PDA

View Full Version : Non full glossy inkjet papers

hoffy
20-07-2009, 9:28am
Howdy,

I am looking at doing a bit of printing at home, using my A4 inkjet (its nothing special, a Canon MP810). At this stage, I am thinking of just printing B&W in this way and it is mainly for club photo comps (anything better then that, or archival or Colour, I would prefer to get done by the lab that I use).

Can any recommend a decent non glossy (I.E., Pearl or Lustre finish) inkjet paper? I have used Canon’s glossy pro papers in the past, with reasonably good results. I just want to find a comparable or better quality non full glossy paper.

Cheers

ricktas
20-07-2009, 9:32am
Have a look at the Canson range of papers. Usually not available at your Harvey Normans etc, but good Art Supply stores (and some good camera stores) have them.

hoffy
20-07-2009, 9:53am
Have you had any experience with the Ilford range? I can get them relatively easily

ricktas
20-07-2009, 9:56am
Ummm ages ago I tried them, I liked them, but I found some of the Canson stuff really good (even have a inkjet canvas), so I started using them. Certainly the Ilford range was good and is a well respected brand

hoffy
20-07-2009, 10:16am
OK, I'll see whether I can find some Canson. There is a Art Supplier just down the street, so they may have it.

With the Canson, what is the back side like? Would small tabs of mounting tape release cleanly from it? (this is the good thing about wet process papers. If you are careful, mounting tape releases pretty easy from the back)

Cheers

Seven
20-07-2009, 10:34am
Try Epson paper of some sort. I know its the only way with my epson and the results are pretty damm good, dont know on cannon. Would suggest its worth a try

MATT
20-07-2009, 10:41am
I use Ilford Premium Photo satin in my MP610 and are pretty happy with the results.

Got it from a Hardley Normal shop ...

Hope that helps

MATT

bringit
20-07-2009, 11:19am
The Ilford looks more like a traditional chemical print with a more 'metallic' sheen to it. the back also looks like a chemical print and is probably better suited sticking things like mounting tabs to it.

The Canson Photosatin Premium is a nice paper as well. Prints a little softer than the Ilford which I'm not a fan of but everyone that I know seems to prefer the Canson.

I get my papers from www.smartproof.com.au online. I get a discount off their published prices but I buy a fair bit.

Josh.