PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Settings

CherylB
09-07-2009, 6:27pm
Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh! I'm having a brain-dead day, and this issue has really started to annoy me! :( :( :(

I have been a fairly long-time user of Firefox. I generally keep it up-to-date, but I haven't yet updated to 3.5 - I'm currently on 3.0.11. I am getting a "Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page" on most forum pages in Ausphotography. I have pop-ups blocked - with exceptions (including Ausphotography - even though I don't think this is the issue).

What am I missing here? What else do I need to set so I don't get the constant redirection warnings?

Kym
09-07-2009, 6:31pm
That's weird.
What plugins ?

I'm out this evening so maybe some other members can help you through this.

CherylB
09-07-2009, 6:58pm
I've got a heap of plugins!!

In looking up the plugins, I noticed I have a couple of extensions that aren't "turned on" because they're not compatible with the version I'm using - CA Link Advisor and CA Toolbar. I've had other problems with CA recently so I'm now wondering if this is my problem?!!!

(CA Internet Security Suite)

arthurking83
09-07-2009, 8:09pm
Do you have the Flashgot plugin installed?
If so, what version.

Tonight, FF updated flashgot(to v1.1.9.8) for me, nice and automagically, and FF seemed to stop working! :confused: then woudln't load anything.. no net pages, no local pages.. just sent the PC into a 100% CPU cycle frenzy, unless I manually stopped FF(via Task Manager).

Went into safe mode with no addons/plugins loaded and man'oman did it load fast! :th3:

Went back to the addon toolbar and onlyloaded the most important addons.
ie. KusoExif viewer and Historgram Viewer :D

Working good, and so much faster now with fewer plugins installed.
(I only have about 6 that load up, but they slow FF down a little).

Debra Faulkner
09-07-2009, 8:22pm
Cheryl is there any reason you haven't updated to FF3.5 yet? Perhaps you could turn off all your plug-ins, update and then turn one back on at a time? Good luck with it all.

CherylB
09-07-2009, 9:16pm
Arthur - No I don't have the Flashgot plugin installed, so that one is definitely not my problem.

Debra - No specific reason why I haven't upgraded to 3.5 as yet - just haven't got around to it. I will try turning all the plugins off and turning them back on one at a time as you suggested, but it's probably not going to be until the weekend now.

Thank you both for your help. :) I'll let you know how I go.

arthurking83
09-07-2009, 9:45pm
as a side note to FF3.5 update.

with every other update to FF from v1pointsomethinginsignificant, up to v3.0.11 I've had the notification that a new version is ready to update too...

But not v3.5!? :confused: Update notifications turned on, but I stil had to manually check for new versions/updates or whatever in the about menu!
I found that weird. Any reason for that.
Has anyone got the update notification for v3.5?
Are there any unresolved issues remaining?

farmer_rob
09-07-2009, 10:55pm
CherylB: It may be the banner ads on Ausphotography. When I turn my ad blocker off and hit AP, I get the messages. My solution is to leave ad blocking on. (Sorry Rick :o)

AK: Re 3.5 upgrade - the Mozilla website is saying they are not forcing the upgrade yet. I think this is due to bandwidth issues. (I upgraded yesterday - seems to run without problems)

Kym
09-07-2009, 11:13pm
CherylB: It may be the banner ads on Ausphotography. When I turn my ad blocker off and hit AP, I get the messages. My solution is to leave ad blocking on. (Sorry Rick :o)

AK: Re 3.5 upgrade - the Mozilla website is saying they are not forcing the upgrade yet. I think this is due to bandwidth issues. (I upgraded yesterday - seems to run without problems)

Bingo!

We moved the AP ad images off to an alternate location last week to save primary site bandwidth. (and I normally had Ad Block Plus turned on)

Also: 3.5 is an optional update. 3.0.xx will be supported for some months. So it will get security fixes if needed.

Thanks Rob!

CherylB
09-07-2009, 11:58pm

AHA! Thanks Rob - that would definitely explain it!!!