PDA

View Full Version : Hints and Tips needed:::

SSSchwing
12-02-2007, 4:19pm
Say your were to do a self portrait... how do you focus the camera on the eyes?

I don't have a remote (yet, coming this week) so the timer is my friend at the moment. But I can't see what I'm focusing on, its just guess work.

any tips out there on how to do this?

sans2012
12-02-2007, 4:55pm
OK, of the top of my head

You could use some string or wire, hang it roughly across where you’re going to position your self (at eye level) focus on the string. Now set the timer and run around in front of your cam, put your eyes up to the string, remove the string and say cheese:)

Have you got a video cam by any chance? I would love to see you do this lol.

Sorry buddy, I’m having a brain fart day today:action003:

methd
12-02-2007, 4:57pm
u dont have a D200 by any chance? (edit- just read the 400d sig) as u can set it up to AF and interval shooting. i tried that once, shot every 5 seconds, and it focuses before it shoots, awesome feature.

otherwise, the other way to do it is to focus on something that is the same distance as ur eyes - ie line up an object... and then once it's in focus place it in manual focus mode so it doesnt change. and shoot from there using a timer or remote.

third way.. trial and error with plenty of shots using a centred average focus metering.

andrask
12-02-2007, 6:08pm
Here's another thought - try an alter ego. :)

1. A dummy of the same build as yourself is best. Put it in the position you intend to assume and focus on the eyes.

2. Failing that make a cardboard cut-out of your body outline i.e. a life-size lateral cross-section of yourself. If sitting, then head and torso will do. From your reflection in the mirror fill in the position of your eyes (again life-size) and mark these clearly with an appropriate marker. Set it up as close to the final posture and position of your intended portrait as practicable.

Using the 9-point AF Point Selection button, do some fiddling until you get one of them to locate an eye (with 9 points there's a fair chance you will hit the jackpot). Select that point, replace alter ego with ego on timer and Bob should be your uncle. :)

Do a few tries to allow for some leeway (or margin of error) in your ego placement.

arthurking83
12-02-2007, 6:43pm
I'm kind of assuming you want a shallow DOF, otherwise there wouldn't really be a need for such precise focus...

If you shoot at f/8 or f/11 ish you should be completely in focus.

apart from that useless piece of trivia, I can't really offer anything else :confused:

Ronbo
13-02-2007, 2:53am
Andrask are you saying he should use a crash test dummy??

I can't offer more on this than maybe have someone take it for you after you get the setup done to what you want.

SSSchwing
13-02-2007, 8:23am
thanks guys...

i don't have a spare me laying around unfortunatley and i don't have a manequin or similar either... if you do, i might ask why, but then i'd be scared of the answer :p

I might try sticking my monopod or something where i think my eyes will be and then see what happens.

and if i can figure out how to do this 'interval shooting' methd suggested.... may need my manual for that one.

ps. migranes suck, especially when ur at work

methd
13-02-2007, 11:21am
thanks guys...

i don't have a spare me laying around unfortunatley and i don't have a manequin or similar either... if you do, i might ask why, but then i'd be scared of the answer :p

I might try sticking my monopod or something where i think my eyes will be and then see what happens.

and if i can figure out how to do this 'interval shooting' methd suggested.... may need my manual for that one.

ps. migranes suck, especially when ur at work

don't quote me, but i'm fairly certain that interval shooting is a nikon d200 feature only :)

sans2012
13-02-2007, 11:44am
don't quote me, but i'm fairly certain that interval shooting is a nikon d200 feature only :)

I think something similar can be done with the Canon software; remote shooting timer type of thing. Dont quote me either;)

SSSchwing
14-02-2007, 2:09pm
well i just ordered my wireless remote, so hopefully that might help a little

Bax
14-02-2007, 4:31pm
I was going to suggest get somebody to stand in for you. If your alone focus on the wall behind where you will be, then move the tripod back however far your standing from the wall.

But, a wireless remote will be magic.

sans2012
15-02-2007, 12:22am
well i just ordered my wireless remote, so hopefully that might help a little

You will still need a reference for distance:) The wire:D

SSSchwing
16-02-2007, 9:08am
You will still need a reference for distance:) The wire:D

eh? lol

can't I just sit in front of the camera and focus?

(i just have to work out how to turn on the infra red on the 400 :action003: , it comes hopefully)