PDA

View Full Version : What type of camera bag do you use

pgbphotographytas
05-05-2009, 2:57pm
Since this is an area I have quite a bit of experience in (with the numbers of bags I have purchased I should do) I am wondering what type of camera bag you use?

If you use more then one type please select all the types you use and if you select other please tell us what you use.

I would also be interested to see any photos of different people bags and how they have them set up.

Paul

dejavu
05-05-2009, 3:11pm
Backpack due to weight and my lack of manliness to carry it all in a shoulder bag.

I used to use a Lowepro Nature Trekker AW II, but recently switched to a Crumpler Karachi Outpost so I can carry my camera with my laptop (for everyday carrying around to work). Now I carry the camera with a 24-70 and 580ex, and leave everything else at home.

Having said that, having to switch lenses is annoying with a backpack, but I have a very helpful assistant who is more than willing to hold onto the second lens and use it while she is at it :)

ving
05-05-2009, 3:18pm
i have a rather big bulky backpack that fits everything as well as a shoulder bag for just light stuff... i usually use the b/pack for storage and use the shoulderbag for wheni am out and about.

pgbphotographytas
05-05-2009, 3:18pm
Having said that, having to switch lenses is annoying with a backpack, but I have a very helpful assistant who is more than willing to hold onto the second lens and use it while she is at it :)

Yes that was the main reason I went for a Inverse 200AW as I didn't like having to put down a backpack to change and by having a waist pack I can change easier, plus as it is smaller I can't buy any more gear :rolleyes:

davesmith
05-05-2009, 3:21pm
Does a pocket in my shorts count? The only thing I use a bag for is for something to put everything in when I'm at home (and even then, everything seems to just sit on a table anyway). If I'm going to shoot something I don't pack the kitchen sink in a bag and carry it on the off chance I might need it. I go prepared with exactly what I need on the camera, and perhaps an alternate lens in my pocket or a shoulder bag.

WoundWowfanAU
05-05-2009, 3:27pm
Well,

I use a shoulder bag at the momment but have been looking at getting a Backpack soon... :)

Jcas
05-05-2009, 3:37pm
I have Domke shoulder bags, very happy with them.

virgal_tracy
05-05-2009, 3:40pm
Tamrac Expedition 7 (I think) for me. Plenty of room for camera gear, lappy and a section for general crap. I am starting to need more room though.

Miaow
05-05-2009, 3:41pm
A shoulder bag that came with the Canon when we bought it - has Canon EOS on it so i gather its a standard canon bag

yummymummy
05-05-2009, 3:42pm
I bought an elcheapo shoulder bag from ebay.. It's just big enough for my camera and the two lenses that I have, and until I get another one (which won't be for a wee while yet!) I won't have to get another bag :)

Bax
05-05-2009, 3:44pm
Here's mine, Lowepro mini trekker.

It's looking a LOT lighter on then it did in that picture. But I need the updated pic in a few weeks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmbax/3014020183/

Jez
05-05-2009, 3:44pm
Lowpro Vertex 200 AW is in the mail. Have been running a Nova 2 AW.

Jez.

TOM
05-05-2009, 3:49pm
use the domke f2, but also have a couple of pelican hard cases for certain situations. had a super trekker II lowepro but it was too big so i flicked it.

in my domke i can fit five cameras, five lenses, blower, cleaning cloth, spare batteries, leatherman, maglite, two lightmeters, flash bracket, flash, ttl cord, pc cord, four filters, film, cable release, film leader extractor, lens adaptor, and a tripod.

ricktas
05-05-2009, 4:00pm
Since this is an area I have quite a bit of experience

Understatement of the Century :D

B D H
05-05-2009, 4:14pm
Lowepro Flipside 400
I'm really happy with this, you can access everything without having to put the bag down
leaving two hands free to change lenses etc
I had a slingshot 200 before that, It was good too

Jules
05-05-2009, 4:23pm
I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker, but it's so heavy when fully packed that I tend to use it for storage more than anything. When I'm out I use a couple of smaller bags which fit just what I need for the day - a Tamrac backpack for hiking/cycling and a Jill-E shoulder bag for city use, functions, etc.

NikonNellie
05-05-2009, 4:34pm
I have a Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW - fits all my lenses in and is quite comfortable to wear considering I have acquired some back problems from my nursing days. Mind you with the new Telephot lens in it, it's very heavy!

pgbphotographytas
05-05-2009, 4:42pm
Lowepro Flipside 400
I'm really happy with this, you can access everything without having to put the bag down
leaving two hands free to change lenses etc
I had a slingshot 200 before that, It was good too

I was looking at the flipside 400 on the weekend, was so tempted. :)

Steadyhands
05-05-2009, 5:59pm
I don't have a bag obsession, no I really don't. I ticked all except other.:p

Big Backpack for carrying lots - Lowepro Photo Trekker - weighs a ton when loaded.
Normal Size Backpack for everyday use - Crumpler Whickey & Cox - good capacity and very comfortable.
Normal Size Backpack, Airline compatible - Lowepro Computrekker - has the capacity but not that comfortable. Take the Laptop also bag.
Shoulder Bag - Domke F1x - Good capacity, inconspicuous.
Bum Bag - Think Tank ChangeUp - Versatile, handy.
Hard Case - Pelican 1640

Sold
Lowepro Minitrekker
Crumpler 6 Million Dollar House

para
05-05-2009, 6:50pm
Recently got my hands on a think tank webbing belt type with all needed pouches,love it

Nickd1969
05-05-2009, 6:57pm
I have a Kata DR-466 (http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=438&Version=Photo) backpack...it seems to be pretty good for me atm :th3: But may be looking for a more 'secure' one, as I am going on a boat cruise early next year. Possibly one with the openings against your back, instead of on the outside... what do you think ? Is there more secure ones out there ? I must admit, I only thought about this last night, so haven't really had a look around yet. But I will look up some of the ones mentioned here. ;)

Philr
05-05-2009, 7:15pm
I have a Tamrac expedition 8 which is large and fits all of my stuff in. Very large bag bit worth it.

I also have a smaller case logic bag that I take on planes as it fits a good selection of gear and also fits in carry on luggage.

Tannin
05-05-2009, 7:17pm
You left out the best sort of bag! And the gravy!

Where is the tick-box for a hybrid bag - waist belt and shoulder strap? Shame, shame, shame!

Bear Dale
05-05-2009, 7:40pm
I've looked at a lot of backpack style bags. I just can't see myself lugging one around.

Are they comfortable?

Slide
05-05-2009, 7:42pm
I recently picked up Lowepro compurover for tramping around carnarvon gorge but before that the slingshot 200.

The_Camera_Poser
05-05-2009, 9:56pm
Mountainsmith Odyssey
Lowepro Minitrekker
Tamrac Adventure 8
Tamrac Adventure 2

Bax
06-05-2009, 10:46am
I've looked at a lot of backpack style bags. I just can't see myself lugging one around.

Are they comfortable?

In my opinion the most comfortable would be the backpack type bags. They're just inconvenient with access. And I guess it's fairly common to say that if the camera isn't out of the bag it's not going to be taking photos.

So if I take the full kit, I generally try and avoid it on most ocassions, but if I take the full bag I have to remember to take the camera out and put it around my neck before I take off on my walk. Unless I know for sure I won't be needing it/ or the terrain is too rough.

pgbphotographytas
06-05-2009, 10:59am
In my opinion the most comfortable would be the backpack type bags. They're just inconvenient with access. And I guess it's fairly common to say that if the camera isn't out of the bag it's not going to be taking photos.

So if I take the full kit, I generally try and avoid it on most ocassions, but if I take the full bag I have to remember to take the camera out and put it around my neck before I take off on my walk. Unless I know for sure I won't be needing it/ or the terrain is too rough.

That is the issue I had so I went for my waist / shoulder pack, much easier to get in to.

Paul

vqscorpions
06-05-2009, 12:54pm
actually backpack is good for use, but it is not so convenience as shoulder pack when you want to change lens and take some accessories.

So when i go outdoor, if only the body and 3 lens and flash, i prefer the shoulder pack.

If have to move outdoor with two body and more than 3 lens, it should be backpack

:food04:

MattC
06-05-2009, 1:10pm
I am using the KATA DR-467 and very happy with it. The only thing missing would be a dedicated tripod holder, but the carry handle works o.k. though.

I also wouldn't mind a sling type bag that I can keep the camera and one or two lenses for when just out and about.

Kym
06-05-2009, 5:23pm
Two backpacks...

Lowepro Orion Trekker II (medium) http://products.lowepro.com/product/Orion-Trekker-II,1989,14.htm
Tamrac Expedition 7 (big) http://www.tamrac.com/5587.htm

The Tamrac has all my gear in it and I only take it on big trips (10+kgs fully loaded).
The Lowepro I pack with what I need for a shoot if not taking the whole kit.

For the Tassie trip next year I'll bring both.
As we will have our car - the Tamrac keeps everything in one place safe and the Orion is good for specific bits during the day.

earthairfire
06-05-2009, 6:04pm
Most the time, I use a LowePro Stealth Reporter 400 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Stealth-Reporter-D400-AW,2047,20.htm) shoulder bag. Easy access - great for events, weddings, gigs etc where you need quick access to your kit. Fits 2 bodies, and 4+ lenses. It has the added bonus of a quick access zip at the top to grab your camera out at a moment's notice.

I also occasionally use a LowePro Mini Trekker (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Mini-Trekker-AW,1965,14.htm) backpack - especially for hiking trips or holidays where I don't need such quick gear access.

I find the backpack more comfortable, but the ease of gear access wins hands down with the shoulder bag for anything where I may need to change lenses in a hurry.

Tim

DanNG
06-05-2009, 8:29pm
I use a hard case, back pack or shoulder bag depending on the occasion =)

TOM
06-05-2009, 9:02pm
agree Dan, there is no silver bullet when it comes to camera storage.

pgbphotographytas
06-05-2009, 9:38pm
agree Dan, there is no silver bullet when it comes to camera storage.

Tell me about it, I could easily have two hard cases, a back pack and a shoulder bag :(

host
06-05-2009, 9:54pm
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW when going out on a hike
If it's just around the city a Crumpler 6 Million $ shoulder bag.
I'd like to get another bag but I'm sure I'd get into trouble ;)

sixty5
06-05-2009, 9:57pm
Vanguard Back pack. Looking to switch to a hard case. Kind of sick of the back pack to be honest. A change will be nice.

lesterpix
06-05-2009, 10:22pm
Lowepro Mini Trekker. Looked at many before settling on this not too big but roomy for plenty of gear and airline friendly for carry on and slipping under seat for easy/secure storage. For street work carry the cam and a few accessories in a smaller shoulder bag.

wwwmorrell
07-05-2009, 12:37am
Sadly :D :) you will end up with several bag's :eek: :eek: every day's shoot brings a different choice of lenses.
Be it for weather, conditions or locality & with that comes the bag to suit the days choice. :confused013 :angry0: :crzy:

Wal' :th3:

enduro
07-05-2009, 1:06am
For much of the photography (amateur) I do I just tend to take out the one lens with the camera attached in a Lowepro Mini Trekker or their largest Lowepro TLZ. Since I can't get a holster locally for the 400mm, I use the case that it comes in as the holster.

Recently I found this site where it appears I can get a holster for the 400mm f/5.6 with the 40D mounted:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_DH_compare.html

Mostly, now days I do take out a Berghaus 45L Pack which takes all my gear and the tripod.

negatron
07-05-2009, 12:37pm
We use sholder bags at home (a lowe pro and a crumpler 7 Mil home) but recently picked up a little backpack incase we want to do more travelling

Terri
07-05-2009, 7:01pm
I occassionally use a Crumpler million dollar (sorry, can't remember which one)... but I normally use a normal satchel with the portable "stuffing" parts of the Crumpler inserted for a bit of support, and my camera wrapped in a tea towel! :p But then, I prefer one camera one lens only, and have my camera on a wrist strap on my hand most of the time :)

balwoges
07-05-2009, 9:01pm
I have three bags, each time I buy a bigger one, I think about selling the smaller one, however have found I use all three.

Analog6
08-05-2009, 4:42am
I have a big suitcase like aluminium case, a small sqarish one (this is great, fits both DSLRs and all my lenses and I can stand on it for extra height), a soft over the shoulder bag, and a soft rolling case I made myself (from a $30 Woolies computer bag) for air travel. At home I use the soft over the shoulder case which fits the 2 camera (on their backs) with a lens apiece and spare cards, batteruies etc and I have a small square fibre 'handbag' that fits my Cokin P filters, rings and holders, plus the 2 manuals, a notebook, pens and some business cards..

powellbruce
08-05-2009, 4:45am
The one I use at the moment is the Lowepro flipside 400. Nice comfortable bag to carry round plenty of room and if worn properly you can slide it round on your waist to access gear. The security is great as the main opening is against your back.

pirate59
08-05-2009, 3:47pm
I use the Lowepro AW mini backpack (not so mini but) plus i have just completed setting up a aluminum hard case.

Apologies for the horrendous image quality, was the wonderous optics of the iphone...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3625/3512399044_13912ac862.jpg

Slide
08-05-2009, 6:59pm
Pirate59 did you cut the foam out for that, if so where do you buy foam block like that?

merlin1
08-05-2009, 7:54pm
Shoulder bag at the moment, which came with the Nikon D80, have bought a new lens so am looking for a back pack.

Ross.

hoffy
09-05-2009, 6:01pm
I use a Tamrac Velocity 9x or a Lowepro Toploader zoom

I have found that the Velocity seems to be the best compromise out of all the bags I have looked at. Can fit 2 cameras, 3 lenses and a flash without too much hassle. Also like that you can easily swing it in front of you for lens changes. Biggest hassle with this bag is there is no where to put papers and things like that.

B D H
09-05-2009, 6:02pm
QUOTE=Slide;300858]Pirate59 did you cut the foam out for that, if so where do you buy foam block like that?[/QUOTE]

Clark rubber has 2" sheets of grey foam for about $40
This was discussed on another forum involving telescope lenses
the general opinion was that only grey/black foam should be used
other foam could affect the glass coatings of lenses

pirate59
09-05-2009, 11:39pm
Pirate59 did you cut the foam out for that, if so where do you buy foam block like that?

As BDH mentioned Clark Rubber is the place to be :)

more so it was only 17ish dollars and they cut the blocks to size. dont need measurements etc, just took the empty case in.

As for the individual cut outs, you can be tricky and use a jigsaw cutter for smooth lines, or be like me and use a medium sized kitchen knife and a steady hand.
I did set out the gear, then marked the stencils so, then removed the middle layer for cutting.

A lot of fun to make, get bonus self esteem points for the 'i created that and saved 100$' for the whole gig too.

Slide
10-05-2009, 3:32am
Thanks BDH and priate59, that little bit of info will come in handy later on down the track.:th3:

occxlr8ed
12-05-2009, 9:44pm
Pelican 1514 Case - love this thing
Crumpler 7MDH - used to love this thing till my gear got heavier and heavier
Lowepro Flipside 400AW - comfy!

Angel
13-05-2009, 7:15pm
i have 2 bags

7 million and the karachi outpost.

I like the backpack as its easier to carry my full kit, but is a pain changing lenses as have to remove the bag off my back o do so.
I use the 7 million the most

Lines
14-05-2009, 10:59am
Started with Crumpler's 7MDH to accommodate all my gear and a 5MDH for light single lens setups but have since found that travelling/hiking for long periods with a shoulder bag gets a little tiring so have since picked up a Crumpler "Puppet" backpack (keystone size). Gave the Lowepro Slingshot 300 a go but it never felt overly comfortable.

mickeymoo21
14-05-2009, 11:12am
Currently I use a Lowepro Toploader 75 AW, this fits my Canon 5D, 17-40, 70-200, filter holder and 3 GND filters, 2 spare batteries, cable release and a few other bits and pieces. It comes with a harness that connects to each corner, and a rain cover that is a bit small.
As most of my stuff is done when bushwalking I wear the camera bag on the front and the backpack on the back and have found this system quite good, although its a little slow and arkward to get out of them in a hurry.

draco
16-05-2009, 9:34pm
I got the lowepro slingshot and it's been pretty good... very easy to access the camera.. but it's a bit too big for casual use so am trying to have paul sell me one of his bags :D

phild
17-05-2009, 8:41am
Im half looking for a new bag, I currently have a Lowepro Orion Trekker, I fit my 5D with 24-105, 70-200, 580Ex and a some cheapy clone Cokin filters, spare battery & charger and timer remote with room to spare.

There's still room to fit a 17-40 and 100mm macro (on the wish list) as well at a pinch. The 70-200 and Flash reside in the upper compartment.

I'd like something with a little more padding (the orion has no side or front padding in the upper compartment).

Although it's necesary to remove the bag to get the camera out but given the size of the bag it's no hassle.

I find the Orion Trekker extremely comfortable so although it's a little crowded I'm reluctant to change. I like the idea of the slingshot bags but I'm not sure they would be as comfortable, so my next bag will probably be a Lowepro flipside.

pgbphotographytas
17-05-2009, 9:02am
Im half looking for a new bag, I currently have a Lowepro Orion Trekker, I fit my 5D with 24-105, 70-200, 580Ex and a some cheapy clone Cokin filters, spare battery & charger and timer remote with room to spare.

There's still room to fit a 17-40 and 100mm macro (on the wish list) as well at a pinch. The 70-200 and Flash reside in the upper compartment.

I'd like something with a little more padding (the orion has no side or front padding in the upper compartment).

Although it's necesary to remove the bag to get the camera out but given the size of the bag it's no hassle.

I find the Orion Trekker extremely comfortable so although it's a little crowded I'm reluctant to change. I like the idea of the slingshot bags but I'm not sure they would be as comfortable, so my next bag will probably be a Lowepro flipside.

I have the Lowepro Flipside 300 and I think it is great.

Paul

Fabz
15-02-2010, 2:49pm
I have a Lowepro Fastpack 200. I can fit all my gear into it and there's still room for my lunch in the top compartment and a drink holder net on the outside. The best part of the Fastpack is that you can swing it around the left shoulder strap to get the camera in or out without needing to take it off. I find this backpack to be really comfy and well padded.
I was initially going to get the 250, but when I tried it on the laptop section seemed to make it too big and heavy. I also didn't need the waist straps of the 250. The 200 is perfect for my needs.

NIKOND700
15-02-2010, 3:16pm
Tamrac sling back is nice.

Paul G
15-02-2010, 3:32pm
I use one of your old ones :D

Helen S
15-02-2010, 3:37pm
Lowepro Dryzone 200 and Lowepro Mini Trekker AW. :)

kwokask
15-02-2010, 5:13pm
A lot of walking involved - LowePro Flipside 400AW
Otherwise - Crumpler 5MDH and 7MDH (depending on amount of equipment needed)

jasevk
15-02-2010, 5:51pm
I was looking at the flipside 400 on the weekend, was so tempted. :)

I can second this, love my flipside 400, just wish i went with the computrekker version with the wheels, maybe an add on for me :D

wiggles
15-02-2010, 5:53pm
I've got a few ;) Lowepro Vertex 100 AW for my birding, Kata 3in1-10 for my macro and walkabouts and Lowepro fastpack 200 for day trips. I also have bought and sold some others too, It's very addictive :D

pollen
15-02-2010, 8:39pm
I use different bags depending on what I have to do:

For when I am just going to an indoor function (not as the photographer) I stay fairly low key, 1 camera, 2 flashes, 1X 14mm wide angle, 1X 35mm lens, 1X 85mm lens in a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home (2009 edition) which I have in all black and doesn't look like a camera bag

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p238726913-4.jpg

When I'm going on a hike or holiday or trip, I use a Crumpler Whickey and Cox backpack. It is very poorly designed but it lets you stay low key (doesn't look like a camera bag) and is very secure as it can't be opened whilst it is on your back.

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p131336245-4.jpg

When I have to cover a wedding or something, I dump stuff into a ThinkTank Airport Security v2 bag which I like because of its great rollability, and also because it has 3 built in locks

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p196394739-4.jpg

When I do portraits, it all goes to crap because there's so many different Softboxes, Tripods, Umbrella mounts to carry :(

enduro
15-02-2010, 9:28pm
Since my last post (at which point I did not vote - and now have) I took the oppertunity of a birthday to pick up a Flipside 400AW. I must say it's much easier to access my equipment with than the Berhaus hiking pack I was using before. The flipside is smaller, but packs the gear in tight and properly.

dulvariprestige
15-02-2010, 10:26pm
I've been using a canon back up until today, but got a very nice surprise this afternoon when a courier dropped off a flipside 400 that my wife secretly bought me for valentine's day, I've been tossing up between this and the fastpack 350, i think she made the right decision, maybe tad slower to access the camera if it's in the bag, but most of the time I'll probably have the camera in my hands anyway, plus i think the flipside holds more gear and i like the security of the opening against my back.

Captured Exposure
16-02-2010, 2:43pm
Backpack, Lowepro Flidside 300. Easy enough to spin around and access.

Cliff
16-02-2010, 9:11pm
When I do portraits, it all goes to crap because there's so many different Softboxes, Tripods, Umbrella mounts to carry :(

Pollen, I think it's time you updated your signature! You seem to have lots more gear than indicated. :)

Speedway
16-02-2010, 10:35pm
My original hard case saw much service with my film cameras and early days of digital. It now houses most of the no longer or rarely used gear.
While the backpack A $99 computrecker from China goes everywere with nearly everythingin it
Keith

justdave
17-02-2010, 10:01am
im running the minitrecker by lowepro also

and for on the plane the pelican case for 300 f2.8 and spare 70-200

harmo
17-02-2010, 2:59pm
Hi everyone! I haven't tried many bags extensively (I only recently stocked up on camera gear) But I have two backpacks for differing occasions.

If I need a lot of gear I'll take my Lowepro Compu-Treckker AW. It will easily store a laptop, body, and many Kgs of lenses with paraphenalia. I'll take this one as "Carry on" luggage on flights... simply because I'm paranoid about my gear, and when it's filled, it'll be as heavy as my major holiday backpack/suitcase. However, despite it being checked repeatedly at airport security, I've never been asked to weigh it.
On a completely irrelevant side note.. I have a Gorillapod Focus.. and have been asked "Which adult shop did you order this from?" by the Airport security. So regardless of which bag you get, make sure strange shaped things are easy to get to should they get flagged by the x-ray!

If I don't want to carry tons of gear. I highly recommend the Lowepro Fastpack 250. It still fits in a laptop/text book/novel in the back, SLR sized camera with lens (or two), flash, some accessories in the camera gear compartment, and I use the front flap as an additional (but not specifically designed) method to hold a light tripod. It also has room at the top for more stuff, such as another lens/lunch and a side drink holding pouch.

Flash Hit
17-02-2010, 3:29pm
The Lowepro sling 200 is ideal for camera, 2 lenses , tripod and accessories. I can have sling the bag from backpack position to the front and have the camera out in less than 5 seconds.
Greg

Bill44
17-02-2010, 3:59pm
Lowepro Nova 5 for location or event jobs, Lowepro Flipside 400 for walkabout or large field work. Big old Pelican case for home storage.

pgbphotographytas
17-02-2010, 4:10pm
I am using a Lowepro Inverse 200AW, suits me and has done for quite a while, it has been the bag I have kept the longest and I have no plans to replace it yet.

Paul G
17-02-2010, 5:21pm
I should have added in my earlier post I use a Lowepro Flipside 300 but I find I'm starting to outgrow it already as I accumulate more equipment. Great little bag though for a body, two lenses and a speedlight plus other bits and pieces.

carrg1954
17-02-2010, 10:01pm
Crumpler 8million, deep enought to holds camera with 300mm f4 ready to go,
Also Naneu pro K3L pack, good shoulder padding and strong rea with the back ventilation. not as
quick to get gear out but a different situation. regards

Ruthie72
18-02-2010, 12:57am
I have a Tamrac Expedition 6 backpack for the day trips, and a Crumpler 7 million dollar home for small shoots where I don't take all my gear.

abeluka
18-02-2010, 10:28am
Just bought a second-hand Domke F2 (nice weathered look)

Such a good bag, Its obviously already been well used, but its so well made, there is absolutely no wear on it at all.

Fits everything easily and you can get to everything easily whilst its still on you shoulder.

Brand new they are expensive... but I reckon they'd be worth it as the will last forever

mikec
18-02-2010, 10:33am
When I'm going on a hike or holiday or trip, I use a Crumpler Whickey and Cox backpack. It is very poorly designed but it lets you stay low key (doesn't look like a camera bag) and is very secure as it can't be opened whilst it is on your back.

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p131336245-4.jpg

pollen what don't you like about the Whicky Cox? I was thinking about getting a crumpler backpack for when I do a little overseas travel later this year.

I have the exact same MDH as you and find it good, just don't feel it's too secure when travelling with it.

Audible
19-02-2010, 6:08pm
Lowepro Stealth reporter 300AW.

Been a good bag, but im out growing it. Lens and the 40d with battery grip is fine, but not enough room for the huge lens hoods for the 100-400mm IS & 10-22mm EFS lens.
Looking to get an even bigger shoulder bag, magnum 400AW, Nova 200AW or maybe a slingshot 302 AW. I'll have to try some out before I buy.

Never had a problem carrying a shoulder bag, so why not reap the benefits!

oh_lol
20-02-2010, 1:32am
I'm trying to find a nice multipurpose bag where I can fit in a bunch of my gear and then just random non-photography things in another section when I go away on holidays.
I have a Naneupro Adventure, but find this is far too large for holidays. It can't fit in most overhead luggage compartments and just too bulky in general to wear all day.
So I'm trying to find something that fits a gripped body, and probably 2 or 3 'bigger sized' lenses. Any recommendations?

rookie
20-02-2010, 3:26am
Lowepro flipside 300 does me.

Darchangel
20-02-2010, 8:28am
Can't vote from my iPhone, but I use a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW that I'm thoroughly enjoying "growing into" as I buy more toys :) I've also used and loved my little Lowepro holster - fits just a cam and lens but it's great for a small day trip where you know which lens you need and don't mind being limited. Not sure what I'll do when I buy my gripped camera though, doubt it'll fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nc1183
20-02-2010, 6:46pm
I currently using a Tamrac Expedition 5, couple of years old now, but still does the job.

billeigh
20-02-2010, 7:34pm
Thinktank Airport Antidote

RamblinR
21-02-2010, 9:45am

Are they comfortable?

I prefer a backpack because of the comfort. I find I get an aching shoulder if I have a sling or a shoulder bag on for any length of time but they are more convenient for lens changes (for those who can master doing it without putting their gear down). Also, a sling is not always the best choice for a female.

The backpack has a strap that goes around your waist. If you adjust this correctly all the weight is transferred to your hips which makes it much more comfortable IMO.

I have the Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 which packs a decent amount of gear in it.

pollen
21-02-2010, 1:35pm
pollen what don't you like about the Whicky Cox? I was thinking about getting a crumpler backpack for when I do a little overseas travel later this year.

I have the exact same MDH as you and find it good, just don't feel it's too secure when travelling with it.

Hi Mike it's my go to bag for travelling because it doesn't look like a camera bag and it's near impossible for a pickpocket to unzip your stuff because the zippers face your back.

But the problems with it are it has excessively deep and hard to access external pockets, which are all but useless (your hand barely fits through the opening and its a nightmare trying to reach down and get a small item)

The lack of external pockets is a big problem

Also its very hard to access the camera if you place it near the bottom of the bag (very tight squeeze) yet if you put it near the top the hotshoe will gouge the bag material (I need to put a layer of padding or plastic between the hotshoe and bag material which is very annoying)

Also it's a pain in the bum to extract gear in a timely manner, like all backpacks, as you can imagine if trying to remove things whilst the bag is upstanding. Changing lenses is a pain in the bum for backpacks since you have to remove it and go through the whole motion each time you change a lens :rolleyes: Shoulder bags have a distinct advantage here.

But backpacks are far easier to carry, this crumpler is VERY comfortable to carry (but does get heavy with long trips)

There's also a great review here http://photonotes.org/reviews/whickey-and-cox/

Bill44
21-02-2010, 2:16pm
While the Whickey Cox pioneered the rear entry bag I feel that Lowepro improved it with the Flipside series, particularly the Flipside 400.

The Flipside 400 is deep enough for a body with battery grip attached without the rubbing problem, lenses can be changed by shedding the shoulder straps and swivelling the bag round to the front on its belt strap, and the front pocket allows easy access with some storage room.
If, like me, you get the Forest Green/Black version it takes away from the "Camera Gear Inside" look.

EDIT. The Flipside 300 is not as deep as the 400. The 400 is the only one with the AW all weather cover.

mikec
21-02-2010, 8:25pm
it's my go to bag for travelling because it doesn't look like a camera bag and it's near impossible for a pickpocket to unzip your stuff because the zippers face your back.

That's the main reason I like crumpler bags, they aren't obvious. I have to say most other brands all look camera bagish.

Also its very hard to access the camera if you place it near the bottom of the bag (very tight squeeze) yet if you put it near the top the hotshoe will gouge the bag material (I need to put a layer of padding or plastic between the hotshoe and bag material which is very annoying)

Also it's a pain in the bum to extract gear in a timely manner, like all backpacks, as you can imagine if trying to remove things whilst the bag is upstanding. Changing lenses is a pain in the bum for backpacks since you have to remove it and go through the whole motion each time you change a lens :rolleyes: Shoulder bags have a distinct advantage here.

But backpacks are far easier to carry, this crumpler is VERY comfortable to carry (but does get heavy with long trips)

Its good to hear about those problems, I was aware it wouldn't be a bag for quick lens changes but thats cool, I'm planning on doing a solo trip to Japan for 2 weeks so I'll have lots of time to get my gear shorted for anything I'd be shooting and it'd mainly be architecture and landscape anyway.

Thanks for the info!

abeluka
22-02-2010, 10:40am
If I could get even 10% towards justifying a pressing need for one of these bags, I would get one of these in a heartbeat...

http://fstopgear.com/en/mountain/tilopa

Does anyone out there have one??

Everyone I have read feedback from rates them so highly there is an even larger version too...(http://fstopgear.com/en/mountain/satori)

mikec
22-02-2010, 11:21am
If I could get even 10% towards justifying a pressing need for one of these bags, I would get one of these in a heartbeat...

http://fstopgear.com/en/mountain/tilopa

Does anyone out there have one??

Everyone I have read feedback from rates them so highly there is an even larger version too...(http://fstopgear.com/en/mountain/satori)

I have one of their Mala bag's, its great! I looked very hard for something that was practical for my uses and would be rugged enough. It wasn't that expensive in the end, I'd say it was the same price as my crumpler 7 MDH once the shipping was included. They are bringing out a smaller back pack soon as well which I am waiting for. I think it'll be a toss up between a crumpler back pack or fstops smaller back pack once its out.

kptn82
23-02-2010, 12:51am
I have a 5MDH from the promotion and hated myself! Should have got the strap, more practical, now struggling to offload it! and don't want to hit Ebay either!! ARGH

Ended up buying a 8MDH and W&C, can't wait to get my hand on the W&C!

Ozzi Paul
24-02-2010, 7:18pm
I have a shoulder bag but have just purchased a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens and a Metz 48 AF-1 flash and now I can't fit everything in. So will be looking into a backpack or sling pack with a bit more room.

dulvariprestige
24-02-2010, 9:27pm
I'm happy with my flipside 400, fits my 7d with a grip and 24-105 attached, 70-200 2.8, 10-20, 17-70, 50 1.8 and flash, plus all the other bits and pieces.

peterb666
24-02-2010, 11:44pm
I am using the KATA DR-467 and very happy with it. The only thing missing would be a dedicated tripod holder, but the carry handle works o.k. though.

I also wouldn't mind a sling type bag that I can keep the camera and one or two lenses for when just out and about.

Very much along the same lines as you. I have the Kata DR-465 and it suits my collection of small camera and lenses quite well. I too miss something to strap the tripod on but I do find the stupidly small drink holder in combination with the cinching strap (or whatever they call it) ideal for securing a monopod.

Likewise looking for a small shoulder bag for light outings.

xrdave
10-03-2010, 9:46pm
I have two bags, Lowepro Mini Trekker and a Lowepro Nova 190. Both bags very handy. :D

Dave.

GerryK
11-03-2010, 10:24pm
Have been using a backpack which is comfortable and convenient. Just resumed my 2nd passion of 4wd'g and tending to use a hard case for travelling/driving and then backpack when I'm walking.

enduro
11-03-2010, 10:37pm
Very much along the same lines as you. I have the Kata DR-465 and it suits my collection of small camera and lenses quite well. I too miss something to strap the tripod on but I do find the stupidly small drink holder in combination with the cinching strap (or whatever they call it) ideal for securing a monopod.

Likewise looking for a small shoulder bag for light outings.

You can always get some extra strapping attached at your local quality boot mender/key cutter.

Rucksack clips and webbing for the job will cost you less than $5 and the stich up about the same.

I custom many of my bags done this way and the job looks like it was done at the factory.

Ozzi Paul
14-03-2010, 8:44pm
On the 24/2/10 I posted here that I needed to get a backpack or sling pack. Well, I decided to get a Lowepro Flipside 300 backpack. Pretty good bag so far. Can't change my selection in the Poll though.

Mexican
15-03-2010, 12:36pm
Hi,
I use a Canon backpack for travelling as it comes in at the maximum allowable sizes for all the different airlines I fly on.
I carry a big lens in a Lowpro pouch in my hold luggage and I fit it on the backpack after customs
Preferable to work out the maximums first then argue with airline staff later
Use a big Lowpro when travelling by car

Bear Dale
16-03-2010, 4:59pm
Just bought a Lowepro AW75 Toploader for those times that I just want a camera and one lens and a few bits and pieces and not have to carry blinking everything!

Over the moon with this bag. It's everything I hoped it was going to be.

peterb666
16-03-2010, 6:13pm
I just added a Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag as my smaller kit bag. Will take my Olympus E-P1, 2 spare lenses, Cokin filters and a gorillapod for a lightweight kit.

Padding is a bit thin (about the same standard as Crumpler bags) but keeping lenses in pouches helps. Nice subdued styling that doesn't cry out "expensive, steal me" or "prat".

Cheach
16-03-2010, 10:22pm
I got myself a medium size Crumpler The C List Celebrity - I was this range is to replace Karachi Outpost and Whickey and Cox. I was told I was the 1st person in the whole world to own this back pack :p

one thing I like about this back pack so far is, that the camera gear compartment can be remove and the backpack becomes cargo bag. Also the side zipper compartment is pretty handy.

So far I haven't used it for my camera gear yet. i am using it for work as a laptop backpack at the moment.

Craggles
17-03-2010, 2:13pm
I use a Slingshot 100AW, fits 50D, 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 just fine, its all I use at the moment.

Xevious
17-03-2010, 3:41pm
I currently have a Pelican 1550, Lowepro Vertex 200AW, Lowepro Stealth Reporter D200AW & Crumpler 4 million dollar home.

Redgum
17-03-2010, 3:50pm
Any sort of sling is bad for your health (if you travel/walk a lot). Backpack's are fine for long distance/time (or two or three weeks on the road). Any sort of hard case with wheels (and lock) is good for events.

Jeanette
18-03-2010, 10:25am
ok all this bag talk has got me on to Ebay for the first time in my life ihave made a bid on a back pack heehee wish me luck

Craggles
20-03-2010, 1:04am
Any sort of sling is bad for your health (if you travel/walk a lot). Backpack's are fine for long distance/time (or two or three weeks on the road). Any sort of hard case with wheels (and lock) is good for events.

Works fine for me, I dont usually wear it for long periods of time.

Jcas
20-03-2010, 8:46am
Its strange how many bags we actually end up with, at the beginning of this thread in May 09 i only had a Domke, now i have the same Domke, 2 Kata's and a lowepro, and stranger still i use each of them.

Everytime i got a new one to try i told myself i would sell the previous one, but i found there needs to be a different shape or size for different events...:eek:

dsaini
21-03-2010, 12:02pm
I use Stealth Reporter D650 AW. Tried few bags at the store and found this one best suited to my needs.

Cheers

Jimbo
22-03-2010, 11:30pm
I have a Lowepro Fastpack 250, love it.

virgal_tracy
23-03-2010, 11:10am
Recently purchased the Kata GN1-30.Combination sling / backpack. at present I have it loaded with 1 body with 28-75 attached, 70-200, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 10-20, 3 flash units plus 4 memory cards in the camera section with the top section reserved for batteries, 2nd body and paraphenalia.

The sling works well if you have it cinched tight so that it is snug against the back, or for longer distance walking I can convert it into a standard backpack configuration or make it a crossover shoulder straps to create easy access by unhooking one strap and moving it like a slingpack.

I am very impressed.

davros
23-03-2010, 12:25pm
Recently purchased the Kata GN1-30.Combination sling / backpack. at present I have it loaded with 1 body with 28-75 attached, 70-200, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 10-20, 3 flash units plus 4 memory cards in the camera section with the top section reserved for batteries, 2nd body and paraphenalia.

The sling works well if you have it cinched tight so that it is snug against the back, or for longer distance walking I can convert it into a standard backpack configuration or make it a crossover shoulder straps to create easy access by unhooking one strap and moving it like a slingpack.

I am very impressed.

I was just looking at the smaller version of this pack -- I have far less gear. How do you find getting the camera out from the sling position? It looked like it could be a bit cumbersome.

fats
23-03-2010, 8:33pm
I am currently using a Lowepro Primus and I love it. It fits what my gear perfectly in the camera section and has room for heaps of other stuff for a day out in the top section. It even fits a 15" Laptop in a pinch. It also has great shoulder straps and a decent hip strap which seems like a bit of an exception to the rule with camera bags.

I am hoping the tele side of things will get a bit bigger sooner or later though and the Primus will be a bit small. The F Stop Tilopa (mentioned above) looks like exactly what I want but I have also been looking very hard at a Dakine Sequence. The Primus wont be going anywhere though.

virgal_tracy
24-03-2010, 9:34am
I was just looking at the smaller version of this pack -- I have far less gear. How do you find getting the camera out from the sling position? It looked like it could be a bit cumbersome.

The good thing with the Kata is that you can set the sling to either side depending upon your preference. You then set up your internal dividers to match your prefered side. The only issue I have is zipping it back up as the zippers have moved away from the ideal line to do up. It is fairly simple to do it back upjust requires a bit of pressure on the bag to line the zips up again.

maquilina
24-03-2010, 2:32pm
I have a Crumper 5 Million Dollar Home.

It's not an obvious camera bag and is the right size for me.

macca5
25-03-2010, 11:40pm
computreker AW lowepro

kaiser
26-03-2010, 12:59am
I use a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 for hauling my gear around places - at the moment I've got it stuffed with a D700, gripped D90, 50mm, 24-70, 135mm, 3 Sb800/900s, filters and odds n ends. Of course I wouldn't haul that around on my shoulder for any period of time.

If I'm doing a shoot and don't mind looking quite obviously like a photographer I wear a Think Tank modular belt system which lets me carry what I need and leave the rest secured somewhere.
Sometimes I just load it up and chuck it in a non descript backpack, each item is in its own padded case and its less conspicuous.

Bob G
26-03-2010, 8:11pm
I have the Gura Gear "Kiboko" backpack

Have had several backpacks and bags, mostly Lowepro and none of them are a patch on this bag.

Designed in a size to maximise as on board luggage.

Has a great harness which is able to support a lot of the weight around the hips unlike the Lowpros and every other bag I have seen that kills your shoulders with any weight in it.

tomtom1
26-03-2010, 8:36pm
I prefer shoulder bags, as they're much easier to work out of when traveling.

Have used a 6mdh for a couple of years, now have a domke f2 on the way!

7D user
27-03-2010, 8:06pm
I recently bought a crumpler 7 million $ home. Very happy with the build quality and asthetics. Fits all by stuff nicely too.

beaujest4
29-03-2010, 1:00pm
I have had a number of different camera bags over the years, shoulder bags, hard cases etc and still have most of them stacked around somewhere. At present I into doing a bit of hiking as well and to save carrying too much I have a Lowepro Rover, half camera bag, half carry bag. Works well for me. Although I for shorter walks the camera lives in a ratty old pouch.

lacad01
31-03-2010, 11:44am
My pack is the Lowepro Mini Trekker but am finding it's running out of space with all the gear I've accumulated :)

janni
31-03-2010, 7:36pm
Lowepro fastpack 250, good size compartment for bunch of snacks for the kids.

Bean
01-04-2010, 10:06pm
Lowepro micro-trekker 200. Its nice and small, but might end up being too small as my collection of gear grows!

whatsthatbeeping
02-04-2010, 10:30am
Lowepro compu trekker aw.
Carries a load of gear, Body, 70-200mm, 10-20mm, 2 flashes, cable release, 50mm, mini pod, 15in laptop, power supply, mouse, spare batteries, filters.....
I weighed the bag at the airport once and it was 23.5 kilos, but is still comfy to carry.

Palomine
02-04-2010, 12:01pm
Crumpler six million dollar home and a Lowepro TLZ mini for when I'm riding my bike.

TimCz
03-04-2010, 12:08pm
I have 3 bags that i regularly use depending on what im doing.

For years i used a lowepro mini trekker - could generally fit my camera with wide angle attatched, my 70-200, some lee filters and a 50mm prime. Was fantastic, great back straps, nice weight and cheap too.

Aside from that i had a crumpler seven million dollar home, which i use when i just want to take my camera, and maybe another prime lens (walks in the city etc).

Recently i picked up a steal on ebay - a nature trekker AW for $90 brand new. Its become my main bag now for trips when i want to take a lot more gear. Couldnt recommend it more!

katiedransfield
04-04-2010, 5:35pm
I use a Lowepro Dry Zone 100. Small enough not to be too bulky and waterproof. I'm on boats a lot and have been known to get stuck in a storm or two. Always happy to know that if ever necessary my bag and my gear will float...not sure how I would find it in the storm but the idea is there. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

I also use a bum bag for trekking to keep essentials in e.g. spare batteries/memory cards/filters, so I don't have to carry the full lot of equipment over long distances.

grnis200
04-04-2010, 10:12pm
I use a LowePro Flipside 30 for my modest bit of gear. I tend to carry my camera&lens of choice so I don't miss anything. I like that I can carry everything and a light tripod and still be confortable. It's safe (flipside access) around the city and relatively inconspicious.

For those not aware, the flipside is accessed by using the belt strap, undoing one shoulder strap and twisiting it around for access.

kingwheatie
08-04-2010, 9:58pm
I use a Think Tank Airport Acceleration V2.0 backpack
carries two gripped d300's side by side 300mm/2.8, 70-200mm/2.8
17-55mm/2.8 and a 10-17mm fishy with a couple of spots left over for
odds and ends. The shoulder straps can be stored away behind two big
flaps on the back and has a handle on the side turning it into a carry case.
I use this to transport my gear and then load up a Think Tank
modular speed belt when im shooting.

Natsky
12-04-2010, 6:11pm
I love the Kata range and have backpack, sling, shoulder and bum bags. The Think Tank range impresses too.

Doing a wedding I have a bumbag with spare batteries, cards, lens cloth etc and a 50mm just in case I have a lens disaster. I then have a Black Rapid double Strap with a camera on each hip. My backpack stays in my car with backup flash, lenses, tripods etc. I don't have to lug a bag around or worry about where I left it and whether somebody has tripped over it or worse, stolen it.

Dylfish
12-04-2010, 9:32pm
I Use a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW and it does the job well. Very study and comfortable. When I was os I could carry my body, 2 lenses, 2 flashes and other accessories with no issues (keep in mind one of the lenses was the 100-400)

rufus
13-04-2010, 5:51pm
I've also just got my hands on a lowepro mini trekker, and very happy with it. Comfy and waterproof, with lots of hiddey pockets that you forget where everything is.:th3:

LJG
14-04-2010, 6:53am
I use a backpack. It is great for when I'm out hiking, but that's about it! I find it a bit awkward most other times. It is also quite small and even though I don't have a lot of gear, doesn't fit it all anyway (like my flash unit). My son uses a top loader and loves his, but then again he also has a Nikon, so I can't really vouch for his taste anyway haha. I'm thinking that I really need 2, the backpack for walking and a top loader that carries all my gear for other times.

J3N24
16-04-2010, 7:56pm
i use a Lowepro Fastpack 250 which is good enough for my needs :)

pgbphotographytas
19-04-2010, 12:02pm
Just looking at one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Grey-CRUMPLER-Six-Million-Dollar-Home-Camera-DSLR-Bag_W0QQitemZ160423644577QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item2559fe8da1

Linnie
20-04-2010, 7:28am
Just looking at one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Grey-CRUMPLER-Six-Million-Dollar-Home-Camera-DSLR-Bag_W0QQitemZ160423644577QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item2559fe8da1

I have that exact one, I love it! I went to Melb to get mine and it was $155 so your getting a good price on that one too :th3:

jgtsai
20-04-2010, 9:35am
If I need to have my laptop, Tamrac Adventure 9.
If I don't, Lowepro Fastpack 100.

exmrblonde
20-04-2010, 7:08pm
1st bag was a Nova 1AW.
Moved on to the 'beast' - mini-trekker AW..

LOVE it !!!

linden
20-04-2010, 7:23pm
I use a Lowepro Adventurer
But it's too small, and I will definately be upgrading soon

Jeanette
20-04-2010, 7:35pm
I've also just got my hands on a lowepro mini trekker, and very happy with it. Comfy and waterproof, with lots of hiddey pockets that you forget where everything is.:th3:

don't you just love hide and seek :)

i just bought a little lowepro passport yesterday and sooo pleased with it for my needs
new and not alot of stuff..... it is a start :) and looking after my gear :)

Phil Mac
21-04-2010, 12:16pm
Anyone know if there is anywhere in Brisbane where I could look at the Kata bags?

Cheers

aln
22-04-2010, 2:08pm
Tamrac Adventure 7 is what i have and suits my needs of hiking and not being too big
I was looking at other bags also but you just cant go past the chest and waist straps for hiking
Upgrade will be required later but it will depend on my needs then

dowden photography
22-04-2010, 2:39pm
I have a number of bags, I've got a day trip one when going to the AFL, its a Crumpler backpack, very good, easy to wear all day and holds 2 lenses and a body plus my laptop.
I've also got my girlfriends backpack which holds 2 bodies, around 7 lenses and some kits stuff as well and 2 flashes.

Also have a rolling case, tried to build one, kept on failing so went out and bought the Crumpler one for about $500. Nothing beats it when I have uni or an assignment.
Holds everything I own.

Redgum
22-04-2010, 2:56pm
I have a number of bags, I've got a day trip one when going to the AFL, its a Crumpler backpack, very good, easy to wear all day and holds 2 lenses and a body plus my laptop.

I'm curious? Why do you take your laptop to the AFL? :)

dowden photography
22-04-2010, 3:04pm
I'm curious? Why do you take your laptop to the AFL? :)

I take it to give me something to do while I wait for the MCC gates to open. then I have at least 2 hours before the game and with internode wifi there I can surf the net, edit photos or watch a movie before the game.

Redgum
22-04-2010, 3:07pm
I take it to give me something to do while I wait for the MCC gates to open. then I have at least 2 hours before the game and with internode wifi there I can surf the net, edit photos or watch a movie before the game.
Ahh!! That's why we follow League - more interesting - don't need a laptop. :D

dowden photography
22-04-2010, 3:12pm
Ahh!! That's why we follow League - more interesting - don't need a laptop. :D

Hey I get to the football sometimes 3 hours early just so I can get a good seat and watch a great game.
I was talking about while I was waiting for the game, of cause because the AFL is clearly a better sport (action, bigger crowds, better class of person on and off the field).

Plus in our game you don't go backwards to go forwards.

simonr23
23-04-2010, 9:33pm
i use a nikon/indy over shoulder satchel. fairly comfy and holds all my gear easily.

Kevin M
26-04-2010, 5:03pm
yes I have had (& still have) a lowe pro backpack for years & found it great for hiking when I lived in Atherton & Mareeba but my most recent purchase which is a more over the shoulder type arrangement is far easier to use on the go.

dmmphau
27-04-2010, 9:00pm
i have a lowepro slingshot 200aw and a crumpler soup n salad with bucket. i use the slingshot if i know i will walk for a long distance and the crumpler when i know i can safely leave the bag in an area while taking shots.

FallingHorse
27-04-2010, 9:10pm
At the moment I have a Lower Pro slingshot 100 which suits me for now.

tomtom1
27-04-2010, 10:42pm
Domke F2 shoulder bag, way easier to work out of.

Also have the optional 'backpack' straps for this when it's going to be carried for a bit longer. They actually work, but don't replace a hiking pack.

Blueywa
30-04-2010, 10:13pm
Apart from a Hama packpack, and some small over the shoulder types I have also used a military style harness; its excellent for walk about type outings, with lots of large pockets and water bottle storage, as well as some smaller ones ideal for filters and batteries etc.
I bought a 'modern' version which is made of good strong newage material.
I believe its currently used by some units of the ADF, so really is bullet proof and comfortable.

If you really need to, you can wear a back pack as well without it getting in the way.

debs
01-05-2010, 10:12am
I have a Canon backpack.

kazdez
01-05-2010, 11:33am
Maybe I'm just a girl, but I have bags for all types of situations. But still never found the right bag for me. As a female, I have a Jill-E bag, a backpack (Tamrac,) a satchel type bag and large handbag. But for the weight that I carry I still need to find one better. Using a Nikon D90 with battery pack. I don't like bags that look like camera bags ( that is a female thing) but I need one that I can use over shoulder, crossing the body, with top opening, and a place for my purse and phone. Not to much to ask, but very hard to find.
Karen

rborsje
01-05-2010, 8:58pm
I went for a Lowenpro Slingshot 200 AW but even that's getting too cramped for the new 70-300mm Nikkor. Damn! :action:I can pack in the D700, 17-35mm, 24-120mm SB-600, filters and that's all. Comfortable though, easy to carry and easy to access the camera on it's own.

FeedMeTrance
03-05-2010, 4:35pm
lowepro backback :D

birdie
04-05-2010, 11:25am
My bags have been:
Tamrac Aero 80 - Sold (couldn't fit my 70-200 f2.8L)
Lowepro Computrekker Plus Rolling - Sold (swapped with ehor for my current bag, was just a bit too big and heavy... though I did love it)
Lowepro Classified 250AW - Current Bag

EDIT: Oh and I have a light stand bag, and a small bag that my softbox came in... I'd like to get another bag just for my lighting gear and grip equipment... maybe i can DIY roller bag for that :-)

Wouldn't mind getting maybe a Lowepro Vertex 100 or 200, and also have been considering building my own custom roller bag after reading the DIY thread here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=22914)

bigdazzler
04-05-2010, 11:49am
Ive got hard cases for studio shoots, a larger backpack for travel (including macbook compartment), a LOWEPRO Slingshot 350AW for walkabout missions, and a LOWEPRO Nova 200AW for just about everything else. Im well covered.

DaVanti
09-05-2010, 12:04pm
Hi Folks, new to this and first post for me. I got the Canon backpack thrown in when I bought the camera, but only had one lens to start and the backpack seemed a bit excessive so bought a smallish Lowerpro shoulder bag. It seems to be of good quality and perfect for what I wanted untill I got the bigger lens. I tried to avoid using the backpack as I wasnt happy with the way the camera fitted, the body seemed too big for the position it was in and put a lot of strain on the zip so I chopped up the partitions a bit and made a couple more mods to move the camera further into the thing and now its quite good. I think the quality of the bag is fairly average so will more than likely start looking for a quality bag when I can scrape up the funds for another lens.

Cheers

Brian500au
09-05-2010, 5:43pm
Hi folks, over the years I have had a variety of camera bags. I started off with lowepro backpacks, and I still have my original lowepro mini trekker AW. This is a great back pack if all you need to do is carry camera gear. I experimented with the Lowepro computrekker but found it just too big. I also have an American brand Kinesis back pack and for serious hiking with heavy gear these are a great back pack. For work I use the crumpler barge for my laptop - but it can also take camera equipment. Now my everyday carry around is the Domke brand. I have both the J1 and the F2 and find them excellent for the room and convenience. I have also experimented with the Billingham brand found them just a little bit too expensive for what they are (although they are excellent quality bags).

Robert Horler
09-05-2010, 7:17pm
Lowepro 400awFlipside. Only had it a short time and love it. The fact that it opens from the 'inside' makes it feel more secure. Turn it around at the waist to change lens without taking it off. Keeps it off the ground too. Fantastic

jimeos
12-05-2010, 5:34pm
I use Lowepro. A computrekker backpack and a nova 190 shoulder bag. The backpack for offroad and the shoulder for weddings, parties etc.

maddutchman
12-05-2010, 5:49pm
lowepro slingshot 200

Xebadir
13-05-2010, 11:26pm
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW...seems to be a few of these going around.
I was very impressed when I managed to fit: D300, D40, 50mm, 70-300mm, 10-20mm, SB600, Filters, cleaning stuff, a video camera, plus spare batteries and a bunch of other odds and ends and do it all comfortably. Really a practical design with enough carry space for me.

Jeanette
14-05-2010, 10:05am
just to add. with the passport sling lowepro i have
although on the SA meet i did get a little stirring from a member who shall remain nameless.. cough lol ... said it looked like a handbag ...:D
well for me that is great .. it is a blend of both .. protecting my gear as well as being able to take my water and purse and a few extras.. unzip the expander for more things if needed..
amazing what you can get in to a little bag.. perfect for me

jbee
14-05-2010, 10:30am
Lowepro Fastpac 200 - because I can fit in my camera, charger, second lens, Netbook, Tomtom, wallet, passport, mobile phone and a book to read for travelling, and it's cabin baggage sized. I have however added stainless steel zip pulls to so it can be easily secured with padlocks, as the cord pulls it comes with are nice but not very securable.

edgewing
14-05-2010, 10:30am
I use two backpacks, one for my DSLR and another for my SLR, I have a hard case for both my medium format and for my large format beasties. I think it was me that said it was a handbag Jeanette :)

nwoody
16-05-2010, 10:35pm
dakine sequence. fits the lot, comfortable to carry and has all the needed accessories to carry protect and resist the wather

pgbphotographytas
17-05-2010, 8:08am
I am really glad to see this thread is still going, some interesting results in the poll :)

MTV
17-05-2010, 11:24am
Just my two cents:

I was using a Lowepro shoulder bag but recently needed a slightly bigger one to accomodate a few bits and pieces that were upgraded (and, sigh, therefore bigger...) so looked around and opted for a Crumpler 7 million dollar home as it doesn't scream "I'm a camera bag!" like the lowepro's tend to.

skinut
18-05-2010, 6:03pm
The first bag I really liked was the Lowepro Mini-Trekker AW. Thought this was the "ants pants" until I purchased another Lowepro, the Slingshot 200 AW.
This I quickly realised was too small for the gear I wanted to carry so I up-sized to the Slingshot 300 AW.
After a few outings with that bag I noticed it was causing a few problems for my old back :(, Reverting to the smaller bag was not a solution :confused013. So in the end I opted to go back to the Lowepro Mini-Trekker. This I find to be a well balanced bag for my old back (even with a reasonable load of lenses on board) ;)

Of course there have been a few other bags along the way and I am sure there are a few better ones out there that I am yet to find and try.

Michael

Craggles
19-05-2010, 4:12pm
Just recieved my Kata 3N1-20 backpack / sling bag and think its fantastic. So much room compared to the Lowpro Slingshot I had previously. Very nice build quality and fits my gripped 50D perfectly.

Watchamacallit
19-05-2010, 5:31pm
Feel out of place here with everyone having a Lowerpro (pretty much...)
Have a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar (Shoulder) Bag. Plenty of room for a session with spare room.

Blueywa
19-05-2010, 8:24pm
I just received my New Lowepro Slingshot 302AW;
All I can really say is "fantastic" - it easily holds 2x bodies [1xwith lens attached], SB-800,4x lenses, lens hoods,lots of AA batteries,2x spare EN-EL3e,4x memory cards, card readers,and there is still room for passport, wallet, etc,.
This could become my primary bag.
Cheers, Ray.
;)

James Axford
19-05-2010, 9:40pm
Feel out of place here with everyone having a Lowerpro (pretty much...)
Have a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar (Shoulder) Bag. Plenty of room for a session with spare room.

don't feel out of place... I really think the lowerpro stands out as an obvious photographer which is not good a lot of the time.
where a crumpler does not.
probably an equal product but just doesn't have that dorky feel :)

Craggles
21-05-2010, 5:19pm
don't feel out of place... I really think the lowerpro stands out as an obvious photographer which is not good a lot of the time.
where a crumpler does not.
probably an equal product but just doesn't have that dorky feel :)

I dont know, the crumpler logo stands out to me, I usually spot it and instantly assume its a camera.

So dont put your bag down, I'm gonna steal it :P

Schmenz
22-05-2010, 8:26pm
I have one of the lowepro slingbacks (200aw i think?) but when i had the 5d and a 30 in it with a few lenses, it gets way too heavy on one shoulder.

just picked up a Vanguard up rise 48. (mainly as it had one the tech awards this year and was much better priced than the lowepro ones).

i love the orange interior, and it expands which allows you to have you long lenses stored vertically instead of horizontally creating a lot more room.

the only disadvantage of this to some of the other lowepro style ones is that the top section (which can be opened separately or with the whole compartment isnt securely attached, it is just another horizontal divider. The lowepro ones also seem to have a few more little pockets to store memory cards / filters etc.

oh and the other annoying thing is the raincoat is the stuffing for one of the shoulder padding areas. Which doesnt sit quite the same as the other side, so I took it out and put it in the front pocket.

But for half the price of some lowepro models I am not complaining.

Schmenz
22-05-2010, 8:52pm
oops double post (havent found delete button yet!)

You3andme
22-05-2010, 10:55pm
A thoughtful gift from my daughter sees me stepping out with a Lowepro Adventura 140. It is compact but accommodates my Pentax k-x and two lenses.

gh0st
26-05-2010, 2:54pm
Tenba - small one for day trips around.
Tenba - large one with laptop space for longer trips.

Both are backpacks, I found them more comfortable with the heavier setup.

wiggles
26-05-2010, 4:39pm
dakine sequence. fits the lot, comfortable to carry and has all the needed accessories to carry protect and resist the wather

Hey Nwoody can you please tell me if you bought it in australia? Iv'e been looking for these bags for a long time I thought they didn't sell them to us aussies :) Id appreciate it if you could give me the website that you bought it from if you have one thanks

phsu
26-05-2010, 9:24pm
I use Lowepro SlingShot 200AW.
Quite happy with it. The only issue is there is no tripod holder.

bellangry
27-05-2010, 9:39pm
I use a Lowepro backpack that holds all my gear when travelling. I attacked all the Lowepro badges and tags with a black marker pen. It may help a bit. I am looking at getting a small individual bag to go walking with and to leave beside me in the truck.

newsonb
01-06-2010, 10:26pm
I have a Crumpler 7 Million shoulder bag and love it.

Gemini2261
01-06-2010, 10:49pm
Just purchased a Lowepro Flipside 400 & have to say that it is certainly well made & comfortable when strapped & loaded. Holds a heap, can get heavy but it sits comfortably on yr back. The raincoat works well, got caught in a downpour in a granite gully yesterday & everything stayed dry.

falcon
01-06-2010, 11:16pm
I use a Tamrac Expedition 7x and like it a lot. I can carry all my gear and the waist strap really helps distribute the weight. I highly recommend it.

richardb
02-06-2010, 12:02am
Carry my stuff in sling bag KATA 3N20, sadly no MacBkPro 15" fit into it .

scottid
02-06-2010, 12:02pm
i use the lowe pro minitrecker, which i want to upgrade to something with wheels,
also if im carrying my lighting gear i put the mini trecker in a wheeling suitcase

m00g
03-06-2010, 11:06am
Domke F-3x. Fits 1Ds II, 17-40 f/4l UWA, 85 f/1.2L and 100mm macro - perfect for that day outing. Easily folded and great for travel. Does get a bit heavy, being a shoulder bag though.

RebelT2
03-06-2010, 6:24pm
i use just plain old Lowepro fastpack100.

fairy bombs
04-06-2010, 8:33pm
I have just got a 'vanity bag' from a specialist bag shop in the shopping mall,it was fairly expensive around $55,i think it is 'skyways' brand,well built,water resistant 15 year garrantte,fits my 50d and 17-55 f2.8 very well with room for my ex 430 flash and even a 60 mm macro,lots of pockets,I am really happy with it,will post a pic of it,its a maroon colour(a winner for sure!)I have put some extra padding in the form of off cuts from upholstery shop inside.

I also like it as it does'nt say 'expensive camera gear inside' like some other dedicated camera bags may do.

cheers FB

Leah88
04-06-2010, 10:07pm
I have the Lowepro slingshot 300, it is convenient and comfortable to wear & I do not have to put it down to access my gear. :)

flash
08-06-2010, 2:27pm
Inverse 200AW for me, only just bought it so I'm not a good reliable source for product recognition, I looked hard at the slingshot AW200, once I get all my lenses things may change??

beckett5361
08-06-2010, 2:37pm
LowPro but I find it carries too much gear and gets heavy and I often use my very small LowPro backpack and have the toment of what to leave out.

Kantankerous
12-06-2010, 12:15am
I currently use a Lowepro Flipside 300 but on the lookout to switch to the Computrekker AW mainly to cover my travel needs.

Psyentist
12-06-2010, 1:24am
Crumpler 8mill. Lots of room, made excellently, looks great. I like it a lot.

However, now I'm thinking I should get a bag that can cart my future tripod as well. Just not sure whether I should upgrade to the Brazillion dollar home or get a backpack, the latter of which aren't as functional nor look anywear near as good, however would be much, much kinder on my back and shoulder .....

mikew09
12-06-2010, 7:13pm
I have a Lowepro Slingshot that I think I ahve outgrown. Now I really need something that has some external storage, a tripod carry point and can take laptop.
The slingshot is a great back and it has served me well over the last 8 months or so but once I work out what I want to replace it with will be on the market.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4692316193_2cdc96b4ba.jpg

Be looking at the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW - any experience / comments on the backpack from other users would be apreciated.

Mike

piXelatedEmpire
12-06-2010, 8:57pm
I use a LowePro Slingshot 200AW (http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-200%20AW,2035.htm).. love it!

beaco
14-06-2010, 4:59pm
Has anyone used a neoprene skin for a dslr and single lens? I've seen a couple on ebay but never seen one in a shop. I was thinking it could come in useful for a small bit of protection inside a standard (non-camera) bag.

nobbs
17-06-2010, 8:48am
I was using a Qpac (? not sure if thats the brand name) sling type pack, it fit most of my gear until I bought an extra lens. One thing I found annoying about the size fo the bag was that there was nowhere to put my phone/keys/wallet which is annoying when out and about; I didnt feel comfortable with stuff in my pockets and found that I didnt enjoy what I was doing as much.

Last week I bought a Lowepro fastpack 200 which suits my needs to a tee... I love the storage pocket up top which can store my wallet/phone/keys, even my small optex tripod which I carry around when I dont want to carry my manfrotto

This is my first post on this forum and hope to contribute as well as learn as much as I can. :food04:

Alex.

ryshhh
17-06-2010, 11:53am
Using a Fastpack 250 and loving it. The padding is very comfortable and I often take it travelling! The top compartment is very useful for just putting in random things.

It fits:
7D
28-135 w hood
10-22 w hood
50 w hood
270ex
GorillaPod SLR Zoom

Plus my 13" MacBook Pro and an A4 notebook.

Im sure I can squeeze more in. :)

Bananaman
29-06-2010, 8:24pm
Recently upgraded to a 7 MDH (from a 5 MDH).

If my missus would let me I've got my eye on the Sinking Barge Deluxe for day trips, but I can't get away for long enough at the moment!

Paul G
30-06-2010, 11:52am
Hey Nwoody can you please tell me if you bought it in australia? Iv'e been looking for these bags for a long time I thought they didn't sell them to us aussies :) Id appreciate it if you could give me the website that you bought it from if you have one thanks

A couple of places to try here in Aus are Surf Stitch in Sydney and Altitude Sports in Melbourne.

gaidin
30-06-2010, 6:52pm
Recently upgraded to a 7 MDH (from a 5 MDH).

If my missus would let me I've got my eye on the Sinking Barge Deluxe for day trips, but I can't get away for long enough at the moment!

I did it the other way around (had the 7MDH and decided to add a smaller shoulder bag for a quick couple hour outing) but have just found that the 5MDH is really too tiny to be practical at all. Even removing the grip its still a squeeze to get much in there :)

Mr Zee
30-06-2010, 7:07pm
Just got the lowpro 202 slingshot today.
It sold me on the idea of how it slips from being on your back, to rotating under your arm, for it to come to rest right in front of you (just beneath your chest), for easy acess without having to take it off.
Also has plenty of room for a beginner just starting out, with room to grow.

Bananaman
01-07-2010, 7:31pm
Yep, that's what I had previously. Fit my 450D+grip with 30mm sigma, nifty 50 and flash.

Tjfrnds
02-07-2010, 12:06am
I use a lowepro flipside 300 and love it. Fits everything and is extremely comfortable.

mitgonk
02-07-2010, 1:01am
i got a tamrac adventure 7 currently, but find that it only just fits my 550d with 18-200mm lens.

will have to upgrade once i get my 100-400mm, probably to the lowepro flipside 300, as it should fit the 100-400 mounted as well as i really like the fact it opens from the side that's flat to your back, i do alot of travelling, and this seems like a really good security benefit!

though it lacks the personal space compartment that my current backpack has! (lowepro flipside 400 AW?)

mickyj
04-07-2010, 10:48pm
2x backpacks. How the heck do you make everything you need fit into one?
I try to rationalise and carry only what I need, then the thing I end up needing, is what I left at home :)

RRRoger
05-07-2010, 1:14am
I've tried many bags including the LowePro shoulder and back packs.
I always come back to the Tamrac.
My favorite is the small shoulder bag.
I also have the 8 and 12 that I take to shoot Events.
They stay in the trunk of the car.

I just upgraded the LowePro back pack to a Tamrac CyberPack 8.
It holds a lot more stuff and is much better organized but weighs a ton when filled.

Most of the time I hike with one camera and mounted lens only. It hangs from a Black Rapid strap.

Adrian Fischer
06-07-2010, 12:10pm
Ok so I felt like a tosser initially but I wore my RS DR-1 Double Strap (Black Rapid) to a wedding on the weekend. I wasnt an official shooter but was asked by the B&G to take candids. I wore it under my suit so it wasnt so obvious apart from a largish lump on each hip were the cameras sat. I had my D300 with 70-200 on my right hip and a D80 with 28-70 (Sigma) on the left hip. I was initially quite self concious but after watching the tog walking around with an assitant behind him with a spare lens at the ready I thought what the heck and just went for it. The only hassle was if you went to sit down. You had to position the cameras so you didnt sit on them or bang them on chairs. The cameras sat comfortable on the hips and were easy to get to even though they were under jacket. Only issue I found was with the camera on the left you had to hold the camera awkwardly to go into portrait mode because of how the strap attaches to the base of the camera. Would I do it again..Yep..did I get some weird looks...yep...at the end of the day did I care...nope...After a while people gave you a wide berth perhaps thinking I knew what I was doing. Image is everything. ;) I should have got a shot of me in the gear. Maybe next time.

andylo
06-07-2010, 3:39pm
Lowepro Flipside 400AW - I think it deserve to win the best ideal ever!

Wish they do have the 500AW available to the public, or even a 600AW :p

AdamJL
06-07-2010, 9:37pm
Main gear is in a Vertex 200. Filters and sundries are in a Lowepro reporter/shoulder bag. 500 f/4 and 300 2.8 are in hard cases (300 in the original Canon, 500 in a Peli/Storm Case)
Other "bits" in a crumpler and another Lowepro backpack...

I've got too many backpacks :/

St Veronus
11-07-2010, 10:03pm
We have a Crumpler 5 Million for our D90 w/ 18-105 & 35f1.8. Works a treat for our needs. Tried a friends 4 Million first, worked okay if it was just the D90 and one of the lenses. It works good on the shoulder or slung across the body.

djvkool
11-07-2010, 10:14pm
I love backpack, shoulder bag I found it too uncomfortable, because all my bags have notebook compartment.

Pixley
12-07-2010, 12:24pm
I am new to photography - so this is my first bag - but I purchased a Lowepro Flipside 200. I don't have that much gear and I wanted to be "handsfree" so to speak as any time I am out with a camera I am also out with my children (and I need to chase after toddlers) and a backpack felt much better than a shoulder bag flapping around.

RaoulIsidro
12-07-2010, 4:00pm
I get my gear from Camera shops since I live in the Sydney CBD where there are heaps of stores and shopping malls. I can bring my camera gear and test it on the display right there and then and decide to buy. I find it risky to buy off an internet site with just pictures and be disappointed when the goods arrive by courier. I use Lowepro more often than any brand.

amexav
12-07-2010, 5:48pm
I am new to photography - so this is my first bag - but I purchased a Lowepro Flipside 200. I don't have that much gear and I wanted to be "handsfree" so to speak as any time I am out with a camera I am also out with my children (and I need to chase after toddlers) and a backpack felt much better than a shoulder bag flapping around.

I am in the same situation - I am thinking of getting rid of the Crumpler 5MDH and getting a backpack.

2cr4ck
19-07-2010, 7:28pm
I'm using slingshot 200 from lowepro and pelican case 1510

Bananaman
19-07-2010, 11:28pm
I am in the same situation - I am thinking of getting rid of the Crumpler 5MDH and getting a backpack.

I too was in the same situation and craved a backpack, but didn't have the $$$

I wound up trading my 5MDH for a 7MDH which has all the space I need for the moment!
Still going to get a backpack when I head out for longer trips (I can justify it then, i can't now!)

BecM
20-07-2010, 9:23am
I am a bit obsessive about this. I now have a small Crumpler bag for 'just the camera' occasions, a Crumpler 5MDH for the occasions when no walking is involved and a Lowepro 202 slingshot for walking occasions.

Regnis
20-07-2010, 9:53am
I have both the Lowepro fastpack 250 and the Lowepro computrekker AW. going to get rid of the latter as I don't have enough equipment to justify keeping it

Darinpix
24-07-2010, 10:36am
LowePro AW Stealth Reporter - love the name! - lives in the boot, though, because it is insanely heavy when full. So when shooting, I have the camera and a Shootsac (http://www.shootsac.com/) with 2-3 lenses in it. Relatively light, and allows me to change lenses quickly and easily. This means I don't need to carry two bodies all the time - which rocks!

Arg
24-07-2010, 5:48pm
I have Domke shoulder bags, very happy with them.

Hi, I'm interested in Domke. Do you have the Domke shoulder pads? Or do you go without a pad?

Arg
24-07-2010, 8:20pm
The survey shows waist packs (bum bags) to be quite unpopular. Is there a reason for that?

I have a shoulder bag but am looking to upgrade. I thought a waist pack made sense but now I wonder..

PS the survey tool percentages don't work, they add up to at least 120%

Arg
24-07-2010, 9:30pm
I have a 5MDH from the promotion and hated myself! Should have got the strap, more practical, now struggling to offload it! and don't want to hit Ebay either!! ARGH

Ended up buying a 8MDH and W&C, can't wait to get my hand on the W&C!

Sorry I have trouble with your abbrvs. 5MDH = 5 Million Dollar H....?
W&C = ......?

kyteflyer
25-07-2010, 7:03am
I have a 6 Million Dollar Home, and I HATE the Crumpler velcro which never wants to let go. That said, its an excellent size for my current needs, which arent a lot. Carries my K200D with 18-55, the Tamron 70-300 and the Pentax 35mm macro Limited, and theres still room for spare batteries, filters, my phone and my wallet. If I really can't decide which camera I want, I also take a snoot bag with the K-x and the Tamron 18-250. Usually the Crumpler and its contents are exactly what I want. but god, I hate that velcro.

calloyd
25-07-2010, 6:26pm
I used an ordinary backpack with a small shoulder bag, then decided to buy the Lowpro Slingshot 200 AW. I've used it a few times and found its a brilliant idea if one hasn't got boobs - or you're carrying a point and shoot. But a camera and 3 lenses on a day walk - ouch! I'm now using the backpack again, wondering who would like a camera bag for Christmas and still looking for a replacement which is light but gives enough protection to my gear.

ricktas
25-07-2010, 6:30pm
I recently sold my slingshot 200 to a friend, and bought one of the new Lowepro Passport shoulder bags. I have kept my large backpack. The passport is great, comfortable and can carry my D3, 2 lenses and flash easily. Good for when I don't need to cart all my gear with me.

rodeo550
26-07-2010, 9:06pm
I have just purchased a Lowepro Flipside 400 back pack. I also have a Canon EOS shoulder bag & Case Logic shoulder bag.The last two will be put into retirement, now that I have the back pack.

terry.langham
26-07-2010, 10:06pm
The survey shows waist packs (bum bags) to be quite unpopular. Is there a reason for that?

I have a shoulder bag but am looking to upgrade. I thought a waist pack made sense but now I wonder..

PS the survey tool percentages don't work, they add up to at least 120%

I have a waist pack at the moment and it is great for light loads, but fill it up and it keeps sliding down (would help if I had a bum to hold it up). I am looking to upgrade to a backpack but will keep the waist pack for when I don't need to carry everything.

The percentages don't add up cos the survey allows for multiple answers. ie I voted for sling packs and waist packs.

in2fx
27-07-2010, 3:49pm
I use two different bags, depending on what I want to take out with me.
Depends a lot whether I am walking, driving a car or riding a motorbike as to which bag I take as well.

Flipside 200 and contents of what I can fit in (spare battery, memory cards, notebook & pen not shown) when I can not decide what to leave behind :confused013
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs218.snc4/39219_475613410549_522110549_6557547_205522_n.jpg
My only gripe with this bag is that it does not have a waterproof cover, which would make it perfect for me.

Clips 120 and contents
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs160.snc4/37331_466824150549_522110549_6339112_961897_n.jpg

Lance B
04-08-2010, 6:06pm
I am using a Lowepro Flipside 400 to house my D700, 16-35 f4 VR, 24-70 f2.8 attached, 70-200 f2.8 VRII, 1.4x TCII, 2x TCIII and SB600 flash plus incidentals, like CF cards, 2 spare batteries, blower, Cokin ND grads, polarizer, lens cleaning etc. I also have a Lowepro lens case that I attach to the belt of the Flipside 400 to house my Nikon AFS300 f4 which makes for easy access when I want to switch quickly between the 300 and the 70-200, one being on the camera and one in the case. Or, I can put the 300 in the backpack and put either the 16-35 or 24-70 in the case and the other on the camera for easy switching between these two. With the lens case attached to the belt and with the camera around my neck, I can easily have the two most used lenses for a given situation within easy access.

The reason I like the Flipside 400 is that when you take it off and put it down, the outer side away from your back sits on the ground and therefore means that when you put it back on you do not get a dirty back! :)

Also, the natural way that to remove a back pack is with the shoulder strap which means that when you put them down the side of the back pack that faces up is the side that would normally be against your back and this is the side that you access the Flipside bags, not the outer side like most other backpacks. With normal backpacks, you would normally have to turn them over to access your gear, but the Flipside you do not, sort of like a turtle. ;)

As I pointed out above, this also means that you do not get a dirty back as you can with normal backpacks when placing them on the ground. With the belt strap done up and by removing a shoulder strap from your shoulder, you can also swing that bag around your waist without having to remove the backpack completely and you can access the camera gear that way. Another reason why the Flipside works so well. :)

I used this bag on my recent trip to Europe and the UK with all my Nikon gear listed above except for the 300 f4 and found it very comfortable even when on my back all day walking looking at the sights.

BecM
10-08-2010, 3:09pm
I recently sold my slingshot 200 to a friend, and bought one of the new Lowepro Passport shoulder bags. I have kept my large backpack. The passport is great, comfortable and can carry my D3, 2 lenses and flash easily. Good for when I don't need to cart all my gear with me.

Thanks Rick. I thought I had everything I needed in this department but thanks to you I now know I don't. This bag is perfect for traveling and ease of use. UGH do you ever have enough?

crafty1tutu
10-08-2010, 11:46pm
I have a roll along camera bag (not sure of the brand as I bought it off Ebay), but I love it and use it as carry on luggage when travelling by plane. I also have a back pack that I used when I only want to take a couple of lenses with me.

bigdazzler
11-08-2010, 10:44am
2 x hardcases
Large Backpack for travelling
Lowepro Nova 200AW shoulder bag
Lowepro Slingshot 350AW slingpack
Lowepro Slingshot 100AW slingpack

Pretty well covers me for every type of situation.

kaiser
11-08-2010, 11:17am
2 x hardcases for at home storage, in car storage and on location shoots where I can keep them close by.

Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 shoulder bag for general walkabout + laptop if required.

Think Tank modular set and or Cotton Carrier for when I get the courage to wear it out in public view :P

Osprey Talon backpack for trails / hiking / ultralight travel -a real harness - pack itself weighs 900grams, comfy - fits more than I need to carry. Sometimes combined with some of the Think tank bits n pieces.

Pixley
11-08-2010, 7:48pm
Despite replying that I have been using a backpack- I am quickly finding it too heavy for everyday use -so have just ordered a cheapie shoulder bag to take my camera and one other lens - will see how that pans out.

reneeandcraig
12-08-2010, 1:08pm
I just purcahsed a Lowepro Pro Runner 300AW and it fits all my gear and room for a bit more. It is perfect for my needs and was under $160.

joeyvaldezjr
17-08-2010, 1:00am
i have the lowepro versipack 200aw, very versatile indeed. You can use it as a top loader or side load from either side, very stylish and not too bulky. Has a tripod holder and all weather cover as well. You can also remove the divider for use as an ordinary backpack. Only downside is it does not have a laptop compartment. I recently bought a lens case for my 70-200 lens and attached it to this bag. It can now carry all my gears.

clipper79
18-08-2010, 12:10pm
Lowepro CompuRover AW for DSLR gears (mainly for work)
Billingham Alice (for street photography and travel)

timatah
18-08-2010, 6:33pm
Since i work in the surf industry, I decided to get the Dakine Sequence Backpack (matches my luggage :))
They make great bags.

Psyentist
18-08-2010, 7:46pm
Anyone here own a Crumpler Brazillion Dollar Home?

And can report on whether or not they've taken it on-board as hand luggage. Used to have an 8MDH and that used to be fine ... debating whether to get one and avoid unnecessary airport hassles

Captured frame
18-08-2010, 10:40pm
Lowpro Toploader 75AW and Tamrac belt system with individual pouches,I have a shoulder problem so I find it spreads the weight around better and gives me easy access,Lowpro Outback 200 also a belt pack,Tamrac Ultra Pro 17 - a large sturdy bag for storing all my gear with a all weather cover it`s quite good and can be configured well to hold a lot of gear and has plenty of compartments for all the small items with easy access.

Arg
10-09-2010, 12:39pm
Despite replying that I have been using a backpack- I am quickly finding it too heavy for everyday use -so have just ordered a cheapie shoulder bag to take my camera and one other lens - will see how that pans out.

That should pan out well. I just got a Domke F3X Super Compact Ruggedwear shoulder bag and I am amazed at how light, compact, cavernous, yet soft and form-fitting it is. In fact even if I took only my body and one lens for an outing, I would happily use the same bag with no sense of overkill. Suits my gear and personality just fine! :)

BUGSnBIRDS
11-09-2010, 9:19pm
I have a Kata PL220, But i also want a slightly smaller Crumpler Karachi.

How long have you had the bee bag. I have been looking at it though a very good independent review I found didn't rate the straps as very comfortable. Loved the rest of the bag but the straps were most uncomfortable they said......your experience thus far? Do you go on day trips with it?

Tossing up between this and Lowepro flipside series.

Allan Ryan
13-09-2010, 8:24pm
the only bag i have is the Lowepro Sligshot 100AW
it's great - easy to access fits the 50D with a 24-105 lens on
and 2 other lens - 70-300 tramron and a smaller one
flash and batteries etc. in the top section.

only problem is, with a larger lens its tight to close
but very happy with it. :)

PS I don't know if the 50D will fit when i get a battery grip..

ZedEx
13-09-2010, 8:27pm
I have a Lowepro ProRunner X450. It's a combo backpack/rolling bag for airport use. Really nice bag, could not be happier :) Fits a LOT (several bodies, several lenses/flashes accessories etc/laptop yada yada

ryp
13-09-2010, 10:13pm
Just got me a Domke F-3x in Olive - pretty cool, fits the 50D gripped; 18-200 lens attached with a 10-24 in one of the pockets inside. Now I gotta buy more accessories to fill up the bag...:rolleyes:

Rod038
13-09-2010, 10:44pm
I have a Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW and it suits me fine at this stage. I like it because I don't have to put it down to get my Camara out of it.

peterking
14-09-2010, 11:10pm
I have just retired my Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW in favour of a KATA 3N1 30.

Very happy.

pgbphotographytas
15-09-2010, 8:00am
I now have a Canon branded backpack to carry my Nikon :eek:

Dan Gamble
15-09-2010, 8:07am
I now have a Canon branded backpack to carry my Nikon :eek:

I was advised that Rule No#1 is to make sure you have as little branding (advertising of the contents) on your cases as possible. Makes the bag less obvious to would-be thieves.

But, with you being a Nikon user, maybe you think if thieves see you have a Canon that they won't bother? hehe!! :D

pgbphotographytas
15-09-2010, 8:20am
I was advised that Rule No#1 is to make sure you have as little branding (advertising of the contents) on your cases as possible. Makes the bag less obvious to would-be thieves.

But, with you being a Nikon user, maybe you think if thieves see you have a Canon that they won't bother? hehe!! :D

Yes I agree branding is bad on bags, it was part of the deal when I got my D3000 but the bag they were meant to give away with it they had ran out of so I got this one instead, I am trying to find something to cover the logo with at the moment but the colour of the bag is hard to match :(

serpentinekiss
15-09-2010, 6:31pm
I just have a little nondescript shoulder bag I currently use, but I'm looking to get a backpack. I've heard that the Kata brand is good, and through this thread I just looked up Dakine which looks quite nice as well. Now I'm not so sure!

calloyd
17-09-2010, 11:03pm
I had little retail therapy this afternoon and bought a Lowepro Versapack 200 AW. It has 2 main padded compartments with the bottom section easily taking camera and 3 lens (one on camera), a waistbelt strap, sternum strap, tripod strap, all weather cover, strap to hold jacket under pack and few extra pockets for odds and ends. Best of all it's light and well balanced so I didn't feel as if I was carrying a huge sack of potatoes around all afternoon. Brilliant :D

Mick B
26-09-2010, 3:53pm
I use a Lowepro Nova 190 AW shoulder bag. It has plenty of room at the moment for my 500D with 2 lenses and will still be big enough when Santa gives me a new flash.

Mick

abitfishy
26-09-2010, 3:56pm
I ended up purchasing a Lowepro Slingshot 200 which is great. Fits D90 with 50-135, plus my 17-50, 50mm, SB600, batteries, hoods, sunnies, phone etc. Its small enough that its easy to deal with, and with the camera and one lens around my neck its not too heavy to keep on my back with on location but moving around shoots in the city.

The only disadvantage is you can't add too much more personal belongings etc and I sometimes feel I'd like to take my tripod/lightstand and/or laptop or crunch my jacket up into it if I need to remove it. Therefore I've also now bought (but not yet received) a Computrekker AW which looks like it will fit the bill well. It will fit a lot more than my kit has in it plus laptop and has the advantage that at only 1.54kg its not an overly big or heavy bag (I don't think) to take half loaded or without the laptop.

geoffsta
26-09-2010, 5:03pm
I spent $30.00 at SuperCheap and bought a hard case that held one smaller inside then another smaller one still inside that.
The big one I got some soft rubber and shaped it, then glued in some velvet. It holds my two cameras and two lenses. The middle holds the chargers and all the cables, and my other two lenses. The small one holds my little notebook and a mouse so I can veiw my photos as I go.

wazonthehill
27-09-2010, 7:33am
I use a big back pack when I want everything, but maint a slingshot 350, love it.

got a kati 3ni-33, just does not do it for me, too hard to get everything else other than camera out of it

la lumiere
27-09-2010, 8:04am
I'm new to this and don't have much gear to even put in a bag. Looked at a Lowepro top loading bag was a little amazed at cost (I told you I was new to this!). I saw one on ebay 2nd hand with weather cover, harness etc and will fit my wish list 70-200 lens. Paid $50 in new condition so rapt. Thought it would be a good design for a/ lugging around in the car, and b/ hopefully good to take bush when horse or motorbike riding- haven't tried that yet- but looking forward to it.

dredi1975
30-09-2010, 1:59pm
Ive got a LowePro Fastpack 350, fits my camera, 3 lenses, filters, gorillapod, 17inch laptop, laptop cables, battery charger, my rain jacket, some food and drink, torch, blower and manfrotto 55xpro tripod attached under flap cover (it doesnt have dedicated tripod holder unfortunatelly)....all together 12kg but very comfortable, even riding bike....and LowePro top load bag for going out and about,
very usefull stuff!

Chinook
30-09-2010, 2:52pm
I have a shoulder type just now. The waist ones sound good trouble is I don't wear a belt much so nothing to attach it to. Good topic btw.

Tonym
02-10-2010, 9:15pm
I have a Lowepro Nova 4 AW shoulder bag which is a good size for a 50D and 2 tele zoom lenses and a teleconverter and charger, also a Canon large backpack which handles the 50d with the 100-400L series attached and another lens and charger. I also have a Lowepro toploader zoom 75AW and it takes the 50D with the 18-200IS attached and little else.

ncbuxton
03-10-2010, 12:00pm
Slingshot 300AW from Lowepro but looking at a Kata Bumblebee 220 to allow for a laptop and long zoom (200-400mm). Trouble with travel, the Dash 8 aircraft from our neck of the woods only allow 4kg cabin baggage -and I don't like my camera going in the hold!

abitfishy
03-10-2010, 1:11pm
Received my Computrekker today, nice bag, however it is designed for 'most' laptops to 15.4", mine obviously is bordering on not being 'most' laptops as its a very tight fit in the laptop section. In fact, its difficult closing the zippers. Long term I'd say this might stuff the zippers, but I'm hoping with a bit of use the bag or padding might soften somehow. Its only a few mm that it needs and it will be a nice, firm fit.

And yes, I was hoping it would be a slightly larger alternative to my Slingshot 200, and it is. Similar camera storage plus laptop plus tripod plus will fit in a little more personal effects in the front pocket, without being a humungous bag. Fully laden, it will be heavy, but seems to have good, thick straps. Recommended so far!

mitgonk
04-10-2010, 12:16am
Got a domke f-3! Am amazed at how much it can fit inside it! Not much padding, but for a nice shoulder bag, everyone should look into the domke range!

ronaldhw
04-10-2010, 4:16pm
I use crumpler 5 million dollar home, it's my favorite bag, small shoulder bag, and doesn't look like camera bag, I can fit in D700 + 24-70mm f/2.8 and SB600 in it :)

crystalflair
19-11-2010, 10:11am
I have an older style lowepro nature trekker backpack but recently found I am wanting to switch more between wide angle and tele so have just changed to a Lowepro Outback 300 AW and also grabbed myself a vest, something I thought I wouldnt do as it isnt very flattering for the female figure lol

Havent had the opportunity to get out much yet though but it all looks cool together and will make me think a bit more of what I actualy take with me ;)

daniel5600
19-11-2010, 12:46pm
im using a Lowepro Flipside 300. i love it.
holds a good amount of gear. the back opening is very cool, means you just drop the bag on the ground and nothing gets dirty, good working platform and goes clean on your back. if you want (i dont) you can even do up the waist strap, spin the bag to the front, open it, and it becomes a working platform hanging in front of you to remove your gear, cool idea.
very comfortable. highly recommend these bags.

SerenityGate
21-11-2010, 5:02pm
Greetings guys.
As everyone probably has, I have a few smaller bags hanging around that were no good when a new lens was purchased.

As it was a bit wet, I was wondering how to protect the Nikon D300s with the Sigma 150-500 zoom attached if it started raining.

My eyes alighted on a Lowepro slingshot 200 and I cut out the top dividing padding and, yes, I was able to fit the lens and camera into it (after reversing the hood). :)

Of course it didn't rain, but now I am able to use what I thought was wasted money!

Have a great day, and don't let it grate on you!
:th3:

smurfinaus
30-11-2010, 10:44am
Got a Lowepro Mini Trekker with my canon 28-105mm lens purchase off ebay :)

DAdeGroot
05-12-2010, 10:57pm
Currently running with a Tamrac Expedition 7.

I have re-arranged the innards a bit of late, but it will take two large bodies with lenses attached (1DIV+400/5.6+1.4x & 5DII+70-200/2.8IS) another smaller lens and a flash.
OR one body with lens, two flashes and a couple of extra lenses.

Either way, the bag ends up quite heavy, but it has good support and I can carry it around for quite some time fully loaded.

colinl
05-12-2010, 11:43pm
I have an old shoulder bag, but rarely use it now. The one I mainly use is a Lowprow slingshot 100 AW. It is just big enough for my D60 and its two lenses. I quite like the user friendly nature of this style of bag. I would like to get a larger pack pack type for those times I want to take some extra gear.

AliAR
19-12-2010, 2:44am
Lowepro TOPLOADER ZOOM 50 AW - slim bag i carry when traveling

Lowepro Nova 180 AW - bigger bag to carry more on photo specific journeys.

Matix
19-12-2010, 8:27am
Like anything, it depends on your needs and the gear to carry. I have had them all, and with SLR and DSLR Nikon gear I needed space, shoulder bags would not work, back packs were too obvious and hard to access and one tended to carry too much weight in them. My favourites were the Lowepro slingshots AW 200 for light trips, and AW 300 when I had a lot to take. Compromises, but being able to quickly switch from the back to the front was great, the caveat with these however was that when at the front, the access flap for the camera and current lens fitted was excellent, but to get any other lenses out was a royal PITA and so easy to flip one out on to the ground if not careful. Once the bag was at the front of the body, the lens compartments were at right angles to the body line and changing them was not easy.

Now that I have sold the Nikon gear and changed to micro 4/3, a smaller bag was needed and a less obvious and secure one as well. I chose a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home model, love it.. well designed for the smaller lenses and kit and it looks like a shoulder bag not a camera bag. Heading to India in a week for a trip, and it contains 2 bodies, 5 lenses, flash and misc accessories. Being a top load model there is no problem changing lens and a few seconds later it is closed and locked. Total weight of the kit, 11.5 lbs.

Phil

peterb666
19-12-2010, 8:39am
Greetings guys.
As everyone probably has, I have a few smaller bags hanging around that were no good when a new lens was purchased.

As it was a bit wet, I was wondering how to protect the Nikon D300s with the Sigma 150-500 zoom attached if it started raining.
:th3:

That's an interesting thought. I have the Nikon D90 and Sigma 150-500 and the same problem but am loath to give my Kata DR-465 the chop. The edge of the divider between the two halves limits the movement of the zip for the lower part and I would not be able to open and close the bottom part as well.

I have found my well padded laptop backpack is just big enough for the job but I need to get a foam insert to stop the thing from falling over. I am looking for something more suitable.

I seem to recall someone making a convertable pack where the mid-divider is removable. Cannot remember who it is so if anyone knows, please post.

The D90 and mounted 150-500 is about 330mm but most 2-part bags and flip style bags only allow for around 300mm.

colinl
19-12-2010, 9:34am
Since I got my D300s my old Lowpro slingshot 100 is too small. I really like this style of bag, so I've ordered a larger one. The 300 AW, think this will give enough room for the camera, a few lenses and other bits and pieces. I'm pretty sure it is like my smaller slingshot and that it had a rain cover stashed away in pocket at the bottom of the bag.

huga
22-12-2010, 10:34pm
I got this one of few weeks ago and I lurrrrrrve it :D

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62835918/pre-order-leopard-and-leather-dslr

Chris Michel
26-12-2010, 1:52pm
to be honest i havnt got one at the moment as my old pentax used to fit in the glove box... need to look at something more protective now i guess that santa left me ( oh and my wife as i am instructed ) a D7 for xmas.... some thing small i guess will be the go as we only have one lens at the moment.... any simple suggestions that dont cost a kidney

Birdman
01-01-2011, 4:04pm
I am using a Lowepro Flipside 300, suits my needs and fits my lenses currently no problem

newsonb
05-01-2011, 4:40pm
I use the Crumpler 7 million. Good size for D300s and three lenses.

SerenityGate
05-01-2011, 10:04pm
I bought myself a Sigma 150-500 zoom lens to go with the Nikon d300s for nature photography. As the weather was a bit uncertain, I was wondering how to protect the gear if it started raining.
Then I noticed a Lowepro slingshot 200 that I almost sold (but thankfully didn't:D) and found that cutting out the dividing partition, the camera with the big lens would fit perfectly, and safely, as the bag has the all-weather cover.
So I have a good use for the bag.:)
It's a good thing to remember one thing: don't buy a camera bag that "just fits what you have" because we all know that we'll add another lens or something in the future.
Peace & Happiness everyone for the new year

SerenityGate
05-01-2011, 10:08pm
OOOPPPSSS :eek:
Forgot I'd already posted this!

I now use the Kata 3N1 30

OutCast
11-01-2011, 11:26pm
Jut ordered a Clik Eilte Probody asa daypack/travel pack ...

Nicholas Brennan
24-01-2011, 9:10pm
Ok, my wife just doesn't get why I need so many bags (I think I'm well under control when I see some other bag junkies)...

My favourites are the:

Lowepro Classified 250aw
Loewpro Classified 160aw

I generally use the above when walking about and need easy access to gear (e.g. battery change, lens change). Both of these are magic for carry on especially the 250 as it also has provision for my laptop.

Kata 3N1-33 which I have only recently acquired and still not quite sure about it yet, I like the tripod/monopod holder - it's a little uncomfortable when loaded (2x bodies, 2x lenses, Monopod, batteries and bits). Way too heavy when the 15" laptop is also onboard. I can put up with it when I have the gear out and in use as it's only containing spare batteries, another lens and bit's and pieces. I would hate to walk around all day with my full kit in this.

Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650AW - this is my garage for stuff in-frequently used.

Lowepro Super Trekker AWII - this is a beast and seldom used any longer, it's just BIG and obnoxious!

Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW - handy when I need 1x body with attached lens, spare battery and flash - this is for light travel.

Lowepro Deluxe Waistbelt and various lens cases.

Ok, I think upon reflection I may have a problem :)

birdie
25-01-2011, 7:38pm
I upgrade recently to a backpack again, I got the Lowepro Vertex 100 AW, nice and small and compact, fits all my gear very nicely, and will fit my planned upgrades to 24-70L to replace my 18-50 2.8 and additional 5D MkII body (keeping the 40D as 2nd body)... and it will even fit my 15.4" Macbook Pro in the laptop slot with a little bit of effort (main issue is the corners round off at the top, so you have to pull the corners over the top corners of the laptop, depth of the slot is fine...

This is an upgrade from my Lowepro Classified 250AW, which i was sick of having all the weight on one shoulder, and also having to stack lenses on top of each other in the same slot to fit them all in... otherwise its a great bag :)

Namus
26-01-2011, 8:38pm

+1 here; I think there is a 467i version which has an external tripod holder built in. The 467 range has a small compartment up top for a lunchbox/gear as well which is very useful for me. I prefer having my hands free and I don't feel that the shoulder bags offer me that (for me, anyway).

When I eventually get another body, I'll need to look at a bag which can hold both bodies, but that's still a while off :lol:

Jack LC
06-02-2011, 10:06pm
I have the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW backpack which is seriously great for travelling with lots of gear but I recenetly purchased a Passport Sling shoulder bag for when I am just bumming around town and want to be a little less conspicuous - so far I really happy with the sling shoulder bag.

ApolloLXII
06-02-2011, 11:10pm
I use a Lowepro Fastpack 200 which I find is just great for my needs. It travels extremely well and holds all of my accessories that are within reach in seconds. I love the way how I can slip it off one shoulder to access my camera from the side storage compartment which is great for cityscape and urban photography when I come across a shot that has to be taken immediately.

brownie
07-02-2011, 6:59pm
I use a Lowepro Fastpack 350 for trips away. I find the side entry for the camera makes it easy to get it out the bag without disrupting anything else. Camera gear fits in the bottom half, the top section is handy for papers, passport, iPod, etc and the padded laptop section in the back is just the bee’s knees for my notebook. It’s carryon baggage size for aircraft so it keeps all my valuables in the one convenient location that never leaves my side.

Around town I just use a waist pack to protect the camera in my saddlebags.

sonofcoco
23-10-2011, 9:25am
I think I used a Lowepro shoulder sling (200AW maybe) when I answered this poll, but added the Think Tank Streetwalker Pro about a year ago. It's the bag I use most of the time now, although I do use the Lowepro from time to time to carry the camera and another lens or two. The Think Tank is incredibly comfortable, I find myself often stopping to check I haven't left something behind when I'm out and about as it feels so light when it's on your back.

Xenedis
23-10-2011, 9:39am
After having 'Lowepro bag for light travel' on my list of things to buy for a year or two, I finally purchased said camera bag back in January, and have been using it all year.

Hitherto, my camera bag rig consisted of a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW and an often-used 12-year-old shoulder bag which needed replacement. I also have a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home (Canon EOS edition) which came with my Canon EOS 5D Mark II, but it's way too small to be practical, and being bright red, stands out from a thousand miles away.

The Mini Trekker AW is a fantastic backpack, and even accommodates my Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM along with camera, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and both the 1.4x and 2x tele-converters (even with smaller equipment, I can fit a lot into it), but I'm long past the point of wanting to carry a large-ish backpack around, and particularly when I travel (flying especially), I want a smaller shoulder-carry bag for my camera gear. It was not unusual for my camera backpack to weigh 10kg when flying inter-state.

I brought home a new Lowepro Nova 190 AW. Oddly enough, this was the bag I was considering the last time I looked into this issue and looked at bags. I looked at the Lowepro Nova 200 AW, which is longer and deeper, but I found it to be too large, and in terms of size, it wasn't a great deal different from my Mini Trekker, so I went back to the Nova 190 AW, which is more pleasant to carry around.

While the Nova 200 AW will hold more gear and would undoubtedly be a great bag, I wanted something smaller and less bulky. The Nova 190 AW will easily hold the camera and three or four fast (ie, f/2 or faster) primes or two f/2.8 zooms.

Important to me was the bag's ability to hold my Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM. The salesman in the store grabbed a 5D II and 70-200/2.8L (non-IS, but close enough in size), and the Nova 190 AW easily accommodated that rig, plus had plenty of room for another couple of decently sized primes or zooms.

For those unfamiliar with Lowepro nomenclature, AW designates ‘all-weather', meaning the bag has an integrated rain cover. As a seascaper, and one who tends to get rather wet, it's important that my gear is protected, and the integrated rain cover will easily keep splashes and rain at bay.

It very nicely holds a good rig of equipment without being too heavy, or increasing in bulk due to the gear I've placed inside it.

At the moment, it contains my:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II;
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM (including hood);
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM (including hood);
Canon TC-80N3 Timer Remote Controller;
Lee filter wallet containing GND4, GND8 and two ND8s;
Lee filter holder and 82mm adapter ring;
Hoya 82mm circular polarising filter;
Hoya HMC 82mm ND8 filter;
hotshoe-mounted spirit level;
spare SanDisk Extreme III 4GB CompactFlash card;
Princeton Tec FUEL headlamp + spare batteries;
Lenspen;
neoprene lens cleaning cloth;
plastic bags and ziplock bags; and
business cards

Quite a lot of gear!

All in all, I am very happy with this bag, and I keep it packed as above for the most part, as it contains my seascaping rig, plus my 135/2L, which I don't normally carry on 'scape shoots, but which will give me extra reach when needed.

It's just as easy to swap out some gear for a bag of fast primes and flashes. It's very versatile, holding a decent rig of equipment without being bulky or too heavy, and when it comes to flying, it consumes a lot less room in the overhead luggage compartments, or could just as easily sit under the seat in front of me.

My Lee filter wallet and the case for the filter holder both consume considerable space. If I needed more room or wanted to take a 70-200/2.8 as well as my 16-35/2.8L II, I could find an alternative way of transporting the filters, as they are flat sheets of resin, measuring 6×4" at the most, and could be stacked together with tissue paper separating them, and a ziplock bag containing the lot.

The Nova 190 AW offers plenty of options for configurability and holds a surprisingly large amount of equipment for its size.

Ezookiel
23-10-2011, 9:42am
I don't have a lot of gear yet, so I use this one from Case Logic http://www.caselogic.com/medium_slr_camera_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=133827&productid=1347180
I liked the way this one has a hammock that suspends the camera, lens-down, in mid air in the centre of the case, for excellent protection.
I only have the one lens so far (which is on the camera), so the two side pockets hold the speedlite in one, and the remote control, puffer bulb, and wallet of filters in the other.
The front pocket has the microfibre cloth, and the rear pocket has the spare batteries for both camera & flash, and the connection cable for the computer.
In the bottom of the case below the suspended camera is the manual, and a lens hood.
It wouldn't suit a professional, or anyone with a heap of gear, but it's small and manageable for most day trips etc. It cost about $90 at Myers from memory.

K10D
23-10-2011, 10:01am
Since this is an area I have quite a bit of experience in (with the numbers of bags I have purchased I should do) I am wondering what type of camera bag you use?

If you use more then one type please select all the types you use and if you select other please tell us what you use.

I would also be interested to see any photos of different people bags and how they have them set up.

Paul

Tried many

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/GaryCatterick/bags.jpg?t=1272612641

and now only use a Lowepro Off Trail 2 bum bag with the 3rd or 3rd & 4th bodies. Both main working cameras are hung on a Sun Sniper Pro double harness.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/GaryCatterick/sunsniperdouble.jpg?t=1309601764

I used my back pack in Russia for a year and it was nothing but inconvenient. Carries enough kit but slows the work flow. Shoulder bags stop you working well if you use two + cameras. I resist changing lenses in the field. If that means using 2, 3 or even 4 bodies then that's what I do (not too often).

Main set would be a D7000 with the 70-200 VR and the D700 with either the 14-24 or 24-70. I always have a Pentax or two with me with either a Ltd or the 10-17 FE. Two Pentax's with a Ltd & FE will easily fit into an Off Trail 2. The Lens pockets-one has a bottle of water and the other carries a spare flash or 100mm macro if I think I'll need it.

All of this leaves my hands free and nothing hanging from my neck. I can reach behind for a Pentax or bring either Nikon straight up to the eye from either side of my waist.

Best regards

KeeFy
23-10-2011, 2:48pm
Kata Format Q
Kata 3N1-33
Lowepro Nova AW190
Loewpro Inverse 200

Blueywa
03-11-2011, 7:41pm
I have a few generic bags (they dont get much use) and a few Lowepro Bags which get used regularly.
They are a Slingshot 302AW, Slingshot 202AW, Nova 200AW and a Toploader Pro75AW - all well made, well thought out and all have the 'rain cover' which hasnt been used in the rain so much as being used in dusty conditions.

Sorry no pictures, but easilly viewed on manufacturers website :)

srowlandson
05-11-2011, 9:06am
I have a lots of bags, and vary which one i use depending on what and where I am shooting.

I have a Crumpler C List Celebrity that i generally have all my gear in. Its BIG. Its Heavy.

I sometimes use my Crumpler Barney Rustle Blanket with a Bucket in it to take just one camera body and a lens or 2 + a flash. this setup looks less camera bag..

I have chucked the bucket in the bottom of a normal Crumpler backpack i have when going on a ride on my motorbike.

When going 4wding etc, i used to put my gear in my 1500 pelican. I have a small Crumpler camera bag just big enough for the ungripped 20d + lens or 2.

Some times I just wrap the camera in a beanie and chuck it in my Crumpler Barney Rustle Blanket.

I don't think anyone can get by with just one bag :)

I have a pelican 1600 whick i think i'll have to start storing my gear in when at home, as the gear list is growing rapidly :D

Xenedis
05-11-2011, 9:52am
I don't think anyone can get by with just one bag :)

Bags are similar to tripods in that there isn't one which is suitable to all occasions.

As far as camera bags, I only use two, and one gets far less usage than the other. I have a 'standard kit' in my main bag (see my earlier post), and tend not to deviate much from that.

If I need a lot more gear or the super-tele, I use a backpack.

sunny6teen
05-11-2011, 10:31am
unfortunately, manufacturers like lowepro etc, have a knack for overpricing bags that are useless for carrying long distances. they do so much harm to your body after a full day of hiking.
I just use a black wolf tempo 40 litre backpack. a fraction of the price and it's suited for the task. high end camera gear is a lot more robust than people give them credit. you can put them in anything. I also have a couple of large carabiners hooked up to it and hook a camera onto each so it works like a black rapid double-strap.
the backpack has pockets for drink bottles on the side. sit your tripod legs in one of the pocket and wrap a bungee ball from the tripod head to the top of the bag so it doesn't move around when your walking.
you can rig up the entire thing for under a $100.

peterking
09-11-2011, 12:25am
For some time now I have had two bags.

The primary has recently changed to a Black Wolfe Synchro Cam. This came about after doing Kittys Gorge Walk. I have arthritis in both legs and a dicky back. On the way back PhotomD and Grug took my gear off me as I was not travelling well. This bag now restricts me to one body and maybe a second lens. It has a hydration pack, 1.5l, and capacity for other stuff.

The other bag is a Kata 3n1 30. This holds the second body, the other lenses and the flash gear.

Due to the above health problems this will now be the standard for me. One bag I carry with the minimum gear and the other with the rest which will stay in the car.

kiwi
19-12-2011, 1:39pm
I'm coming to the realization that the best solution is to just chuck everything in a big domke bag with no dividers

Maybe if my d3 and d300s rub together enough I'll get a Nikon p&s ?

peterb666
21-12-2011, 3:29pm
Maybe if my d3 and d300s rub together enough I'll get a Nikon p&s ?

I would expect the body cap or lens would work as a contraceptive and there would be no offspring.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

sx1
02-01-2012, 10:15am
This
http://www.tiendapentaxeros.com/images/kata-465i.jpg

A Kata 465i. Since I only have 1 lens, tis does the job well. Although I have found that trekking a couple of hours with this is quite painful.
Oh the joys of carrying gears for that perfect shot!

mikec
10-01-2012, 4:41pm
This
Although I have found that trekking a couple of hours with this is quite painful.
Oh the joys of carrying gears for that perfect shot!

It's not the gear that is making it painful or the time, it's the bag. If you need to actually hike for a few hours with photo gear either buy a dedicated hiking pack and place the gear inside that or buy a pack that is designed for hiking with photo equip, from the likes of F Stop Gear or Clik Elite.

gje38752
22-02-2012, 11:42pm
Have used 3 different types of bags for my gear, but I eventually tired of finding I had left one at home, so I have recently purchased a Lowepro Sling 202, job done, so easy to quickly access gear and whatever, with enough room for extras.:lol:

Captured frame
29-02-2012, 9:04pm
Have just started using the Lowepro Street and Field Technical vest and belt system and find it very usefull can adapt it for whatever l need on a particular day and so much easier on the neck and shoulders.

Chayelle
09-05-2012, 11:45pm
I very much enjoy threads about gear, bags, how they fit together,
what others carry about with them.
As I read through this particular thread I enjoyed peoples bag choices
and the gear in them, but was astonished at how very very few pictures
had been included..... :(

Lance B
10-05-2012, 5:16pm
I am now using a Lowepro Flipside 500, formerly using the Lowepro Flipside 400. I can walk all day with either on my back and a full kit with no issues or fatigue whatsoever. I think that those that find these backpacks uncomfortable or fatiguing must just be that it is uncomforatble for them not necessarily because the backpacks are of a poor design. I think they are marvellous.

I used to have the Flipside 400 packed with the Nikon D700, 16-35 f4 VR or 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 (attached to D700), 70-200 f2.8 VRII, 1.4x TCII and 2x TCIII and would sometimes add a flash or the 85mm f1.4G or 105 f2.8 Micro or the D7000 depending on what I was going to shoot.

Now, with the Flipside 500, I now fit Nikon D800, 16-35 f4 VR or 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VRII, 1.4x TCII and 2x TCIII and also include th 300 f2.8 VRII or the 500 f4. I can, if I want, put the 500 f4 in the backpack and also put the 300 f2.8 VRII in a Lowepro lens case and hang it off the waist belt. However, if I do that I then only put the 70-200 f2.8, 1.4x TCII and 2x TCII in tha bag to save weight. The beauty of having the 300mm VRII in a lens case on the waist belt of the Flipsdie 500 is that it becomes a great left elbow rest for handheld shooting. You do not realise how handy this is for steadying a heavy lens!! Here is a shot of it in action:
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/140202617/original.jpg

I can now also add a small laptop to the back pocket which didn't quite fit into the Flipside 400.
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/142565894/original.jpg

Showing slight size difference between Flipside 500 and 400.
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/142565613/original.jpg

Flipside 500 with D7000 attached to 300 f2.8 VRII and spare spot for D700 (then). Now I have the D800, I sold off the D7000 and only take the D800 not the D700, so, freeing up a spare spot for another lens if required.

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/142565615/original.jpg

Here it is with the 500 f4 VR instead of the 300 f2.8 VRII.

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/142566089/original.jpg

Tommo224
10-05-2012, 5:35pm
I just bought a black Lowepro Photo Sports 100 (Sling) to travel/adventure/explore with. I got $62 off the marked price, without even asking? Talk about mark up!

It's light, decent size (I'm not tall, and it's still smallish on me), and has heaps of room for everything I'll need on the move :)
2 cameras (550D + NEX-5N), 1 extra lens each, flash, tripod, big water bottle, plus room to stuff my jacket in and a bunch of other random goodies!

Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home (Shoulder)
To store all my DSLR gear normally. Fits my 550D with a lens attached, 4 extra lenses, 2 flashes, plus ALL of my accessories and chargers (except Tripod).

SirLozalot
10-05-2012, 5:43pm
I too seem to be a camera collector. I have eventually settled on 2 back packs - usage depending upon occasion.
One backpack for family outings. I just have camera + an extra lens or two. Rest of bag mainly committed to kids (2 girls, now just starting school age) stuff. For this I have a Lowepro Orion 200 day pack. Really happy with it. Simple camera section in bottom. Biggish storage on top. Basic but handy.
Second backpack is bigger and more camera equipment oriented. Good for when I am more serious with a photo opportunity and want more equipment. This back pack is LowePro Fastpack 350.

znelbok
12-05-2012, 8:26pm
Great thread. I have been looking for something for a little while now and it helped heaps.

Just ordered a Lowepro 400 AW - got it for $74 +$26 postage, so $100 all up. While I would have licked the 500 to fit a laptop (thanks to Lance B for his report on the 500 v 400) I cold not find one at the right price.

Arg
09-06-2012, 4:12pm
hi znelbok, where can one get the 400AW at that price? (assuming it's not a counterfeit)

HelenClaire
14-06-2012, 12:35am
I have a Lowepro Slingshot 200. Extremely, extremely happy with it!!! Literally wore it everyday while on holiday in Canada/Alaska. Even though the strap goes over one shoulder, it is very comfortable as it sits across your back. The beauty with the bag is that you can quickly swing it around to the front and undo the zip to whip your camera out. You never have to take it off. It even has a built in rain cover! The bag in this position also acts as a stable place to rest your elbows for a steady shot. Has enough room for several lenses though I would suspect it may be too small for a professional. However as a beginner it is absolutely perfect and would highly recommend it.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/rawbytes/Backpack.jpg

Redfox
19-07-2012, 4:21pm
Shoulder bag and back back for me, easier for access on to go with shoulder bag or for longer hikes the backpack

RRRoger
19-07-2012, 7:24pm
[QUOTE=Redfox;1047776]Shoulder bag and back back for me, easier for access on to go with shoulder bag or for longer hikes the backpack QUOTE<<<

Depends on how much (other) stuff my wife needs to carry in her back pack.:lol:
I would probably just carry my V1 on a black Rapid or in a large pocket for a long hike.
And for a short hike, my Tamrac Pro 8 would also stay in the car. I would carry my D800 with 28-300 on a Boomerang neck strap.

Diddles
19-07-2012, 7:58pm
I bought the Lowepro Nova 170 AW for my Nikon 5100 & lens :)

Cobalt Blue
20-07-2012, 9:36pm
I am a bit of a bag lover :o

I have a Lowepro slingshot which I use mostly when there's lots of walking involved.

I also have a stella by Epiphanie! which is my day to day bag, fantastic that it's a handbag/camera bag all in one.

And for special occasions (ie. when I want to feel special) I have a Jille medium in choclate brown - the newest addition to my collection.

And sometimes I take two :D
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8150/7478420840_e136486725_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/65874974@N06/7478420840/)
Bryce's pics 1.7.12 116 pn (http://www.flickr.com/photos/65874974@N06/7478420840/) by Bryden3 (http://www.flickr.com/people/65874974@N06/), on Flickr

Me with both my beautiful Epiphanie! and my slingshot - a girl can never be too prepared!

Teressa

Redgum
20-07-2012, 9:42pm
All these years I've been missing out! I only ever use my bags to carry cameras, not make fashion statements. I guess in my case it would never work anyway? :D:D:D

fenderstrat1963
21-07-2012, 6:25am
I've always liked backpacks for gear, so when I started looking for somewhere to keep my camera I stayed with that. I also like looking like I'm not carrying anything worth stealing. :)

fishographer
21-07-2012, 6:21pm
Have everything stored in a Lowepro DSLR video fastpak 250 backpack that is just fantastic, can swallow the 7D, all my lenses and bits and bobs including Laptop/iPad and even some snacks if needed, can swing it to one side to quickly pull the camera out to shoot but sometimes I use it in conjunction with my carry speed shoulder strap.
I also use a Lowepro chest mounted top loader for when I am fishing and wading in water, more for camera protection and quick access.
And for trips out in the boat where water spray and such is an issue I have a Vanguard hard case that is practically indestructible and floats......can't be too careful

Ollé
20-08-2012, 9:21pm
Voted for other - I've got a Crumpler Mild Enthusiast in medium.

Easily holds the M8 with lens, room enough for another rangefinder body and a couple of lenses. Also has a dedicated iPad pocket which is the bees knees.

Pobbs
21-08-2012, 2:19pm
LOL I am a cheapskate! I use a regular handbag by Kate Hill, and store my spare lenses inside the bag in stubby coolers!

dbax
23-08-2012, 11:15am
my old backpack is falling to pieces, time for a new one, decisions, decisions........

Kaktus
23-08-2012, 1:41pm
..... and store my spare lenses inside the bag in stubby coolers!

What a great idea, might try that myself (if you don't mind).

Just bought a Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag and while it has padding, it's not as rigid as others and I did have some concern about the extra lens.

Sifor
23-08-2012, 7:24pm
I recently purchased the Lowepro Video Fastpack 350 AW for $180..

I wanted a bag that could take my D800 + 24-70 2.8 and any future lenses (e.g. 70-200 2.8, although I question if it can take the Sigma 120-300 2.8). I also wanted a tripod holder on the bag and for it to take other things like food/jumpers/other things and a laptop. It meets my needs, however it's a large bag, although given that it does hold a lot of other stuff that's expected. It's perfect for hiking.

For most of the time, however, I leave the bag at home. For example, I'll usually take the 24-70's case with filters and my old 70-210 stuffed inside. It's small and easy. Although for any day trips the Lowepro will be on my back!

Dez0106
23-08-2012, 7:39pm
I have a Pelican case as I found even though its big it protectes my gear the best.. I love it.. worth the price..

- - - Updated - - -

:th3::th3:

CarlR
27-08-2012, 9:57am
Just picked up the Think Tank Streetwalker backpack to augment my mid sized Kata 3N1-20 convertible backpack / sling bag. Much more storage space.

I found the Kata OK for a 24-70, 70-200 and small body, with flash, filters etc packed in. The Think Tank fits everything!

Pobbs
27-08-2012, 3:57pm
What a great idea, might try that myself (if you don't mind).

Just bought a Lowepro Exchange Messenger bag and while it has padding, it's not as rigid as others and I did have some concern about the extra lens.

Steal away - I find them to be perfect for keeping lenses in. :)

I cut them to size and even slip it on the lens that's on the camera when it's not in use.

shelly1170
28-10-2012, 5:37pm
I have just got my DSLR. I needed a bag as the one that came with it was a nasty freebie and was like lugging a six pack esky!

I managed to grab a Built NY Cargo neoprene camera bag at half price (about $45 AUD) As I usually have a 5yo and 4 yo with me, I need a multi task bag! Until I find a better solution, this one is fine. We went on a road trip to River Kwai a couple of days ago and I fitted in: EOS 650D with 18-35mm lens attached, user manual, 50mm lens, Canon G1X, Sony camcorder, spare batteries for all, wallet, phone, hand sanitizer, tissues, baby wipes, Panadol(I did say 4&5 year olds!) and a few other bits of misc crap. Handled it all easily.

Oh, and it's purple with multi colored spots, so very cute which helps!

Xenedis
05-11-2012, 8:55pm
During a recent trip to Africa, I took my Lowepro Mini Trekker.

This is an excellent camera backpack I've had since 2006, but which I don't often use these days unless I have a fair bit of gear, or the big lenses, to carry.

For the trip, I packed the following items into it:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II;
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM;
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM;
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM;
Canon Extender EF 1.4x II;
Canon Extender EF 2x II;
Lee filter holder;
Lee filter wallet containing four ND/GND filters;
Hi-Tech filter wallet containing ten-stop ND filter;
remote shutter release;
spare quick release plate;
flash cards;
Lenspen;
microfibre cloth;
spirit level;
headlamp;
camera strap;
battery charger;
battery charger cable;
air blower; and
pen.

I also packed a few other things into it, such as cash, passport and other incidental stuff. I also shoved a wallet, keys, iPhone and other stuff into it when going through airport security screening points.

All up, it weighed around 9.5kg, but I wasn't lacking anything I needed or wanted with me for the trip.

GoldZilla
20-11-2012, 2:06am
I've got a Lowepro Fastpack 250 which I bought before flying to Melbourne a few years ago, after having found out that it best suited my requirements (laptop, a few lenses, flashes, etc.) and was cabin luggage sized. However, it's a bit much to carry around when you only need a few things at a time (even when it's empty), so a few weeks ago I bought a Lowepro Urban Photo Sling 250. It fits my 60D with 17-55mm with room for a mix of a couple of lenses or flashes, and there's a slot for an iPad or similar sized tablet. It's also just long enough to accommodate a camera with a 70-200mm attached if you remove some of the internal separators.

El Pedro
03-01-2013, 8:55pm
I have the Lowepro Fastpack 350. Holds my camera with 70-200mm attached a flash and two other lenses easily. It also has a separate padded section for a laptop and another section for small personal belongings.

I find it the perfect size for carry on baggage and is comfortable strapped on for longer durations.

The only thing I find annoying is I have to put the 70-200 back on the body to fit everything in again. It's a necessary sacrifice to allow for the top storage area which I find extremely useful.

Iscariot
03-01-2013, 9:16pm
I use two:

I have a Lowepro Nova 170 for days when I go with one body / lens and a Think Tan Retrospective 20 for everything else.

Doktaduck
09-01-2013, 3:48pm
I just got a Cadon K1 camera bag, and so far it's excellent as a 'day pack'

I've only ever seen it on e-bay, despite searching the net for a retailer of similar shaped/function bag.

It's not water proof (though I have used water proofing spray to hopefully give it some resistance) but it does come with (an aweful:P) rain cover.

I got the Khaki colour and love the red lining :)

Fits the 650D and twin lens kit, no problem plus has pockets for phone, wallet, extra cards + battery, pen, notepad, cleaning gear etc...

all for less than AU$30.

*removed image, you do not own copyright over the image posted - admin*

hakka
10-01-2013, 4:37am
I have about 10 lowepro bags, every time I think I've found the perfect one I upgrade my gear and run out of room.

Currently using a Magnum AW200:

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b416/hakka69/_D7A3413.jpg

Its one of the only shoulder bags I could find that will fit the D800 & 14-24 with the sw150 kit attached.

Magnum is part of lowepro's pro line of bags, build quality is way ahead of the normal lowepro ones. The sides&base are very rigid and there is a very thick foam pad at the bottom.

Warbler
10-01-2013, 9:40am
I've got a couple of Loweporo backpacks, but they really are a PITA to get gear out of in a hurry and to then put it all back into when moving from one location to another. I'd really like to get my hands on a hard case on wheels, but they are very expensive. The wheels would need to big enough in diameter to allow me to drag the bag over grass and sticks, not just on perfectly smooth hard floors like at airports. Of course an assistant would be better (for me anyway :2adora:). Just for carrying around I use a Black Rapid double setup.

Brian500au
28-01-2013, 10:49am
During a recent trip to Africa, I took my Lowepro Mini Trekker.

This is an excellent camera backpack I've had since 2006, but which I don't often use these days unless I have a fair bit of gear, or the big lenses, to carry.

For the trip, I packed the following items into it:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II;
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM;
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM;
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM;
Canon Extender EF 1.4x II;
Canon Extender EF 2x II;
Lee filter holder;
Lee filter wallet containing four ND/GND filters;
Hi-Tech filter wallet containing ten-stop ND filter;
remote shutter release;
spare quick release plate;
flash cards;
Lenspen;
microfibre cloth;
spirit level;
headlamp;
camera strap;
battery charger;
battery charger cable;
air blower; and
pen.

I also packed a few other things into it, such as cash, passport and other incidental stuff. I also shoved a wallet, keys, iPhone and other stuff into it when going through airport security screening points.

All up, it weighed around 9.5kg, but I wasn't lacking anything I needed or wanted with me for the trip.

I knew there was a reason I have never discarded mine, although I think u have raised the bar a bit by what is possible to pack in to these amazing bags.

HansPeter
28-01-2013, 4:25pm
Camera Bag Thats What I ned any recommendations

stillshunter
28-01-2013, 4:49pm
Cycled through too many bags - backpacks, shoulder, waist, etc. - in my time. Stand-out favourites have to be Billingham shoulder bags; top quality materials, superior workmanship and well-thought-out design. Having said that my primary bag right now doesn't quite fit the prescribed criteria of this voting poll - so I ticked "Other". It's the Incase Ari Marcopoulos (http://goincase.com/products/detail/ari-marcopoulos-camera-bag-cl58033) - love it! More a messenger/courier style bag with a pull-tight design that keeps it snug to your body, until you release it for quick access. You can tell it was designed by a photographer.

Thought I'd share the video below, I reckon it's fun watching Ari talk you through the design elements and his thinking behind each bit. Check it out...

http://youtu.be/IA3a_5_SWzQ

mikec
31-01-2013, 8:11pm
Alright thought I should contribute to the camera bag p0rn.

I've been using an fstop Guru (http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/guru) bag mostly for the last year or so, great bag for the type of stuff I generally like to shoot. I find I can fit a small ICU (see images) and a small amount of climbing gear, food and water in for a day trip. I can also swap out for the medium slim ICU for when I want a longer lens or some lights and still carry a fair amount of stuff.

Really good bag, a little pricey but I can't fault the quality. Only gripe is it's hard to fit the lenses with the hoods attached, its much better without hoods :confused013 It carries weight well and when I'm away I've often just taken the ICU out and just used the bag like a normal backpack. Their website as far better images so I won't waste my time with too many.

- Medium Slim ICU with 5DII, 70-200 f/2.8, 2 x 580EXII (stacked) and 24-105 (the 16-35 also fits in this slot)

- The two different ICU's side by side.

- Rear of bag with Small ICU loaded up with 5DII, 24-105, 16-35, 150 x 100mm filter, remote and various bits.. Filter holder and other bits go in the other areas on the front of the bag.

Cheers,
Mike.

Lurchorama
20-02-2013, 8:24pm
Camera bag Pr0n?
Sorry to sully this thread with Pentax gear and third-party lenses :p

I recently moved from a Lowepro Slingback to this Lowepro 'Computreker'. Good points; Fits all my stuff. Bad points; Fits all my stuff.
Now need to invest in a 'day bag' as this thing now weighs a tonne :(

http://darksideofthepants.net/misc/IMG_0003.jpg

In there is the K-5 (with the Sigma 20-40 fitted), a K100d body, a couple of flashes, and bunch of lenses.

trueblue
04-05-2013, 2:27pm
I have a Lowepro 300AW as my main bag. Very nice for long trips and store all my gear. Used a Crumpler 5MDH for day use but found it to small pain to use with 5DmK2 and 70-200 lens fitted. Did a lot of research and went to a store and side by side examined the Lowpro Messenger 200 and the Think Tank Retrospective 20 for a day bag.

gJust got the Thing Tank Retro 20 last week. I like it a lot and can see it will get a lot of use. Can have my 70-700 lens fitted. These appear well made bags lot of room for several lenses and accesories and not to big. Early days yet but highly recommend them from what i can see.

Anne Sh
27-05-2013, 12:20pm
I usually travel with two bags...all my gear is with me during transport in a Lowpro backpack that only accommodates camera gear. It is the largest size allowed on a plane to fit the overhead lockers. I think that it is a Vertex 200AW. I have also traveled with a Tamrac which is half and half. This is great if you haven't too much gear. BUT usually I have another smaller bag in my checked luggage which is now a Crumpler. This lets me go out for the day with the gear I want like one lens and the body and there is enough room for my glasses and water etc.

The set up of my bag varies each time I use it depending on what I am carrying.

I have had heaps of bags and given them a good try then if they didn't work for me got rid of them on line.

Cheers

Ventureoverland
27-05-2013, 2:03pm
I have 2 bags, 1 for day walking around the city and one I use for going away.

The day bag is a Billingham Hadley Pro - allows me to fit the 5D Mk3 c/w 27-70 f2.8 inc hood and the 70-200 f2.8 with Hood. The two pockets accomodate filters, phone etc.

My big bag is a Crumpler backpack. Ive had it 4 years now and it lets me carry everything I need, including my 15" MacBook Pro... but Its heavy fully loaded!

ktoopi
27-05-2013, 5:25pm
I just bought a Lowepro Sling....waiting for it to arrive....Looking forward to having a bag that doesn't look too obvious and has room for drink, purse sunnies etc:D I also have a lowepro flipside 200 which I currently use.....forces me to be selective about what gear to take as it can only fit camera with one lens on it, another lens and not much more!:)

Retro
27-05-2013, 5:40pm
Lowpro 202 AW: Perfect for the amount of gear I have at the moment with the added bonus of working very well when I ride the motorcycle.

outstar79
27-05-2013, 6:30pm
My Lowepro fastpack 250 serves me well for all the hiking I do and I can put water bladder into the laptop section as well! Awesome little pack that I've had for the last two years, and probably quite a few more to come! :cool:

Gledo
27-05-2013, 9:56pm
*removed -read the site rules - rule 3* the only issue I have with it is when I take it on-board intrastate aircraft that do not have the usual overhead locker space as international and interstate planes.

Looking for smaller back pack. Travelling to Africa in August/ September and will be doing some travelling on smaller aircraft.

hakka
30-05-2013, 9:00pm
After climbing up the face of Cora Lyn Cascades near Lorne a few weeks back with a shoulderbag I decided to switch to a backpack. I just received the F-stop Loka with large ICU, I've said it before but this will be my last bag, its perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

After climbing up the face of Cora Lyn Cascades near Lorne a few weeks back with a shoulderbag I decided to switch to a backpack. I just received the F-stop Loka with large ICU, I've said it before but this will be my last bag, its perfect.

rookie
15-06-2013, 9:22am
Hi my son is in the market for his first bag .It would need to fit 6d with 24-70 and an 550 with 70-200 plus all the usual extras any recommendations would be muchly appreciated.He mainly uses these setups to video events.

MrQ
15-06-2013, 9:47am
I have a Lowepro Urban Photo Sling 150 which fits my D600 with 70-200/f4 and one other thing (flash/lens/sound recorder). I also have a Lowepro Fastpack 250 for when I want to carry more stuff. There are a couple of smaller Lowepros gathering dust on the shelf as they no longer seem to fit what I want to take with me. I still end up carrying my tripod by hand though - I really should get a strap or bag for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi my son is in the market for his first bag .It would need to fit 6d with 24-70 and an 550 with 70-200 plus all the usual extras ...
I don't have a specific recommendation but I can suggest he does what I did: head into my local camera bag shop with the gear I wanted to make sure would fit and ask them to let me try a few bags. It's easier to actually see the gear fitting in the bag than trying to work out if it will from web site measurements/etc.

fenderstrat1963
30-06-2013, 6:44am
I'm using a Lowepro Pro Runner 200AW and it does a good job. The straps are comfortable and everything is easy to get at when I have it on the ground. I'd like things a bit more accessible when I can't put the bag down, but it hasn't been a major problem. The empty space is a good fit for a Canon EOS 60D with a 15-85mm lens attached.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/9167764671_7e86c61266_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78363275@N03/9167764671/)
IMG_7045-lowepro-pro-runner-200-aw (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78363275@N03/9167764671/) by fenderstrat1963 (http://www.flickr.com/people/78363275@N03/), on Flickr

Grillman
20-01-2014, 4:05pm
I have a Caribee Fast Track 85 for travel and it has a little day pack that attaches to it. I bought a small foam block off cut, (poorly)cut out the shape of my camera and a lens from it, and sat it at the bottom of my day pack. It works decently, though I would like to have another go at cutting the shape out of the foam. I plan to add a lid and cover it all in some fabric.

Ahyao17
22-01-2014, 12:24pm
Compuday pack if I am traveling and need my laptop or other stuff need carrying

Crumpler five million dollar home if just for camera and some light stuff

virgal_tracy
31-01-2014, 9:19am
Lowepro Vertex 300. On a wedding day it holds everything that I need on hand with redundancies left in another bag in the car. As long as I don't overpack it is comfortable enough to carry around all day giving me access to anything that I need, including tripod.

rolls
31-01-2014, 9:40am
I have just bought a Crumpler 7 million dollar home. Love it. Big enough for a full kit, comfy, well made. All good. $80 from fleabay.

Tried several other shoulder bags and backpacks over the years. This is the best so far. Still looking for a Domke reporter at the right price.

Rolls.

MissionMan
13-03-2014, 1:44pm
Just bought a ThinkTank Retrospective 20 in pinestone finish. Without a doubt the best bag I've used and seen to date. I'll post up a review when I get a chance to get some photos of the bag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Morgo
19-04-2014, 10:19pm
Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, nice bag but its time for something that can take some telephotos :)

AngusG
20-04-2014, 1:15pm
Lowepro Event Messenger 150. I like it because I can chuck my full size iPad in there but after walking around with it for a couple of hours, I find it gives my shoulder a bit of grief (pre-existing injury). I think I really need a backpack more than a shoulder bag (I hate backpacks though, no one ever looks happy carrying a backpack).

MissionMan
20-04-2014, 3:34pm
Try the thinktank if you still want a shoulder bag. I put up a review recently but the strap is one of the best and softest I've seen on a bag. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=130563

AngusG
20-04-2014, 4:00pm
Thanks. I'll check it out. It's moreso the lopsided weight distribution more than anything. I can feel knots forming right now around my upper back and shoulders. I'll probably be in for a rough night tonight.

AngusG
20-04-2014, 4:52pm
Had a read. I actually like the sound of it MissionMan. Did you find it noticeably/considerable more comfortable than your Lowepro?

The other thing I didn't like about the Lowepro (and this isn't their fault) is I'm only shooting with a compact. The bag is far too big for my camera, but is still the smallest bag I could get with enough room for a 10" iPad and personal items (glasses etc).

MissionMan
20-04-2014, 6:02pm
Way more comfortable. You can't even compare them. They also do smaller versions of the retrospective. I have the 20 but they do a 10, 5 etc.

AngusG
20-04-2014, 6:17pm
Too easy. Thanks for the info. TBH when I got the Lowepro I thought it was an unbeatable deal.

After its first full day's use I'm over it already…

AngusG
20-04-2014, 7:22pm
The 7 looks like it might be up my alley, there's a couple of shops in Brisbane that stock them, might be a mission for tomorrow

Edit: both shops are shut over Easter! Dammit!

OzzyDevil
03-05-2014, 8:17pm
I'm looking at getting the The Expedition 7x in a few weeks.. I looked at reviews and I like it alot :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

AngusG
04-05-2014, 10:07am
I ended up getting a Crumpler Flock of Horror and a Haven. Crumpler's served me well in the past and the FoH has a bucketload of space and I can take the Haven out when I don't need to take my camera with me.

I went to both Thinktank stockists in Brisbane but neither had the Retrospective 7 in the green (which is what I was after)

ktoopi
04-05-2014, 11:02am
Ha Ha I have five camera bags that are in constant rotation at the moment depending on where I am going , what I am doing and what gear I need! Have a Lowepro hatchback 22L, Lowepro passport sling, a Shutterbag (100% leather looks like a big handbag and not a camera bag which is why I love it) that are my favourites at the moment and a 100% waterproof sailing backback that can be submerged that I use as a camera bag and some smaller ones that just fit the camera and lens .:D:D:D

Nick Cliff
04-05-2014, 10:00pm
Am happy with a think tank 360 with a csc olympus system ,a bit small I would imagine for larger nikons etc if you need to carry water and food on a longer walk.

AngusG
21-05-2014, 7:38pm
I ended up getting a Crumpler Flock of Horror and a Haven. Crumpler's served me well in the past and the FoH has a bucketload of space and I can take the Haven out when I don't need to take my camera with me.

I went to both Thinktank stockists in Brisbane but neither had the Retrospective 7 in the green (which is what I was after)

After a couple of weeks, safe to say I love this. The FoH is the first sling bag I can wear over a period without throwing my shoulder out. Worthing mention I'm very beginner/amateur. Probably not a lot of storage room in the small sized Haven for more experienced/seasoned photographers.

Cage
21-05-2014, 7:51pm
I went through this exercise a few years back.

I thought a bag was a 'must' have' accessory, so I asked lots of questions, read the threads, and bought a Lowepro something or other. I've never used it!! I got a 'tog vest with lots of handy pockets which suits me just fine.

Unless you're a Pro, a hiker, or you leave home not knowing what you are going to shoot and want to cover all the bases, a bag will be as useful as mine is, for taking up space in the wardrobe.

AngusG
21-05-2014, 8:02pm
^^ you're probably right. But I like having a "man bag". (Even without my camera in it).

I also fly a fair bit so the bag makes security check in a tonne easier.

Cage
21-05-2014, 8:26pm
Well you are buying one for the right reasons.

Not like me, :Doh: , I bought one because I thought I needed one, or should have one. :lol2:

AngusG
21-05-2014, 8:32pm
I probably bought my Lowepro for the same reasons. It gets about as much use as yours. It's only saving grace is that it was cheap!

Shane H
24-05-2014, 11:11am
I do a lot of bush walking and I"m slowly upgrading my kit.

For me, when I'm in the scrub it's a Lowepro Pro Trekker 300AW. Heavy without any gear it in but there's lots of room. It's my main storage bag at the moment. The shoulder bat, Lowepro Magnum 200AW is for when I'm out and about but not bush walking. I find it has a good amount of room for my bits and pieces and easy to access if I need anything. Mosthly though, I try not to take a bag. Particularly if I'm at a festival, car show etc. I just stuff bits and pieces into the many pockets I have.

Cheers
Shane

Blackberner
24-05-2014, 11:17am
I recently bought a waist bag with a rather large front pouch and other assorted pockets but also a bottle holder. Great for keeping yourself hydrated as well as having a few extra places for putting other stuff. Only paid about $35.

Regards

Babu
07-06-2014, 12:13am
I agree with you Vince. The Lowepro Vertex 300 is a very useful bag for packing the gear needed for shooting weddings and other events requiring a couple of pro bodies and a range of lenses plus flashes and filters.
I find the Thinktank Airport Accelerator more useful if I'm packing a pro body with a 500mm lens attached, another pro body with a 24- 105mm or 24-70mm attached and a widey and other bits and pieces for wildlife/ adventure shoots.
If regional flights are involved, I find the Lowepro Vertex 200 works well for carry on as long as you can get by with a couple of bodies, a 100-400mm/ 70-200mm and a couple of smaller lenses and accessories.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you Vince. The Lowepro Vertex 300 is a very useful bag for packing the gear needed for shooting weddings and other events requiring a couple of pro bodies and a range of lenses plus flashes and filters.
I find the Thinktank Airport Accelerator more useful if I'm packing a pro body with a 500mm lens attached, another pro body with a 24- 105mm or 24-70mm attached and a widey and other bits and pieces for wildlife/ adventure shoots.
If regional flights are involved, I find the Lowepro Vertex 200 works well for carry on as long as you can get by with a couple of bodies, a 100-400mm/ 70-200mm and a couple of smaller lenses and accessories.

nc1183
25-06-2014, 9:20pm
I use a Tamrac Expedition 5 backpack, its a fair few years old now.

Andrew
21-07-2014, 10:12pm
Have now added a pelican case for an upcoming snow trip. Will add lots of silica!

pgbphotographytas
25-05-2015, 10:44am
I just found this case at Bunnings, might be useful.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/technician-case-tactix-bun-320064_p2583030

sufran
25-05-2015, 11:34am
Looks nice! I am finding that there is no perfect bag. I now have three different types I use as the occasion and location demands. I have a lowepro vertex for weddings, which I unpack and work from on location. I also bring a smallish camera shoulder bag (which fits a spare lens and a flash) for portrait location sessions, especially useful for creek beds and the like. And then I have two backpacks which I now only occasionally use. I was finding the process of carrying equipment in a backpack, putting it down, unzipping it and then repacking time-consuming plus the heavy weight on my back when the large backpack was fully loaded.

mikew09
25-05-2015, 3:51pm
Geez, this thread has been around a while. I remember when it was first started. Since the start I have gone through two bags, (backpads) and settled on one about 2.5 yrs ago and just love it still. Lowepro Flipside 400 AW.

One of the most comfortable backpacks I have and I carry a lot of gear. However the key feature that drove me to considering this bag was the access as it is from the back and I was getting a little tired of the dirt, mud etc that was getting on the back side of the bags that open from the front and consequently ends up on your back.
Additionally, it is virtually impossible to get into the bag where the camera gear is if in a crowd etc and the open side flap is against your back when being worn.

I have given a lot of thought to a pelican case, mostly around concerns of keeping the gear in a stable environment when during the the humid months of North West Qld but those concerns have since passed over the yrs.

I need something that can comfortably carry all my immediate gear and still be OK to take on aircraft - this bag works very well for me.

Babu
19-10-2015, 1:11pm
I have found the Pelican 1510 with padded dividers very useful. It has wheels, a pull out drag handle and is OK as a carry on case on most aircraft (it won't fit in the overhead lockers on some smaller planes used for regional flights).
However, I was glad I took my Vertex 200 instead on my recent trip to Madagascar and South Africa - even it only just fitted as underseat luggage on a flight from Nelspruit to Joburg.
I would have preferred the Pelican as it does a better job of protecting my 500mm f/4 II but it may have ended up as check in luggage on that flight and I couldn't countenance that.
So it seems that we need a range of bags/cases to cover different modes of transport.

peterv
25-01-2016, 10:15am
I use a Lowepro 450AW ProTactic.I can fit all my bodies/lenses and associated gear in it and attach the tripod to the outside,it is an excellent bag and has quality zips,good padding and of course plenty of room.Little heavy with 2 bodies,5 lenses,couple of flash and triggers etc.Only equipment that doesn't fit is light stands and backdrop which I have a separate carry bag that came with backdrop.

I store my gear in the big Lowepro as well so I can access at any time,if I am going to a school event I take a small Lowepro that came with the first kit I got and can fit body,couple of lenses,flash, spare stuff and is little easier than the backpack but for assignment shoots I take the big 450.

Morgo
25-01-2016, 2:15pm
I replaced my Lowepro 400 before going to Africa in 2014, since then I've been using a Gura Gear Bataflae 32L.

Great bag, does everything I need for carrying a big lens and gear.

I use Pelican cases for storage and transport when going by car.

Nowadays I'm after a smaller bag, to compliment the Bataflae, one for a minimal canon setup and another to take a Fuji kit to Europe.

enseth
25-01-2016, 3:50pm
Coincidently this advert came up on FB. Looks ok for the money but the quality is anyone's guess. Still I thought Id post the link anyway.

https://www.wish.com/c/55f138968d2aa5553a247bff

poorman
25-01-2016, 4:48pm
Coincidently this advert came up on FB. Looks ok for the money but the quality is anyone's guess. Still I thought Id post the link anyway.

https://www.wish.com/c/55f138968d2aa5553a247bff

lolcame up on my FB too still thinking about it / reviews say its small but I'm more concerned about padding "