PDA

View Full Version : What is causing this haze?

MattC
09-05-2009, 2:49pm
Took a couple of macro shots today, and some of them had this 'haze' in them - any help on cause would be appreciated.
Setup was: 28-80 'macro' (1:2) at 80mm mounted on full extension tube set + using flash mounted on camera with diffuser.
Lens at F11, shutter speedat about 1/125th - ISO 200
Picture picture converted in AdobeRAW, and reduced in size - no other PP done.

Thanks,

Matt

ricktas
09-05-2009, 2:54pm
Do you have a 'protective' filter on your lens. Like a UV one?

MattC
09-05-2009, 3:12pm
No filter - took some other shots and they were fine - my first thought was that the yellow from the flower is somehow relecting back down the lens/extension tube causing the haze? :confused013

stevemack
09-05-2009, 3:16pm
Id say your spot on with your assumption matt :th3:

steve.

41jas
09-05-2009, 3:17pm
No filter - took some other shots and they were fine - my first thought was that the yellow from the flower is somehow relecting back down the lens/extension tube causing the haze? :confused013

That's my first thought. There wasn't something in front that was out of focus by any chance? :confused013 humm...lens clean?

ricktas
09-05-2009, 3:18pm
agree with Steve. Certainly things like UV filters can exacerbate it, cause the light reflects of the lens front element, hits the back of the filter and bounces back down through the lens. But in this case it seems to be bouncing around inside the lens/extension tubes.

MattC
09-05-2009, 3:28pm
Thanks for all the quick replies. :th3:
Is there any way (apart from changing the background or shot) of reducing this? ie does it nomally occur when using maximum extension tubes, or at a specific aperture? or was this just a combination of things that caused the effect?

hoffy
09-05-2009, 3:36pm
Whats the finish like in the tubes?

Seesee
09-05-2009, 5:34pm
I'd put it down as a combinationof things as you say, may never happen again

MattC
10-05-2009, 7:52am
Whats the finish like in the tubes?

They are a black machined alumunium - looks like a fine thread almost - there could be some internal relfection I suppose, but would be fairly mnimal. These are faily cheap ebay tubes, so I suppose like all things you get what you pay for! :)

hoffy
10-05-2009, 8:21am
I wonder what finish others have, whether they have a matt black coated finish.

I still reckon that the planets aligned (so to speak) to get that effect.

arthurking83
10-05-2009, 9:30am
I wonder what finish others have, whether they have a matt black coated finish.

that threading effect is light baffling, as it minimises the effect of reflecting light. Lens hoods and the internals of lenses have a similar finish.. it's not that.

Most likely two sources:

Any light source forward of the lens hood(I'm assuming lens hood was on?)

Return reflection off a shiny surface when illuminated by the flash(at close range).

I notice it's an old-ish Sigma 28-80mm lens you used. Maybe this could be part of the issue :confused013

most likely it looks like something Julie hit on.. maybe something flew past, or blew in front of the lens as the shot was being taken.

ricktas
10-05-2009, 9:52am
It could also be airborne pollen. If the bee was foraging around, at this close range, and magnification, it could well be a puff of airborne pollen particles.

Kym
10-05-2009, 9:59am
Dirty air? Were the extension rings imported from China - anywhere near Beijing? The pollution is bad - change the air in the extension tubes :D :D :D

dbax
10-05-2009, 10:53am
looks like something in the FG to me...but I'm guessing:confused013