PDA

View Full Version : DampRid - Calcium Chloride

Bear Dale
21-04-2009, 10:55am
I bought a few bags of a product called DampRid in Bunnings yesterday to put in my wardrobe that I store all my gear in. On the packet it says Calcium Chloride.

I thought those little satches you get in boxes had silica gel. Will this stuff I bought be ok?

Kym
21-04-2009, 10:58am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_Chloride

It is a salt. So be careful. It is hygroscopic so that's good. But don't get any on your gear.

Seesee
21-04-2009, 1:08pm
I reckon Kyms advice would be wise, but maybe a better cheaper alternative is common Rice...yes Rice.

Just for added info....Rice is used for long term storage of seed for replanting, used by seed storage organisations as it keeps the moisture under control. Same idea as placing a couple of grains of rice in your home salt shaker to stop it clogging from moisture.

Bear Dale
21-04-2009, 1:38pm
Thanks for the feedback....these packets may be going back to the returns desk at Bunnings.

Kym
21-04-2009, 1:40pm
Thanks for the feedback....these packets may be going back to the returns desk at Bunnings.

Maybe if you leave them at the bottom of your wardrobe on a sheet of plastic and don't actually stack anything on them it would keep things dryer.