PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for white backgrounds?

balwoges
25-06-2009, 1:36pm
interested in how others obtain pure white backgrounds for their product/other photographs. Am trying to photograph a bottlebrush against a white background.

ricktas
25-06-2009, 2:13pm
cardboard, white sheet etc. just make sure it is back a bit from the actual subject and use an appropriate aperture so that the background is a bit blurry as well, which makes it look like a plain white background rather than a sheet/piece of cardboard. You need to ensure it is smooth and wrinkle/crease free for best results

davesmith
25-06-2009, 2:21pm
Along the same lines, what about pure blacks? Cardboard and sheets will work nicely with white since white is fairly forgiving in exposure. With blacks though, a piece of cardboard can still be reflective of light depending on the material, whether card or fabric.

I @ M
25-06-2009, 2:25pm
Try your local cabinet maker to see if you can find the white fronted board that they use at the rear of kitchen cupboards etc. It is about 3mm thick has a very smooth white surface and can be easily cut, glued or nailed. Hardware stores will sell it to you in a 2.4 x 1.2 metre sheet ( at a price ) but cabinet makers may have off cuts going cheap. :D
You have probably seen it as a drawer liner or similar in inexpensive furniture.

Here is it being used as a background for a particularly shapely and stunning young model.
With the right amount of light and good subject to background separation as Rick said, it will not need much PP to have it very evenly and brightly white.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh294/ImagesAtMarlo/pkin.jpg

balwoges
25-06-2009, 2:48pm
Have used white paper sheeting, flash, without flash and can process to white background however its the background between the fine stamens of the bottlebrush that are stubbornly refusing to become white instead of pale grey :confused013 in the meantime my specimen is slowly dying and I will have to sneak down to the trees behind the beach with my secauters to cut another - ooops!

ricktas
25-06-2009, 3:30pm
Along the same lines, what about pure blacks? Cardboard and sheets will work nicely with white since white is fairly forgiving in exposure. With blacks though, a piece of cardboard can still be reflective of light depending on the material, whether card or fabric.

I use black cardboard, material. If it needs a bit of work, I do some photoshopping with the burn tool to make it as black as possible

balwoges
25-06-2009, 3:41pm
Just call me contrary - but I want an all white background :D I appreciate all your suggestions
Mary

davesmith
25-06-2009, 3:47pm
Sorry, i didn't mean to bring black into it to distract from your original question. I was hoping there might be someone who'd pass on some knowledge of both. I figured if someone was adept at getting the whites right they'd have some idea of the blacks too.

ving
25-06-2009, 3:50pm
paper mostly... i tend to shoot small things.

oldfart
25-06-2009, 8:18pm
Ebay Link to White Background (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fotogen-ArtChrome-Muslin-Backdrop-3m-x-6m-White_W0QQitemZ380133257665QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item5881b531c1&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:1|294:30)

I have the above, although they do get dirty quickly, and shrink in the wash :(

DAdeGroot
25-06-2009, 8:22pm
Depends what I'm shooting.
For small things, I have a roll of drafting paper which works a treat.

For people, I have a 3m x 7m white photographic velvet backdrop :)

NikonNellie
25-06-2009, 10:33pm
I bought a couple of MDF boards from Bunnings and painted one side matte white and the other side matte black. Works a treat for me. The white sides also double up as reflectors when I do portraits.

wf5
03-04-2010, 5:51pm
For white vinyl off the roll at spotlight, for black polar fleece works wonders.