PDA

View Full Version : About to post first photos for AP:::one last question:::

kom123
17-05-2009, 11:32pm
Tommorrow I will probably get a chance to upload my first photos to the forum for some C&C. I had the opportunity this afternoon to use my DSLR for the first time and took the kids to a local park for a play so I could also try out some shots.

Have had a quick look at the results (not that many taken) and some were completely crap (now deleted) but there were some I thought came out ok.

I was going to crop a couple of the better shots for composition only before uploading. My question is:

At this stage because I am learning and trying to get better, should I not perform any post-processing (apart from the croppping) so you all can see the original pics and provide better advice as to where I have gone wrong, what setting I should have used etc etc?

Oh and if I can slip one other question in, should I limit my uploads to say 2 or 3 pics per post for better C&C?

Thanks Scott

Tannin
17-05-2009, 11:58pm
Learning about post-processing is a part of it too, Scott. But the extent to which your PP should be a part of what your pictures are is debatable. Some people PP a lot, and produce highly processed images; others prefer to do as little as possible. You will have to work out for yourself where you stand on the real look vs processed look spectrum. It's a matter of individual taste. But wherever you stand, you might as well start posting as you mean to go on.

Uploads per thread? In general, one is the best, but you should let your own judgement guide you for individual circumstances. For example, if you are pondering the merits of three different ways of shooting a given subject, then it would make more sense to include all three in the same thread.

geko104
18-05-2009, 12:02am
I would say yes to any pp you may want to do. And Yes also for only posting 2 or 3 pics that way you should get fairly in depth c&c. Looking forward to seeing your pics. Good luck.

I @ M
18-05-2009, 5:43am
Two or three pics in a post usually works well to get adequate CC, some people ( I am one ) will then concentrate on one particular picture and offer opinions on what did or didn't work with the shot. Be sure to include a description of the amount or lack of PP in the shots as well.

A separate post with a before and after PP will allow people to see the direction you are headed with software and from there they can give advice and tips on your methods as well.

Don't be shy, post away, the positive and helpful comments on here out number the negative 10 - 1 . :)

ricktas
18-05-2009, 7:18am
Looking forward to seeing them. If you do minimal post processing at this stage, at least consider doing a levels (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=22436) adjustment and sharpening (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8579).

kom123
19-05-2009, 1:41am
Well that opportunity didn't arise Monday to post the pics, worked during day and night, and have only had a chance now to read all your replies. Thanks for your advice! So later today I will apply some PP (levels and sharpening only at this stage) and upload for some C&C.