PDA

View Full Version : Dust Bunnies

Seesee
13-03-2007, 5:48pm
:o :o this is probably no new news to most, but I have just started blow cleaning my sensor as I do almost every lens change in a slightly different fashion with remarkable results.

I have been a little disheartened that even when using the rocket blower to clean the sensor there almost always seems to some bunnies left on the sensor :mad: I have been attempting to blow the sensor clean as is illustrated in the camera manual....mirror locked up....camera on it's side and use the blower to rid the sensor of dust. I was about to invest in a wet swab kit to thoroughly clean the sensor to finally get rid of all bunnies. Then I read about what is an obvious better way to clean out the dust from sensor and camera box section.

If you/I blow clean the sensor and box in the fashion illustrated in the camera manual, camera on it's side, then much of the time some dust remains and simply gets moved around in the camera box section. Now I still use the blower but with the camera tilted down with the opening pointing towards the ground, all dust particles leave the camera box section completely thanx to gravity........no particles remaining and dust bunnie free images is the result { kicking myself }

Maybe as I said, you all know this already, but I didn't think of it till now :o :o and so far no more dust bunnies which is great as I was reluctant to use the wet swab system just yet as it would void my Nikon warranty.......give it a try if you dont already, you may be surprised at the result from a simple change of procedure :cool:

Craig Miller
13-03-2007, 6:28pm
I always use my rocket blaster this way right before swabbing. I only use the blaster to make sure my viewfinder/mirrors are dust free. :rolleyes:

Briancd
13-03-2007, 8:03pm
The same practice (facing the camera/ sensor down) should be adopted when changing lens. This reduces the chance of dust getting into the camera.

Seesee
13-03-2007, 9:37pm
Ah OK, guess I've been a bit slow in the uptake :o but anyway glad I started doing it this way, so far no bunnies, and will do it changing lenses as well now, dam commen sense really :o

DanNG
22-03-2007, 8:35pm
Are they similar to the energizer bunny?
I've looked everywhere in my camera and original packaging... but can not find the elusive dust bunny. Going to take this up with my local camera shop

http://www.stuntgrunts.com/sections/photo_gallery/bunny.jpg

Seesee
25-03-2007, 9:29am
Are they similar to the energizer bunny?
I've looked everywhere in my camera and original packaging... but can not find the elusive dust bunny. Going to take this up with my local camera shop

http://www.stuntgrunts.com/sections/photo_gallery/bunny.jpg

I think your Dust Bunnies eloped with the Easter Bunny, rabbits are always at " IT " you know, lousy little breeders !

brettrobsonphotography
25-03-2007, 9:39am

Ian
25-03-2007, 9:51am
do not scare me like that i was starting to get worried about The Dust Bunnies!:( :D lol. seesee reading your openig remarks i suddenly thought about the upside down bit. ian:D

Seesee
25-03-2007, 10:18am
When I actually get right down to clearing out the Bunnies I lay the camera on the computer desk now and use my rocket blower in conjunction with one of those small computer USB vacuum units you can buy dirt cheap. Just set the little vacuum cleaner going at the camera opening and blow out the bunnies and the vacuum unit sucks 'em up and outa there. The problem with just blowing out the bunnies is that a certain amount of them just get moved around insiude the camera box and settle back on the sensor...........works for me :cool:

Picture of the vacuum thingy I use...........