PDA

View Full Version : Hair and kicker lights

Shane
12-06-2009, 9:43pm
I've been doing some reading about studio lighting. I can't find a lot of info on hair and kicker lights. Is it best to use a flash or a constant light for this purpose. If constant, where would I find them? I can find a wealth of info on flash lighting but not constant. Is something from Bunnings or similar an acceptable option?

Thanks in advance.

Shane

ehor
13-06-2009, 10:33am
I use a flash aimed at the back of the head with a stubby holder as a snoot.

Shane
13-06-2009, 11:03am
Yeah if I decide to go the flash option I'll probably do something similar. I suppose a small low powered flash would suffice? My main concern with using a flash over a constant light is that I reckon a constant light would be easier to aim at the right spot on the hair, not to mention it may end up being less expensive. I'm just not sure what kind to use and where to get it.
Thanks for the reply ehor. :)

ehor
13-06-2009, 12:03pm
Not sure how you'd control spill with a constant light. They tend to generate bit more heat too.

latino
06-07-2009, 3:22pm
I have had some pictures taken in a constant light studio set up and let me tell you its very uncomfortable. Not too sure if it was the type of lights my friend had but it generated a large amount of heat.

Like I said not too sure if this relates to all situations but this specific kit created an uncomfortable amount of heat.

bigdazzler
06-07-2009, 5:43pm
I read somewhere recently (cant remember where) that you should fire your hair light one stop brighter than your key light .. and I would use a flash too, too much spill with constant and too damn hot.

FOOTNOTE: Im no expert, just my very inexperienced opinion :o

Shane
08-07-2009, 7:29pm
Thanks Darren and latino. Yeah I've decided on flash. One stop brighter hey? I'll see what I can find on that. I have a heap of reading to do yet, I'm sure it will pop up somewhere.

MarkChap
10-07-2009, 12:51pm
The other problem with a constant light would then be the White Balance, you would need to gel your main flashes and set WB to tungsten to get an even colour

imageman4
11-07-2009, 8:45pm
Hi
Hair lights are just flash monoblocks with a narrower beam on them.
If you are using flash as your main and fill light then a constant light will give you two problems. Different colour and or will not expose at the sync speed of 125thor even higher which can be use with all flash.
The best modifier for a hair light is a beauty dish. Very easy to use as you don't have to reposition it every time the sitter moves. These are available for studio flash lights.

These are grid attachments for speed lights that narrow the beam down too.
Imageman4

Shane
13-07-2009, 8:53pm
Thanks Mark and Imageman. I've been doing some reading (actually heaps of it) and am considering making some light modifiers. Appreciate the tips.

bigdazzler
13-07-2009, 8:57pm
Check this out Shane ... DIY Grid Spot (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=26175)

DzRbenson
14-07-2009, 6:58am
I think the stubbie holder is the best bet, for me, I just use a basic little LED Light and aim it the same way as the flash.

If it lights up, I go for it.

Shane
15-07-2009, 4:26pm
Thanks Darren, I definitely give that a go, it a good thread. Thanks to you too DzRbenson I'll try anything.