PDA

View Full Version : Can't move or delete in Lightroom

IanB
17-07-2009, 5:41pm
WARNING: I'm tired, cranky and had a total gut full of PSCS3/lightroom/nikon/canon and the companies that make these things: why can't I move/delete image/files in lightroom/CS3 bridge>> I have to go into windows to do it and even there it keeps telling me I don't have permission and I need to click several OKs to delete/move. WHY?? Please; which button/s do I have to push so I can remove/delete images and folders.

Note: my hard drive has been formatted and I'm starting from scratch reloading programme/images .Programmes are all legal :th3:

:)

ricktas
17-07-2009, 5:50pm
You can,

Lightroom
http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.html?content=WSA35378F5-15EA-4389-B6AF-3F63C3D93848.html

IanB
17-07-2009, 6:02pm
Thanks Rick, but I think it's deeper then that; I didn't have this much trouble deleting/moving before formatting the h/drive>> I know how the delete should work in lightroom, but I now have to go back into explorer to delete anything>>I just feel there is something to be unlocked. :confused013

ricktas
17-07-2009, 6:17pm
Ah. Now I get you..Does sound like a permissions issue

umajo
17-07-2009, 6:26pm
sometimes mine does that too uusally restarting it after lots of words not all polite works :) but yes it sounds like a admin user setting to me

milspec
17-07-2009, 6:34pm
If you have loaded the files originally and then re-installed Windows, the new account you set up will have a different account-id. If this is the case, take ownership of all the files as an Administrator and over-write any pre-existing permissions. After that you can assign your new account with the appropriate permissions. Hope this helps :)

IanB
17-07-2009, 7:03pm
If you have loaded the files originally and then re-installed Windows, the new account you set up will have a different account-id. If this is the case, take ownership of all the files as an Administrator and over-write any pre-existing permissions. After that you can assign your new account with the appropriate permissions. Hope this helps :)

Yeah; now it's making sense; job for tomorrow :(

umajo: I have had to turn it from time to time also>>>thanks for the imput>>thanks Rick. :)

IanB
18-07-2009, 8:55am
Unfortunately tomorrow is here

milspec: can you or anyone else for that matter, point in the direction of the changes you have suggested?? Screen print would handy for me; or a web site :)

ricktas
18-07-2009, 9:13am
Here Ian : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Tannin
18-07-2009, 9:48am
Good answers above, but it may be simpler than that. If you have backed up files to a CD or DVD, then copied tem back aftr the reformat and reinstall, all those files will now be marked as read-only.

From My Computer or Windows Explorer, right click on the folder that contains your files. Un-tick "read-only". Apply. When Windows asks if you want to applly the changs to all subbfolders and files, say yes.

http://tannin.net.au/other/ap/readonly.png

Try that first. If it works, good. If it doesn't, start looking at security permissions and owership, which gets a lot more complicated.

IanB
18-07-2009, 10:07am
I HAVE DONE IT !!

Well Peter the puter man pushed the buttons after a lesson on PS, bridge and lightroom

THANKYOU

:) :)

Thanks for the reply Tannin, I appreciate it :th3:

dbax
18-07-2009, 10:15am
[QUOTE=IanB;354011][CENTER]I HAVE DONE IT !!

QUOTE]

....How>:confused013

IanB
18-07-2009, 1:00pm
[QUOTE=IanB;354011][CENTER]I HAVE DONE IT !!

QUOTE]

....How>:confused013

:o I was worried someone would ask that; I'll see if I can work out where Peter went and print the page for you; may have to get Peter back to show me>>>if I don't come back please forgive but I will try. :)

dbax
18-07-2009, 1:09pm
[QUOTE=dbax;354015]

:o I was worried someone would ask that; I'll see if I can work out where Peter went and print the page for you; may have to get Peter back to show me>>>if I don't come back please forgive but I will try. :)

no worries , just curious.....glad you got it sorted:th3:

IanB
06-01-2010, 10:45am
[QUOTE=IanB;354057]

no worries , just curious.....glad you got it sorted:th3:

So sorry dbax, I was about to open new thread about this and then remembered this thread.

You need to run LR as the administrator>>right click on LR icon>>click go to run as administrator>>click allow>> You will/should be able to move and delete.

It can also done inside the puter and locked; and I'm not going there :o Someone else may take on that ;)

Thread is open to any other comments or tips.

And mods; I feel we need a thread name change to include "Lightroom" Or "Can't move or delete in Lightroom" or "Lightroom--can't move or delete" This may make search easier ;)