PDA

View Full Version : m4/3

swifty
04-06-2009, 11:09pm
Hi Oly folks!!
I see there's not much action here but maybe soon you'll have a new addition to the crew.
I'm not sure but are any of you's excited about the upcoming m4/3 Olympus camera?
I for one am in great anticipation for a small form factor, larger sensor sized camera as a take everywhere and travel cam.
Almost sprang for a Sigma DP2 but the m4/3 standard could prove to be more versatile if implemented correctly.

TOM
04-06-2009, 11:33pm
I'll get excited when it is announced. I'll be even more excited if it can take an M mount lens.

arthurking83
04-06-2009, 11:38pm
My only concern for these kinds of systems is the unknown quantity of popularity(consumer acceptance).

if it doesn't take off in a big way, the 'small sensor' format of the 4/3rds system may prove to be a liability in the distant future(say 10-15 years time).

Technology changes so fast and it may not be unreasonable to expect 100Mp APS-C sized sensors with decent ability, but the smaller format of the smaller sensors may prove to become a technological limitation. As digital cameras seem to be assessed on the number of pixels they have, consumers are lead astray for the wrong reasons, so when they hear that the new model P&S they have their eyes on is only 24Mp, or that the new (4/3rds) DSLR is only 55Mp vs the probability that the new (APS-C) camera is now at 100Mp(APS-C) or 200Mp for the full frame equivalent... and for only a few hundred dollars more, it'll make the smaller sensor models look less attractive, because the first thing consumers are interested in is the number of megapixels.

Once the bandwagon is abandoned, then it makes it harder for those companies to make a profit which may lead to their demise, or abandoning the old system in favour of a new system which makes the old lenses not really worth much any longer.

Many camera formats have gone forever due to the camera manufacturer abandoning the system because of limited acceptance by the general consumer population! So the possibility is a real one if the manufacturers involved in the format(Olympus and Panasonic) don't get it right from the start ... price being the most important factor.

The ElectronicViewFinder may also be an issue for some(I know that I don't like them!) but that's only an educated guess, without actually having seen through one yet!

swifty
05-06-2009, 12:08am
I think the target audience for m4/3 or Olympus for that matter is not mass market. N C and S have got that pretty much dominated.
Olympus could still do well as a niche player if it designs well. I agree that the 4/3 standard has liabilities due to physical constraint but it has potential advantages that I don't believe it has been able to exploit with their current products (eg. size). Sure Olympus cams are smaller than APS-C ones but not really by a meaningful amount.
The only problem with m4/3 doing well is that N C and S will look and say if m4/3 is successful, so will mAPS-C. So when they release, they really need to get it right the first time to convince enough users to invest in that system before competition gets too stiff.

ehor
05-06-2009, 9:07am
I just hope it takes SD as well as xD cards!!!

swifty
07-06-2009, 9:35pm
Leaked photos of the top and side of the Olympus EP-1 are now popping up around the net. An official announcement shouldn't be long now :)

Wulfys Kingdom
07-07-2009, 6:45pm
I'm too not sure about the m4/3 & EP-1. Since I already own 2 Oly bodies buying another body (and selling an exsiting one) doesn't appeal to me as I am happy with what I've got and the E330 & E510 don't worry me size wise.

These would have appealed to me if I was buying my first camera, but as an existing user with limited funds unfortunately they dont.

Scotty72
07-07-2009, 9:39pm
As someone who, only weeks ago, abandoned Olympus in favour of Canon (could just have easilty been Nikon - or sony, I guess), I am not excited.

520 is a great camera but has serious limitations that made it no longer viable for me. Mostly, crap high iso perfomance.

4/3 is going to be far noiser than the Canikon crops.

m 4/3 - don't see this will be any different.

Scotty

TOM
07-07-2009, 9:44pm
sure, the bigger sensors are always going to win out, but these latest micro 4/3rds have proven already that their iq can match some late dslr's. and let's face it, iq in dslr's at normal iso (800 and below) has been more than acceptable for years.

lukiez
09-07-2009, 6:10pm
As someone who, only weeks ago, abandoned Olympus in favour of Canon (could just have easilty been Nikon - or sony, I guess), I am not excited.

520 is a great camera but has serious limitations that made it no longer viable for me. Mostly, crap high iso perfomance.

4/3 is going to be far noiser than the Canikon crops.

m 4/3 - don't see this will be any different.

Scotty

Just wondering thoe, were you going by the e520 vs the 40D in terms of noise? I believe the 520 is in a much lower league than the 40D...

Scotty72
09-07-2009, 6:36pm
Just wondering thoe, were you going by the e520 vs the 40D in terms of noise? I believe the 520 is in a much lower league than the 40D...

No, I was comparing to my friend's 450D... Same league.

800 iso.... the 520 was very noticeable at 400. I wish 800

Scotty

swifty
10-07-2009, 12:15am
I think the EP-1's competition is your G10's, LX-3's, DP1/2's rather than DSLRs.
The form factor is its biggest edge. I mean, stepping up a notch and I guess you could start to compare the GH-1 to small DSLR's but once you loose pocketability then your competition really opens up.
To me anyways, there are 3 class of camera sizes:
1. pocketable (include largish jacket pockets)
2. Not too heavy to hang off around your neck.
3. too heavy to hang off around your neck.
That includes lens weight/size too.

So I guess EP-1 can be classed as 1 or 2 depending on the lens u put on it so it is fair to compare it to the 450XT's and D5000's but that's why the small primes are so important if m4/3 is to be a success IMHO, not matching APS-C iso (which they are inching closer to in the latest gen sensors although a gap will almost certainly always exist).

That's why I havn't put my credit card down. I'm playing the wait in see game on the lens front plus u can't buy/order an EP-1 as body only atm as far as I know. I still don't know how TOM got his hands on one to play with. I've tried 3 stores who all say it's coming in a few weeks.

dbax
10-07-2009, 12:21am
sure, the bigger sensors are always going to win out, but these latest micro 4/3rds have proven already that their iq can match some late dslr's. and let's face it, iq in dslr's at normal iso (800 and below) has been more than acceptable for years.

normal ISO(800):confused013 my E300 was unusable at 400 ISO,:( biggest disappointment for $$$ the best thing I can say about Olympus is the Zuiko lenses ....fantastic

Scotty72
10-07-2009, 12:32am
normal ISO(800):confused013 my E300 was unusable at 400 ISO,:( biggest disappointment for $$$ the best thing I can say about Olympus is the Zuiko lenses ....fantastic

My experience exactly. The e520 wasn't unusable at 400 but very, very noticeable.

In good light, excellent camera and yes, the lenses are brilliant. Shame it was all 4/3

Scotty

Beej
26-04-2010, 8:13pm
Long live Zuiko quality!

rooney1987
22-05-2010, 2:02am
It's going to be the future format for sure. :wd: