PDA

View Full Version : Im Calibrated, Now What

Sammi
15-05-2009, 12:25pm
OK so i got my spyder yesterday and have calibrated my lappy which is my main workhorse, i must say it looked very out of wak befor but now looks very nice when veiwing photos, most of my photos have a yellow glow to them when they have been previously processed,

Ok the question i have is when using photoshop do i allow the program to convert it to the monitors colour space or leave it at the cameras embedded one, I shoot in RAW with adobeRGB1998 and also print with the printers adobe RGB 1998 profile, when i printed a photo yesterday with the monitors settings the print turned out very light and washed out, is this because i was using the monitors profile now and not the rgb one...

Im so confused with this whole calibration thing, i also go a printer profile program with the spyder but tryed using it and it doesnt pick up my printer model so i just went with the one it said and the Test prints look awesome... but when printing my photos from photoshop they look light and washed out...

HELP

ricktas
15-05-2009, 12:54pm
Leave it (photoshop), use the colourspace you have used all along. You do not need to set any programs to the colour profile that the spyder created, except your monitor. The spyder software does the monitor profile automatically.

So Photoshop should NOT have the monitor profile set in it anywhere.

Sammi
15-05-2009, 1:42pm
Leave it (photoshop), use the colourspace you have used all along. You do not need to set any programs to the colour profile that the spyder created, except your monitor. The spyder software does the monitor profile automatically.

So Photoshop should NOT have the monitor profile set in it anywhere.

Cheers Rick,
So in otherwords i shoot RGB, Process RGB and print RGB..... then all should be good

It was just everytime i opened a photo that wasnt in the spyder colour profile it would change it to that as soon as it was opened, so now ill just change it back.

ricktas
15-05-2009, 1:57pm
photoshop is colourspace aware, so as long as you have it set to the same colourspace that you take your photos in (AdobeRGB or sRGB) you should not have any problems at all.

One thing I have found is that it is more critical to select the right paper type when printing. Many companies that produce paper (Canon/ Epson/Canson) also have downloadable ICC profiles for their papers. This is worth doing, and ensuring you select the exact same profile for the paper type you are using.

Why? If you get various types of paper and hold them side by side in the sun, you will see some look whiter, others will look yellowish, and others might appear with a slight blue tinge. Using the correct ICC paper profile can make a big difference to colour accuracy of your prints.