PDA

View Full Version : PS CS4 Educational Version ??

bigdazzler
21-05-2009, 10:10am
I just found this ...

Who may purchase and use Education Editions?
Anyone using the product for home or educational use. NO STUDENT ID IS REQUIRED. Full or part-time students enrolled at Higher Education establishments defined as accredited public or private university or college that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of six (6) months study OR students enrolled at an accredited public or private school providing full-time instruction.

Now does the bold bit mean any regular joe can buy an educational version as long as its only used at home and not comercially ??

ricktas
21-05-2009, 10:55am
certainly sounds like it, but WHERE did you find that information. Adobe site, or a third party? I would definitely check direct with Adobe if it isn't

kiwi
21-05-2009, 11:04am
Adobe:

"
Appropriate identification

The Adobe Academic Reseller Authorization requires resellers to authenticate qualified educational end users according to the following policies for appropriate identification. This information is part of the signed agreement between Adobe and the reseller.
Individual

Definition. For a Purchase by an Individual, Appropriate Identification means:
Clear, readable copies of the following documents: A current, valid photo identification and valid evidence of current enrollment at or employment by an Educational Entity. Examples include, without limitation: School photo identification card that includes date validating current status; or
School photo identification or driver's license or other official photo identification with corroborating evidence including but not limited to: faculty or staff paycheck stubs; student course curriculums or tuition bill with a valid date and printed with the Educational Entity logo or seal; an official letter from the registrar of the Educational Entity; or
For K–12 students only: when the above-listed Appropriate Identification is not available, an official letter from a teacher at the Educational Entity verifying the student's right to order Educational Software Products; or
Such other identification as permitted by Adobe from time to time by posting a list of such Appropriate Identification on its website
Validity. Each identification provided to Reseller shall be valid for a period of time not to exceed one (1) year from the date that the Appropriate Identification was actually furnished to Reseller, or, if applicable, the expected graduation date for the Individual, whichever is less."
So, me thinks ID is needed and the reseller may being a bit naughty.

Kym
21-05-2009, 11:07am
Free Photoshop...

If you have a CS3/4 license at work you are allowed to install it once at home. :th3:
Adobe have what used to called a 'book' license; i.e. if you have a book at work and take it home you still only have one licensed copy in use at a time. So if you have it at work and have it at home and only once copy of the two is being used at any point in time - all goodness.

Talk to your friendly IT manager!

Refer section 2.4 of the Adobe EULA http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-CS3-20060817_1651.pdf

pgbphotographytas
21-05-2009, 11:25am
Free Photoshop...

If you have a CS3/4 license at work you are allowed to install it once at home. :th3:
Adobe have what used to called a 'book' license; i.e. if you have a book at work and take it home you still only have one licensed copy in use at a time. So if you have it at work and have it at home and only once copy of the two is being used at any point in time - all goodness.

Talk to your friendly IT manager!

Refer section 2.4 of the Adobe EULA http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-CS3-20060817_1651.pdf

This depends on how it is licensed at your work, if you have a single install copy you should be right doing this but if your company has a site or company licence then as far as I am aware it can only be installed on computers that belong to your work place.

Paul

MarkChap
21-05-2009, 11:27am
Not sure where where you got that from Darren.

I purchased CS3 Educational Version, there is no activation key inside the package, there is a form that had to be filled out and sent to Adobe.
To be included on the form was Valid ID and proof of eligability for educational use. Student ID card from a Uni, School ID for High Scholl students etc.

There was a warning on the pack that stated that if purchased and you were not elligible for a code then NO refund would be forthcoming, we were also warned about this at the time of purchase.
Educational versions of Adobe software MAY NOT be used for commercial purposes, so if your photography is a business you are not allowed to use the education version for the business.
I would be very carefull in purchasing if not able to provide adequate proof.

bigdazzler
21-05-2009, 1:24pm
Not sure where where you got that from Darren.

I purchased CS3 Educational Version, there is no activation key inside the package, there is a form that had to be filled out and sent to Adobe.
To be included on the form was Valid ID and proof of eligability for educational use. Student ID card from a Uni, School ID for High Scholl students etc.

And thats all folks ... Thanks Mark. It certainly didnt make sense to me. :confused013 If this was the case , how the hell would Adobe ever sell a full retail version ?? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys .. Just wanted to reaffirm what i thought I already knew :D

Kym
21-05-2009, 1:33pm
This depends on how it is licensed at your work, if you have a single install copy you should be right doing this but if your company has a site or company licence then as far as I am aware it can only be installed on computers that belong to your work place.

Not quite. Site rule 15 notwithstanding IANAL...
Section 2.5 covers that. But with volume licensing the 2nd copy still applies but the 2nd install must be for the benefit of the business. Which means it can be installed on home hardware as long as the use if for the benefit of the business. What does that mean? I'm learning new features or techniques at home then the business benefits!

I @ M
21-05-2009, 1:51pm
What an absolute can of worms this one is.

If one has a look for the conditions of use on an Australian retail site they give the example that student editions cannot be used for commercial purposes but then go on to say later in the page that students or teachers who buy the educational version can use it for commercial purposes.
They then provide a link to Adobe UK that says much the same thing.

Australian retailer. (http://www.studentdiscounts.com.au/misc/faq.shtml?sid=9e2603c75fbd433ff22bab1310356eb0)

Adobe UK FAQs (http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/purchasing/faq.html)

Obviously the educational versions are a lot more expensive than the student versions so are they actually saving any money over the normal retail price?

Analog6
02-07-2009, 7:56pm
Thanks for the link. Now I am working at a training college I am eligible, as I do training and admin. Have ordered CS4 suite for under $400, a good bargain I think.

Scotty72
02-07-2009, 8:52pm
The irony of this is that on Monday, I will get a useless laptop - thanks to Prime Minister Krudd and his Digital Education Revolution.

We don't want it, need it nor will we have much use for it.

And, I get yet another copy of PS CS4. (this will make 3)

Yippee!

engineIT
07-09-2009, 2:04pm
I just found this ...

Who may purchase and use Education Editions?
Anyone using the product for home or educational use. NO STUDENT ID IS REQUIRED. Full or part-time students enrolled at Higher Education establishments defined as accredited public or private university or college that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of six (6) months study OR students enrolled at an accredited public or private school providing full-time instruction.

Now does the bold bit mean any regular joe can buy an educational version as long as its only used at home and not comercially ??

Hi all, I sell these all day ;)

just to clarify:

There are 3 licences for adobe cs4 boxed products. the features of all versions are the same. the manuals are on the disk in most cases or printed.

STUDENT: total of 1 install. cheapest ones.. can only be installed by submitting your ID issued to you from the dept of education. eg uni or tafe or school ID card. these range from all the cs4 suites, flash, photoshop and dreamweaver.

EDUCATION: total 2 installs. a few hundres dollars more.. no id is required although these are to be used for personal, academic, gov use.

COMMERCIAL: total 2 installs. most expensive.. for commercial use. no id required.

scott
www.engineIT.com.au
0410 697 399

Speedway
07-09-2009, 4:29pm
To me it all reeks of rip-off. If they can afford to sell it to one section of the community at one price then that should be the price or at least just home and commercial versions and it is about time s/ware company's realised that if they charged a reasonable price for their s/ware pirating would reduce by a significant amount. Even Microsoft have dropped the student version and now call it home use.
PS Scotty I know where you could find a home for that useless laptop and CS4

Kym
07-09-2009, 4:32pm
To me it all reeks of rip-off. <snip>
Adobe = rip off - nooooo :rolleyes: :p

They are very expensive ! But are the market leader so we get stuck with them.

engineIT
07-09-2009, 5:43pm
To me it all reeks of rip-off. .. Even Microsoft have dropped the student version and now call it home use.

aye they dropped the Teacher & Student vers it because businesses were buying it on the cheap. They took out "Outook", replaced it with "One note" and called it home & student.

Hopefully people won't abuse the adobe range otherwise we may see features cut from their academic range down the track..

bigdazzler
07-09-2009, 7:05pm
Hi all, I sell these all day ;)

just to clarify:

STUDENT: total of 1 install. cheapest ones.. can only be installed by submitting your ID issued to you from the dept of education. eg uni or tafe or school ID card. these range from all the cs4 suites, flash, photoshop and dreamweaver.

my understanding is that when you purchase a student version, you need to supply a student photo ID to the retailer/or adobe to get the license code? Is that right ? When you install the software, do you need to register a name for the product or is the license key all that I required ?

engineIT
07-09-2009, 7:40pm
quote: my understanding is that when you purchase a student version, you need to supply a student photo ID to the retailer/or adobe to get the license code? Is that right ? When you install the software, do you need to register a name for the product or is the license key all that I required ?

yes when you purchase student versions, you can start using it for 30 days. Within the 30 days you need to submit a photo and student id to adobe via fax or email. Within about 24-48 hours adobe send you the activation code to keep it going..

you are correct you just need the license key. Registering your name isn't part of the activation, its generally for marketing purposes and product newsletters etc.

bigdazzler
07-09-2009, 7:53pm
ahhh ok .. so initially I dont even need the key to get it up and running in the first instance and just need to have the license key by the time the 30 days runs out .. So if you know a full time student who will provide an ID, theres nothing stopping average Joe buying a student version.

Chookman
08-09-2009, 8:49am
....And, I get yet another copy of PS CS4. (this will make 3)

Yippee!

hey Scotty ... Send me a copy :D

Chook

aycee
15-09-2009, 11:21pm
I have the Academic version of CS4 and it only needed the serial..no activation at all unlike the other varieties.....i am employed in a teaching institution and they bought it for me but is registered to me and i have it on my graphics PC and my laptop..dont know whether this helps or hinders..Alan!

Frank051
07-10-2009, 12:21am
I do not think so

nickoff
15-10-2009, 12:14pm
As i am currently looking at software purchases I saw CS4 on the Adobe US site for US$699. At current exchange rates (plus Johnny Howards never ever be a GST) that's about AUD$770. Adobe Aus website was quoting AUD$1439 including GST. I sent the Aus site an email pointing out the discrepancy and asking why they were ripping off Australians. Guess what? No reply.:crzy:

campo
15-10-2009, 1:21pm
As i am currently looking at software purchases I saw CS4 on the Adobe US site for US$699. At current exchange rates (plus Johnny Howards never ever be a GST) that's about AUD$770. Adobe Aus website was quoting AUD$1439 including GST. I sent the Aus site an email pointing out the discrepancy and asking why they were ripping off Australians. Guess what? No reply.:crzy:

engineIT (an aussie company selling aussie region software) have it for $984. I bought LR2.4 and CS4 from them and Scott (the owner) was great to deal with. Here's a link:

http://www.engineit.com.au/shop/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=photoshop+cs4

In regards to purchasing software from overseas, you sometimes need to be careful as it may be configured only to run in certain regions (ie. checks your Windoze region setting). Whilst sometimes a simple region change may work, it's not gauranteed and other "tricks" by manufacturers are employed to prevent illegal use etc.

See comment (below) from Scott of engineIT. This was taken from this thread: (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=403378#post403378).

Hey Jev sorry for the late reply. I contacted adobe and unfortunately their products will not work from different regions. I also asked "can the customer just change their regional settings either on their computer or during the installation?" Answer was "no, it still won't work." ...so either way jev I wouldn't risk it

bigdazzler
15-10-2009, 2:23pm
for International copies of CS4 to work you need to set the language to English (International) in the drop down menu.

When you download and install a trial version it installs by default as English (US). This needs to be changed if the serial number is from anywhere other than the US. My copy came from Great Britian and Id already had the program installed from a trial download, the serial number wouldnt work. I needed to completely uninstall the trial version and reinstall from the DVD. During install it went straight to English (International) in the language drop down, and now its as good as gold.

I should mention all of this happened on a mac though, I wouldnt imagine it would be any different on Windoze.

Prang
02-11-2009, 9:42am
I brought a copy of CS4 Extended for my son who is in high school it cost $187 and needed a copy of his school report and my drivers licence as the credit card holder.

They never asked for them in the end I suspect they have a register of school aged children? or they only check at random.

That was from the Adobe Australian site.

I also brought a serial number for Lightroom 2.5 for $45, but I am anticipating that it will stop working one day, so when lightroom 3 comes out I will buy a proper copy.

That was not from Adobe!

Brad
02-11-2009, 11:19am
I have previously bought CS3 Extended for my daughter. I sent in a letter from her school and a serial number was sent in a couple of days. She is allowed to have it on 2 computers so she has it on her laptop and on the main computer at home. Adobe told me that so long as they aren't being used similtaneously then there is no problem. Not sure how they check but both installs work fine

optogamut
02-11-2009, 1:00pm
I came across this recently on ebay, basically they say you can buy an education version which is not the student version. Watch his video on youtube. I haven't bought anything from them, but it was food for thought.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ADOBE-CS4-Creative-Suite-4-DESIGN-PREMIUM-MAC-or-WIN_W0QQitemZ130340313376QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_software?hash=item1e58e35920#ht_4352wt_1167

virgal_tracy
03-11-2009, 12:07pm
Even better option is to get a teacher to purchase it for you. My wife is one and she recently purchase Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection for $88 plus postage. For under $100 she got everything that Adobe creates. Outstanding value in anyone's language.

dleesteere
04-01-2010, 4:28pm
is there any difference in functionality between the commercial and educational versions of CS4?