PDA

View Full Version : How to

Doonster
05-07-2009, 1:34pm
stop shaking when taking images, im a shaky person and it sucks ass. sometimes i cant keeps still at 40mm let alone 100 or something images are just crap then. and i dont want to buy a IS lens i want to learn to control this.

Is there any tips people can give me?

Thanks Aaron

Harves
05-07-2009, 1:51pm
No one can stay perfectly still Aaron. The best info I can give you is use a tripod or monopod, if that isn't convenient then find something to lean against to give you more stability. If you drink strong coffee before you go out with your camera you will be 'buzzing' a bit.

Increasing the shutter speed or ISO will also help.

dbax
05-07-2009, 1:59pm
yep that's the trick lean on something for support, use tri or mono pods, the alternative is to keep the shutter speed as fast as possible ie: use the largest aperture( lowest f number) and or increase ISO.
Also keep arms close to the body and shoot between breathes.

Kym
05-07-2009, 3:42pm
stop shaking when taking images, im a shaky person and it sucks ass. sometimes i cant keeps still at 40mm let alone 100 or something images are just crap then. and i dont want to buy a IS lens i want to learn to control this.

Is there any tips people can give me?

Thanks Aaron

Higher shutter speed. See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11024

It's been done in detail.

arthurking83
05-07-2009, 6:08pm
I think it's more about practise!

try throwing a lacrosse ball with a lacrosse racquet!(properly that is!! :rolleyes:) ... it takes practise.

Main thing is to try to be as steady as possible. one foot forward, arms close to body, lean against something... etc.. all work, but people are different and various things work for various individuals.

Sometimes I can get a sharp shot at 500mm and 1/60(handheld) and other times I struggle to get it sharp at 10mm and 1/100 :D

I think the best advise is to breathe out and take the shot as you're almost out of breath.
That seems to work best for me.
arms in the body doesn't work too good if you rotate the camera for portrait orientation tho ;)

Doonster
05-07-2009, 7:44pm
thanks everyone, Ive got a few tripods but they are Chinese and if its windy there goes any zoom macro stability(time to fork out for a nice one me thinks) other then that Ive done leaning on things. i think its just my hands that are really shaky. do you think bulking up a bit might help? i mean im not a weedy bugger but i could prob do with going to the gym and loose this beer belly im building up before it gets out of hand. :food04:

Doonster
05-07-2009, 7:46pm
Higher shutter speed. See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11024

It's been done in detail.

thanks that was really helpful! i might be able to take some shots later and test this.

MarkW
05-07-2009, 7:54pm
i mean im not a weedy bugger but i could prob do with going to the gym and loose this beer belly im building up before it gets out of hand. :food04:

You could always let it go and rest the camera on it. :D Certainly more fun thn the gym :p