PDA

View Full Version : Not the right type of document?

matilda
28-04-2009, 3:15pm
I sold my laptop and upgraded my computer to a desktop. More room and more ram. I also got photoshop cs4. I now how a problem.

I can not open ANY nef (raw) photo's in photoshop. It comes up with this error.

Cannot complete your request as it is not the right type of document

I have no idea why it is doing this, would anyone be able to help me?

Lani
28-04-2009, 3:16pm
Have you got Adobe bridge installed?

matilda
28-04-2009, 3:18pm
i don't know, i haven't checked... that and my husband set everything up for me.

I'll double check. and if he hasn't I'll get him to do so.

matilda
28-04-2009, 3:21pm
ok I've gone to the bridge, and that opens up fine but I still have the same problem. It just comes up with a generic icon when you look at the nef file.

I am re:installing the software that came with the nikon d90 so mayby that will solve it.

ricktas
28-04-2009, 3:39pm
download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw from the Adobe site, and install it. The ACR plugin is what lets PS/Bridge view NEF's, maybe your ACR is corrupt.

matilda
28-04-2009, 3:47pm
well i reinstalled the program that came with the camera so i can view my raw files there, but still can't open them in photoshop.

downloading that program now.

Thanks rick.

matilda
28-04-2009, 3:59pm
still no luck

i downloaded this (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4220) update and it didn't work.

I'm still having the same problem.

ricktas
28-04-2009, 4:02pm
If you have installed this today, have you restarted the PC since installing everything?

MarkW
28-04-2009, 5:00pm
Assuming this is Windoze - don't you have to add the Windows RAW file viewer or similar before you can view RAW images??

matilda
28-04-2009, 5:32pm
yeah i restarted (twice).

I wasn't running the patch right, but dh fixed it now. thank god.

thanks for all your help everyone.

Lani
28-04-2009, 5:37pm
Woo hoo, I was hoping you'd get it sorted out, thank goodness for dh :D

ricktas
28-04-2009, 6:05pm
Assuming this is Windoze - don't you have to add the Windows RAW file viewer or similar before you can view RAW images??

For info, even though the issue as been resolved. The Windows RAW viewer is just for viewing raw files in explorer, Photoshop etc can view RAW files without the Windows RAW viewer.