PDA

View Full Version : How do I mono?

OwenS
01-07-2009, 10:38pm
Hi guys, Ive been interested in black and white for a while now but have never given it a shot.
I was wondering what the best way was to convert to black and white? Is it just as simple as removing all saturation through PS and then adjusting other levels etc from there?

I am really interested in the whole light/shadow relationship with monochrome pics, I find them often a lot more startling than an impressive colourful pic but i honestly have no idea how to get started.

Anyone here specialize in black and white pics?

Miaow
01-07-2009, 10:40pm
What software using for PP Owen?

OwenS
01-07-2009, 10:49pm
What software using for PP Owen?

Very old, Photoshop 6, from like 2002 i reckon. Found it lying in my cupboard!

Miaow
01-07-2009, 10:54pm
I;m not real sure on PS myself - the way i end to do my B&W is though a plugin - I'm sure people here will be able to help you :)

Miaow
01-07-2009, 11:15pm
i dont have PS - but try in edit - monotone?>

Kym
01-07-2009, 11:22pm
1. Shoot colour (if you do the B&W in the camera you have little control)

2. Use PS to change to mono - in CS4 Image > Adjustments > B&W
Similar in other programs

3. Then adjust the sliders for each colour until the B&W is how you want it

4. Then (optionally) tint - ie. sepia etc

Kym
01-07-2009, 11:24pm
Software...

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=24359
Item 7 provides some good free software links.

OwenS
01-07-2009, 11:53pm
Thanks cypher!

arthurking83
02-07-2009, 12:03am
Another option to try:

And yes here we go again with the recommendation to use ViewNX... you'll get the hang of it(me!) one day :p

In ViewNX there is an option to use Picture Controls.
In those options are various tweaking sub options that allow you to play around with more intricate Picture Controls, and Black and White conversion is one of them.

But!! also in that Picture Control area is a button labelled Launch Utility.
That Utility is where you can define Picture Control variables, playing around with different settings and if you hit the Monochrome Picture Control Style, you are presented with a few options to allow you to play around with different filter effects that affect contrast, and also some toning effects that give you various tint options(like sepia, cyanotype..etc) As you choose each filter effect or make adjustments, your image is updated, and you see the effect it has immediately.
That's using predefined contrast adjustments.
The other option there(on the RHS) is to adjust the tone curve manually yourself too.
There really is no trick to it, other than wasting a few hours moving the graph line with your mouse, and seeing how it affects the image.

Learning the ability to quickly and easily process an image is an important part of producing images that stand out, and NX makes that part easy(for Nikon owners).
Sometimes the program(NX) has been known to play up a little, but that could be mine on my system which has been way over due for a refresh OS installation and is bloated with many bits and bytes that have slowed it down to a crawl(only recently tho).

Once you start developing a system of making these quick'n'easy edits, you can also save them, upload them to various cameras and use them directly on the camera.
(but I think the D50 is limited in it's ability to use these uploaded enhancements!)

There are a few pre defined Picture Control styles I've uploaded to AP... HERE (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9265)... but there is no specific Monotone PC style that I've messed with in that zip file.
I'm not a mono regular, and when I do convert to one, I generally use one of the preset filter types, and may tweak it a little according to taste.

anyhow that's the easy way. I know PS also has some pre defined B&W conversion that work in the same way.. I just don't remember them and don't use PS.. too complicated for my limited cranial capacity :D

Seesee
02-07-2009, 12:30pm
I presume the PS 6 you mention is Elements 6 ? If so just convert to B&W in the filter or image adjustment tabs and tweak from there with different toning etc, mabe use of didge and burn tools as well.....all depends exactly what effect you want, there are numerous styles to adjust to...experiment.

ving
02-07-2009, 12:55pm
what are these photoshop elephants?

anyhow, your camera should have a b/w setting so you can shoot in b/w. have a look in its menus.
or
in PS, if you cant find the b/w conversion (also known as greyscale) try opeing the saturation controls and completely desaturating the picture

or try the above...

OwenS
02-07-2009, 12:59pm
No pretty sure its before photoshop elements was even invented. Its OLD SCHOOL :)

But has most of the functions still. PS hasnt changed much in the last 6 years really.

OwenS
02-07-2009, 1:02pm
Where can i get viewNX?

Kym
02-07-2009, 1:08pm
Normally with the CD that came with your camera.
But its free here: http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61

Edit:
http://www.nikon.com.au/pagearticle.php?pageid=114-03af299586

Manuals (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikonasia_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=ILWHlBoj&p_lva=&p_li=&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_page=1&p_cv=1.219&p_pv=&p_prods=0&p_cats=219&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=0&cat_lvl1=219&p_search_text=&p_new_search)

Software (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikonasia_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=4Is3uBoj&p_lva=&p_li=&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_page=1&p_cv=1.224&p_pv=&p_prods=0&p_cats=224&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=0&cat_lvl1=224&p_search_text=&p_new_search)

rossco
02-07-2009, 1:52pm
if i remember from my younger days, lean back, grab the handle bars well and whilst pushing off with your strong leg lift the wheel offf the ground, remember to wear your helmet

OwenS
02-07-2009, 2:37pm
if i remember from my younger days, lean back, grab the handle bars well and whilst pushing off with your strong leg lift the wheel offf the ground, remember to wear your helmet

Finally somone got it ;)

Miaow
02-07-2009, 4:49pm

LOL :)

TonyA
02-07-2009, 5:00pm
Simple way. in PS 6 Desaturate and up the contrast and play with levels. better way search the net for a B&W converter plugin for PS

NikonNellie
02-07-2009, 10:50pm
There are also a lot of B&W actions you can get for free on the internet - just google Black and White actions + Photoshop 6. Makes it very easy.

RuthJ
03-07-2009, 8:29am
Hi guys, Ive been interested in black and white for a while now but have never given it a shot.
I was wondering what the best way was to convert to black and white? Is it just as simple as removing all saturation through PS and then adjusting other levels etc from there?

I am really interested in the whole light/shadow relationship with monochrome pics, I find them often a lot more startling than an impressive colourful pic but i honestly have no idea how to get started.

Anyone here specialize in black and white pics?

Hi Owen,
in Photoshop 6...the really old one :D you will get the best results using the channel mixer. Each image has 3 channels, the red, green and blue. The channel mixer lets you choose how much of each channel is used in the final BW image. From memory, you might be able to access the channel mixer through the layer menu as a new adjustment layer or you might have to use it as an adjustment through the image menu...the layer adjustment is better if you have the option. Be sure to click the monochrome box at the bottom of the popup window and adjust the balance of channels using the sliders. I've used PS 6 and 7....I hope I'm describing the right one.

edit.. have just done a quick search. you should have the channel mixer adjustment layer in PS 6. Here (http://laughingliondesign.net/2009/05/converting-to-black-white-using-the-channel-mixer-in-photoshop/) is a tutorial on the process.

OwenS
04-07-2009, 1:26am
Champion Ruth, cheers!