PDA

View Full Version : missing

Pat
30-05-2009, 12:44am
external hard drive showing as running ok but not showing Icon any ideas

ricktas
30-05-2009, 8:18am
Depends how well you know your way around your computer operating system as to what you can do. Even though it shows as running it might be defective. So you have a few things that it could be;

- defective drive
- bad cable
- bad usb port
- operating system issue
- and more

The trick is isolating each issue and eliminating that from the cause

* First thing, if it is a USB connected drive, plug it into a different USB port.
* Second thing, try plugging it into another computer ( a friends etc) and see if it is recognised and works.
* if it doesnt work with those, it is either the usb cable or the drive with the issue.
* If it works with those, then the issue is either hardware of software within your computer itself. The most likely is a software issue.

If you have a reasonable understanding of how your operating system works (is it windows and which version)? Report back and we can progress further with finding/eliminating the cause.

milspec
30-05-2009, 8:40am
Hi Pat, Windows will sometimes assign a mountable resource to an already existing resource. Try using Disk Management and see if the external hard drive is listed there. You can get there by using the explorer, right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. From here you will be able to find Disk Management. Hope this helps.

ricktas
30-05-2009, 8:43am
Hi Pat, Windows will sometimes assign a mountable resource to an already existing resource. Try using Disk Management and see if the external hard drive is listed there. You can get there by using the explorer, right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. From here you will be able to find Disk Management. Hope this helps.

Agree, but if Pat isnt that skilled with the back end of his operating system, the disk management area should be used with caution.

Philr
30-05-2009, 9:40am
I have one that when it gets over half full takes about 5 minutes to actually show as a icon in "my computer". I just plug it in and walk away for a few minutes and gives it enough time to load. Worth trying to see as well

Seesee
30-05-2009, 11:16am
Would it be the brand on HD ?...my Western Digital 500 G HD takes up to a minute or longer to register once turned on, but my Maxtor 1TB takes about 10 seconds....and if I try to power up both at once "sometimes" the Western Digital just wont come online

Philr
30-05-2009, 11:18am
mine is western digital as well that takes ages.

Pat
31-05-2009, 9:48pm
Thanks Guys for all your feed back it is WD I solved the problem :D took it back to the store H Nomans and they exchanged it so for so good will not get another .