PDA

View Full Version : 50mm prime or 17-70 for party photos??

Ellen
16-05-2009, 3:27pm
Hi everyone

I'm taking photos tonight at my sisters 21st. Which lens should I use - 50mm f1.4 or my 17-70? I will also be using my new sigma flash. I'm thinking take both just in case, but I think I might get better results out of the 50mm, but like the idea of having some room to move with a bit of zoom.

Thanks in advance :D
Ellen

ricktas
16-05-2009, 3:54pm
Take the 17-70, and if you have something like a 70-200 take that as well. Getting good candid shots can mean being away from your subject and getting that shot across the venue, the longer focal length can come in handy. Certainly the 17-70 gives you some good scope to zoom in or out a bit. The 50mm is good, but you might find yourself wishing for something wider when you go for group shots etc.

Harves
16-05-2009, 4:13pm
The 17-70 would give you more flexibility at taking individual and group shots.

A matter of interest...... From EXIF infomation, I wrote down all the focal lengths used at the last wedding I photographed, they were between 18-112mm, not too many shots at each end of the scale, more in the 28-85mm range. It was an interesting exercise, although time consuming.

kiwi
16-05-2009, 4:16pm
hmm, Harves, there is a software program that can do that automatically for you, I can dig it up if you like

Yeah, take both, if its really poor lighting or you struggle with the new flash the 1.4 might be handy. It's only little

Ploddy
16-05-2009, 5:40pm
Wot they said. I would use the 50 for 'hey guys, want me to take a photo of you?' shots, and a zoom for the candids.

Ellen
16-05-2009, 5:45pm
thanks heaps guys!!! hopefully will be able to post some rippers tomorrow :)

Harves
16-05-2009, 5:49pm
hmm, Harves, there is a software program that can do that automatically for you, I can dig it up if you like

Thanks for the offer Darren, I just did it out of curiousity that's all

arthurking83
16-05-2009, 6:18pm
hmm, Harves, there is a software program that can do that automatically for you, I can dig it up if you like.....

I reckon Darren is referring to:

Exposure Plot (http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html) is a brilliant lil program that helps you analyse what focal lengths you have a preference for.

In this instance, it'd be used to plot the most common focal length used for a given event, and allow you to see where your preference lies.

Harves, this thing is so much easier than doing it manually! :D

enduro
17-05-2009, 1:32am
I have a 17-70mm and can recommend it as an all round lens and wouldbe good for your purpose as the zoom would come in handy.

The 50mm would be handy, however you might be in a bit of trouble if you a wanting the 50mm to act as just at on a a non FF camera. A 32mm is effectively a 50mm on a 1.6 crop.

While we are on the 17-70mm* can someone confirm the white dot between the 24m and the next increment on the zoom ring is 50mm? TIA.

Terri
17-05-2009, 4:42am
Yep, what others said, I'd go with the 17-70... 50 may not give you wide enough angle sometimes I think.... but it's a great lens so maybe take both?

Actually, the partys probably over by now. Hope you had fun!

I @ M
17-05-2009, 4:49am
Actually, the partys probably over by now. Hope you had fun!

It is a 21st so it is probably just getting into top gear as we write these posts Terri.

At least that is how parties used to go when I was that age, I think, errrr, the memory isn't that good anymore. :D

C'mon Ellen, it's tomorrow already and you promised us some pics from the party, waiting waiting waiting ----------:music05:

DzRbenson
17-05-2009, 7:29am
Since you have a flash, I would go with the 17-70, The 50mm would get better shots but restricted, however the 17-70 allowed you to play with angles.

TOM
17-05-2009, 9:23am
50mm is my pick, it will have two advantages. Firstly the image quality is better and secondly, it is going to be two to four and a half stops faster! If you want wider, then take a few steps back. If you want closer, then approach the subject. Getting good candid shots is about making your subjects feel comfortable. Shooting from across the room with them not knowing your are there is not a good plan of attack. And pointing an SLR with a huge zoom lens on the front can seem intimidating for some people. The 1.4/50mm will allow you to isolate your subject by using the big apeture of the 1.4 and also some nice low light shots.

Ellen
17-05-2009, 12:05pm
It is a 21st so it is probably just getting into top gear as we write these posts Terri.

At least that is how parties used to go when I was that age, I think, errrr, the memory isn't that good anymore. :D

C'mon Ellen, it's tomorrow already and you promised us some pics from the party, waiting waiting waiting ----------:music05:

hehe Terri - the party was just getting started! Not really, we were still out but not far from coming home by that stage.........

I didnt end up taking photos myself, I wanted to have a good time so I palmed it off to my 10 year old cousin, who by the way, did a great job! I looked over several times to see her directing her subjects into a group shot, looked like a total pro! Although I havent seen the photos yet - my uncle left my camera bag and laptop bag in the cab :eek: and very very very luckily for us (and particularly him!!!!!!) the cabbie was honest and handed it in to the cops so still yet to go pick it up. :angry0: :action: :eek: Last time I trust him with my stuff!!

We had the 17-70mm on it all night. And I'm pretty sure it was the right choice, so we'll see......

Thanks for the advice guys!! :cool: :)

Terri
17-05-2009, 12:13pm
Although I havent seen the photos yet - my uncle left my camera bag and laptop bag in the cab :eek: and very very very luckily for us (and particularly him!!!!!!) the cabbie was honest and handed it in to the cops so still yet to go pick it up. :angry0: :action: :eek: Last time I trust him with my stuff!!

Oh my goodness! :eek: My heart started beating too fast when I read this bit. So glad it was handed in, and hope your head's not too sore :D

Ellen
17-05-2009, 12:41pm
Oh my goodness! :eek: My heart started beating too fast when I read this bit. So glad it was handed in, and hope your head's not too sore :D

Thanks Terri..... So am I!!!!!! I'll give him hell for a week or two! We didnt even know it was missing until the police called at 7am which scared the hell out of my mum!! My heads not too sore, although I haven't been that well this morning :( :crzy: Maccas at 4:30am always seems like a good idea at the time! LOL!:eek: :rolleyes: