PDA

View Full Version : Possible lens damage - please help!

Ang
11-05-2009, 7:47pm
We lent my 450D to my brother-in-law & his wife overnight. Hubby got a phone call today to confess that they had dropped the camera, :eek: while in the camera bag & had broken a lens filter. They replaced the filter & found no other damage, returning the camera to our house before we came home. They were not able to wait for us, as they had to travel 5 hrs home. I was thankful that they'd been honest with us & got a replacement straight away.

We found 2 new lens filters in the camera bag & the previous ones missing off both lenses, so figured both must have broken.

I am worried that if the fall was enough to damage two filters, while in the bag with lens caps on, could there be any possible damage to the lenses, or camera body functionality? The camera appears to be working fine, both lenses zooming in & out, focusing on auto settings.

My question is - is there anything I should be testing out to ensure no further damage was done? I've really only just started learning manual settings, so I don't know what to look for...

I appreciate any advice. ;)

ricktas
11-05-2009, 7:58pm
Take it out and take photos with it. Does it 'sound' normal? Are the lenses Auto-focusing as per normal? Are there any strange sounds at all. Check the photos on your computer, are they in focus? Do all the buttons on the camera work as they should. Does the pop-up flash work?

Basically test everything, even things you don't usually use. It is the only way to give you peace of mind. Generally speaking, your camera is fairly resistant to knocks and bumps so should be fine!

IanB
11-05-2009, 8:12pm
Just use them and see what happens

:)