PDA

View Full Version : iPhone

kiwi
13-05-2009, 9:35pm
Having just got an iPhone (after swearing I wouldn't). I love it.

Anyhoo, what cool apps do I need ?

ricktas
13-05-2009, 9:41pm
get photocalc, brilliant.

if you use skype, get that. Ozweather is good. toiletmate can be handy (finds all the public toilets near you) tvguide if you need to know what is on tele.

Games. Monopoly is fun and crash kart (crash bandicoot) is addictive.

As you are on facebook Darren, get facebook.

kiwi
13-05-2009, 9:45pm
Photocalc is a DOF calc yeah ?

I'll cgeck out the rest, the toilet one could be handy with 4 young'uns

ricktas
13-05-2009, 9:54pm
photocalc gives you sunrise.sunset. DOF, exposure reciprocation, flash output, info on Zone system, sunny 16, filters and more.

Charmed
13-05-2009, 9:56pm
iphone converts here also.
upgrading both mine & hubby's ph's next time I'm near a optus shop.
More power instore. Been with optus so long & can get anything I want. Walked out with a bag full of useless crap, that the kids loved last time.
they lost the sale other day over the ph when they transfered me to sales department & turned out to be an OS call centre

kiwi
13-05-2009, 9:57pm
excellent, downloading now. I alrready had downloaded DOFMaster too.

ricktas
13-05-2009, 9:57pm
If you want to do seascapes - ayetides can be handy, gives you tidal charts for fairly much anywhere on the planet.

If you want to be able to show others your photography, 3D gallery is good, it creates a virtual gallery, you can 'walk' around and you set it up with your own photos, on the walls etc

Charmed
13-05-2009, 9:59pm
If you want to be able to show others your photography, 3D gallery is good, it creates a virtual gallery, you can 'walk' around and you set it up with your own photos, on the walls etc

NOW that feature could be very handy indeed ;)

ricktas
13-05-2009, 10:06pm
Another good one is "Around Me". It has a list of places, and you select what you want and it finds all the ones 'around you'.

Eg. Banks, bars, coffee shops, petrol stations, hospitals, hotels, car parks, pharmacies, pubs, restuarants, etc.

So if you are in an unfamiliar place and need to say find a pharmacy, it will find the nearest one and give you directions to it.

kiwi
13-05-2009, 10:07pm
I have so far found

qantas
aroundme (using google maps to show you local restaurants, petrol stations etc)
stanley level
ebay
pandorabox (list of apps temporarily free or on special)
abc
nimbuzz (online chat from facebook, msn, yahoo etc consolidated)
italk (dictation)
westpac
say lite (voice dialling)
mobicast cricket
take car (plots from where you are to where you parked your car on a map)
wikipanion (wikipedia)
evernote (note taking, taggiing photos etc)
google
air sharing (not got this going yet, creates a virtual drive from PC to iPhone)
currencies
itot cards (flash cards to keep my 2 year old amused)
Dofmaster

pgbphotographytas
13-05-2009, 10:34pm
I have so far found

qantas
aroundme (using google maps to show you local restaurants, petrol stations etc)
stanley level
ebay
pandorabox (list of apps temporarily free or on special)
abc
nimbuzz (online chat from facebook, msn, yahoo etc consolidated)
italk (dictation)
westpac
say lite (voice dialling)
mobicast cricket
take car (plots from where you are to where you parked your car on a map)
wikipanion (wikipedia)
evernote (note taking, taggiing photos etc)
google
air sharing (not got this going yet, creates a virtual drive from PC to iPhone)
currencies
itot cards (flash cards to keep my 2 year old amused)
Dofmaster

Sounds like you have found quite a few good apps, I am not a huge fan of the Iphone.

ash233
13-05-2009, 11:46pm
iPhones are the future thats for sure...

i use these:
ozweather
schralpTide
BOMRadar
CommBank
AppSniper
PowerCurve
Shazam
flashlight
facebook
MetroMelb
SkiComputer
Ebay
ShoppingList
GoogleEarth
Qantas
Cheeseburger (HAHA)
Speed test
Carpenter
Ringtone
DigitalCaliper
Oakley Surf report
Sunrise& Set
Flight Control (addictive)
tv guide
iHunt 3d (addictive)

Analog6
14-05-2009, 7:40am
OK, I am a total ignoramus at this. I currently have an old no frills Nokia on a Telstra prepaid plan. A few questions, any answers / advice gratefully received.

Can I use an i-phone with my prepaid number?
Do they take SIM cards in the normal way?
Can I use any i-phone (I notice some on ebay say G3 network), does this mean you have to be signed up to that network?
Does it cost every time you use a service like photocalc, ozweather etc?

Are these programs available for other phones of similar type?

I'll no doubt think of lots more things to ask but that will do to be going on with.

kiwi
14-05-2009, 7:43am
Can I use an i-phone with my prepaid number?
>> yes, BUT, you would prob need to buy the phone outright ($1000ish) rather than go on a cap plan, eg $49 pm from Optus)

Do they take SIM cards in the normal way?
>> Yes

Can I use any i-phone (I notice some on ebay say G3 network), does this mean you have to be signed up to that network?

>> 3G, and yes

Does it cost every time you use a service like photocalc, ozweather etc?

>> free to use, maybe free or cost a couple of dollars to buy up front

Are these programs available for other phones of similar type?

>> yes, some (perhaps even most) are available on other smartphones too

ricktas
14-05-2009, 8:19am
to add to Kiwi's post. Odille. Some applications are free, some cost a few dollars. You can buy them straight from your iPhone, or via iTunes.

No it doesn't cost everytime you use an Application like photocalc (its just as small program). Usage costs - depends on your service provider, but its included as part of your phone bill, some providers give you some data usage in your standard bill.

You can also access wifi on your iPhone, and if you do it that way, costs are minimal or nil.

If 3g is not available in your area, the phone will still work (as long as you have mobile phone network access) but if you access data etc, it will be slower.

pgbphotographytas
14-05-2009, 8:49am
Also if you go with Telstra you will need to get a new Next-G sim card to put in the phone, Telstra so do this for you for free if you ask.

Paul

Jez
14-05-2009, 10:31am
i have handi 40 which is a the canon 40d's manual put into an app. good for on the go without having to carry your manual. photocalc is also a great app.

Jez.

Bax
14-05-2009, 11:07am
I just sent mine back to get repaired so I'm redoing my app list.

At the moment it's bare minimums.
Facebook
BOMRader
CommBank
eBay
Flight Control
fring (msn)
Holdem (texas holdem, best poker app)
iFitness
Phone Useage
Remote
QuickVoice
Translator
Units (very handy)
WiiFinder (very handy)
Wikiamo
WordBook (dictionary)
World Wiki
Around Me

I had lots more but I've given up, getting some more now.

Bear Dale
14-05-2009, 2:13pm
Wife and I both have iPhones. First Apple products I've ever owned and think they are the bees knees!

If you have a stereo system or two, shout yourself one (or more) Apple AirPort Express's and using the Remote app control your music from the iPhone. Totally awesome!

rappleby
14-05-2009, 2:48pm
I have an iPod Touch and use the following apps:

- Bokeh (Free, similar to PhotoCalc but no where as many features)
- Files Lite (Copy all my PDF manuals and Magazines to read if there is time to kill)
- Flashlight
- iHandy Level
- iFighter (Awesome 1942 style shooter!)
- BubbleWrap (Addictive time waster)

I also put tons of Photography podcasts on there to help me out with certain topics/scenarios or when I get stuck on something. I have been listening to Martin Bailey lately.

Rob

Analog6
15-05-2009, 4:44am
Thanks everyone, that is all very helpful. I may look out for ione on eBay. I did realise I would have tobuy outright and there are some used ones ont here (I daresay people have updated to a later model) for reasonable costs.

ricktas
15-05-2009, 7:16am
Thanks everyone, that is all very helpful. I may look out for ione on eBay. I did realise I would have tobuy outright and there are some used ones ont here (I daresay people have updated to a later model) for reasonable costs.

There are only 2 models so far, new model is due middle of this year. The initial model was not officially available in Aus, though there were a lot here. This model was not 3G. The second model was released in Aus, and is the current model, but it comes in two versions 8GB and 16GB.

I reckon if you wait a month or two, there will be a lot of movement on Ebay etc as people sell off the current model, when they upgrade when the new model comes out.

DanNG
15-05-2009, 10:56pm
itunes remote is my favorite app at the moment, great having access to your complete mp3 library with album art.. and playing music wirelessly to the stereo.

BigEyedBeans
15-05-2009, 11:28pm
I use Remote on my iPod touch as well. Absolutely love it!

Terryw
16-05-2009, 12:08am
yes, but does anyone actually use it as a phone to actually talk to people? Is there an ap for that:) seriously I'm up for a new phone but it has to be a phone first and foremost. So how is it?

tonykieuphotography
16-05-2009, 12:37am
new iphones are on their ways, don't buy one now people, apple is trying to empty their stock ;)

Analog6
16-05-2009, 6:43am
yes, but does anyone actually use it as a phone to actually talk to people? Is there an ap for that:) seriously I'm up for a new phone but it has to be a phone first and foremost. So how is it?

LOL!

I was looking at some 8Gb ones, Rick, but I may wait a month or two and see if there is a downward movement in prices. I'm not in any hurry.

kiwi
16-05-2009, 7:28am
I use it as a phone without complaint :)

However, to me the phone function is not the be all and end all, if it were I'd just buy a mobile phone, not a smartphone

ricktas
16-05-2009, 9:54am

Really easy to use. Push phone icon, access virtual keyboard (numbers are big for people with bigger fingers), recent calls, access voicemail, contact list, and favourites, each are one tap away.

Contact list has an alphabet down the right, tap the letter you want to find the person you want, or flick up or down to scroll through contacts.

When you put the phone up to your face a proximity sensor detects that, and turns the touch feature off, so you don't start tapping things with your ear etc.

Really easy to use, took me about 5 mins to understand how it works. Synchronises with outlook (through iTunes), so you can easily import all your contacts and events (diary).

texting is clever, the touch screen keyboard is programmed so that the software 'looks' at the keys around those you pressed (in case you mis a letter) to work out what the word you wanted was. Work very well compared to using a predictive text sms on a keypad.

Bear Dale
16-05-2009, 7:04pm
seriously I'm up for a new phone but it has to be a phone first and foremost. So how is it?

IMHO......Its the ULTIMATE mobile phone that is set to get even better with firmware release 3.0 soon.

Analog6
17-05-2009, 7:13am
How big are the letters on screen? ATM I have to put my reading glasses on to read the screen on my phone - this is incredibly annoying when I want to make a quick call. It would not put me off from buying an iPhone but sure would be nice if I could read the screen without the specs.

ricktas
17-05-2009, 7:43am
How big are the letters on screen? ATM I have to put my reading glasses on to read the screen on my phone - this is incredibly annoying when I want to make a quick call. It would not put me off from buying an iPhone but sure would be nice if I could read the screen without the specs.

I just held my iPhone up to my laptop keypad, to compare the size of the buttons, and the 'buttons' on the iPhone are only a little smaller than the laptop keypad (my laptop has a full size keyboard)

I @ M
18-05-2009, 4:22pm
Sorry Nikon + iphone owners :o , Canon + iphone owners can have their own camera friendly remote control app (http://www.ononesoftware.com/blog/2009/05/15/iphone-app-from-onone/#more-1572) soon.

Analog6
18-05-2009, 5:18pm
That's ot. I a, going to have one. Anyone here planning to upgrade theirs when the new one comes out and wants to seel their old one?

ehor
18-05-2009, 5:48pm
Here's another two apps you might enjoy.
Panorama
Tiltshift - only got this the other day so haven't really used it yet.

I took this with the Pano app, not the best quality but sometimes you just wanna enjoy the game and leave the DSLR at home :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3651/3405331571_f241323658_b.jpg

Analog6
21-06-2009, 11:47am
Reviving this because I am looking at a couple on eBay now. What is the IMEI number? Why do aso many people quote it in their ads?

ricktas
21-06-2009, 12:15pm
It is like a serial number Odille. If you have a mobile phone stolen, the networks (telstra etc) can block the IMEI, and the phone will not work on that network. Effectively making it completely useless as a phone. The IMEI is not exclusive to the iPhone, all mobile phones have one, each being unique.

milspec
21-06-2009, 1:39pm
new iphones are on their ways, don't buy one now people, apple is trying to empty their stock ;)

I read that the States would sell them for $99 US !

milspec
21-06-2009, 1:40pm
Reviving this because I am looking at a couple on eBay now. What is the IMEI number? Why do aso many people quote it in their ads?

I think it's to prove it isn't stolen

phild
21-06-2009, 2:31pm
I wish you gadget freaks would stop it, you're making me edgy :action53: , I don't need one but they sound like a nice toy. Then again it wouldn't hurt to take a peek at Telstra & Optus plans....

ricktas
21-06-2009, 2:36pm

The only issue with that approach is that you would never buy one (same as camera's). There is always going to be another model released, with more features etc. At some point you have to buy one, the difference between the iPhone 3G and the 3G s, is small. I say if you want to buy one, do it when you want to. Cause waiting for the latest and greatest model is a never ending loop.