PDA

View Full Version : Sigma and Tamron Lenses on 50d

notahonda
14-05-2009, 3:22pm
Hi ALL!
I am intending to buy the canon 5d MK II and i was wandering if Tamron and Sigma make FULL FRAME lenses? As I would like to buy a lens that is 24-70mm f/2.8 ...however the canon lens is 2k ... however i have seen sigma 24-70mm lenses going for around 700-900 bux. Can anyone advise me how I would know if a particular TAMRON or SIGMA lens is full frame?

I know the canon range can be suggested by the L's series. I was thinking maybe TAMRON and SIGMA have a series of lenses that are full frame.

THANKS ALL!!! :)

pgbphotographytas
14-05-2009, 3:31pm
Hi ALL!
I am intending to buy the canon 50d MK II and i was wandering if Tamron and Sigma make FULL FRAME lenses? As I would like to buy a lens that is 24-70mm f/2.8 ...however the canon lens is 2k ... however i have seen sigma 24-70mm lenses going for around 700-900 bux. Can anyone advise me how I would know if a particular TAMRON or SIGMA lens is full frame?

I know the canon range can be suggested by the L's series. I was thinking maybe TAMRON and SIGMA have a series of lenses that are full frame.

THANKS ALL!!! :)

Are you talking about the 50D or 5D mk2?

notahonda
14-05-2009, 3:33pm
sorry 5d MKII

notahonda
14-05-2009, 3:33pm
F! Sorry 5d Mkii!!!

trigger
14-05-2009, 3:41pm
Having used/owned all the items you mentioned, I think i can give a bit of insight into this question i have asked myself many times.

The Tamron 28-75mm vs Canon 24-70mmL on a crop body i.e. 40D/50D/1.6x

Both are sharp in the center (@ f9-11 the tarmon is sharper) but over all the Canon corners are slightly sharper. Hence there is little difference except the price and build.

The Tamron 28-75mm vs Canon 24-70mmL on a FF i.e. 1D3s, 5d, 5d2. 1.0x

The Tamron has lost its throne. as the Canon starts to show its true potential.
The very center is still sharp but as you look into the 2/3 - extreme edges of the photo. The Tamron is fuzzy and i mean really fuzzy. Even the "bokeh" has "halos" around them. I think at this point the FF takes full advantage of the larger sweet spot of the 24-70mm Where as the Tamron as no more to give :\

I am in the process of procuring back the Canon 24-70mm myself :)

notahonda
14-05-2009, 4:03pm
That is definitely information worth noting...Thanks for that, how about the lens range? is there anything that Sigma or Tamron uses .. for example how canon has the L series... that will assist me to distinguish between a FF lens made for canon?

ricktas
14-05-2009, 4:07pm
Any sigma lens with a DG nomenclature is a full frame suitable lens

trigger
14-05-2009, 4:08pm
Any EF Mount lenses can be used on the FF.

JM Tran
14-05-2009, 4:41pm
That is definitely information worth noting...Thanks for that, how about the lens range? is there anything that Sigma or Tamron uses .. for example how canon has the L series... that will assist me to distinguish between a FF lens made for canon?

the EX designation for Sigma is sort of equivalent to Canon L, as it designates a pro grade range of lenses with better build quality and optically superior ( but not always ) to their normal lenses. They also have EX lenses for cropped cameras.

you just have to look at the focal length of a lens to tell if its full frame or not, aftermarket lenses like the Sigma 28-70, 24-70, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 28-70, 28-80 are examples

whereas for their APSC equivalent they would be Sigma 18-50, Tamron 17-50, Canon 17-55, Tokina 16-50, Pentax 15-45, to name a few

ricktas
14-05-2009, 5:05pm
Sigma EX lenses also generally have a 'gold ring' around the lens. Good way to visually see if its is an EX lens. But the DG designation says it is designed for 35mm (ie full frame)

JM Tran
14-05-2009, 5:08pm
Sigma EX lenses also generally have a 'gold ring' around the lens. Good way to visually see if its is an EX lens. But the DG designation says it is designed for 35mm (ie full frame)

and DC designation for APSC cameras:)

R1titan
14-05-2009, 6:02pm
adding on to the lens designations;

Tamrom Di is FF, Di-II works on both FF and crop.

notahonda
14-05-2009, 6:48pm
whaoooo thanks everyone this will definitely help me choose a lens... has anyone tried the 24-70mm sigma lens? i was speaking to this guy i deal alot with at paxtons and he advised me that the 24-70 is slower than the canon equivalent... getting in to pro photography ... does anyone have any recommendations of tamron or sigma lenses for the 5d MKII ? or are these after market lenses just a waste of money ? as ive heard their quality just doesnt compare...

atky
14-05-2009, 7:17pm
Hi I use a 5d wit the sigma ex 24 70 2.8 and sigma ex 120 300 2.8 they work well I also have a Canon 70 200 2.8 L the image quality on all seem to be on a par if the Canon is better I'm not good enough to see it or get the results.
The sigma 24 70 while the Auto focus is probably slower than the canon do you really need fast auto focus on a 24-70 besides that I just love the colour from the sigma 24 70.
One word of warning The sigma 1.4 TC vinyets on a FF when using a 2.8 lens wide open.(cant spell it but you know what I mean)

arthurking83
14-05-2009, 10:34pm
I think you will hear stories about how this lens is better than that lens and then you'll read stories about how that guy is wrong and that the lens she liked and raved about is much worse than the other.. etc.. etc

it's all about sample variation and that particular lens in a given situation and set of conditions.

Here's another link (http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_e.html) for your perusal that almost contradicts what Trigger said!(sorry Trigger :p), but as you can see the Tamron is almost equal to the 35mm prime from Contax-Zeiss(which is no slouch itself).
They tested on a 1Ds II

As I said, it comes down to how the camera and lens interoperate as a combo and also how good your particular lens is.

I have the Tammy, and while I liked it on my D70s, was never 100% enthusiastic about the way they both worked together.. preferring to use the Tammy 17-50 on that camera.
Which as it turns out is perfect, because when I got the D300, I feel the 28-75 works better on that camera, so the D70s has exclusive use of the 17-50, and(when my son doesn't seconder the 28-75 for the D70s) I keep it on the D300.

I suggest you look into the third party alternatives more thoroughly than a casual glance, go to the shop, test it out pretty carefully and make sure that it works as you want it too.

the problem with lens recommendations is that one persons rubbish is another persons gem.

trigger
14-05-2009, 10:51pm
I agree in part with arthur. Its what you think about the lenses. But the cold hard facts were that when i had my x0D series cameras the Tammy vs the Canon was toe to toe except in the corners. And hence i sold the Canon 24-70mm

When it came to the the 5DMK2 i calibrated the Tammy and micro adjusted it to razor sharp in the center. But facts were that the edges were awful no matte how calibrated it was :(

Hence I sold the Tammy in anticipation for the 24-70mm after i tried at the shop :D

Even with a excellent copy Tammy (QC lottery) on the 5d2 where the resolution is so high. It Just doesn't stack up vs the 24-70mm even at average one. QC is better with Canon.