PDA

View Full Version : Too Light Or Too Dark?

WoundWowfanAU
19-04-2009, 11:45am
Hey Guys,

I havent posted in ages but since I last posted I have got myself a Canon 40D with 17-85mm Lens IS USM and one of the major problems I seem to have is that when I take a photo, it is either over-exposed or underexposed, the forground would be for example too dark and the sky would be ok, or visa versa any suggestions?

Also too I am trying to learn Photoshop but not sure how to correct such a thing? :confused013 :confused013

Jcas
19-04-2009, 2:06pm
I have the 40D and don't have any probs like that, i would first try and see if i could try another lens and see if it still exists.

WoundWowfanAU
19-04-2009, 6:18pm
Unfortunatly, I dont have another lens..... :(

arthurking83
19-04-2009, 10:02pm
It's just a normal exposure issue that many photographers have to deal with. dynamic range!!

The sky is 'usually' so much brighter than a foreground it's always a compromise to have to deal with.

post a photo as an example, with a few bits of info such as time of day, and what direction(relative to the sun) you were shooting .. etc.

eg. if shooting into a setting(or rising) sun, you might find that you need something like 1/6400s at f/8 for the sky, but closer to 1/30s at f/8 for the foreground. That's too much dynamic range for the camera to handle properly, without filters or heavy software manipulation of the final image.