PDA

View Full Version : Renaming in lightroom

IanB
07-05-2009, 10:03am
Is there a way to rename a single file in Lightroom? The best I can work out is through import/export>there has to be a better way!! And of coarse I would like to keep developments done in the file.

:)

Tannin
07-05-2009, 10:41am
There doesn't has to be a better way. Maybe there is one, but there doesn't has to be. Lightroom's file-handling is appallingly bad. This is a pity as in some other ways it is a very promising program. But in the end, it's an Adobe product, ad Adobe haven't got a product fully right since ... er ... well, I suppose they did at some stage, I just can't remember an example. But, to be fair, their quality products may have been before my time. After all, I've only been using computers for 30 years.

ABC
07-05-2009, 11:05am
There IS a way, but I can't remember without having it in front of me. Will have a look tonight if I remember.

ABC
07-05-2009, 11:33am
Just found this:
http://thoughts-on-film.blogspot.com/2007/11/adobe-lightroom-rename-files.html

kiwi
07-05-2009, 11:34am
Its simple, highlight the file(s) in Gallery panel and push F2

IanB
07-05-2009, 11:45am
Just found this:
http://thoughts-on-film.blogspot.com/2007/11/adobe-lightroom-rename-files.html

A winner; thanks for that.

Thanks everyone; the show is on the road again until the next break down. :rolleyes:

:) :)

MarkW
07-05-2009, 8:34pm
I thought that LR was like Aperture for Mac - if you re-name the file you destroy the links to the master file??

kiwi
07-05-2009, 8:52pm
You do if you rename or move in explorer though its easy enough to restablish the relationship

nisstrust
08-05-2009, 10:46am
There doesn't has to be a better way. Maybe there is one, but there doesn't has to be. Lightroom's file-handling is appallingly bad. This is a pity as in some other ways it is a very promising program. But in the end, it's an Adobe product, ad Adobe haven't got a product fully right since ... er ... well, I suppose they did at some stage, I just can't remember an example. But, to be fair, their quality products may have been before my time. After all, I've only been using computers for 30 years.

Tannin have you got your 30 day free trial of LR2.3 yet? hehehe :)
I implore you, please... get the free 30 day trial and use nothing else but LR for the entire 30 days, just submerse yourself in it and then come out the other end and then blast it. :D

Kym
08-05-2009, 11:43am

LR individual file handling - well there isn't any really. :rolleyes:
BUT! LR was designed as a catalogue and bulk image catalogue tool - not for dealing with individual files.

What's good about LR?
1. Library (catalogue) image management
2. Non destructive edits
3. Reasonable basic edit functions (but no layer based edit)
4. Reasonably quick (esp. for Adobe product)
5. Plugable extras (presets etc.)
6. Better UI than previous Adobe efforts - Yay!
7. Very good raw handling

When you want/need to primarily edit images in Photoshop then Bridge & ACR is probably better. LR is good to load a lot of images; pick the best few and then edit in PS when you need to.

Photoshop is slow and cumbersome - but has some very good features if you can find them in its retarded menu system.

IanB
08-05-2009, 2:25pm
Tannin have you got your 30 day free trial of LR2.3 yet? hehehe :)
I implore you, please... get the free 30 day trial and use nothing else but LR for the entire 30 days, just submerse yourself in it and then come out the other end and then blast it. :D

I didn't need thirty days; maybe a couple to get the ideas going>LR can do more PP then most give it credit for once the paint bush has been mastered>wonderful tool for showing clients what can be done to their images>very good raw converter although sliders are too sensitive.

Although I don't have elements 7; I thinking LR and E7 would be good set up for non pros; maybe even enough for a lot of pros

:th3:

nisstrust
08-05-2009, 4:28pm
Agreed Ian, elements 6 & 7 are pretty powerful as it is. Adobe have obviously seen a good and prosperous market for those that cannot afford the full suite of CS4.

For PC users Adobe have a special bundled Elements 7 and Premiere 7 package for around $250. Awesome value! now just need it in Mac version for me.....