PDA

View Full Version : 18-200mm lens for my 40D

Lucky23
11-06-2009, 2:37am
Hey guys,

I was thinking of getting an 18-200mm lens simply as an everyday, every occassion (well.. most occassions :P) sort of lens. Mainly because i don't think i can really afford to buy multiple lenses to cover such a range.

At the moment, i'm still very new to photography and haven't really found a specific style to shoot in. For this reason i assumed the 18-200mm lens would be good for me as it would provide some versatility.

I'm thinking about getting the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.2 DC OS Lens. Oh yeah.. are the HSM lenses only for Nikons?

Also did a Google search and came across the Canon EFS and the Tamron 18-200mm lenses. After about a couple hours of reading reviews it became info overload. :action003:

Has anyone had any experience with these particular lenses or have any advice on purchasing a lens with similar zoom range (sorry... i'm still learning the proper terminology :confused013 ).

Does anyone have any rough ideas of how much this would cost me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Lucky

phild
11-06-2009, 10:17am
I had the 18-200 Canon for a while, the reviews are lukewarm, as they say, it's as good as any one elses lens of that focal range.

I quite liked it, my only complaint is that it was noticeably soft at the long (200mm) end.

To get an idea of image quality check this post (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=320145&postcount=1), I shot a candid of one of my grandkids wide open at 185mm with that lens.

nwhc
11-06-2009, 10:39am
Hi Lucky,

I got this lens when i first got a 40D it was great on the 350D but on the 40D it was terrible could not get a sharp image for the life of me.

i would say steer clear,

Lucky23
11-06-2009, 3:41pm
Hrmmm okay thanks for the heads up guys. Does anyone have any suggestions for zoom lens with long enough focal length and that has decent image quality :P?

R1titan
11-06-2009, 3:53pm
Just came back from an o/s trip and found that i was using the 18-200 IS 70% of the time.
Mine is sharp throughout the whole focal range, even wide open @ 200mm. I couldnt be happier with this lens, one of my main lenses in my stable.
Just make sure you get some sort of stabilizer on the lens cos at 200mm you will find that it will give you a higher percentage of keepers.
Also, make sure you get a good copy with accurate focusing thoughout the range, nothing worse than misfocusing!!

Also, i would consider the Tamron 18-270 VC purely for its 15x range. Just make sure you get a good copy and test it before purchasing.

Edgar
21-06-2009, 4:12pm
Hi

I've got the Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS kit lens for my Canon 50D and I must tell you that when I am out and about on a holiday trip, this is the lens that I would be carrying around with me. Here are the reasons why

Pros:
1) Practicality - one lens as opposed to the traditional 2 lenses your everyday photo shooting

2) Focal Range - From wide-angle (although it really isn't all that wide on 1.6x crop sensor, it is still a reasonable wide angle) to telephoto range with one lens.

3) IS - It has Image Stabiliser, love it or hate it, it is still useful considering the fact that this is not a fast lens, so it comes handy sometimes.

4) Weight - Reasonably weighted despite the focal range + the IS.

5) Price - Very good value for money when you factor in the focal range you get out of it.

6) Other surprises - It has got a zoom lock mechanism which locks the lens barrel from
moving (or zooming) while you are carrying it around, however not for manually locking a lens at a certain focal range. It can also stop at f/32, good for if you do not have a ND filter on hand and need to get a long exposure shots during day time.

Cons:
1) Dust - This lens is a sucker for dust. I've had it for less than 3 months and there are dusts already trapped in between the front glass elements. The only way to remove the dust is to send it off to Canon (or any other camera repair shop) to have it dismantled and cleaned.

2) Focus - No manual focus overide, you will have to manually switch the focus to manual in order to use the focus ring.

3) Lens design - Not the best designed lens because as per point no.1, the fact that the lens barrel moves as you zoom is actually sucks air which can attract dusts.

4) Not a fast lens

5) EF-S Only - This is an EF-S lens, which means it is only for crop sensor camera. I don't mind it comes as a kit lens for my Canon 50D, however, if I haven't had one and am looking to get one with a decent focal range, I would at least invest in the EF 24-105mm F4L, at least it has reasonable (not as long as the 200mm though) range, better weather-proofing design, and would suit a full-frame body if you were to upgrade in the future.

6) Sharpness - Not the sharpest lens, however it isn't that bad.

Still this is a good lens if you want to take general photography with you 1.6x crop sensor camera. You can also be creative with your photos using this lens, all you need is just your imagination and making the most of what you have at the time.

Please also note, when I mean by me going on a holiday trip, I mean a general family holiday trip, where it involves taking photographs plus general place visiting and a little of shopping. So when you do that, you would want to make sure your gear is as light and little as possible, which means this little 18-200mm EF-S lens is the perfect gear to carry with you.

Lucky23
23-06-2009, 2:37am
Yeah i'm looking into the Tamron 18-270mm at the moment. Just checking out the reviews before i make a decision though.

Thanks for the concise review Edgar. Very helpful advice.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Tamron lens i mentioned above?

feral1
29-06-2009, 1:35am
I have looked at quite a reviews on the 18-200 lens. I bought a mag for the articles and comparison in lenses. The Sigma 18-200 came up trumps compared to the others, yes it even beat the Canon lens.
I have not used the lens at all, would like to, to see how far of the mark it is.
but from what I have read and researched the Sigma is the better.

Peter

edenconnell
10-10-2009, 7:45am
[QUOTE=R1titan;326043]Just came back from an o/s trip and found that i was using the 18-200 IS 70% of the time[QUOTE]

Hey there...

I´m still on my overseas trip and this lens is great I miss my L series lenses (they are back at home) but this lens is on my camera 80% of the time....

I like the fill the frame and this lens is perfect to do this with.....

For you´re level of photography I would assume this lens is what you are looking for.....

Have a look at some of my shots to see if this is the sort of lens you are after http://zoominwitheden.com

PeterH
02-11-2009, 7:29pm
My reading od the Sigma 18-200mm reviews is that it isn't all that good. I have a Nikon D90 and the 18-200mm and it is really sharp throughout it's range and I wouldn't be without it although if I had to choose again the Tamron 18-270mm is just as good with probably slightly better IS and obviously a longer reach. I have had the use on one on a Canon 400D and it is excellent.

You won't go wrong with the Tamron 18-270mm.

HansPeter
15-02-2010, 11:56am
Checkout my RedBubble said!
Most of my images are captured with the Nikon18-200mm. I’m happy and satisfied. Cheers Hans
Nikon18-200mm

Speedway
15-02-2010, 1:31pm
I was looking at this lens for my 400D and after reading through the reviews decided on the 18-200 Sigma, then when ready to order I spotted a review for the 18-250 Sigma and after reading a few reviews all of which said most of the problems from ehe 18-200 were fixed in the18-250 I decided on this and have had no regets after 8 months as the main lens on the 400D and now the results are great on the 7D.
Keith.
Ps the 18-200 canon doesn't have HSM , the 18-250 does this is a good reason to find the few extra dollars,
7D 18-250 Sigma at 250mm

GJC
16-03-2010, 2:14pm
Hi Speedway,
With the Sigma 18-250 HSM, can you manually fine adjust the fucus without turning off AF, or do you have to switch to Manual Focus?

Speedway
16-03-2010, 9:55pm
Greg you have to switch to manual with this lens as there is no override like the 10-20 or 150-500.

thelastname
16-03-2010, 10:43pm
It's a good lens for it's money, while it's not a brilliant lens it is quite usable. You get what you pay for.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2417/3535543242_6ea7a18977.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelastname/3535543242/sizes/o/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2421/3623624291_75dd1d9df6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelastname/3623624291/sizes/o/)

soulman
17-03-2010, 12:05am
At the moment, i'm still very new to photography and haven't really found a specific style to shoot in. For this reason i assumed the 18-200mm lens would be good for me as it would provide some versatility.Your reasoning makes good sense, but there are some points you may wish to consider:
• The 40D is an impressive camera, capable of very high image quality.
• Having a limited range of focal lengths available isn't necessarily going to limit what you can do but using poor quality lenses might.
• High ratio zooms - more than 5X - are extremely difficult to do well and even expensive ones are not highly regarded generally - the Canon 28-300 costs over $3000 but doesn't get glowing reviews.

Given all this, I might suggest a couple of different options:
• 50 f1.8 One of the best value lenses available. Many outstanding pictures have been taken with 50mm lenses and many teachers advocate using such a lens while you're finding your feet. It will force you to concentrate on picture taking more than any zoom ever will.
• 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS Cheaper than the 18-200 and quite well regarded by many. I had one for a while and found it to be a good performer. IS can be handy. I only sold it because I got a 24-105.
• 70-200 f4 L A little more expensive than the 18-200 but an outstanding and highly versatile lens. Something that will bring out the best in the 40D.

Of course Canon make the 18-200 for a reason and people buy them and like them, as we have already heard. At the same time, I don't think any of the lenses you mention will bring out the best in the 40D and the image quality of 10X zoom lenses, regardless of the body used, is similar to what can be had from a good quality compact camera. If I could choose between an SLR with a 10X zoom and a Canon S90 or G11 I would much prefer either compact because I would get much the same image quality with much less gear.

OzzieTraveller
17-03-2010, 8:59am
G'day Lucky

I would say "go for it mate"
Whichever brand you go for will be okay ... while one may be best at the short end, another may be best at the long end, but overall, the convenience of such a lens will outweigh all else

I'm running a Panasonic camera + my std lens is a Leica, 24-275 (dSLR Equiv) and it's magic
As I walk around towns or country, with a quick flick of the zoom ring I can pull up all sorts of fine detail and leave my dSLR mates watching with awe at the ease of it all

Regards, Phil

thelastname
17-03-2010, 10:53pm
If you are still looking at buying the Sigma 18-200mm I am going to sell mine as I now have the Canon 70-200mm f4L IS on the way.

monkey
22-03-2010, 12:24am
I would say grab the 18-200 efs. Quality for it's versitilty is great.

Buggles
13-05-2010, 1:34pm
Hi,
I have the Sigma 18-200, good idea for a lens, just not up to the task if you want an image greater than 6x4. This was the second copy of this lens as the first was very soft. I don't use it anymore gave it to my father to use for holiday snaps. I mainly use the 24-105 instead.
Cheers,
Craig