PDA

View Full Version : Converting AVIs on a mac .. ??

bigdazzler
18-07-2009, 9:20pm
Ive got a while bunch of AVI files that I want to convert so that I can burn and watch DVDs on a regular DVD player ... Does anyone know a simple method ??

Roxios Toast Titanium seems to be the standard software but at $180 I wanna explore other options first :D

DAdeGroot
18-07-2009, 9:32pm
Ive got a while bunch of AVI files that I want to convert so that I can burn and watch DVDs on a regular DVD player ... Does anyone know a simple method ??

Roxios Toast Titanium seems to be the standard software but at $180 I wanna explore other options first :D

Toast Titanium is by far the easiest way to do it. Otherwise, you could try to import them into iDVD and burn them off that way.

MarkW
19-07-2009, 8:36am
Toast is the standard and everybody gets it sooner or later.

bigdazzler
19-07-2009, 8:49am
looks that way .. can i install the program on both my imac and my macbook ?? what does the user license stipulate ?? I looked for the info on the roxio site but couldnt find anything.

MarkW
19-07-2009, 9:00am
From memory I had to register this but then again the registration may not be that critical. In any case, I know what the so called "Laws/License" permit but the common sense issue is your only ever using one machine at a time. Forcing additional licenses is in the least abuse of a legitimate customer and at worst extortion.

bigdazzler
21-07-2009, 3:21pm
found a slightly cheaper alternative to toast ...http://www.xilisoft.com/dvd-creator-mac.html

kaiser
21-07-2009, 5:19pm
I'm in the same boat Darren. I have some HD movies that I have created in iMovie then exported onto the HDD as H.264 format, now I have no idea how to get them onto DVD without loss of quality. iDVD appears to downgrade the video substantially (not sure if this is a limitation of the program or with the DVD format itself?

All I want to do is burn a 720p movie onto DVD to watch on my HDTV. Is that too much to ask? argh :/

bigdazzler
22-07-2009, 7:06am
found a slightly cheaper alternative to toast ...http://www.xilisoft.com/dvd-creator-mac.html

this seems to work great .. i DLed the trial version and it certainly does the job. I converted AVIs and burnt the files to DVD all in one action. Nice. The trial version has a watermark on it until you buy the license for $49USD.