PDA

View Full Version : Buying PC parts online - anyone have preferred sites?

pilling
14-06-2009, 11:02pm
Hey Guys,

As a side project (and to procrastinate instead of studying) I'm going to build a Home Theatre PC.

I want to buy the parts and start from scratch to MAXIMISE the amount of time I spend on this (and I'm not a luddite, I have built stuff before). Anyone have suggestions for good online PC parts retailers?

Kym
14-06-2009, 11:06pm
Not online... MSY are cheapest.
www.msy.com.au

pilling
14-06-2009, 11:13pm
Nice one Kym, I'll check it out.

Kym
14-06-2009, 11:27pm
Nice one Kym, I'll check it out.

You can't complain about MSY's service - coz there is none :)

Worst web site on the planet - deliberate to keep 'mum and dad' out.
They deal with people who have more than a clue. Which is why the prices are so low.

The the Aldi of computer parts - but less service (in fact none).

Good on warranty - so don't be afraid to buy.

OwenS
14-06-2009, 11:53pm
Not online... MSY are cheapest.
www.msy.com.au

+1 on these guys. They are the only ones i use for all my PC parts. They have a fair few stores around the place, and they will build it for you for like $50.

I @ M
15-06-2009, 6:12am
Tom, have a look at www.scorptec.com.au They are site advertisers here, have a couple of stores in Melb. + an online ordering system.

Roof
15-06-2009, 6:27am
www.umart.com.au

Good as well

Harves
15-06-2009, 6:32am
I agree with Andrew, Scorptec is a site advertiser. Why look further when there prices and service are spot on :confused013

Roof
18-06-2009, 9:47pm
I agree with Andrew, Scorptec is a site advertiser. Why look further when there prices and service are spot on :confused013

Bit expensive, i think...

draco
18-06-2009, 9:56pm
other than msy.. have a look at www.cpl.net.au and www.centrecom.au .. for comparing prices, have a look at www.staticice.com.au

Roof
19-06-2009, 6:50am
i'm just looking for a barebone computer, hard to find. i can't be bothered building one from scratch, to much hassle i reckon

SpaceJunk
19-06-2009, 7:32am
I've been dealing pretty much exclusively with Scorptec for over 10 years and have always enjoyed superior service and support, they may not be the cheapest but are very competitively priced and you'll find their website one of the best around , they even have a forums of their own where you can chat with the technicians about parts compatability etc in a pre-order scenario. They are well established and reliable and a site sponsor so please consider them, and please use this site as a click through from their banner add :food04:

Roof
21-06-2009, 8:22am
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=Australian_PC_Shops

Just came across this

Roof
21-06-2009, 9:30am
Just a quick question to all you smart people , is it possible to buy a Barebone with the VGA NOT intergrated ????

thanks

milspec
21-06-2009, 9:57am
www.umart.com.au

Good as well

Happy to take your money, nor so happy to provide you with honest service ....

SRR33
21-06-2009, 10:19am
pccasegear

Realiable and great service :)

Roof
21-06-2009, 3:48pm
Happy to take your money, nor so happy to provide you with honest service ....

Never been to that stage,

CapnBloodbeard
23-06-2009, 9:51pm
MSY are highly overrated. I built a PC a few years ago, I think I only bought one or two very minor parts from them - everything else (which, at the time, was a pretty standard mid-range build) was cheaper elsewhere.

MSY are also pretty shocking at having stock.

You'll probably find that most other places are happy to pricematch MSY, and will actually offer decent service and may even have parts in stock.

I've dealt with ITEstate a few times, but there's been a bunch of stores that I've dealt with and had no problems whatsoever, I'd have to look back through my inbox to find out who.

Use www.staticice.com.au - it's like a price search engine, but you need to know what you're looking for.

If you're just browsing around....ITestate, ComputerCity, HB Outlet are some of the ones I've dealt with successfully.

I've heard of most places on here too, and the ones I know of are reputable. So browse around with those places to start with.

brindyman
16-07-2009, 2:23pm
msy www.msy.com.au

umart www.umart.com.au

PC Case Gear www.pccasegear.com.au

those are the three i use no probs with either

their is also staticice as mentioned but havent used them yet