PDA

View Full Version : Couple of shots using MF folding camera

MattC
15-07-2009, 10:18pm
Took a roll of Ilford XP2 pro 400 the other day as my second roll of 120 film ever in an old Nettar (spelling?) foldout 6x6 fully manual camera.
I was quite happy with the outcome - most shots were pretty right as far as exposure, and most were in focus (trying to work out the distance in feet was challenging at times!)

These are a couple of quite poor scans from a cheapo all in one printer/scanner - I have tweeked them a bit in CS3 to try and bring them back to a vague resemblance of the originals - just have to try DIY printing now!

Cheers.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/627/ilfordxp2400watersclupt.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1306/ilfordxp2400door.jpg

hoffy
15-07-2009, 10:30pm
Hey Matt, these came up rather good!

I think these will look rather good enlarged and on photo paper. Well done, the overcast day wasn't wasted (I haven't printed any up yet, but I have one roll developed)

Cheers

TOM
15-07-2009, 11:18pm
Great shots Matt! And it's all you. No auto this or auto that, you were entirely responsible for the outcome of the image. How satisfying do you find this photography?

Krzys
16-07-2009, 8:21am
Great but there is no sweet beautiful grain! Damn c41 film.

You need some real b&w film with some rodinal :D

MattC
16-07-2009, 8:56am
Cheers guys :th3:
TOM - there is a whole lot more to think about with this type of photography - not only do you have to make sure all your settings are correct, but you only get one chance to get it right - no chimping with this camera! :animal3:
Of course there is a downside - primarily being the cost of getting everything delveloped - I can understand why people do this stuff themselves!

I think I was more relieved than anything when I got the prints back, as most of the shots were fairly well exposed - I think the film probably helped me in that regard a bit.

I would really like to run some colour slide film though this next - might wait until spring had sprung to get some nice bright colours though.

GlennSan
16-07-2009, 11:22am
I'm very happy to see another folder user. Goodo n you!

I've used and still own a few; all bar one still works perfectly after 50+ years.

I do my own b&w in 35 and 120 for the cost benefit but also for the satisfaction of doing the entire thing, manully, from end to end. There nothing better than holding the fibre print in your hand and thinking, I made that! :)

Here's my fave folder because it's my only 6x9 format camera :)

Krzys
16-07-2009, 12:23pm
Of course there is a downside - primarily being the cost of getting everything delveloped - I can understand why people do this stuff themselves!I made $5 of D-76 last to develop 8 rolls without trying, and I'm a complete newbie at this stuff. I'm sure if I got some Rodinal and really put some effort into watching the volume of liquid I'm using then I wouldn't have to spend any money on chemicals for agessss.

MattC
16-07-2009, 1:14pm
Cheers Glen - that looks like a well used camera! I have been meaning to post a photo of the one I have been using, but as yet, haven't had a chance.

Krzys - I am waiting for a certain someone who shall remain nameless cough*hoffy*cough ;) to find an enlarger to do 6x6 /MF negs, then I can go round to his place and get high on his chemicals (of course I am happy to supply the chemicals) and develop some prints.
Of course if anyone here has one to borrow, I can bring the beer and/or chemicals :D

TOM
16-07-2009, 1:22pm
TOM - there is a whole lot more to think about with this type of photography - not only do you have to make sure all your settings are correct, but you only get one chance to get it right - no chimping with this camera!

Sure Matt, and as you know, chimping isn't a neccessity once you know what you're doing. also the exposure latitude of film, compared to digital makes chimping largely irrelevant. You also tend to take less shots, which means you are thinking more before you press the shutter. Oh and not to mention the superior look of film, whether it is an optical print, or you use a hybrid workflow.

Krzys
16-07-2009, 1:35pm
then I can go round to his place and get high on his chemicalsAll I can smell is the fixer and I wish I couldnt :p Gives a nasty headache (though its probably just the smell getting to me)

If you were in Brisbane I'd invite you around for some enlarging

JohnRA
16-07-2009, 1:49pm
Many a good tune played on an old fiddle. Great to see the oldies still being used.
Nothing wrong with the results either.
How many shots did you stuff up because you forgot one of the steps ?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Krzys
16-07-2009, 2:22pm
The worst thing with older cameras is the lack of double exposure prevention. Other than that its easy

GlennSan
16-07-2009, 3:54pm
Because I don't shoot with the folders frequently, I can never remember for sure whether I did wind to the next frame after the last shot days, or weeks, ago so I occasionally have a double exposure or a blank frame. If I was using them a lot I suppose I'd make a hard rule about the sequcne and stick to it.

Also a pain when you develop and notice how out of focus the occasional frame is ... :)

MattC
16-07-2009, 4:50pm
Many a good tune played on an old fiddle. Great to see the oldies still being used.
Nothing wrong with the results either.
How many shots did you stuff up because you forgot one of the steps ?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The first two shots on the first roll of film was double exposed, but that was mainly due to the fact I didn't know there were numbers that came up, and I thought "bloody hell, I've been winding this a long time now, surely I must have over wound it" :rolleyes: then the number 1 appears after taking a couple of shots...woops!:D

Fortunately you have to cock the shutter manually with the camera I have been using, which has helped stop me from making a couple of errors!

GlennSan
16-07-2009, 5:14pm
You gotta love the little ruby window - even though it can be a pain to use, especially in dim light.

hoffy
16-07-2009, 5:26pm
an old folder is worth the go I think, or a TLR. I have been looking at stuff on Ebay and for what some of it is worth, its hard to say that medium format film is dead (things like a Kowa 6x6 that go for over $600).

I would really like to find a MF camera with a coupled range finder.....maybe I need to save the pennies

Krzys
16-07-2009, 5:32pm
http://blogs.salon.com/0004217/images/2005/01/01/Ed%27sBlog.122.H/bladSuperW.1.jpg

Hasselblad SWC then :p Admittedly its not a rangefinder, but it is the best of both worlds.

hoffy
16-07-2009, 7:28pm
Not exactly "Intimate!"

TOM
16-07-2009, 8:43pm
Hasselblad rocks. I recently sold all of my 'blad gear and now i regret it. I am now deciding between the 503cw 'blad or the Rolleiflex with CZ 2.8.

Medium format dead? Not anytime soon Hoffy. I nice rf mformat camera is the Fuji 690 1,2 or 3. Cheaper than the Mamiya 7 II and not as many issues as the Mamiya with rf misalignment.

GlennSan
16-07-2009, 8:47pm
an old folder is worth the go I think, or a TLR. I have been looking at stuff on Ebay and for what some of it is worth, its hard to say that medium format film is dead (things like a Kowa 6x6 that go for over $600).

I would really like to find a MF camera with a coupled range finder.....maybe I need to save the pennies
TLR's are great - I love mine. As for a coupled rangefinder, you don't say whether it's a folder you want but I seem to recall one of the later model Agfa Isolette folders had a coupled rangefinder. I have an Jsolette V but it's a no rangefinder model.

And who says MF film is dead? I think they may be surprised by it's attraction and usefulness to many for some time to come. :food04:

GlennSan
16-07-2009, 9:14pm
or a TLR. Rollies are great but expensive. I bought my Yashica TLR for $100 and it's fabulous - see below.

Hasselblad rocks. I recently sold all of my 'blad gear and now i regret it. I am now deciding between the 503cw 'blad or the Rolleiflex with CZ 2.8.

Medium format dead? Not anytime soon Hoffy. I nice rf mformat camera is the Fuji 690 1,2 or 3. Cheaper than the Mamiya 7 II and not as many issues as the Mamiya with rf misalignment.I love my pre-loved 503CW too! Wifey present for my birthday because she knew I'd never justify to myself the cost of one, even though they are quite affordable now, relative to their new price.

Some sample snaps from around the house with my $100 TLR. Just get one and have fun, they're great! :th3: