PDA

View Full Version : Cropping for macro shots (and other)

kom123
13-05-2009, 3:03am
I am always fascinated by the quality macro shots I have looked at, in particular those of insects. Not having delved into this yet, I am wondering about how much (if any) cropping is applied to those shots.

Generally speaking, when those shots are taken, is the main subject (eg the insect) taking up most of the viewfinder or is it only taking up a small portion of the viewfinder and the output photo is then cropped just to localise the macro shot? I hope this makes some sense, I'm not sure how to better phrase my question.

With general photography, is cropping mainly done to improve the composition of a photo and are there rules as to what dimensions the cropping be done to? And how does this cropping affect print output (i.e. would you have to physically trim a print because of the crop ratio you have used)?

Sorry for so many newbie questions!

Thanks Scott

old dog
13-05-2009, 9:06am
interesting questions Scott. I am fairly new to macro but just tend to make it up as I go along. If you have 1:1 ratio lens then you should get good size image with lots of detail. I don`t seem to crop much out. Only for framing. Some great shots here I must agree.

MattC
13-05-2009, 10:23am
With my macro shots, some I crop for extra magnification, some just for composition, and some I don't crop at all. It all depends on what I want out of my photo. This is where having a few extra MP can come in handy.

Steadyhands
16-05-2009, 4:17pm
I mostly crop for composition if needed, but like to try to get it right straight out of the camera. The extra pixels are nice so you have the option of cropping if needed.

RuthJ
16-05-2009, 4:59pm
I can't talk about macro...don't do any yet ...but when it comes to cropping general shots, I will crop to improve composition ...I am gradually having to do this less. The aspect ratio of my crop is always chosen in consideration of the final output of the image. If just for web, then pretty much anything goes. If I am planning to have an image printed, then I will choose a standard aspect ratio ( 2:3, 4:5 etc) with the final size in mind that ensures my prints won't be cropped or 'zoomed' or have anything strange done to them by the printer to fit them to standard print sizes.

enduro
17-05-2009, 1:42am
I used to do macro only for a couple of years and can sa like most forms of photography one would only crop to improve grid composition, framing etc. Cameras with larger MP will allow you to crop further to bring up details from your shot but his will not improve things like DOF, poor perspective composition etc.

A general rule is to practice getting it right the first time in camera rather than later.

kom123
17-05-2009, 1:14pm
Thanks for all the replies so far, it's much appreciated helpful info.

ving
17-05-2009, 4:20pm
i dont crop at all... none of mine are cropped :)

get it right in the camera and you dnot need to