View Full Version : PocketWizard Plus II's & 580EX II

cjphotography
10-07-2009, 3:08pm
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased:

3xPocketWizard II's
1x430EX II
1x580EX II

To make it quick, the pocketwizards are awesome, but when I do long distance stuff well getting like 10m + the pocketwizard with the 580EX II doesn't like to fire! where as the 430EX II fires 100% consistently.

Anyone know the reason why this is doing this? Both 430 and 580 are set at the same settings including on the pocketwizards, and both connected via PC SYNC

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Casey:)

trigger
10-07-2009, 3:21pm
you sure the batteries are charged fully on the 580ex? I tend to find at full power on fully charged NiMHs they cycle at 4 secs between each full burst.

MarkChap
10-07-2009, 3:25pm
What about the batteries in the Pocket wizards ??

cjphotography
10-07-2009, 3:50pm
yes they are all brand new

Jules
10-07-2009, 3:53pm
Not sure if it relates to your PWs, but there have been problems with certain Canon speedlights and PWs. Something to do with RF interference. Maybe this will help:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/range/

jjphoto
10-07-2009, 9:21pm
I've been using Pockerwizards for at least 5 year now and although they are generally excellent they can also have problems with interference.

When I do have a problem it's usually when the PW is attached to the 580EXII. I really think they just don't like each other but they seem to get along most of the time.

I have no problems with a Nikon SB28 with the PW and the Metz 54's communicate with PW's more reliably than the 580EXII's as well.

JJ

imageman4
11-07-2009, 8:29pm
Hi
All radio slaves have some problems.
The pocket wizard is 433Mhz and is prone to interference like most radio slaves.
The nikon and canon flashes are both on the same frequency. This is what we get in Australia as does every other country in the world except USA. The Nikon and Canons are made in the Panasonic factory and fire one another .

The firing voltage, the polarity, the battery condition, the distance, the location, the camera, the time of day and who the prime mininster of New Zealand may all have an effect.
The problem can be worse on Canon cameras because to the shutter components vary so much.

The is a radio slave which can reduce these problems . The Firefox running at 2GHz is great but is limited to about 30mts without problems.
Also the sync speed is higher on some unit than others.

imageman4

cjphotography
06-09-2009, 8:24am
its ok guys, i figured out the problem and it was that the 580EXII's cf/n setting was switched too "0" which allows the 580 to switch off after about 30seconds of not being fired which obviously caused it not to fire.

thanks for your help!

MarkChap
06-09-2009, 1:20pm
ahhhh yes, the dreaded Auoto Power Of function.

Glad to see it sorted

Bathbx
08-12-2009, 2:29pm
Hi Everyone,

First post the forum.

I am thinking about buying a pair of PocketWizard Plus II's.

I have a 580EXII and a 430EX II.

If I have the transceiver on the 580 and set the 430 as a slave will both flashes fire?

Hope this does'nt seem like a stupid question.

Cheers