PDA

View Full Version : MB D80 grips

reaction
13-07-2009, 10:54pm
Looking at the MB D80 grips for D80/D90. Now the Nikon one has dials, ae-l button, shutter.

But 3rd party ones have extras like
focus point selector
timers
IR remote

How does this work? Why would 3rd party ones have more features?
Surely the control interface is limited to what's implemented. They can't add new buttons?

whipper_snappa
14-07-2009, 10:43am
This is talking from experience, buying a 3rd party Battery grip.

I Bought a Phottix one for my D200. Was a piece of Rubbish. So many things wrong with it, e.g. battery contacts, battery life..etc.

my advice is to spend that extra bit and get the Proper Nikon one. the others may have more features.

But no one said they'd actually work. But that's just me, at the end of the day it's upto you I guess!

Hope that helped.

latino
15-07-2009, 1:49pm
This is talking from experience, buying a 3rd party Battery grip.

I Bought a Phottix one for my D200. Was a piece of Rubbish. So many things wrong with it, e.g. battery contacts, battery life..etc.

my advice is to spend that extra bit and get the Proper Nikon one. the others may have more features.

But no one said they'd actually work. But that's just me, at the end of the day it's upto you I guess!

Hope that helped.

Thats exactly why I got the MB-D80 works good =) Battery lasts for ever!!!

abacus
17-07-2009, 11:17am
I have had to return a MB-D80 as it would not work with My D90 or brand new D90 in the store , Appears to be aproblem with the contacts on the battery grip that are on top of the shaft, the battery has an L shaped contact that covers the top and the side,
The problem is that when the grip is locked in to position power is lost, if you tighten 1/2-3/4 you have power, but this is unsuitable as the grip moves about a bit.

I am waiting a reply from Nikon

levi
13-11-2009, 2:08am
Go with the Nikon. Had problems using a Jenis battery grip for my then D70/s.

My MB-D80 haven't conked out on me though the rubber has started to peal :(

DigiView
05-02-2010, 4:00pm
Been using a Phottix battery grip for my D90 and it works well
havnt had any problems with it.

N*A*M
06-02-2010, 5:11pm
you don't need a grip and different batteries to get 8fps on a d300
it can be done without costing a single cent by setting up bracketing to use flash only

stiv396
01-07-2010, 1:37am
i have read in other forums something about MB-D80 bat grip having issue's when used in a D90. Just like what Abacus expirienced on the contact points in his bat grip, i was just wondering if nikon has done some solution for it to function well on a D90. planning to get one but still abit hesitant because of the contact point issue. :confused013

maccaroneski
01-07-2010, 10:01am
i have read in other forums something about MB-D80 bat grip having issue's when used in a D90. Just like what Abacus expirienced on the contact points in his bat grip, i was just wondering if nikon has done some solution for it to function well on a D90. planning to get one but still abit hesitant because of the contact point issue. :confused013

I had issues with mine but put a thin strip of gaffer's tape across the top of it (i.e. the part between it and the bottom of the camera) and it has worked a charm ever since.

I had done a bit of research on the net when I had the problem, and the most common solution was a thin strip of cardboard in that spot, however the tape is great as it is (a) semi-permanent; and (b) not noticeable as it is black.

stiv396
01-07-2010, 11:15am
Thanks macaroneski. i also researched on it and saw the same solutions as what you did, but i was hoping that nikon made modifications on the battery grip so it would function well without changing or adding something to the grip just to work fine for our D90. but what the hek im still getting one. :)

Watchamacallit
01-07-2010, 9:14pm
I've got a MB-D80 on my D90 and haven't had any problems with it. Well, at least not yet. I bought it maybe 2 months ago?

maccaroneski
01-07-2010, 10:38pm
Yeah Nick 351 whom I bought it from had no problems with it either. I thought to myself wither it's going to work without a problem, or there is a simple solution, and I haven't looked back.

stiv396
04-07-2010, 8:16pm
macaroneski can you point out in the image below where you placed the tape on the bat grip? thanks.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll16/stiv396/IMG_2126.jpg

maccaroneski
07-07-2010, 9:09pm
From left to right in front of the silver screw - on the other side of the screw from the batteries. I'll take a shot and upload it.

stiv396
09-07-2010, 1:31pm
From left to right in front of the silver screw - on the other side of the screw from the batteries. I'll take a shot and upload it.

No need for the picture i already got it. Thanks mate. :)

Bchip
28-07-2010, 11:13am
Ah yep...I had a similar problem with the camera cutting out, especially with heavier lenses. I just put some cardboard into the tray of the grip (where maccaroneski put the tape).

The grip is a MUCH tighter/better fit now. There's no wiggle room.

bigjobs
02-08-2010, 8:18pm
Overall I was disappointed with the MB-D80, the build quality was not as good as the D80.

Specifically, the shutter release button was very touchy and required a different approach than the one on the camera body... this resulted in numerous accidental frames and took a bit of getting used to.

Having said that though, the battery performance was good and it actually made the camera nicer to hold I thought.

Depending on the price difference, I'd maybe go for the 3rd party one... the Nikon one definitely felt cheap to me.