PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM

whipper_snappa
11-05-2009, 4:52pm
Hey Guys,

Was at harvey norman today, and noticed a big sigma sitting in the cabinet, it was begging me to try it out. Turns out it was the Sigma 120-400. I Loved it, after i asked the salesman to stick it on the 5D i took some shots with it instore. I was very impressed with the quality of the actual lens and very impressed with the speed of the AF. i think i shot at 1/60 F5.6 400mm with ISO400. I'm not sure if OS was on or not, but it was crystal clear.

Just wondering if anyone has actually purchased this lens, if so any pro's or con's with it i should be aware of before i decide to waltz down there and purchase it?

Thanks! :D

pgbphotographytas
11-05-2009, 5:01pm
I have this lens and run it on my 40D, if you want to see some photos with it have a look at my blog http://pgbphotographytas.blogspot.com/ some of the latest skate park ones were taken with it.

Personally I quite like it and have got some good results but I have only had it for about 6 weeks so I have a lot of practice to do with it yet, what do you mainly want to shot with it?

Paul

whipper_snappa
11-05-2009, 5:06pm
Hay Paul.

thanks for your input i played with it for 2 minutes and fell in love with it!

I Mainly shoot motorsport, some other sporting events. Have gone to the skate park a few times but its mainly action and sporting stuff that i enjoy

also, checking out your page now, i wanna see some shots with the lens!

pgbphotographytas
11-05-2009, 7:28pm
Hay Paul.

thanks for your input i played with it for 2 minutes and fell in love with it!

I Mainly shoot motorsport, some other sporting events. Have gone to the skate park a few times but its mainly action and sporting stuff that i enjoy

also, checking out your page now, i wanna see some shots with the lens!

Well based on that I think it will suit you well.
On my page they are down a little bit if you scroll, some are with it and the rest are with the 18-55mm IS.

whipper_snappa
11-05-2009, 8:45pm
yeah sweet as, i checked em out

the lens seems a heaps good asset,

what would you rate it outa 10?

lets say like.

weight /10
sharpness /10
AF speed /10

overall /10

pgbphotographytas
11-05-2009, 10:15pm
yeah sweet as, i checked em out

the lens seems a heaps good asset,

what would you rate it outa 10?

lets say like.

weight /10
sharpness /10
AF speed /10

overall /10

yes it is good value I think.

Weight: I would say 8/10 if 10 is super heavy and 1 is light, it weighs 1.9Kg I think so it has a bit of weight to it, at first my arms would get sore from holding it and the 40D but now I am use to it and use a mono pod it is not such an issue.

Sharpness: I can't really comment on this too much as it is my first "decent" lens, if you step it down to around F8 - F11 it is better the running it wide open.

AF speed: seems to go well on the 40D, with my skate park photos and most of them seem to be in focus and it does focus fairly fast being HSM.

Over all I really like it and I think it is much better value then the Canon 100-400mm.

Paul

whipper_snappa
12-05-2009, 10:27am
ah righto sweet as.

might actually get it, i didnt have much troubles holding it at the shop, and the 5d would be a bit heavier then my d200; but your arms would get sore eventually holding without a monopod.

thanks for your replies paul ;)

I @ M
12-05-2009, 1:08pm
, and the 5d would be a bit heavier then my d200; but your arms would get sore eventually holding without a monopod.

Try the other way around Aaron, looking at a few specs, the D200 is just a little bit heavier than a 5D.

Either way, hand holding most long lenses for any length of time takes its toll on your photography.

( the above may not apply if you are built like an Olympic weight lifter ) :D

pgbphotographytas
12-05-2009, 1:57pm
Try the other way around Aaron, looking at a few specs, the D200 is just a little bit heavier than a 5D.

Either way, hand holding most long lenses for any length of time takes its toll on your photography.

( the above may not apply if you are built like an Olympic weight lifter ) :D

Yes I totally agree, the monopod was the best thing I got to hep me with this.

Paul

ving
12-05-2009, 3:36pm
ppl go on and on about weight... i have the 150-500mm version of the siggy, its a bit heavier but mounted on a d40 with batterygrip so i am guessing body wise its about the same... I do regular 3-4 hour birding session with this with a sigma external flash on top, hand held...
while you arent pointing the camera it hangs nicely from a shoulder strap cause lets face it, who sits there pointing a camera for 3 hrs straight? theres walking around, resting, waiting for stuff to happen, getting food, etc totake a break from holding the camera. the shoulder strap means you can walk comfortably for a couple of KM if you need to while carrying the camera.
the OS on my camera genareally allows for me to shoot down to 1/100 hand held tho i have done a few 1/60 at 500mm that are sharp too, but that takes some steadying.

focus speed? hmm, well mine is f6.3 max at 500 so its good is its bright but falls off when the light does... the 120-400 would be quicker but still watch the light.

IQ, mine is good from f8 on and i am asuming the 400 would be too. mine is still usable "wide" open too but IQ does drop off a bit.

whipper_snappa
12-05-2009, 9:51pm
aaahk cool beans

cheers for that guys,

also i've got the battery grip on the d200 aswell so that adds a bit more weight but its nothing i cant handle. i will most definatly buy a monopod when getting this lens then, sounds stupid hand holding every shot with the dam thing haha

pgbphotographytas
13-05-2009, 4:47pm
Sounds good, let us know once you get it and what you think of it.

Paul

myeewyee
12-06-2009, 9:27am
Hmmm... I'm strongly considering buying a Sigma 120-400mm second hand. I'd love some more opinions on this lens if anyone else has one.

David
12-06-2009, 7:27pm
I am considering this lens myself for telefoto purposes beyond 100MM to 400MM because 300MM wont cut if for the birding and wildlife stuff I am eventually going to get into after I clean up the other end of the scale (10mm through to 100MM with three Sigma lenses: only got one so far).

Good luck with it.

PS: There is a Sigma 135MM-400MM which is heaps cheaper than the 120-400MM but I dont think it is EX or HSM..from memory.

I dont think Canon or Nikon will give you a 400MM + capable lens for anywhere near the price of the 'foreign' providers if $$$ is a key issue. You start shelling out serious money beyond 300MM with Canon from what Ive researched to date.

Cheers David

Audible
30-11-2009, 3:07pm
I'm also considering this lens to replace my 135-400mm sigma. mainly to get the OS. Figure if I ebay the 135-400mm, the change over price may be worth it to gain the extra two stops worth when hand holding.

The 135-400mm isn't a bad lens optically. There are no noticable distortions or CA (unless you pixel peep and look for them). Compared to my 70-200mm F4L, the sigma will always come off second best.
But for what it is and comparing it to other consumer grade lens, its pretty good. Optically the only real downer is that it's a bit soft over around 340-350mm but stopping down to f9.0 fixes that. I've taken moon shots with this lens @ f11 and gotten good crater detail right across the moon face.

The problems with the 135-400mm are barrel creep, focus speed (compared to my other lens) and the lack of OS. The new 120-400mm looks like it solves all those problems so this lens looks like being a bit of a winner.

BTW, what price did Harvey Normans have the lens for?

mcdesign
04-12-2009, 8:10pm
I bought this lens quite recently, haven't quite got used to it yet but very happy with what I have got so far within the limits of my photography, this (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=43758) was taken with the lens prefocusing on the tree and then pressing the button at the (right!) time, as you can see I need a lot of practice.

bradhk
02-01-2010, 3:42am
I have this lens. I bought it to go to the Macau Grand Prix last in 2008. I actually found it too long from where I was sitting at that circuit and mostly used my 50-150 for panning shots. I did get a few shots with the 120-400 and it was the first time that I had shot motor sport. Having said that, I am happy with the results I did get with the lens.

This was at 270mm f8 1/350, not the worlds greatest motor sport photo but I was happy with it as a first attempt.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/3038108482_b6ebde3443_o.jpg

another at 120mm f4.5 1/1000

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/3038108410_3d9e6128ca_o.jpg

OS is very impressive, in test shots inside my house, i was getting reasonably sharp hand held shots 400mm at 1/6 sec.

Pine
04-01-2010, 11:56am
Hey Guys,

Was at harvey norman today, and noticed a big sigma sitting in the cabinet, it was begging me to try it out. Turns out it was the Sigma 120-400. I Loved it, after i asked the salesman to stick it on the 5D i took some shots with it instore. I was very impressed with the quality of the actual lens and very impressed with the speed of the AF. i think i shot at 1/60 F5.6 400mm with ISO400. I'm not sure if OS was on or not, but it was crystal clear.

Just wondering if anyone has actually purchased this lens, if so any pro's or con's with it i should be aware of before i decide to waltz down there and purchase it?

Thanks! :D

I had to do an "AFMicroadjust" on my Canon 7D to get the Sigma 120-400 to focus acurately. Was as much as 7 clicks out.:rolleyes:

janedene
08-05-2010, 4:34pm
Hi,

I'm a keen amateur photographer who has never joined any kind of forum before so am looking forward to participating. I'm wondering if anyone can help. Ive been thinking about the Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM lens and wanted to get opinions or good alternatives at around the same price.

Mikerudd
03-07-2010, 11:48pm
I recently purchased the Sigma 120-140 after considering the 150 -500. Weight difference and size was the deciding factor. First few attempts were a tad disappointing on my Canon 7d but I put that down to getting the balance and feel as I was hand holding. I read some people think focus is soft - I believe this lens is excellent value for money and you will pay SIGNIFICANTLY more for the Canon equivalent for just marginal improvement. Now i am consistently getting GREAT results with fabulous depth of colour and sharpness. I am keen pilot and will be using this lens for aircraft photography and views from the cockpit... perfect choice. None of my photographic clients are complaining and i am confident my photos will get published in the mags when i get using this lens for my business. Lens is very well built too.

Mungoman
09-07-2010, 10:27am
G'day I have been using a Sigma 120- 400 lens for a couple of years now, mainly for football events, coupled with a cannon 30D and monopod. apart from usual softness @400mm, it's a hardworking, reliable lens...need the monopod though.

Stingray
24-10-2010, 8:26pm
Hi whipper_snappa
Can I ask, (as its been a while) did you purchase this lens? and if so are you happy with it?
MY insurance Co. are replacing my damaged Eos 10D and Soligor 100-400mm with a 60D and Sigma APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM
I know any photos taken will s**t all over any i have prev taken .. hehehehe ... but i am wondering on its performance ...
I take it from some of the others who have posted that they are happy with it .. and I love the Kookaburra shot mcdesign refers us to :)
as I am an avid bird and nature photographer .. (as well as storm shots)

MarkChap
24-10-2010, 8:32pm
Stingray, see these couple (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?69888-Young-Magoie) from just this afternoon

Cam Scott
08-11-2010, 9:47pm
Hi Folks.
May I suggest this fantastic comparative review of the Sigi 120-400 by Darwin Wiggett (Canada) here (http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/lens-review-the-sigma-120-400-4-5-5-6-apo-hsm-telephoto-zoom/) :th3:

He does some very nice real life comparisons, in depth, and honestly.

Lenses compared to the Sigma 120-400 are:

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L
Canon 70-200 f/4 L
Canon 300mm f/4 L

Based on his findings, for the price of the Sigma, unless you're pushing 400mm consistently, save the $1k. The Sigma appears to be a very good lens, and particularly on APS-C sensors as it's using the middle of the glass.
Hope this helps you decide if you're considering the Sigi 120-400.

Out of interest, I tried the 80-400 Sigma on my 5DII and the AF was slowwwww.
Cam

whipper_snappa
24-11-2010, 2:07pm
Hi guys!

I know it was a while since I posted this thread, but I JUST bought this lens :D

I know it is still quite cheap for what it could do but I am still impressed with Sigma's quality of product and glass. It does get a little soft between the 350mm and 400mm marks but other then that it's insane. I strongly suggest that people have a look at this lens if they want something for Bird watching / sporting etc.

Here is a quick photo I took as soon as I rushed home with it!

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3938/tylerd.jpg

poorman
26-11-2010, 8:26pm
Mate i think u just sold me a lens too thats exactly what im after that and high shots of rc helicopters ........:)

poorman
26-11-2010, 8:59pm
priced it alittle out of my reach how does the sigma 70 - 300 f4-56 apo DG macro AF stand compared to it??

Kerro
27-11-2010, 12:44am
I have the Sigma 120-300 F2.8, no OS, on a 7D, and it is awesome.

whipper_snappa
29-11-2010, 7:26pm
I wouldn't go the 70-300, as it's just a standard kit lens. the 120-300 is about 3x the price of the 120-400. I picked my 120-400 for 900, although i've seen it else where for $699. You can even look for a second hand one. I'd honestly just save for it man, it is totally worth it. I took it to the Racetrack on Sunday and I was amazed with it

Tamtarn
02-12-2010, 5:26pm
Hi whipper_snappa

Love your first shot with your new lens.

After watching this thread and reading many reviews , I purchased this lens on the 23-11-10.
My photographic skills are only basic but this lens is going to help me shoot objects that are sometimes out of reach.

The link below will show several shots taken so far.

http://www.pbase.com/rangeviewobservatory/sigma_apo_120_400mm.

Thanks again for your thread.

David

whipper_snappa
04-12-2010, 10:18am
Hi there, Tamtarn.

I'm glad I was able to help, your photos are quite impressive! I will be doing some bird shoots soon, although there isn't much here in Canberra! But oh well. I like the shots of the Rainbow lorikeets, there such amazing looking birds! I have 2 of them myself, I might try and post some photos of them up soon. :)

Enjoy your new lens!

Tamtarn
07-12-2010, 6:38pm
Thanks for your comment on our photos whipper_snappa, a lot to learn yet but really enjoying this new hobby.