PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Problem

Bear Dale
03-07-2009, 9:10pm
When I open say a blank Word document or a blank email. The white is brilliant white, but when I open up Photoshop and then a new box the colour isn't white. It's more of a just off white (almost cream but not that much). It's definately noticable that it's not as white as Word etc

Anyone know why this would be?

ricktas
03-07-2009, 10:01pm
Photoshop is colourspace aware, Microsoft products are not.

Bear Dale
03-07-2009, 10:04pm
Photoshop is colourspace aware, Microsoft products are not.

Sorry, I know my questions always lead to other questions.

Whats colourspace aware?

Bear Dale
03-07-2009, 10:07pm
I just googled and found this -

"CS4 Colourspace Issue Fix

Apologies if this has been posted, but thanks to CS's terrible search facility I don't think I found a similar post.

Anyway, if you guys are using CS4 and are wondering why the hell you're struggling with the colours not showing correctly in CS4 despite looking correct across your different colourspace aware applications, well, the culprit for me lies in the OpenGL acceleration option in CS4.

To disable the offending issue, go to Edit > Preferences > Performance, then in the dialog box, click "Advanced Settings" under GPU settings, and uncheck "Color Matching".

That should do the trick. Let me know if you guys find any issues with this fix."

ricktas
03-07-2009, 10:11pm
Ok colourspaces are the range of colours and shades that can be displayed or used by devices. The internet for instance is built around the sRGB colourspace.

Most DSLR can be menu selected to use SRGB or AdobeRGB. AdobeRGB is the bigger colourspace and therefore contains a slightly bigger range of colours than sRGB can

There is a good guide to colourspaces here (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/color-spaces.htm)

Bear Dale
04-07-2009, 1:48pm
Thanks for the reply Rick.

What do 'most' people have their camera and computer set to?

Kym
04-07-2009, 1:51pm
Thanks for the reply Rick.

What do 'most' people have their camera and computer set to?

sRGB as that's what the Web uses and all local print shops (as most consumer products use sRGB)

But I use Adobe RGB in my camera (and keep it plus 16bit mode during my work flow) and convert on export to JPEG.

This gives me the maximum colour Gamut until the last step.

Bear Dale
04-07-2009, 1:55pm
Cheers Kym.