PDA

View Full Version : LCD Monitor - Suggestion

bee
29-04-2009, 10:09pm
Hello,
I'm in a market for new LCD monitor and would like suggestion on what to get that is good for image editing.
Any particular brand ? Or particular spec such as resolution, brightness, etc etc ?

Thank you in advance.

I @ M
30-04-2009, 5:58am
bee, that is a very broad range to consider.
I think that you will receive more realistic replies if you indicate the maximum dollar amount that you are considering spending.

ricktas
30-04-2009, 7:31am
You will also find investing in a decent hardware monitor callibration device is going to ensure your photo editing is going to result in good results. Agree with Andrew, depends on budget, if money isnt an issue, an Eizo screen (http://www.imagescience.com.au/categories/Eizo-Monitors/?gclid=CIG7jtqEl5oCFc0tpAodznC1OA) is damn nice, but it really depends on what you want to spend.

Calxoddity
30-04-2009, 8:38am
Bee,
Without getting into brand specifics, the type of panel is important for colour consistency/quality across various viewing angles.

There's three main technologies in use for lcd panels - TN, S-PVA, and S-IPS:
TN- is fastest refresh time, which is important for gaming, but colour changes according the angle of view (apparent brightness, contrast, saturation). You'll generally recognise these panels from that behavior when you look at them, or by the specs with quote 160 degree view angles (sometimes 170)
S-PVA - you'll see these in the upper ranges of consumer lcd screens. More accurate colours and wider viewing angles (178 degrees). The good Dell 24" monitors are an example of these
S-IPS - again, you'll see these types of panel in the upper consumer ranges and Apple iMacs, as well as professional screens (expensive) such as top-line HP and Eizo. More accurate colours and again the wider (178-ish degree) viewing angle

There's other factors such as colour gamut range etc that can make a difference also, but as general guidance a big (24" or maybe larger if you can afford it) S-PVA or S-IPS lcd monitor is bliss for viewing or editing photos. I recommend you don't get a TN panel - might be cheap, but ultimately frustrating for your intended purpose.

oh, one other point - glossy versus matt. Properly calibrated, it comes down to personal preference. Some claim glossy is distracting and the "punch" of the photos is exaggerated, whilst others claim matt is dull and lifeless. Suggest you look at both in real life and make up your own mind.

Regards,
Calx

Lani
30-04-2009, 9:07am
You will also find investing in a decent hardware monitor callibration device is going to ensure your photo editing is going to result in good results. Agree with Andrew, depends on budget, if money isnt an issue, an Eizo screen (http://www.imagescience.com.au/categories/Eizo-Monitors/?gclid=CIG7jtqEl5oCFc0tpAodznC1OA) is damn nice, but it really depends on what you want to spend.

Any idea where would you see/get an Eizo screen in Tassie, Rick?

Analog6
30-04-2009, 9:40am
Here is the Ezio home site http://www.eizo.com.au/

There is one Tassie dealer listed:
Tasmania
ICC Imagetec ICC Imagetec
ph: 03 6223 7882
fax: 03 9223 7885
email: mail@iccimagetec.com.au

TOM
30-04-2009, 9:46am
i second Rick's suggestion, Eizo is the standard to which all others are measured.

GregoryH
30-04-2009, 10:29am
Hi Bee, I'm lucky enough to have an Eizo monitor. As the others have said they are a great monitor. When I was deciding which monitor to buy I could access many of the standard monitors through work, and there was a huge difference in how the photos were rendered. I justified my monitor by the fact that we may send thousands of dollars on the camera and lens (in some cases a lot more than that) and then we use a $300 monitor that is designed to show text.

Whatever you end up getting, invest in a monitor calibrator (mine came with the Eizo). They work so much better than trying to set a monitor up by eye.

Lani
30-04-2009, 11:33am
Here is the Ezio home site http://www.eizo.com.au/

There is one Tassie dealer listed:
Tasmania
ICC Imagetec ICC Imagetec
ph: 03 6223 7882
fax: 03 9223 7885
email: mail@iccimagetec.com.au

Thanks Odille. :)

bee
30-04-2009, 12:41pm
bee, that is a very broad range to consider.
I think that you will receive more realistic replies if you indicate the maximum dollar amount that you are considering spending.

Hello, Thank you for the reply.
Im probably looking at spending less than $1000.
I already have a monitor callibration unit, Pantone Huey - Monitor Calibration. Do you guys think this unit is good enough for calibrating monitor ?

bee
30-04-2009, 1:14pm
There's three main technologies in use for lcd panels - TN, S-PVA, and S-IPS:
TN- is fastest refresh time, which is important for gaming, but colour changes according the angle of view (apparent brightness, contrast, saturation). You'll generally recognise these panels from that behavior when you look at them, or by the specs with quote 160 degree view angles (sometimes 170)
S-PVA - you'll see these in the upper ranges of consumer lcd screens. More accurate colours and wider viewing angles (178 degrees). The good Dell 24" monitors are an example of these
S-IPS - again, you'll see these types of panel in the upper consumer ranges and Apple iMacs, as well as professional screens (expensive) such as top-line HP and Eizo. More accurate colours and again the wider (178-ish degree) viewing angle

Regards,
Calx

Hei Calx,

I narrowed down to Samsung or Dell monitor.
I had a look at Dell 24":
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/24lcd?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn
Dell UltraSharp™ 2408WFP 24" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor has a VA Panel type, do you think this is good enough ?
Also, may I ask why TN panel is not good ?

Or in Samsung:
2333SW
http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=computerperipherals&type=monitor&subtype=lcdmonitor&model_cd=LS23CMZKFV/XY&fullspec=F

But Samsung do not provide information of what type of panel this one is. Can someone help ?

Thank you very much for all your help.

bee
30-04-2009, 1:20pm
One more technical questions, hope you guys dont get annoyed :D

Contrast Ratio
1000:1 (typical)

Does it matter ?

Brightness
300 cd/m2 (typical)

What number should I aim for ?

Response Time
5 ms (grey-to-grey)

What is response time ? Is this means the time taken to response to change in frame and more important for gaming ? I suppose gamer wants smaller response time such as 2 ms to prevent lagging, but it does not concern much for image editing ?

Thanks again.

Calxoddity
30-04-2009, 1:37pm
Bee,
I understand from reviews that the Huey is okay for single monitor use.

As for the budget of $1,000 - that will buy you an Eizo brochure.... ;) Even their 19" monitors are more than that rrp.

The Dell 2408WFP is currently just under $1,000 - but Dell regularly have specials on these that knock a hundred or two off the price.

Good luck!

Regards,
Calx

bee
30-04-2009, 2:14pm
As for the budget of $1,000 - that will buy you an Eizo brochure.... ;) Even their 19" monitors are more than that rrp.

The Dell 2408WFP is currently just under $1,000 - but Dell regularly have specials on these that knock a hundred or two off the price.

Hehe once my photos are published on magazine and get full frame body, I'll get that Eizo monitor.

So Dell 2408WFP is a better option that the Samsung ?

Thanks.

nisstrust
30-04-2009, 2:30pm
A good place to start is:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

There are a good number of reviews there, and a lot of helpful hints and tips on all those little specifications you wanted info on.

I myself went for the NEC LCD2490WUXi, not cheap but i justified it by the fact that i print images for clients and i want the best colour representation as possible. As mentioned by Rick and others here, you need to start thinking about the entire workflow in terms of colour calibration in the form of a calibration tool as well. The Pantone Huey that you own will do the job.

kwokask
30-04-2009, 2:36pm
If you had asked this question a week earlier, I would have suggested the Dell 2209WA (22", S-IPS) for ~$290, as it was a $100 off special.

I bought one, is fantastic for photos when calibrated (better than my PVA Dell 2405FPW).