PDA

View Full Version : Lowepro flipside 400

B D H
27-04-2009, 10:26pm
I've had this bag for a couple of weeks now
what can I say - Brilliant
It fits everything you see on my signature including tripod or monopod
the great thing about it,is the bag swings around to the front after you've disengaged the shoulder straps & opens from the back supporting itself against the waist straps
Kinda feels like you're selling icecreams at the football but it is very convenient when it comes to changing lenses etc & quick too!
the only downside I can think of is when someone picked it up off the couch thinking it was closed not realising it opened from the rear & spilled thankfully only the efs17-85mm onto the carpet, I take care to Zip it up each time now
My rating: 9/10

Jez
28-04-2009, 8:42am
Thanks bryan, I'm off to the shops today to get a backpack. My little Nova 2 can't fit everything in it anymore. I have been looking at this one and the Vertex 100. The flipside is $80 cheaper and will do everything I want so i'm leaning towards the flipside. I will try both on and have a closer look in the shop.

Thanks for the review.

Jez.

enduro
06-01-2010, 12:40am
hmm ... I'm considerign this pack after some searching around.

Can you give us an update on your thoughts on the pack a year on?

I can't see the gear you have in your sig - you have most likely changed it since your OP.

peterking
06-01-2010, 1:07am
I've had the Slingshot 350 for over a year and a half now and whilst I've never left Australia with it it has travel over most of the southwest and been to Brisbane a couple of times and on of those was via Sydney for 8.5 hours.
All with no problem and for me a lot easier than the Flipside.

enduro
06-01-2010, 8:24am
I've had the Slingshot 350 for over a year and a half now and whilst I've never left Australia with it it has travel over most of the southwest and been to Brisbane a couple of times and on of those was via Sydney for 8.5 hours.
All with no problem and for me a lot easier than the Flipside.

Can you tell me how you have found the Slingshot easier than the Flipside?

I'm out all day sometimes and my concern with the Slingshot is having the weight on one shoulder for that length of time.

Sarge
06-01-2010, 1:49pm
I have the Flipside 200 AW and find it great. I mean it's not going to fit a big lens in but it gets all my gear in fine.

Recently in Albany - Lake Seppings I was shooting Blue-billed Ducks and Musk Ducks etc. and as I was riding (it was quicker this way, and when I didn't need it I left it by the pump while shooting) I needed quick access to my lense, as it was a bit dangerous holding my camera while riding (even though I did:o). All I had to do was swing the bag around unzip it, and shoot away, I just left the bag hanging down as there was nobody about, so nobody was there to laugh at me.:D I find it a great bag, though what Byran said has happened to me a couple of times as well. My bag also fits my tripod on the back.:) It's also very supportive when you have the waist strap on (I don't usually have it on, but did as I was riding this time) and I found my back didn't get tired quickly, as I was shooting half the day, it distributed the weight nicely.

My 2c worth.
Tim

rogklee
06-01-2010, 5:50pm
I got the flipside 300, its pretty good, holds all my gear well as well as my tripod.

Only problem is that it does feel a little topheavy with a lot of weight on the underarms, where the straps are. Otherwise its perfect.

phild
06-01-2010, 6:51pm
I have the Flipside 400 as well, for me it's nowhere near as comfortable as my old Orion Trekker, I find the Flipside 400 makes my shoulders and neck ache if I'm using it for any more than an hour or so. The shoulder straps seem to have a tendancy to slide outwards rather than stay put on my shoulders.

I've done a side by side comparison with a mate's Slingshot 200, I did find the Flipside a lot more comfortable than the Slingshot.

B D H
07-01-2010, 10:16am
hmm ... I'm considerign this pack after some searching around.

Can you give us an update on your thoughts on the pack a year on?

I can't see the gear you have in your sig - you have most likely changed it since your OP.

I just noticed this thread
the FS 400 is still great, but like Phil said it can get a little uncomfortable after a while, I'm pretty much used to it now
I can carry the 7D with 100-400 IS attached plus flash & 3 other lenses including a 70-200 F4L & tripod

kevinj
07-01-2010, 6:55pm
I`ve had the Flipside 400AW for over 6 months and have always found it very comfortable to wear,and ,as I found out recently,the all weather cover works very well.Highly recomend it.

Darchangel
04-02-2010, 6:24pm
Out of all the Lowepro, ThinkTank and various other bag makers I've looked at, the FS400 just keeps coming up as the pick of the crop for my needs. However, one question I couldn't get an answer to from the myriad of reviews on the net was whether the tripod holder can handle something like a Manfrotto 055XBPRO or similar, or is it limited to the 100 dollar jobbies you buy from a Kodak store?

Captured Exposure
04-02-2010, 6:50pm
I have the FS 300 and so far has met all my needs. Can carry everything, Filters, Tripod, 3 Lenses, Camera, Cleaners etc.

Great little bag.

enduro
04-02-2010, 6:55pm
I have the FS 300 and so far has met all my needs. Can carry everything, Filters, Tripod, 3 Lenses, Camera, Cleaners etc.

Great little bag.

Thanks for the info.

Can we know which tripod you have?

Captured Exposure
05-02-2010, 2:56pm
I have a Velbon 803R.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4894.htm

Bill44
05-02-2010, 5:26pm
I tried my mates Flipside 400 a couple of times, pick mine up next week.

enduro
09-02-2010, 12:35am
I really like a snack or two and a bit of water when out and about and see the Flipside 400mm has a section on the rear for that seems to fit sationary etc. Will it fit a 1L or better 2L of water and couple of sandwiches at least?

Some of the Lowepro bags will accommodate Lowepro add-ons on the sides, does this bag feature those?

Darchangel
09-02-2010, 12:06pm
Picked mine up on the weekend, $200 but worth it.

Yeah, there's some room in the back of the bag. You could easil fit snacks, but doubt you'd fit 1 or 2L bottles in there as well. There are two stretchy mesh pockets on the sides which could easily fit a 600ml bottle each, and yes, there's a couple of slip-lock tabs on the straps that go over your shoulders and what looks like 2 more on the side of the bag. The website only mentions they are there, not how many, so assume 2 for sure, but maybe 4.

Hope it helps. It's a great bag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enduro
09-02-2010, 1:07pm
Good thread,

I'm contemplating ordering one this week.

Darchangel
09-02-2010, 1:45pm
The only thing is that I'm not convinced a largish tripod would be too secure on the back. I'm planning on getting a Manfrotto 055XBPro and sizing it mentally I reckon it'd poke up too far. It would definately fit my plastic fantastic though. There's also some clip straps on the top of the bag, but the curve across the top makes this more suited to a jacket than a rigid object.

enduro
09-02-2010, 1:52pm
I just ordered the '400 and it will be here tomorrow so there's no turning back now!

I have the Manfrotto 190xpro-b and won't be changing tripods for a while, I expect it will fit well.

The onle design flaw as I see it will be having to carry the tripod when the rain cover is up! It really shouldn't have been too hard for the designers to have worked out how to have the tripod on the outside while the cover is up.

Bill44
09-02-2010, 2:07pm
I finally pick mine up Thursday, $164.00, not sure if I'm allowed to say where but if you PM me I'll spill the info.

enduro
09-02-2010, 2:10pm
I finally pick mine up Thursday, $164.00, not sure if I'm allowed to say where but if you PM me I'll spill the info.

Good price. mine's $20 more locally and dropped off for free!

abitfishy
09-02-2010, 2:42pm
OK, can I ask, if used the majority of the time only lightly laden, is the 400 overkill? Meaning is it really too much bag to carry around for light trips maybe involving Sydney public transport etc?

Edit: You know what would be good? A bag that has an additional large compartment that can be zipped/clipped on or off depending on whether you need to travel light or heavy.

enduro
09-02-2010, 3:02pm
OK, can I ask, if used the majority of the time only lightly laden, is the 400 overkill? Meaning is it really too much bag to carry around for light trips maybe involving Sydney public transport etc?

Edit: You know what would be good? A bag that has an additional large compartment that can be zipped/clipped on or off depending on whether you need to travel light or heavy.

For light trips I take my Lowepro TLZ-Mini . TLZ or just a Catepillar sling bag I picked up at luggage shop. The latter can hold either of the bags previously mentioned and a second lens (in it's case), mob phone etc easily. I took the bag to a boot maker who added straps and clips so I can take my tripod along too.

Darchangel
09-02-2010, 5:10pm
I'm actually surprised by how small it is. I lug a laptop backpack around for work, and find the Lowepro to be roughly the same size but shorter in length (sits above belt level). I'm not particularly tall either.

It might be overkill to some if u aren't taking a lot of gear, but it's no humungous beast either. Probably the same size as a typical high-school backpack.

enduro
10-02-2010, 7:31pm
Lowepro Flipside 400 AW arrived today and I am about to head out with it.

Fits nearly all my gear: will have to choose my lenses carefully.

Only downside is the 155 XPro-B is top heavy on the tripod carrier, hangs back and wobbles all over the place. Fortunately the 155 XPro-B snaps apart in a jiffy and can be stored and strapped into the side pouches well. I may be taking it over to the local to have some additional straps put on to support the tripod better so it can do the job nicely.

rossco
10-02-2010, 8:44pm
i have had the flipside 400 for a year or so, carries a 20d. 100-400l. 24-105 l, nifty 50, 100mm macro , 580 flash and some stuff, only draw back is my older style heavy frotto swing around a bit, but i love it, i took it to vietnam and walked for ages

enduro
10-02-2010, 10:32pm
i have had the flipside 400 for a year or so, carries a 20d. 100-400l. 24-105 l, nifty 50, 100mm macro , 580 flash and some stuff, only draw back is my older style heavy frotto swing around a bit, but i love it, i took it to vietnam and walked for ages

To combat the swinging tripod, I added a peice of nylon strapping and buckle (can get this from any hiking/outdoors shop) and attached it to the tripod and the lift handle on the top of the bag. The tripod hugs in really tight now. :)

Next week I'll make up a quick release version.

abitfishy
10-02-2010, 11:00pm
Probably the same size as a typical high-school backpack.

Thanks mate. I just measured my wifes work bag (backpack) compared to the quoted specs on the Lowepro 400 and they are pretty similar, so you're right, its not overly huge. And that spare space can always be used for lunch, book to read on the train etc etc.

soulman
11-02-2010, 4:09pm
one question I couldn't get an answer to from the myriad of reviews on the net was whether the tripod holder can handle something like a Manfrotto 055XBPRO or similarThere a quite a few good reviews on B&H about this bag. Most people who commented on this said that tripods tend to hang too far from the centre of balance. I haven't used mine with a tripod yet, but people have suggested trying to carry it on the side or even across the top.

I searched and searched for a replacement for my Slingshot bag, which is fantastic but got too small. Like others found, the 400AW kept coming up as the right bag and it gets excellent reviews compared to the others I was looking at. I'm happy with mine after a few weeks but there is no doubt that if you fill it up, you will feel it after an hour or two. Others may have tougher backs than mine but I get a bit sore after a while.

Bill44
11-02-2010, 4:48pm
Just got back from Sydney with my new one. Not being one to waste the visit to Sydney we fill it up with bottles of Chinese cooking wine that we can't get up here on the Central Coast. Far more weight than the camera gear will be and it felt like a dream on my back, BTW that's a 65yo back too.

The big thing is to make use of the many adjustments on the straps, a small adjustment can make a big difference in comfort, particularly as to getting some of the weight onto your hips instead of it all being on your shoulders (old army trick).

Darchangel
12-03-2010, 5:01pm
Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but having just started putting my new gear in the bag, I've snagged an issue I'm interested in hearing your opinions on:

Since the zip doesn't go quite to the bottom of the bag, I find that it constantly flips back in my face when I'm trying to take gear in and out of it, and it makes it a pain in the proverbial to carefully position a heavy camera\lens combo into the bag.

Does anyone else have this issue? Will it get better over time as the foam degrades a bit to make it easier to bend the backplate back (mine is brand new)? Cheers.

Bill44
12-03-2010, 5:22pm
When loading (or unloading) new Flipside, put bag on table with bottom facing you, undo bag and hold flap under chin, load/unload bag.

Will get better with time.:th3:

Darchangel
12-03-2010, 5:46pm
Lol, ok, thanks for that, will persevere with it. Luckily I have a spare chin to assist the first one ;)

soulman
12-03-2010, 6:30pm
I do the same with mine. It's not as easy to get things in & out of the bottom as it could be.

rogklee
12-03-2010, 7:02pm
yah bottom is hard but i leave stuff I dont use often there, such as a rainproof jacket!!

enduro
12-03-2010, 7:11pm
Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but having just started putting my new gear in the bag, I've snagged an issue I'm interested in hearing your opinions on:

Since the zip doesn't go quite to the bottom of the bag, I find that it constantly flips back in my face when I'm trying to take gear in and out of it, and it makes it a pain in the proverbial to carefully position a heavy camera\lens combo into the bag.

Does anyone else have this issue? Will it get better over time as the foam degrades a bit to make it easier to bend the backplate back (mine is brand new)? Cheers.

I never had such an issue with the flap - perhaps it's because I am 185cm.

When taking gear out I nearly always loosen the shoulder straps and then rotate the bag to the front or side position, that way I have plenty of space for my arms to access the gear. Also I do tend to drop to one knee and rest the bag on the thigh of the other leg. This technique stabalizes the bag.

Darchangel
12-03-2010, 7:52pm
It's not a problem with stabalization though, I find that with a solid foam back pad that extends past the zipper opening, I'm bending the solid back panel just to open the bag. Obviously the foam is designed to resist mishaping via it's spring (so it protects the contents) but this results in the bag resisting being opened.

I actually thought of the possibility of me having a dud bag, but definately not by the sounds of the responses.