PDA

View Full Version : Good book-Great tips!

sans2012
02-02-2007, 12:07am
I bought a good little book yesterday – ‘thats nice’, you say!

I like it because its not one of those photography books that craps on about the industry, and how the author made his millions shooting 3rd world countries and the poor people living in them. Its a book that dives straight into useful real-world amateur/hobbyist tips and tricks. Its tips from start to finish:)

I would recommend anyone into photography to take a look at this book. $29=cheap

I haven’t finished reading it yet, but here are some of my favourite tips so far:

Getting "Tack Sharp" Starts with a Tripod

Don't Shoot Down on Flowers

The Best Shot May Be Just Three Feet Away

Don't Wait for Rain Fake it!

Really though, I think these tips are catchy:D

Anyways thats it, check it out;)

The Digital Photography Book: The Step-By-Step Secrets for How to Make Your Photos Look Like the Pros'!

By Scott Kelby

LINK (http://shop.scottkelbybooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30)

Cheers!

Ronbo
02-02-2007, 1:41am
I'll have to look this one up...thanks Sans

Pam
02-02-2007, 7:14am
Me too, I do have another one of his books as well, but this one looks like the type that would help me
Pam

Zandri
02-02-2007, 7:33am
I might have a flick through this one and see what its like, Cheers sans2012

But if this is the author I'm thinking of, I once read one of his Photoshop books.. wasn't too impressed with his style of writting, didn't explain why he did anything just told what button to press and what value to put in.

minsky
02-02-2007, 10:00am
Thanks for the tip. I'll go take a look at it during lunch today

SirNobicus
05-02-2007, 5:05pm
hmmmm....
that sounds like some goodly reading there.

I'll have to have a look this week.

sans2012
05-02-2007, 6:42pm
I finished reading it the other night and to say the least I think it’s a great book. There’s a whole bunch of useful tips I will begin to utilise in my photography down the track. I really liked the no-nonsense approach the author takes.

Some books go into too much technical detail; sometimes this is fine if you want to learn the ins and outs of every detail regarding a specific function in photography. But sometimes its nice just to know “how they did that”.

Cheers!

andrask
06-02-2007, 8:22am
Fine pick, as usual, sans.

Scott Kelby is quite a prolific author of digital photography books with an approachable style and include those at the more detailed end of the spectrum e.g. "Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers".

I like one of the general advice you quoted: Don't Wait for Rain Fake it!

One of the books I mentioned in the older book thread in Off-Topic also suggested using ingenuity to fake it - Busselle's champagne popping shot. It seems the end justifies the means.