PDA

View Full Version : How do I:::::

Inspired
16-05-2009, 9:38pm
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere already - had no idea how to word it to search for a topic on it.
I have just purchased my first DSLR (Canon 50d) - so very excited to say the least, been reading heaps and trying to learn how it all works - but one thing i can't find anything on which i would love to know how do it? Or if its even done with the camera or if it is done using photoshop???
So basically what i'm wanting to know (sorry if i dont explain this clearly as i'm not really sure how to use the words to say what i'm asking! lol
When you see a photo and it looks like the "subject" is sitting under a spotlight, ie there's a person and there is an outer "halo" looking shadow around them - or say a lighthouse etc. Is this done by setting your camera a certain way, or is this something only done in photoshop?:confused013
Thanks advance for your reply - and again sorry if this has already been asked.
Nicole

Buddah
16-05-2009, 10:06pm
G'day Inspired

If I haven't done so before, welcome to AP.

I think the effect you are talking about is called vignetting. I'm glad you asked the question because it's the exact thing I've been trying to do so I'm not going to be much help to you right now. I see it used a fair bit on portrait posts and wedding shots here, for example in this series http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=26976&highlight=vignetting. Hopefully, JMTran will come along and give us pointers on his particular techniques.

It is done in Photoshop, amongst other editing packages and there's probably a few ways to do it. I found this tip from a quick search http://focusfaction.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038 which I will try but right now can't comment on how well it works.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'll be watching the thread with interest to see what other advice members give.

Kym
16-05-2009, 10:16pm
Find an image example and post it as a URL link so we can see what you mean :cool:

ricktas
17-05-2009, 9:29am
If it is vignetting (lightening or darkening) the edges of the photo, it can be done in most photo editing software. In photoshop, use the top menu:

Filter > Distort > Lens Correction

In there is Vignette, with sliders for lighten/darken and midpoint (midpoint determines how far from the centre of the photo your vignette starts to appear). The only issue with the photoshop one is that it works from the centre of the photo outward, in some cases you might want the effect to radiate out from the top, or left etc, and that takes a bit more photoshop work to achieve. Learn the basics first though.

Inspired
17-05-2009, 12:30pm
After looking at the links you provided buddah, i'm pretty sure this is what i'm taking about.
CyberOZ unfortunatley i dont have any photo's online that i can post up - seen it allot but all on printed copies, but they look pretty similar to the Wedding pcitures that were posted.
Thanks ricktas, i'm in the process of getting photoshop (have looked around in the shops here and they only sell the student version which i dont quailify for) but when i finally find it i will try what you mentioned!
Hopefully i will be able to post something to show off my new skills! (if i can figure it out!)lol

Buddah
17-05-2009, 5:40pm
Since finding that link I've been using it a fair bit on a wedding photobook I'm doing for friends and am really happy with the results. Just need to avoid going overboard.

Good luck with your own photos and thanks for giving me the push to go looking for it.