PDA

View Full Version : Travel in New Zealand - Help!

Ethony
17-07-2009, 1:08pm
Hi All,

I wanted to get some advice as I am travelling to NZ for three weeks in Feb and I am not sure what lenses to take and what to leave at home.

I love wildlife and macro but I also know that the scenery in NZ is amazing. I will be hiking a lot or on bike with the tour and visiting the North and South Island. I am purchasing a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 12MP for the shots of white water rafting etc, so that stuff is covered.

I have a Canon 50D and the lenses I have are below. Is there anything you would recommend that you have travelled with that is worth getting?

Cheers

Ellen
17-07-2009, 1:13pm
Hi there,

I have just returned from 3 weeks in NZ - I was mainly into landscapes and stuff but tried to get some good wildlife shots etc. I rarely took my 17-70 off. So definitely definitely take your 17-85, and a zoom would be good but wouldnt your 50-500 be a bit heavy to take? I took everything I had (dont have much lol) and maybe used my 70-300 2 or 3 times. I used my 50mm prime once. I didnt use my external flash at all, though I popped up my on board more than I expected.

Have a great time!

edited to add - If your into macro then I would take your 100mm. You'll be spewing if you see something awesome and left that behind. 50-500 sounds like too much effort to me. Maybe worth purchasing a cheaper zoom thats easier to take around?

AdamR
17-07-2009, 3:21pm
I came back in April. I am big into wildlife but over there (South Island) it was bare. We saw so little wildlife it was sad.

I would highly consider taking a tripod. I think they are invaluable. I did the majority of the whole trip with only an ultra wide and got by fine. Some shots were a compromise, but I think a typical standard lens would do.

If you want some ideas of places to go Ive recently being compiling on my blog some shots i took. There are only a few days left to add, Milford Sound, Lake Tekapo (two of my better days and thus taking longer to edit).

Analog6
17-07-2009, 4:27pm
I'm thinking of going in late September, Flight Centre have 7 days motohome hire (start and end Christchurch) for $555 from Brisbane. So would people advise, if I go, should I take 24-70/19-35 and maybe 70-200. I'll have the 100-400 by then, take or leave?
Tripod and monopod?

I thought spring sahould be good weatherwise (I hope) and it fits into employer's break time so I can get the days off easily.

jibbonpoint
18-07-2009, 8:19am
I did a 3 week work/holiday trip to NZ about two years ago & picked up the Pentax 10KD on leaving. I took a Pentax F f50 1:1.7 prime for low light. A 70-210 Tokina manual focus zoom & of course the 18-55 kit.

I only used the kit lens.

Now, I would still take the above and be a bit more adventurous & include the 10-20 Sigma + tripod.

These Gorilla Pods might be a huge spacesaver??? Anyone tried one?

Analog6
18-07-2009, 11:37am
I have one but have only used it twice, once as a normal tripod, standing on the car bonnet, and once on a railing. They are a handy thing to have in the bag and take up little room. Mine is an Aldi knock-off brand.

Ethony
21-07-2009, 4:17pm
Thank you for the help.

I think I will take my kit lens and my macro, and maybe the 30mm (it is light after all)

I am currently drooling over these! www.trek-tech.com

ehor
21-07-2009, 4:20pm
I'd second the tripod suggestion and also consider a Cokin P series Grad ND kit for your landscape stuff.

gje38752
17-04-2011, 10:49pm
Spent 4 weeks roaming around there in a motorhome, great thing to do, the scenery is awesome, both close and distant. Had my 50D with 15=85 which is a superb lens similar to your 17-85 I suggest that you take your 70-200 for the mountain stuff, you won't regret it. ENJOY