I seem to recall figures as low as 5 years, some DVD manufacturers make archival media, Verbatim for example rate some of their media (http://www.verbatim.com.au/technotes/DVD-RGen_Lifetime.pdf)for over 100 years.

wideangle
25-07-2009, 7:26pm
I always have the thought that don't trust anything with your photos! In saying that of course one needs to backup their photographs via some medium. Never trust your photos to a single medium, use several backup methods. For instance I use DVDs to backup my photos, as well as 3 HDDs, some at work and others at friends.

Bill44
26-07-2009, 9:26am
DVD's are a good backup medium provided you follow a couple of rules.

1. Use only high quality DVD's, my preferred ones are made by Taiyo Yuden. Not cheap, but what are your shots worth to you?

2. Do not burn at too fast a rate, I only burn at 4x speed for archival purposes.

ShaneB
26-07-2009, 4:28pm
DVD's are a good backup medium provided you follow a couple of rules.

1. Use only high quality DVD's, my preferred ones are made by Taiyo Yuden. Not cheap, but what are your shots worth to you?

2. Do not burn at too fast a rate, I only burn at 4x speed for archival purposes.

Agreed - though there are other (expensive brands) that are also good.

That said, I understand the level of error checking and hence, robustness of DVDs is lower than that of CDs.

The National Archives apparently recommends physically separate hard drives as the best option for archiving - though these need to be watched and replaced as well.

Regards

IanB
26-07-2009, 6:44pm
A few others ideas here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=359705#post359705)

:)

TOM
26-07-2009, 8:27pm
for DVD's that I supply to clients, I use Belkin Gold Archival. They say they are rated for 100 years...have to trust them i guess. I have had DVD's/CD's that won't read over time. This is somwhat of a concern for future generations, as files on external hard drives and DVD's are guaranteed to be read, so it will be important to transfer files onto newer generation material all the time. I am not sure that this will be done be everyone as well as it should. Good thing I'm keeping my negatives safe.

macdog
30-07-2009, 10:28am
And only ever use proper CD Labeling Permanent Markers as normal markers will over time erase the picture files. Trust me on that one