PDA

View Full Version : Print comes out darker then on the screen

Roof
04-05-2009, 9:31am
I printed a picture this morning and the print came out darker then it was on my screen...how do i fix this ???

Printer is a canon pixma........

print still looks good but, But it would be nice that if you print it actually looks as it is on your screen.............

Is this a calibration issue...??

Thanks people

mudman
04-05-2009, 10:03am
Try reducing the saturation of thde image before printing. The saturation can increase in the print process

Roof
04-05-2009, 10:21am
i can'tr imagine that bringing down saturation levels is going to make it lighter...but i can have a go at it.

ta

tonykieuphotography
04-05-2009, 10:35am
DO you have your screen calibrated?
Or maybe does it need a calibration?
I found out that my prints were very misleading before I got my spyder pro.
Cheers,
Tony

mcdesign
04-05-2009, 10:58am
With LCD you very rarely get a good match, 10% is the closest I can get with calibrated monitor (X-Rite Eye one) and dedicated ICC profiles, CRT monitors were more accurate by far, I got prints to an exact match then. Margaret

ricktas
04-05-2009, 12:53pm
Most likely a screen calibration issue.

ving
04-05-2009, 1:57pm
if all else fails calibrate either the printer to you monitor of more likely monitor to printer

simply hold yer printout up to the screen and have the same picture on the screen... now make the monitor look like the printout... its a bit vague but should do the job. alas if the printer is out then the pics on the screen will always look wrong to you :)

Roof
04-05-2009, 2:42pm
if all else fails calibrate either the printer to you monitor of more likely monitor to printer

simply hold yer printout up to the screen and have the same picture on the screen... now make the monitor look like the printout... its a bit vague but should do the job. alas if the printer is out then the pics on the screen will always look wrong to you :)

Now that makes sense, I'll give that a shot...cheers

If i could afford one of them spyders i would buy one......

discontinued
04-05-2009, 2:48pm
I get the same problem - have to keep remembering that my screen is a lot brighter, I have a print at home action set up that automatically lightens and adjusts the colour on a copy. That way I can print it at home but I still have the original for screen viewing and printing at a lab.

Lani
04-05-2009, 4:09pm
I get the same problem - have to keep remembering that my screen is a lot brighter, I have a print at home action set up that automatically lightens and adjusts the colour on a copy. That way I can print it at home but I still have the original for screen viewing and printing at a lab.

I have ended up doing the same thing Salli, monitor is calibrated but printer seems to output much more cyan than other colours, so I have added a screen layer set to 70%, and get pretty close. The only way to get a mono print is to let the printer manage colour, instead of photoshop. :confused013

One of the most frustrating aspects of my workflow....:rolleyes:

mcdesign
04-05-2009, 4:17pm
A link to Imagescience with information on calibration and printing.

http://www.imagescience.com.au/

Margaret

Roof
04-05-2009, 4:56pm

My screen becomes very dark, so not the solution....have to have a think..

Thanks people for hints and tips

ving
04-05-2009, 5:03pm
is your printer calibratable then?

Roof
04-05-2009, 7:35pm
and how do i do that, in saying that, it means , I don't know

arthurking83
04-05-2009, 8:10pm
Could also be the software you use to print the image with Roof!!

I once had a go at printing via PS(long, long time ago, when I knew less than nothing!) and I remember I had brightness issues.
Then I just used the supplied Canon software, easy photo print or whatever it's called and it simply vanished! :confused:

No idea why, only that it seemed to work better that way.
Of course I printed a few smallish 4x6's before I printed an A4 to confirm that.

Do all my PP-ing with my editor, and then once the jpg is finished, I may print the image, but only via the Canon software.

printer profiles maybe?? maybe it recognises the paper more accurately.. no idea only why, only that it works well.

ps. I have to say tho I hardly ever print. Maybe only 10 images in the last three years or so, and even then usually a print of some family oriented photo for my mum or sis, or whoever.

Roof
05-05-2009, 6:33am
I used the easyprint software AK but it came out dark, and last night i used LR and same deal so it looks like a monitor issue but if i adjust my monitor to the darkness of the print as what ving sugested it's not really nice to look at.....the way i have my setup is my computer and my wife's lappie are networked and the printer is connected to the lappie so i print via printer sharing. i'm going to have a go at connectint the printer to my computer and then make a few test prints.........and honestly how do you calibrate a printer.....i did a search on the net yesterday and someone had the same printer and printed some images and they looked identical to what was on the screen so it could just be a problem here.

But hey that's computers for ya.................

ricktas
05-05-2009, 6:56am
You calibrate a printer using the same technique as for a screen. The Colorvision Spyder people make a printer calibration tool as well. Basically you print a set sheet (looks like a colour chart) then the calibration tool is scanned over the print, and a printer profile is created.

DanNG
08-05-2009, 12:06am
Your screen should be dark once calibrated (well... relative to the original brightness),
a good target is Luminance: 120-140cd/m2... once I lowered the luminance on my monitor to 120.. I started getting perfect matches to print.