PDA

View Full Version : Windows Photo Gallery-Vista....Horrible?

leanneqld
24-06-2009, 10:43pm
Bought a new Desktop a few months ago..runs Vista.
When the photos from my K200d are uploaded and opened in windows photo gallery the photos look a bit odd-like the contrast and saturation have been given far too much extra boost. When I open them in photoshop they look a lot better.

I have tried adjusting the gamma and calibrating the monitor-everything looks good on the screen except the pics opened in photo gallery...
has anyone else noticed this?
Does anyone even use it? Is it just a bad program to bother even using?
I downloaded Picasa today and they look a bit better in that.

Miaow
24-06-2009, 10:52pm
All i can think of is the difference in abobe and sRGB - make sure the photoshop pics are set for the same as the other software?

Kym
24-06-2009, 10:52pm
What colour space?
Have you loaded the Pentax raw codec?

Miaow
24-06-2009, 10:59pm
software that came with the camera CD? Have you tried loading that and using rather than windows? Might look better?

Kym
24-06-2009, 11:01pm
Codec here: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/rawcodec_vista.html

leanneqld
24-06-2009, 11:24pm
hey cypher and miaow..thanks for the quick replies....
everything is set to sRGB
I have the pentax lab and browser installed..the pics look a bit better in this as well...its just the windows vista gallery that they look crap......i thought something was wrong with the camera -i was changing the settings cause i thought the camera was set too much for the contrast/sharpening and saturation..

Cypheroz....I rarely shoot RAW and when I do I use DNG.....I mostly shoot Jpeg so I dont think the codec would help.

Analog6
25-06-2009, 6:34am
I use Fast Stone as my image viewer, does a nice job, you can just hit 'E' to swap to your photo editing program (once nominated), and it does batch resizes etc and it is FREE. Works in Vista.

leanneqld
25-06-2009, 10:20am
THanks Analog..I have heard a few good reports over the years that fastone was good. May as wel give that a go too..LOL :th3: