PDA

View Full Version : Nikon sigma 10-20 Price Where to Buy?

Seven
03-06-2009, 9:24pm
Just wondering if anyone knows where the best price to buy the sigma 10-20 would be?

Im in Adelaide if there is somewhere local or can someone suggest somewhere online with the best deal.

Tikira
03-06-2009, 10:04pm
Hi Seven.
Did you read the replies to a question we asked about the Sigma 10-20? Some of these could be very helpful to you. We only noticed tonight there is a new Sigma 10-20 out a Sigma 10-20 3.5 lens, i think, but have not been able to find prices for it yet.

We are also trying to find the best prices for the Sigma 4-5.6 lens at the moment.

Link to our post is below
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=31294

Good luck
Di

ricktas
03-06-2009, 10:10pm
Also try the 'best price' sites like www.staticice.com.au and www.shopbot.com.au

David
03-06-2009, 10:39pm
This link below will give you a pretty thorough lens reveiw for the Sigma 10-20

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_10-20_4-5p6_n15/

For a comparitive lens ( some have this one instead of the Sigma) you can look at the Tamron 10-24MM reveiw here

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_10-24_3p5-5p6_n15/

And there is of course the Canon if you are running off a Canon body here.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon1022EFS/index.shtml

There will a Nikon in that focal length range for comparison too Im sure-

Bottom line for me was the Canon is the better glass but costs alot more and Im going with the Sigma, but others have been equally happy with the Tamron apparently.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION MAKING.

David.

Seven
07-06-2009, 1:56pm
Seems that on eBay is the cheapest for around $650 delivered. Just dont have any problems or it costs alot back for freight etc

David
07-06-2009, 5:57pm
Ebay prices range between 630-750 delivered but most if not all of them are 'grey' stock coming from OS and there may be issues if the lens needs recalibrating etc.

At the moment your going to pay 100.00 (at least) more for one with an Australian based 12 month warranty etc and you go to places like PhotoContinental, Teds Cameras, Rainers or whatever.

Im waiting until the reported 10-20 2.8 comes on the market assuming the other 10-20mm is going to drop in price when the whoopdeedoo 2.8 is available and 'supercedes' the old one. The fella at Photo Continental has heard of the 2.8 10-20mm but knows nothing about availability or price for the new gen 10-20 Siggy yet. Im sitting on my hands for awhile.

NeilC
07-06-2009, 6:36pm
Hi Seven,

If looking at sigma,

Check out this link.http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465&h=grey%20market&

The bottom paragraph states that they will price match on Grey market imports, through their authourised network. So you get your cake and eat it too :D

I have seen a couple of people on another forum take them up on this and all went well.

David
07-06-2009, 6:46pm
Havent floated the grey import price past your mates at Kennedy yet Neil, might have to do that soon.

Tikira
08-06-2009, 12:00pm
We have obtained a price through CR Kennedy of $605 + $45 postage, which was matching the price we found at an Internet store for a grey import and comes with their warranty. So we think it was worth the email.

We plan to order this lens later this week, as we would like to get to know it before our next holidays. We will let you know how this lens turns out over the next few weeks.

nedwab
08-06-2009, 2:18pm
whoa. thats a real good deal.
i had placed an order from an Australian site for this lens (at what i thought was a good price) and am now in the process of canceling the order to go speak to CR Kennedy!

any chance you could give me the web address of the internet store that you used to get this price?

Seven
08-06-2009, 9:49pm
We have obtained a price through CR Kennedy of $605 + $45 postage, which was matching the price we found at an Internet store for a grey import and comes with their warranty. So we think it was worth the email.

We plan to order this lens later this week, as we would like to get to know it before our next holidays. We will let you know how this lens turns out over the next few weeks.

Sent them an email yesterday and I am wondering if I pick it up what they would say. I could only find one for 609 so looks like I will a wait there email reply or call tomorrow.

Seven
08-06-2009, 9:50pm
Hi Seven,

If looking at sigma,

Check out this link.http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465&h=grey%20market&

The bottom paragraph states that they will price match on Grey market imports, through their authourised network. So you get your cake and eat it too :D

I have seen a couple of people on another forum take them up on this and all went well.

Should of said cheers for that info before

David
09-06-2009, 10:38am
650.00 delivered is a very good price I would have thought for a lens with a local warranty and service option: not much more than what you would have paid for it pre Xmas when the price this lens jumped 3-400 dollars. Still, I wait for the reported 2.8 version to come out and that might drop the price of the 'old' version down some more :)

Seven
10-06-2009, 7:23pm
Still waiting on the powers that be approve my purchase over here, but might find out very soon if I am getting the same sort of deal. Appears its better dealing direct with Melbourne sales office.

Have to take some photos of 2 houses this week and I am hanging out for this new addition.
:banana:

nedwab
10-06-2009, 7:38pm
i canceled my order of a 10-20 to go to CR's, and they were more than happy to honor the $609 (plus delivery) price.

i am in WA and CR's here are getting the lens from Melbourne, hopefully mine will be here sometime this week so i can have a muck around with it before heading to NZ!

thanks for the heads up on this CR Kennedy offer, saved myself some good cash!

Seven
11-06-2009, 6:34pm
i canceled my order of a 10-20 to go to CR's, and they were more than happy to honor the $609 (plus delivery) price.

i am in WA and CR's here are getting the lens from Melbourne, hopefully mine will be here sometime this week so i can have a muck around with it before heading to NZ!

thanks for the heads up on this CR Kennedy offer, saved myself some good cash!

You blokes are havin more luck than me, still waiting 4 days for an answer and I am trying the 609 price as well.

Tikira
11-06-2009, 7:13pm
We too are still waiting on a reply after 3 days to our request to purchase and will be following up tomorrow.

WasasaW
11-06-2009, 9:25pm
Hi Seven - I purchased one of these (4-5.6 version) 3 weeks ago from 47th St Photo in New York. You can get to them either directly on their web site or via Ebay whichever you prefer.
I ordered and paid around 7pm Adelaide time on a Friday evening and the lens was on my desk at work at 9:25 the following Tuesday...
All up just on A$650.
You have to weigh up the warranty issues however you will save more than it will cost to send back to the US in the event of a problem (and it's a 4 year warranty).
This is the 2nd time I have purchased from these people - 12 months ago bought the Sigma 70-200 2.8 along with the 1.4 tele and trouble free transaction also.
In the short time I've had the 10-20 I'm loving it....
One thing to be aware of also is there is a 42nd St Photos - have read some unfavourable things so be aware if you go this route don't get the wrong crowd.....
Cheers

Seven
12-06-2009, 3:01pm
well finally got my reply from cr kennedy and its not what I was expecting $690, where was the price matching involved

David
12-06-2009, 5:01pm
Should be interesting to see what Tikira gets quoted - maybe its an individual one off thing and theyre starting to balk at multiple requests for price matching on one particular lens.. interesting developments

Tikira
12-06-2009, 5:12pm
We were quoted what we asked for in the first place (can't remember the quote off hand), but took a week to get back to them, and still waiting on their reply now.
Di

Seven
12-06-2009, 9:26pm
Should be interesting to see what Tikira gets quoted - maybe its an individual one off thing and theyre starting to balk at multiple requests for price matching on one particular lens.. interesting developments

Bit disappointed as it is kinda of misleading in what they say on the website. I am waiting to a manager gets back on Monday in Melbourne. Its a pretty bold statement on their site and no terms that state other prices other than the price match.

We will match, through our authorised Sigma dealer network, any legitimate advertised internet price on Sigma lenses by these grey importers.

But dont want to create to much of an issue as they could pull the statement and make it harder for others to get similar deals.

ch00su
12-06-2009, 10:26pm
I am going to order mine in next couple of days.
Got reply back from CR Kennedy this afternoon that they'll match the price for Sigma 70-200 f2.8 II plus 1.4x teleconverter.
It was just under $1300 plus shipping, which is pretty good price considering most retailers sell 70-200 lens alone for around that price and you get local warranty.
They can be little slow to respond to your email but it's well worth waiting.

Cheers,
Young.

David
13-06-2009, 6:25am
What Im thinking is that we have a market gap here .

What if people like us could pick a lens we want then go to a website in Australia that promises to deliver within 5 working days and match 'grey' prices and responds to your email within 24 hours and offer an Australia wide warranty.

It would take a big up front investment though to be able to buy in bulk etc to get the products to Australia at a price you can make a reasonable level of profit from to maintain a vibrant business, or would it ?

Maybe if said business owners were prepared to take a smaller profit margin and didnt have the overhead costs of a C R Kennedy, for example, it would be worth looking at.

Hmmm....

Meantime, I am going to whack off an email to C.R Kennedy and see what they can do about matching the grey prices for the Sigma APO 120-400MM F.4.5 -5.6 DG OS HSM lens.

Tikira
16-06-2009, 9:05am
We have now ordered our lens, no problems, but he had quoted us in early June when we first asked if he would price match. We just sent a link to the site we found the lens on and asked for a possinble price match. Clem Kennedy replied. We had to contact him again, (very politely), and he replied within an hour. So now hopefully all goes smoothly for us. The only annoyance is they are posting, so it will be slower than a courier.
Di

Seven
16-06-2009, 1:48pm
Well they rang me again and I am picking one up direct for $660. I am happy with that price and they seem to really try to compete, but think they have alot of stock at some older pricing.

Turner
16-06-2009, 2:24pm
I'm intersted in the outcome of this - am looking for speed in low light and am wondering wether to go the Tokina way - very expensive or go sigma - which is considered low. Just procuring a Nikon D90 and need a lens to attache the sigma could be the one.

Tikira
17-06-2009, 9:15pm
We have just received our new Siggy 10-20 in the mail today from CR Kennedy. We only paid for it on Monday and it arrived today, so can't fault the delivery service. All appears good, but I had to work (bummer) and couldn't try it out, except in the house. We hope to take some photos this weekend.

David
18-06-2009, 6:52am
Ut oh. All these positive outcomes with C R Kennedy are not going to make it any easier for me to be 'responsible' and wait awhile to order a Sigma 10-20mm for my Canon because I only got my Siggy 24-70MM 2.8 a week ago. Hmm, hows that credit card lookin :)

Good for you guys, bet you cant wait to get out there and get that lens humming.

LETS SEE SOME PICS SOON EH.

maquilina
23-06-2009, 9:01am
I've been looking at the Sigma 150mm MACRO for some time. This thread got me interested if CR Kennedy would price match this lens for me.

I email them last weekend and they sent me an email yesterday that matched the price.

For me that is excellent and shows that they mean what they write.

Cheers,
Michael

Turner
23-06-2009, 4:54pm
We have just received our new Siggy 10-20 in the mail today from CR Kennedy. We only paid for it on Monday and it arrived today, so can't fault the delivery service. All appears good, but I had to work (bummer) and couldn't try it out, except in the house. We hope to take some photos this weekend.

I guess the weekend has come and gone - how did you get on with the lens - meet expectations - i've just invested in an epson r2880 printer and am busy calibrtating screen and printer, looking good just need a wide angle for those landscapes - as a temporary measure i ended up with a nikor 18 - 55

Tikira
23-06-2009, 5:08pm
We managed to get out on Monday and Wayne had a lot of fun playing with his new toy. We tried to upload photo's, but photobucket was in a bad mood, so he will do it tonight or tomorrow. It certainly is different to use, so will be trial and error for a while, but he is very happy with it.
Di

David
23-06-2009, 5:14pm
Good for you Di and Wayne. Lets see some uploads soon-:)

Seven
23-06-2009, 5:47pm
Just got mine today and wow what a lense. They are very robust and solid. Wait for the photos hopefully soon

I @ M
23-06-2009, 6:59pm
Wait for the photos hopefully soon

Over an hour now ------:sport18: ---- digital images are instant. :D

Tikira
23-06-2009, 9:10pm
Wayne has posted a couple of shots in the "architectural" area that he took yesterday with the Sigma 10-20
Di

Seven
29-06-2009, 9:18pm
Over an hour now ------:sport18: ---- digital images are instant. :D

Lol yeah yeah it took over a week in the end - Some of my shots with the new lens is posted recently in the architectural section too.

Turner
03-07-2009, 11:21am
Thanks for that guys now I really understand the usefulness of such a wide lens - you can get in real close.

Cheers
Tom

mcdesign
03-07-2009, 12:37pm
It is $850 from European Cameras in Sydney.

http://www.cameras.net.au/index.php?cPath=30&osCsid=4ebae112f01fc28f5d352eefd0681380

chicko
15-07-2009, 6:51pm
Was about to purchase a Sigma 120-400 lense from an Internet supplier, but decided to check the forum just prior to purchase.

Adelaide quote = $1400
Internet $970 plus delivery
Cr Kennedy with Australian Warranty = $1033.00

Thanks for the info. C R Kennedy very quick (over night) to finalise deal.

Now just awaiting delivery

rogklee
16-07-2009, 6:59pm
WOW this is amazing.

I'm looking to get a Tamron 17-50mm. Anyone know if any company provides such a service for Tamron?

J.davis
16-07-2009, 8:17pm
AFAIK you can only get list price in Aus. Internet shops are cheaper though, if you don't mind the limited warranty. I got mine SH off Ebay.

Seven
16-07-2009, 11:20pm
WOW this is amazing.

I'm looking to get a Tamron 17-50mm. Anyone know if any company provides such a service for Tamron?

No, but if Sigma they beat ebay pricing by matching with full warranty. Just have to speak their lang

kobeson
16-08-2010, 9:58am

Hi,
I am looking at buying the Sigma 10-20 f3.5.
I am wondering where this price of $605 + $45 postage was matched from? I would like to get the best deal possible, so was thinking of getting CRK to match the best price, but am unsure which site is offerinf it at that price.
Cheers,
Daniel

Tikira
16-08-2010, 10:13am
Hi Daniel.
I can't remember where offhand, but will have a look through our records and PM you. We looked at a lot of Sigma 10-20 prices before making our decision.
Di