PDA

View Full Version : cs4 question.

Inspired
29-06-2009, 5:43pm
I was going to google search how to do this but again am not sure of the terminology so ask the question, so hopefully someone understands what i mean.

I have a portrait picture of my baby girl which i would like to keep her but remove the back ground, all the tutorials i have looked at (but cant seem to find anymore=/) have a very basic "cutout" function - is it possible to get her just her with all her detail eg, stray hair, and say edging of a textured clothing, you know like a woolen jumper or something which doesn;t just have a straight edge.
Can this be done? or to have a different background do you have to sacrafice some of the edge detaling? if this can be done is there a link to a tutorial to how to do it, or even better a video with step by step instructions! lol

Also sorry another question - i have been taking my pictures in RAW & Jpeg mode, but when i upload them into the bridge, only the Jpeg format works, the RAW files can't be read, and when i upload then to the harddrive i select delect files when finished but only the Jpeg files are deleted from the CF card is that normal? I'm using Windows Vista.

I'm so new to this and just really playing around, trying to learn how it all works.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Nicole:)

Allann
29-06-2009, 6:42pm
Can you post the image, and I'll try to put the step together for you. There are a few techniques you can use, but seeing the image will help to determine which one to use.

Regarding the RAW files, which camera are you using. There are numerous RAW formats. If using bridge, have you gone into the Help menu to see if there are any updates? There have been a few updates recently and Canon RAW codec (http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0200069703.html) is up to 1.5.0.

ricktas
29-06-2009, 7:58pm
it is really hard to get all the edge detail, cause in her hair for example the background will be visible through some of the softer hair.

It can be done, but it would take a lot of work, and involve zooming in to get all the details in your selection correctly.

The best way (in my opinion) is to make a fairly accurate selection, then feather it by about 5-10 pixels. Move your selection to the new background and then slightly blur the edges to blend it in better. It will take some practice to do well, so take it slow, don't get frustrated and work methodically. Remember the UNDO option if you need to go back a bit

Allann
29-06-2009, 8:03pm
it is really hard to get all the edge detail, cause in her hair for example the background will be visible through some of the softer hair.

It can be done, but it would take a lot of work, and involve zooming in to get all the details in your selection correctly.

The best way (in my opinion) is to make a fairly accurate selection, then feather it by about 5-10 pixels. Move your selection to the new background and then slightly blur the edges to blend it in better. It will take some practice to do well, so take it slow, don't get frustrated and work methodically. Remember the UNDO option if you need to go back a bit

Actually Rick, when hair is involved and a resonable distinction can be made between subject and background, I have had a lot of success with channel masks. I can do a tutorial on it if anyone is interested? This means that all the fine hair is still shown and not "hidden" by a feathered selection.

ricktas
29-06-2009, 8:05pm
Actually Rick, when hair is involved and a resonable distinction can be made between subject and background, I have had a lot of success with channel masks. I can do a tutorial on it if anyone is interested? This means that all the fine hair is still shown and not "hidden" by a feathered selection.

Sounds good Allan, and always welcome more tutorials to assist members

Inspired
29-06-2009, 8:22pm
Hi Allan,
A tutorial would be great thanks - i'm sure ALOT of people would get use out of it.
I have just tries uploading the photo to flickr but it keeps timing out, before its finished (my interenet connection is a bit slo due to end of the month).
This is the only one i have on there atm, but i think the background and hair colour would be to similar to be able to do anything, do you think?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3565456239_c57be4a37a_b.jpg

I am using the Canon 50d. I will checked the updates and upload when my connection is back up2 speed, hopefully that helps...or maybe i am just doing something wrong?
Is it normal for teh RAW files to stay on the CF when you have selected to delete after uploading?

Allann
29-06-2009, 10:03pm
Ok, I'll put something together in the next day or two.

Re the files, not sure I always use the Camera's Format menu to clear the card when I insert it, or if already inserted, when I leave for a shoot. That way I have the files if I somehow stuff up with my import/initial processing. (Oh yeah, and I only shoot RAW, not both).

But I think the reason Vista will only delete the jpgs is because they are the only files it has imported, but maybe someone else can shed some light on this as I have not experienced that problem.

Allann
01-07-2009, 9:07pm
I have create the tutorial (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=339057)as promised, however, I was unable to use your image as an example as the hair and background were too similar to extract a good mask but tried with a similar light subject/dark background image. If you were to do this with your picture, first create a layer copy of the background and apply a levels adjustment so as to increase the contrast between the hair and background and then perform the steps.

I hope this helps and answers your question.

Inspired
15-07-2009, 3:51pm
Thanks so much Allan, that looks great!
My interenet keeps playing up so have only just seen it, cant wait to try it out!
Thank you for putting in so much time to explain it.
Nicole
:)