PDA

View Full Version : Think ! (about your photo)

Kym
13-05-2009, 10:15am
Due to a discussion elsewhere I've been reminded of IBM's Thomas Watson's famous THINK motto.

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/multimedia/fulldescriptions/think.html
"Thought," he says, "has been the father of every advance since time began. 'I didn't think' has cost the world millions of dollars."

So with digital photography do we just shoot away or do we think first?
How many times do we mess up a photo because we didn't engage our brain first?

Do you have a plan when you go out? Please suggest more!

Before you leave check list
- Camera
- Charged batteries
- Memory card(s)
- Right lenses
- Tripod, flash and filters
- Reflectors
- Bulb release cable or remote
- Other gear (eg. chargers, garbags to kneel on or use as rain protection etc.)

Before you start shooting check list
- ISO
- Shooting mode (single, continuous, timer)
- Other menu settings
- M, Av, Tv etc
- Manual or Auto Focus

Each shot check list
- Focus
- Composition (rule of thirds, lines and angles)
- Light and reflections
- Flash
- Exposure (+/- Ev)

Safety
- Don't step backwards without looking first
- Be aware of you surroundings
- Be careful in the bush (snakes, spiders, bees etc.)

ricktas
13-05-2009, 10:21am
I also consider what I want to shoot. If its landscapes, I will tend to plan my shoot around time of day. I think about what filters I might/will use, where the sun will be, maybe what the tide is doing if I am going to the waters edge etc.

I think about how I want the final photo to look, what I want in the scene, and what I don't. I also try and arrive early, so I have time to scout around for the best view, and can take my time setting up etc.

Nic076
13-05-2009, 10:31am
I usually think about my shots - certainly more than when I first started anyway :). In saying that a lot of photos I am happy with, I have not had the kids with me so there is something in having the time to think and compose a shot. That is why I value the AP meets so very much.

Could I do more thinking & planning - absolutely :D

atky
13-05-2009, 10:40am
Motorsport photography tends to be spontaneous as you shoot as it happens.
But a plan is needed to get good spontaneous shots you need to plan for the look you want to achieve and plan the location you need to be in to get the spontaneous shot.
The only problem with a plan is you must be flexible enough to change it as you go, so is it a plan if it changes as you go yes it is, dos this mean you think about your photo yes but you need to do more than think you need to PLAN.

kiwi
13-05-2009, 10:46am
My only plan for sport photography is who the client is that day and what they want

Jules
13-05-2009, 10:46am
I think about most of my shots, but then I concentrate on landscapes, macro and still life which means I can take my time setting up shots, trying different framing, experimenting with DOF etc. I rarely do any action/sports/wildlife shots where (I imagine) you have to react faster and have less time to think.

kiwi
13-05-2009, 10:51am
Not thinking is perfect for us sport togs

CAP
13-05-2009, 10:55am
Depends on the situation, in my case.
I pretty much have, "before you leave and start shooting" covered but for the last two items I am found wanting on occasions.
Esspecially noticable when out taking the MTB pics. (MTB = mountain bike)
There are times when once going to the trouble of initial settings I keep shooting away for some ordinary "at best" results, not realising the changing light conditions etc.
Having said that I am getting more aware in recent times and yield has improved.
If time is available I will review each pic as it's reeled off, but this is not often possible when there is a lot of riders on the hill.
As far as the safety aspect goes, I am forever going **** over, tripping over branches, rocks etc when out in the bush / up on the track. There was a time I kicked a frilled neck lizard in the head while rushing to get a better position to shoot from. He/she wasn't happy and needless to say scared the crap out of me.
Come to think of it, "it wouldn't be sport's photography if it wasn't sport would it?"
Once I tote a tripod along for macro, landscape etc photos, an automatic -
"take some time to think about what I'm doing function" kicks in and I the decision making process is somewhat more structured.

Kym
13-05-2009, 10:56am
Motorsport photography tends to be spontaneous as you shoot as it happens.
But a plan is needed to get good spontaneous shots you need to plan for the look you want to achieve and plan the location you need to be in to get the spontaneous shot.
The only problem with a plan is you must be flexible enough to change it as you go, so is it a plan if it changes as you go yes it is, does this mean you think about your photo yes but you need to do more than think you need to PLAN.

Good point.
But you do have your camera setup ready to go, eg. ISO, Shooting mode, Av or Tv, Right lens, Manual or AF, etc. That does not mean your not flexible.

kiwi
13-05-2009, 11:13am
I dont, I'd like to assess the environment at the time rather than prejudge - that's just a recipe for complacency

I do make sure I have all the equipment I need, but, I always do all the settings in situ.

mcdesign
13-05-2009, 11:14am
I usually go out to shoot a particular thing so have lenses etc ready, BUT things can change in an instant and you have to be ready for that too...I still make a lot of boo boos and am never satisfied!

Nanny
13-05-2009, 11:28am
I need to think more I must admit I use auto settings alot.

Lani
13-05-2009, 11:40am
I shoot more people, animals etc....so a fair bit of planning goes into what I want to capture from them, such as the personality and behaviours and how I am going to relate to them to try and bring it out, have the right gear to get it.
Animals...treats, water available, calm environment, have them be bathed and exercised before hand. etc.
People... sort of the same. :D :D :D :D

Then, you do a wedding and all the planning under the sun doesn't stop you having to adapt quickly to circumstances changing fast.

Having said that, sometimes it's just fun to go out and shoot spontaneously and see what happens. ;)

Miaow
13-05-2009, 11:52am
I do try to think about shots - especially ISO and depth - sometimes I realise after I've taken shots I could have done better settings :) I probably need to think more lol

arthurking83
13-05-2009, 12:57pm
I'm with Rick, and usually to an extreme level.

I think I think too much.
I know what I want(from a scene) or have thought of a particular way to capture it, and if the light is not as I wanted it to be, I don't bother, even though the light may be OK.

I think I need to plan, and/or expect just a little less from a place, and just try to get more out of what's there when I get there.

Other issues I have is which way did I just come from, and which way do I want to go back(I usually vary it just for the sake of variety). I know what's back there and there's definitely a scene to capture at a particular time of day, but I think about the unknown alternatives in coming home a different way.
Usually I'll regret it, although occasionally it works out too.

planning is good, and helps to get the best outcome out of a spot, but being overly fussy sometimes is a drawback too.

That's landscapes.. all other forms of photography I just spray and pray :D

pgbphotographytas
13-05-2009, 1:05pm
I am very guilty of not thinking enough about what I am taking rather just snapping away but the advice above is good and I will be keeping it in mind for the future.

Paul

arthurking83
13-05-2009, 1:57pm
Do you use (or find you have any) 'down time' whilst out taking photos?

I'll define 'down time' as the time between when the light is not really any good for capturing good photos. that could be between breaks in the cloud, rain, say between 11 and 2PM or whatever.

eg. If you're out trying to capture some crepuscular rays, and the clouds are not playing the game for a little while, say half an hour or so, where it gets completely overcast and dull, but I can see that they'll produce their best once again very soon.. what would do you do?
Plan another scene, look around your current location for other interesting things to photograph, stand on the roof of your car scouting for other interesting location/subject matter(my car has lots of dents on the roof, and I really need a roof rack :p).

generally I'll scout around for a new location or have a quick break, firing off a few frames via remote control from the comfort of my vehicle rolling a ciggy :D(whilst the camera is out in the gale force winds).
Even while it's not conducive to great photography you can still reframe a scene and shoot it as a test to see how it looks as a scene. You don;t necessarily need to keep those images, as they may only be test shots to see if the scene comes out as you expected. Zoom in, zoom out, change direction by a degree or so.. etc

I try to 'predict' the conditions about to unfold and try to place myself in a reasonable location to make best use of them, or a higher location to get a birdseye perspective or whatever, the point is to try maintaining a dynamic approach even though the time isn't perfect for capturing the image at that moment.

Slide
13-05-2009, 5:38pm
I'm guilty of not scouting my frame before I shoot, resulting in me often including elements that ruin the shot, so I definitely need to slow down and think more.

MarkW
13-05-2009, 7:11pm
I think about almost every technical aspect of the shot then forget to look at whats in the frame which might ruin the shot.

Oh well - with time comes patience - I just wish it would hurry up :D

bigbikes
13-05-2009, 8:29pm
Because I take a lot of sports (Basketball ) shots and have probably been inside most of our stadiums in and around Victoria, I tend not to think about taking my shots. What I do have to think about is making sure that I have the correct setting in the camera before the game starts. I also get to games early so I can check the lighting, taking test shots before the game and sometime having to get permission to have access to parts of the courts as to were I want to be positioned.
With landscapes I like to put a lot more time into them and really think about what I want in my shot, also the time of day, lighting etc etc.
But I guess I should spend more time thinking about what I'm going to shoot and how.

BJI
13-05-2009, 9:06pm
I think a fair bit about shots and then often realise afterwards all the things I didn't consider and should have! Having to decide on and set up shots in a hurry I find is a recipe for disaster more often than not. THis tends to indicate a need to be more familiar with hte camera controls.

Analog6
14-05-2009, 6:19am
I tend to do most of this just by habit. I've been taking ophotographs for about 45 years now (no, not continuously) and I adjust for what I am going to shoot, eg early morning, surfing, landscapes etc.

I always set the cameras to Tv 1/125 when I put them away as this is my 'grab setting' and usually enables a snap shot under most conds incl flash if something arises.

If I've done a fair bit of shooting the batteries go stra\sight to the charger when I get home, as I download.

TOM
14-05-2009, 8:02am
there is always preperation involved however alot of the time it is just habit. i shoot mostly film so thinking about condition in advance is neccessary when loading a roll of film. as for the shot by shot, it depends on the camera being used. a compact camera can be spontaneous, where a camera like a Hasselblad will require a slower process, almost forcing you to think more.

Seesee
14-05-2009, 12:41pm
The only prior thinking I do is selecting which lens etc I want for the day, I generally dont take a huge amount each day anymore, select a couple of lenses etc and make do with that.

I select camera settings on site as conditions and lighting often vary from shot to shot, all one needs do is turn around slightly and the camera needs a new setting, I can honestly say after a couple of years now of taking pix it almost comes instinctively now.

I often use the old movie makers tool, that being your hands, if I'm not certain on a composition, or what may look good as a snippet of a scene, I simply form a square using the fingers on both hands, to simulate the final image size...helps me a lot.:) { small bit opf cardboard with a cut out window kept in ones bag is a good idea for me too...when I remember to put it in the bag

I keep things as simple as possible, because like when I played golf for a couple of years, I played OK until I read books on how to do it and then my game fell to pieces...a common dilemma for many it seems. Getting up to the golf tee, or photographic location with a hundred things running through your mind at the last minute too often leads to confusion and missed shot, both in golf and photoghraphy. I see so many people get out to take a pictur, deliberating over this and that and bungle the shot, playing around with copious quantities of camera menus and controls needs to be done at home, not on site...K.I.S.S. method is my aim.

ving
14-05-2009, 12:57pm
before i go out i have set in my mind what sort of photo i am going to take and pack and dress accordingly.

-birding: i take the long lens and flash only, i dress in clothes i dont mind getting dirty. set camera to either AV or manual, aperture to f8 and if manual SS to 1/200.
-landscape: take what ever lens i think is appropriate for the shot i want to take, 99% of the time its just the kit lens but i take my small camera bag with nifty 50 and flash too just in case as well as tripod and if i remember remote too. i take auto iso off if its on and do the rest of the setting on the fly depending on what i want.

earthairfire
14-05-2009, 1:17pm
I always think about what gear to take, making sure my kit is ready to go (batteries, flash cards etc etc). I don't like lugging all my gear around if I don't have to. I'll always 'plan' my aim for the shoot also, but that said, I could take a sketch and notes of what I want to create, if doing a shoot where I want a particular image, or alternately, my plan could be as simple as what lenses do I need, and where / when do I need to be there...

I always set up my camera in situ, as I never know what settings I need unless I'm in a studio I'm familiar with. As soon as lighting is a variable, I don't see how you can plan for it.

Tim

Kym
17-05-2009, 9:32am
In summary ...

1. There is a difference between planning for the outing and thinking as you takes a shot

2. There is an important role for 'instinctive'

3. Experience allows the thinking process to get easier
(a bit like driving a car - you focus on where you are going more than how to get there (gears, accelerator, brakes etc))

4. Thinking about the results (composition, lines, exposure etc) is more important than the specific camera settings

TOM
17-05-2009, 9:35am
4. Thinking about the results (composition, lines, exposure etc) is more important than the specific camera settings

There is a great book by Ansel Adams called 'The Negative'. Adams talks alot about visualisation in this book which is what I think you are referring to here in point 4.

David
17-05-2009, 10:25am
I try to have an alternative site or another option in mind when I leave home.

Researching a site by googling it and looking at other peoples images also gives some ideas about how to shoot the site and the conditions, location, safety issues etc. and I try to do the same amount of research on a nearby place so i have an alternative if the conditions dont suit my first planned site.

You might have checked out things for seascapes for example and found that the low tide matches up with sunrise and think, ok, tomorrow Im going to do seascape sunrise images and use the rocks and sand and low tide water to catch reflections of light and compose an interesting foreground and.... off you go, 4am, and its raining, teaming down...for an hour either side of sunrise and youve travelled 100KS to get there and.. nada. no result.

Happened to me a few times so now I look for alternative things to do when the weather conditions dont suit what I want and research an alternative site for shooting if the seascape bombs out. For example, a planned trip to the Sunshine Coast to do seascape sunrises failed so I went to Buderim Falls instead after dawn and the cloudy weather conditions suited the rainforest alternative.
'
That means carting more lenses and filters and so on with you but the trip isnt wasted. The other thing Ive learnt is that if the conditions are absolute garbage for the day you are there you can use the time and place to scout for future photo shoots. I did that at the Glasshouse Mountains in QLD one day when it was pouring rain and awfully dark sky an blahhh conditions. Located some unique places to compose images of Mt Tibrogargan and took a couple of 'test' shots and kept them on my computer and when the conditions were right went back there and shot the scene again, much better.

on SAFETY I say hunt in pairs,.....many times Ive been alone in a rainforest or bushland somewhere out in the middle of nowhere and come a cropper and put myself at risk with falls etc. but there are also weirdos out there who can freak you out if you are alone.

One time at the end of Nudgee Road I go the feeling i should not be there when 2 men came out of a van at 4am asking me *** I was doing there with a camera; needless to say Boondall Wetlands didnt get a gurnsey that day and David NEVER went there again alone. Another time I was walking down the track to Purlingbrook Waterhole alone at 5am and a bloke comes by the other way with a rifle slung over his shoulder, says Gday as he wanders past with a smile, and left me A. Wondering.. what the.... and B. Extremely paranoid for a good hour.

So yeah, dont go alone unless you absolutely have to and have an alternative shooting site option in mind and if your going bush TELL SOMEONE WHERE YOU ARE GOING. :)..seems so basic but how often do we forget/neglect to do that one ?

Cheers

David.

41jas
05-06-2009, 8:16am
I find myself thinking more about that more and more. I suppose it's the experience of shooting lots and looking and learning with what you have already taken and taking in and remembering for the next time.

Dylan & Marianne
05-06-2009, 9:06am
I usually try to consider hard what I want to shoot, what angle and what time of day /lighting.
Especially when going overseas to locations you're not likely to return to, I find I type in some key words in flickr , deviantart and smugmug , look for some images that I like and I often contact the people who took them about how to get to those locations etc.
I try to take nearly all of my shots on a tripod for a few reasons:
- forces me to compose more than I would if I just stood in awe and snapped away
- allows me the option of taking bracketed shots at many differenct exposures and manually too
- removes the limitation of shutter speed and aperture that would otherwise limit and handheld shot in situations.

despite this, I've still made so many errors - forgetting cable releases, forgetting I put filters in the wrong bag etc etc .....even once forgot the CF card was still in the PC .....

old dog
05-06-2009, 9:16am
not trying to fill any pockets with liquids but I am definitely thinking more about what I am doing after being here on this site. A wealth of information abounds herein. I quite often take only one lens (on the camera) and see what and how I can shoot with it. I think I was a bit spoiled with the pana fz30 (except for iso performance and EVF). So thanks guys again for your help.

Redgum
02-09-2009, 11:53pm
Horses for courses. I've now adopted the US Marine motto "Shoot and ask questions later". The nature of my work dictates that. Animals/remote travel really don't allow an alternative and with a cammy that can shoot 7fps up to 100 continuous shots I've got to strike it lucky, and usually do. Same applies with photojournalism, particularly news.
The only way I'd get setup for wild animals is when they're asleep and anyone can do that.
The organising comes in at the front end and it needs to be simple. Two camera bodies, two lens, four batteries and two polarisers. Set ISO and shutter speed and wait. Oh! and organise transport a week ahead.

Luna-blu
07-09-2009, 8:17am
I like to think my shots through, but it can be frustrating working with people,

a little to the left - no a little to the left - just a little to the left,
(sigh) alright back to the right.

Then they have the nerve to get the irrits and walk away muttering words that are most uncomplimentary!!

Allann
07-09-2009, 9:57am
I found that when I first started I used the spray and pray technique to shooting and though it gave me a few shots that "worked" each time I went out, I found I spent considerable time throwing away shots with very poor keep/junk ratios. I watched a podcast a few months back that made me take a step back and changed "the way" I looked at photography which has taken me to the next stage in my photo "career" (and i use that term very loosely).

Basically, I ask myself two questions now before I take a picture, and believe me when I say, this is REALLY hard;

Why am I taking this shot?
What story do I want to tell my audience with the shot?

I have a basic understanding of the technical aspects of taking a shot, but I wish I had been asking these questions from the beginning because I feel my photographs have been taking a different direction and "improving" since I started doing this.

I had to step back, and say to myself, "Why have I taken all these photos, if I am storing them on the HD and never going back to look at them, or print them, and in MANY cases never showing anyone"? And to me this was a very valid point as I have 10s of thousands of shots sittong on HDs and many will probably never see the light of day. And if I can't use them, why have them (generally speaking).

Don't get me wrong, the technical workflow required to take a photo is still if the back of my mind but as has already been mentioned, it starts to become second nature, instinctive, and even happens sometimes without active thought.

Redgum
07-09-2009, 10:57am
Your workflow is determined by genre. Those working in the studio/weddings or any formalised setup will pay more attention to setup, scripting, planning and outcome. Photojournalism is all about opportunity, people, animals, situations where the difference between a great shot and everything else is but an unscripted moment in time.
Leopards are hard to spot in Africa and to see one in the open spans a time frame of 10/20 seconds. A snapshot of a VIP smiling/grimacing can be one in a million. You can't prepare for that moment to any great degree other than pre set your cammy for the location and when the opportunity arises press the trigger (and hold it down).
This is probably why so many "cover" shots are now lifted from HD video, 25fps. 1920 x 1080 resolution and 1500 shots per minute. How the tables are turning.
From a commercial perspective there is little return for one good shot. Look at the high quality of work on this website and look what that's returned. Sorry, I guess I've just defined the difference between a hobbyist and a professional. Both have a very legitimate place in the art. One for pleasure, the other for profit. Sometimes you cross that line. I guess that's the topic. We shoot differently purely to achieve an outcome.

Kym
07-09-2009, 12:23pm
Redgum you make some great points.
This was purely opportunistic - http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=17503 but happened on a meet where I was thinking a lot about what I was doing.
I guess have your camera 'ready' (mode, ISO etc.) is pre-planning and then it depends on the Genre as you say.

Jules
08-09-2009, 11:33am
...Basically, I ask myself two questions now before I take a picture, and believe me when I say, this is REALLY hard;

Why am I taking this shot?
What story do I want to tell my audience with the shot?...

Allan this is brilliant in its simplicity.

Photos you have taken yourself will be viewed in light of your own experiences, memories and the knowledge of the intentions with which you shot the image in the first place. Other people won't necessarily interpret the image the same way you do and the message you wanted to convey may be lost. Simply considering the audience before you take the photo could make all the difference.

Allann
08-09-2009, 1:11pm
Allan this is brilliant in its simplicity.

Photos you have taken yourself will be viewed in light of your own experiences, memories and the knowledge of the intentions with which you shot the image in the first place. Other people won't necessarily interpret the image the same way you do and the message you wanted to convey may be lost. Simply considering the audience before you take the photo could make all the difference.

Thanks, you got it. And that is the difference I think between getting a good shot and a great shot. Once you understand the basics of composition (e.g. 1/3 rule, 80:20 rule, etc) this should be in the forefront of your mind as you shoot.
It's true some styles use the machine gun approach to good effect but I'm sure that when the shutter is pressed, knowing why your taking the shots will still help. If you wAnt to sell those pics to a magazine, I'm fairly sure you considering their requirements.

Tannin
02-10-2009, 12:50pm
I have bit of a problem with this question. First, the possible answers are non-exclusive. Yes, I usually think my shots through. Yes, I need to think more. Which one do I vote for? Both are true.

Second, Ithink there is a hidden current flowing through here: an assumption that thinking and dedication to quality results has to do with not taking bad shots. In film days, when your number of shots was strictly limited, it was very important not to take any bad ones. But with modern equipment, the number of shots you can take is more-or-less unlimited, and the best strategy for producing quality work has shifted from the negative (avoid bad shots) to the positive (take good shots).

The number of bad shots you take today is irrelevant! (Except from the point of view of the amount of time you can afford to spend sorting and discarding.)

Don't ask "is there a chance something could go wrong with this shot, should I take it?" Ask "is there a chance everything could go right with this shot? If yes, then don't stand there thinking, take the damn shot!"

Of course, this all depends on the circumstances. It's very obviously true with sport/action/wildlife/event photography, where the only thing you can absolutely guarantee is that if you don't press the shutter at the significant moment (cutting the cake, breasting the tape, striking the prey) you won't get the shot. On first sight, something like landscape photography is very different. You have any amount of time to think everything through. No you don't! Light can change constantly, and quite often, even with landscapes, there are many, many times when you really do need to seize the moment.

Seize the moment without thinking? Hell no - you still think, but the sun is about to go behind a cloud, you better think fast!

michaelclements
02-10-2009, 3:24pm
Of course, there is a subjective amount of thinking, but again as others have mentioned it is entirely relative to the type of shooting taking place.
If I am shooting documentary or photojournalism, stills and video, I am more watching rather than thinking, the decision has been made to be in a certain place at a certain time, the only thought that counts to me in this circumstance is how best to portray the story through framing, all the other stuff like apertures, shutter speed, flash etc etc, should be second nature. It is the observing that is paramount in this situation (personally speaking) and consideration for those viewing the end results and empathy towards the subject matter.
On the other hand, I think a great deal about technical stuff, conceptual application of it, what if I was to shoot a model this way or shoot her that way, absolutely, I'd be a fool not to think about it. But these are very different circumstances.

oldfart
30-10-2009, 8:51am
My photography mentor once described my shoots as spray and pray.
These days I shoot a lot fewer frames and think a lot more.

Processing 1000-1200 frames from a shoot and shooting a few times a week soon cures you of just shooting from the Hip.

Redgum
30-10-2009, 10:19am
Good one Old Fart. That's got more to do with old age than any technical issue. I know. :D

Astroman
09-11-2009, 7:40pm
I need to think more, because I have already voted on this poll but don't actually remember doing it. Whats even worse, I cannot remember what I voted on LOL! But I would have voted on thinking more, some shots I do tend to rush, without thinking, ruining perfect shots because of poor setting choice etc...

Darchangel
20-03-2010, 11:08am
One of my all time favourite books on photography is David duChemin's "Within the Frame". Basically, gear and technical knowledge is mandatory but figuring out what you want to say with a photo is the key to beautiful photos that transcend technicalities and perfect composition. Highly recommended reading.

Having just bought a new camera, I'm current concentrating on memorizing where everything is so that it's second nature and I don't have to remove my eye from the viewfinder. That way I can concentrate on what and why I'm photographing rather than how.

The other thing I've found greatly helpful is taking notes when I review the photos during processing. I don't lose sleep over missed or poorly exposed photos, but I do take notes on how I can improve and carry the note book with me when I shoot. That way I'm constantly making new mistakes and avoiding remaking old ones ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilky
24-03-2010, 10:39pm
Hmmm mostly don't think about it at all. I just take camera virtually every where I go. I find shots usually come to me, as in I very rarely go looking for things to photograph but I am always looking for things to photograph......hmmmm I think that makes sense.

Gremlin
03-09-2010, 10:57pm
I think about which action figure I havent shot yet, does it make me giggle the shot, yes, what am I doing this for, fun, will I one day get out and shoot real people doing similar things, perhaps,
so do I think about my shots that Im brave enough to post here, quite possibly!
Although thinking is something I prefer not to have anyone accuse me of, next thing some will call me a grown up ;)

watermelon
13-01-2011, 10:07pm
I don't think or plan nearly as often. Started carrying my camera around everywhere though, so that's a start :D

PH005
18-01-2011, 9:35pm
Good topic Kym that has had a revival.
I try to be ready and have everything in its place. I think that patients is a good virtue for a photographer. I have had my new Sigma 10-20 for about a month now and ony taken about a dozen " test shots " with it. I know the exact place , ( seascape ) that I want to capture and am waiting for the weather to brighten up and for the right tide. When I do set off to capture it I will have all the gear that I think I will need to get the result that I can picture in my mind.

41jas
25-01-2011, 11:27am
Good topic Kym that has had a revival.
I try to be ready and have everything in its place. I think that patients is a good virtue for a photographer. I have had my new Sigma 10-20 for about a month now and ony taken about a dozen " test shots " with it. I know the exact place , ( seascape ) that I want to capture and am waiting for the weather to brighten up and for the right tide. When I do set off to capture it I will have all the gear that I think I will need to get the result that I can picture in my mind.

I'll come with you.

peterrad
04-02-2011, 2:31pm
As I learn more and more, I think more and more. although i do atleast once aweek go....... *%#$ ..... wish I had my camera. but I must say I have only once not had a charged battery.

Namus
04-02-2011, 5:26pm
Great list - for some reason the thing which I forget the most is the ISO setting; need to learn to take a breath and make sure everything is set properly before shooting

Not sure if you can add this to the list, but legalities/rights....?

Jaded62
04-02-2011, 6:54pm
I think about the gear I need and I plan my shots (landscapes) but I can get lazy after a long walk or rush my shots when other people are around.......... and I always regret it afterwards in post processing.

Ms Monny
07-05-2011, 1:24pm
After the subject from Kiwi today regarding getting the basics right first....I thought this might be a good opportunity to get this thread up there for a few newbies to read (bored at work - everyone enjoying the sunshine and not buying! - and was looking at old threads!!).

Very interesting stuff!

Do I think about what I am shooting? Yes, I do - being a newbie I am constantly thinking of my aperature, ISO and speed as well as the composition etc. One thing I liked, that was said on here by Allan was this...

'Basically, I ask myself two questions now before I take a picture, and believe me when I say, this is REALLY hard;

1.Why am I taking this shot?
2.What story do I want to tell my audience with the shot?'

How true!! Sometimes I see something and think what a good photo that would be BUT then I think why?? Do I just like the colours or is there something that does say something? I think more have to think about this (depending on the style of photography).

Geoff79
27-09-2011, 12:02am
Like someone said above, since being on this forum (and just as a natural progression through the years, getting more and more into photography) I do tend to think more about my shots. Certainly more than I did this time last year. And there's still a long way to go and things to factor in. But I'm the type of clown who always has a billion things on my mind, ranging from completely insignificant things to pretty insignificant things, and some of my common lapses in thinking result in the following:

- Just over a month ago I decided to go out and shoot some waterfalls/streams in the national park about 40mins from home. I get there in a flurry of excitement, get out the car and WHOOSHKA! I'd actually left my tripod at home. Of all the things to foget with such photos in mind. Anyway, that cost me $120 as I went to the "local" Harvey Norman and just bought a new tripod instead of going home. Not an entirely bad thing because I severely needed an upgrade and if I wasn't married I'd consider marrying my new tripod because of how awesome it is.

- The bloody screw on Gradual ND filters. The amount of times I've had the dark half set for landscape shots and taken a portrait shot, and vice versa... you'd think a brother would learn. Maybe one day, but still not there yet.

- The couple of times in my life I have tried my hand at Manual Focus. Each time so far I have left it on MF and switched the camera off, only to find when I'm halfway through taking exciting shots later on, that I wonder why there's no beeping and the boxes aren't focusing on anything. I know it sounds inconceivable, but that's me. As recently as 2 weeks ago I did this. Unbelievable.

- In the Av mode I often am in the middle of shooting landscapes when I see a nice flower or rock or animal and set my aperture down to 3.5 or the like, then get re-focused and return to shooting landscapes, only to find out later that I left the aperture on 3.5.

But I think I am getting better, I hope. Sadly, the times when I make the silliest mistakes are during moments like sunrises when I only have a tiny window of opportunity anyway. But I think it's because of the short window of time that I get a bit hurried and don't always think everything through sensibly. Right when I'd like to be at my sharpest. :(

William
30-09-2011, 2:00pm
For a Sunrise shoot , I always set my camera up the night before , All settings checked and filters fitted(Can't be bothered mucking around in the dark) , I now know what settings to start with , All I have to do is start shooting ;)

Kerrie
19-05-2012, 8:15am
Sometimes. I also experiment with ' I might try this and see what I get ' . Being new my thinking is still limited due to lack of knowledge, and just doing is a great learning tool.

Of course I think of ap,exposure,comp, etc. if I'm planning a certain genre shoot, I set camera before I go too.....but still play around with settings. I also do a lot of ' on the go' stuff, so I don't know what I'm shooting until I see it. I think if I slowed down, set up planned shoots, I would get different results, possibly better too. But spontaneous is ok too.

Always learning.

Allie
19-05-2012, 2:40pm
Thanks for reviving this thread - I had not seen it before. Since being on this site I am thinking more about the shots I take such as levelling the horizon, rule of thirds, position of the light, moving to the right height for the subject, being aware of what else is in the background just to name a few things - I even think about taking the camera with me more often too! I am going to copy what I think are the salient points to me and put it on a laminated card and put it in the camera bag - even if I never look at the card again it will remind me of why I got this camera in the first place.

Kym
20-05-2012, 8:24am
You can't keep a good thread down :)

alsocass
04-02-2013, 3:27pm
A very pertinent thread. I was at a beautiful church on Saturday, followed up by a wedding reception at Belgenny Farm. The sky was gorgeous, and the location was beautiful. My two daughters were dressed in matching outfits, my 3yo even managed to eat a mango sorbet without getting any on her, my husband was in a suit, my dad was in a suit... Perfect everything for an afternoon of photography (well photography interlaced with wine and conversation).

... I took five photos before my camera battery went flat. The other battery was at home on the charger, where I had put it the night before. :(

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: I just saw the dates on these posts. Oops... I guess you can't keep a good thread down!

ROA44
12-04-2014, 2:34pm
That's the only problem with this site too many good posts to try to keep track of and I need to try to find some i've seen. :eek:

bcys1961
16-04-2014, 11:39pm
I need to think about my camera settings and what's in the background.
If I move my ISO or WB off Auto inside somewhere , then a few hours later find I have been shooting for the last hour outside in nice sunshine on ISO4000 and WB Incandescent! :oops::oops:

An I always find something the background I should have removed via a few good steps either way.

bitsnpieces
10-05-2014, 12:09am
I just need to think more... I generally just go in and shoot. The only time I actually think, isn't necessarily to think, it's more so I look, feels right, take it. I look, feels out, make some changes, feels right now, take it. Doesn't mean because it feels right, it's done right, but it's 'I'm getting there' right. :)

I do need to think more nonetheless...